ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN downgrade to “work to do”

SteelBowl70

Redshirt
Mar 12, 2016
Pitt downgraded from “should be in” to “work to do” joining 22 other teams vying for 17 at large slots with 22 locks and 5 should be in teams.

ACC has only 3 locks and 4 work to dos. PSU, Michigan and WVU also in this category. There’s a reference to Pitt’s “bubbly NET” and the opportunity to beat Miami or face a higher quality team in the ACCT which won’t happen in any Weds game unless VT loses to FSU and becomes the 12 seed. Most likely UNC, or NC State or will have VT in their bracket. A 5 seed Pitt will have GT/FSU and then Dukes

Updated NET has Michigan 54, Pitt 55 and PSU 56.

Last edited:
Pitt downgraded from “should be in” to “work to do” joining 22 other teams vying for 17 at large slots with 22 locks and 5 should be in teams.

ACC has only 3 locks and 4 work to dos. PSU, Michigan and WVU also in this category. There’s a reference to Pitt’s “bubbly NET” and the opportunity to beat Miami or face a higher quality team in the ACCT which won’t happen in any Weds game unless VT loses to FSU and becomes the 12 seed. Most likely UNC, or NC State or will have VT in their bracket. A 5 seed Pitt will have GT/FSU and then Dukes

Damn now we're in the Work to Do category? That sucks.

Does ESPN have any insight to what the selection committee is thinking? Seems they aren’t close to correct whether it be NCAA Tournament bids or bowl projections.

They’re not wrong either.

I'm afraid of who we have to do this work against.

Sweeping Miami, particularly with this one being on the road, is a tall task.

And Duke poses a bad matchup, in my opinion.

And it seems that beating a team like GT or FSU would be the equivalent of not playing a game at all, NET-wise.

Like, do we really have to beat either Miami or Duke (assuming that's our draw) to get in? That would suck.

Really don't want to see FSU again. Their length is a tough matchup. This team has come so far it would just break my heart not to make the big dance.

I'm afraid of who we have to do this work against.

Sweeping Miami, particularly with this one being on the road, is a tall task.

And Duke poses a bad matchup, in my opinion.

And it seems that beating a team like GT or FSU would be the equivalent of not playing a game at all, NET-wise.

Like, do we really have to beat either Miami or Duke (assuming that's our draw) to get in? That would suck.
I agree and think that’s where Pitt is right now because of last night. Some of us forewarned that losing last night was not like losing to FSU where there were ample opportunities for recovering. If Pitt had UL at home this weekend like UVA does, they could still wrap up a 1/2 seed and double bye and NCAA bid.

I doubt if any ACC team (since expansion to even 32 or certainly 48 teams) has ever gone from being in first place on the last day of the season to the NIT but here we are. Perhaps Dayton could be an option if they lose out.

Really don't want to see FSU again. Their length is a tough matchup. This team has come so far it would just break my heart not to make the big dance.
I really really really don’t want to see them play Wednesday. While UNC is also competing for those last bids, we need to somehow still get the double bye which might come down to UNC beating Duke.

I really really really don’t want to see them play Wednesday. While UNC is also competing for those last bids, we need to somehow still get the double bye which might come down to UNC beating Duke.
If making the tourney is the goal, we need all bubble teams to lose. Don’t think they would take UNC over Pitt even with two head to head losses.

Also, on team rankings odds dropped from 75 plus to 46% this morning. A lot of people likely had last night assumed as a win.

I think right now, Pitt has a lot of work to do to get into the NCAAT. With the games we have to play, it's no better than a tossup. We should logically be in, considering our record and who we have beaten. But now logic disappears and they use garbage like NET and other computer analytics to choose teams. So who knows.

How many ACC teams do you believe eventually are selected?

At least 5? Probably 6? A chance at 7?

I see Pitt in no matter what. Would feel even better with my no matter what, with the double bye.

I see Pitt in no matter what. Would feel even better with my no matter what, with the double bye.
Pitt is not in no matter what.

Reactions: nycpanther98
Pitt is not in no matter what.
14-7 in the league and 21-11 does not get you in?

Wins over Nortwestern, UNC twice, NC St, UVA and Miami.

Wins over Wake, Syr twice

Looks like a resume that is capable of and deserves a chance to compete.

Wins against the best and wins on the road are more determinant than road losses to "bad?" Teams.

Again, how many ACC teams do you see in?

I think the ACC gets 5 teams in: Duke, UVA, Miami, NCState and one of either Pitt or Clemson. I'd feel a lot better if we could beat Miami. I think that would make us a lock at that point. But if only 5 ACC teams get in, which is my assumption, then Pitt has some work to do. That means either beat Miami or win your first ACCT game minimum, or both.

I think the ACC gets 5 teams in: Duke, UVA, Miami, NCState and one of either Pitt or Clemson. I'd feel a lot better if we could beat Miami. I think that would make us a lock at that point. But if only 5 ACC teams get in, which is my assumption, then Pitt has some work to do. That means either beat Miami or win your first ACCT game minimum, or both.
How often has the ACC received 5 bids or less?

It has been a while since I looked, but they were projected at 6,68 bids

And we will have at least a 2 game lead on NC St and beat them at their place, but they are solidly in and we are not?

It has been a while since I looked, but they were projected at 6,68
How often is the league this bad? At least by all the talking heads and metrics.

I don't know. But this could be one of those years. The ACC is perceived to be down this year and not on par with the Big 12 or B1G. I think a case can be made to say that. And the ACC getting 6 bids will be someone being really generous and letting in someone like UNC or Wake, neither deserving of a bid.

If we get the double bye, teams will be losing while we are not playing.

Then we lose to Duke. What impact will that have? I think next to none.

Pitt is one of the top 5 (so is Clemson) as things currently sit.

UNC and NC St can break into the top 5.

If they do, I only see the ACC adding bids.

We complain about the Big 10, ND, Duke, UNC, etc getting special treatment.

Come selection day, the talking heads will be debating why this or that ACC team got in, but they will be in.

"Down" year or not.

Last edited:
We need to win another game to feel good on Selection Sunday. We have a few hideous losses, including last night.
We are probably in no matter what, but if we lose out and other games break the wrong way....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT