ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN, FOX Sports, Turner Sports creating joint streaming service

HailToPitt725

Head Coach
May 16, 2016
What’s significant about this is that subscribers will have access to linear channels such as ESPN, ESPN2, and the ACC Network without needing a cable provider.

Last edited:
What’s significant about this is that subscribers will have access to linear channels such as ESPN, ESPN2, and the ACC Network without needing a cable provider.

Good. The only reason to have cable, satellite, or a streaming substitute (like YouTube TV) is for live sports. If I can get ESPN and Fox, I dont need live TV. This new service + Netflix + an alternating lineup every 6 months or so of Paramount+, Apple TV, HBO, and Showtime and I'm good. You dont need more than 2 streaming providers at once. Get them for a few months, watch what you need to then dump.

Good. The only reason to have cable, satellite, or a streaming substitute (like YouTube TV) is for live sports. If I can get ESPN and Fox, I dont need live TV. This new service + Netflix + an alternating lineup every 6 months or so of Paramount+, Apple TV, HBO, and Showtime and I'm good. You dont need more than 2 streaming providers at once. Get them for a few months, watch what you need to then dump.
If it were just me (I’m outnumbered by the ladies in our household :) ), I’d ditch YouTube TV and only have this new sports streaming service plus a digital antenna that feeds into our Apple TV box via HDHomeRun or Tablo.

That’s really all sports fans would ever need, except for the occasional Amazon TNF game or Pens game on ESPN+/Hulu.

$15/month is my guess

That isn't even going to be close to being right. A stand alone ESPN+ subscription costs $11 per month. This new service will include all of ESPN+, but ESPN+ is going to be a minuscule part of what you get from this new service.

"But for some guidance, based on those briefed on the deal, the likelihood is it will be priced between where a standalone RSN might charge for its monthly offering (think $20-30 monthly depending on where you live) or what you might pay for bundled services (think $75 and up). Could that mean around $50-55?"

This is good and should cover viewing of the major cable sports channels.

Broadcast games from NBC, CBS, CW can be watched on antenna.

$40-50/month would be my price point guess.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
BTW, the article I quoted above also says that ESPN is still planning on launching their own stand alone streaming service, and the price point for that is likely going to be $25-30 per month.

But yeah, you'll get that, plus Fox, plus Turner, for $15 per month.

Ok, please dumb it down for me. I pay $200/month for verizon Fios tv and internet.
I do not pay for any streaming service. I just want to know how just subscribing to these streaming services can be cheaper?
First off you need to pay for internet. A few years ago I tried switching to Xfinity, but didn't get a good signal in parts of my house. Yes, I used range extenders.

Now as far as the streaming services:
Amazon Prime $13/month
Peacock $5-10
Paramount ?
Espn/Disney/Hulu $13
Youtube TV?
Netflix?
These are off the top of my head and I may be missing some.

After paying for internet, what about local channels and then all these streaming services it adds up.

Ok, please dumb it down for me. I pay $200/month for verizon Fios tv and internet.
I do not pay for any streaming service. I just want to know how just subscribing to these streaming services can be cheaper?
First off you need to pay for internet. A few years ago I tried switching to Xfinity, but didn't get a good signal in parts of my house. Yes, I used range extenders.

Amazon Prime $13/month
Peacock $5-10
Paramount ?
Espn/Disney/Hulu $13
Youtube TV?
Netflix?

After paying for internet, what about local channels and then all these streaming services it adds up.
Short story, you're getting robbed paying $200 per month.

My costs:
Internet $70
Youtube TV $70

So, I basically pay $140 for internet and cable. $60 less than you.

Plus, I only use YTTV for basketball and football season. I go four months out of the year without paying for YTTV. Account goes on pause for summer months.

I don't really care for the other streaming services, but...
Xfinity offers free Peacock.
Cell phone provider offers free Amazon.

You get local channels with YTTV and I also use an antenna.

FYI...the free streaming services are great options if you just want to watch regular movies and TV shows....Pluto, Tubi, Roku.

Amazon Prime $13/month
Peacock $5-10
Paramount ?
Espn/Disney/Hulu $13
Youtube TV?
Netflix?

I wondered this myself. Let's say you wanted every single streaming provider that produced its own original content. Inotherwords, I'm not counting YouTube TV, Comcast, etc as they are a TV channel aggregrator (a term I just made up). Help me out if Im missing something.

Disney Bundle 15 (ESPN+, Disney+, Hulu)
Paramount+ (with Showtime) 12
HBO Max 10
Starz 10
Prime 9
Apple TV+ 7
Netflix 7
Peacock 7
Discovery+ 5

$82? But then you need to pay for internet and you wont get live sports until the ESPN/Fox/Turner thing comes out.

"Will be available", yeah, of course, absolutely.

"Will be available for free"? No, of course not.
I'm not able to read the .WSJ article, but yeah everything is a cost. Below is header of article....

New service will be available as a stand-alone app, and to Max, Hulu and Disney+ subscribers as part of a bundle

AP article on ESPN states that service will be available in fall.

It will include offerings from 15 linear networks: ESPN, ESPN+, ESPN2, ESPNU, SEC Network, ACC Network, ESPNEWS, ABC, Fox, FS1, FS2, Big Ten Network, TNT, TBS, truTV.

Subscribers would also have the ability to bundle the product with Disney+, Hulu and/or Max.

Last edited:

My costs:
Internet $70
Youtube TV $70

Plus, I only use YTTV for basketball and football season. I go four months out of the year without paying for YTTV. Account goes on pause for summer months.

FYI...the free streaming services are great options if you just want to watch regular movies and TV shows....Pluto, Tubi, Roku.

Just looked at my Fios bill.

$161.36 for internet with YTTV. Its gone up like $20 the last few years. Thanks Biden.

Just looked at my Fios bill.

$161.36 for internet with YTTV. Its gone up like $20 the last few years. Thanks Biden.
Let me correct you before ignorant people take it as fact.

YTTV price increases started under the previous administration. I've been with YTTV from the start and have the receipts.

• Haha
Reactions: pittiswhereiamfrom2

My costs:
Internet $70
Youtube TV $70

Ok you are telling me I'm getting robbed. I have 3 tv's connected along with a DVR.
BTW I just called Verizon yesterday and they gave me a $10 "loyalty discount. I also have cell phone service with them, When I switched from t-mobile I got 5 brand new IPhone 14's and was paying about $240/month. I then got a $20/month 1st responder discount and then at the end of December got an additional $10/line fios tv discount bringing my bill down to $173/month. I also got a $200 verizon giftcard per line $1,000) I kind of think I am making out a little better because I have everything thru them. BUT I would be willing to look to lower my bill.

Let me know Thanks

Amazon Prime $13/month
Peacock $5-10
Paramount ?
Espn/Disney/Hulu $13
Youtube TV?
Netflix?

I'm in the same boat as you. I pay $230 for Fios. So if I can get standalone internet for like $100, then - considering the only thing I really watch is sports - this thing being any price under $130 ($100 in your case) would save me money. But I guess it depends what you watch on cable.

I will say that I'm not a huge fan of watching sports on streaming services, though. The picture/motion on the screen is noticeably different. Also not sure how changing the channel (i.e. flipping between games) would work. I know it sucks on the current WatchESPN app... unless there's something I'm unaware of.

Last edited:
Reactions: andypappas
I'm in the same boat as you. I pay $230 for Fios. So if I can get standalone internet for like $100, then - considering the only thing I really watch is sports - this thing being any price under $130 ($100 in your case) would save me money. But I guess it depends what you watch on cable.

I will say that I'm not a huge fan of watching sports on streaming services, though. The picture/motion on the screen is noticeably different. Also not sure how changing the channel (i.e. flipping between games) would work. I know it sucks on the current WatchESPN app... unless there's something I'm unaware of.
Channel surfing on streaming sucks. It’s the reason I keep my cable boxes. I could stream Comcast and save some money but unless I’m unaware of something as you said flipping channels is a PITA.

YouTube TV has a live "guide" similar to Comcast.
Well then that furthers my point. With a box you can just input a channel. And you can use your remote to program 3 or 4 channels to flip to games of interest.

I have a Roku and the streaming interface for comcast is clunky at best. And my buddy has you tube tv. Same thing.

YouTube TV has a live "guide" similar to Comcast.
You can also arrange the channels in the order you want.

Also for everyone complaining about the cost of streaming services like Paramount+ and Peacock, if you keep an eye out there's deals to be had, I've been paying 99 cents a month for Peacock since May when they had promotion going on, Paramount+ usually sends me an offer of $2.99 a month for 1 or 2 months a week or so after I cancel it.

Reactions: cease10
I pay $92 for internet including the tower modem/router rental.

I pay a hair over $79 for YouTube Tv

I pay $16.42 for Netflix.

Technically I guess I pay around $12 a month for Prime Video with Amazon Prime service.

So that is $200 a month.

cable would still be way higher.

I have antennas on my Tvs but localized interference limits me.

I am so attempted to do what our New Zealand Navy friend is doing with IPTV and say screw the big guys until they crack down on my attempts at being Jack Sparrow.

What, no Big12 network?

Lol. Their games are on pay per view (ie ESPN+). WVU had a great home basketball win over Kansas a couple weeks ago but most West Virginians couldn't watch it because they either cant get the internet or dont pay for ESPN+.

Good???

Cant you see what is happening? I mean, I get what you said, and that is true. But, pretty obvious what is happening is the same as cable. more and more streaming services will bundle and youll have to pay for that bundle, even for stations you dont want, then each year, that bundle will get more and more money. Soon it will bundle with Disney, then, whoever else they buy up.

Furthermore, espn app is pretty much already this. all the ACC network games are on, as was the SEC up until last year.

Good???

Cant you see what is happening? I mean, I get what you said, and that is true. But, pretty obvious what is happening is the same as cable. more and more streaming services will bundle and youll have to pay for that bundle, even for stations you dont want, then each year, that bundle will get more and more money. Soon it will bundle with Disney, then, whoever else they buy up.

Furthermore, espn app is pretty much already this. all the ACC network games are on, as was the SEC up until last year.

The ESPN app is not "already this." The only reason you get ACC Network games on there is because you are paying for the ACC Network with your cable subscription.

The ESPN app is not "already this." The only reason you get ACC Network games on there is because you are paying for the ACC Network with your cable subscription.

I havent had cable for 25 years at least. I had directv for like 15 years, and got rid of that about 9-10 years ago

I literally only have epsn/disney/hulu deal from my verizon phone and have gotten all ACC games on my espn app for as long as I can remember. The only games you have to pay extra for are the ESPN+ games, which Pitt isnt on, but the NHL is. I will do as you do and rotate MAX, Netflix or whatever for a couple months, as there is mostly all crap on each of these. And Ill stream a show every so often in a nefarious way, although I dont really feel bad about this cause they are shows I would never consider paying for and if there is an actual show I want to watch... like with Better Call Saul, I would pony up for the months it was on to watch.

I havent had cable for 25 years at least. I had directv for like 15 years, and got rid of that about 9-10 years ago

I literally only have epsn/disney/hulu deal from my verizon phone and have gotten all ACC games on my espn app for as long as I can remember. The only games you have to pay extra for are the ESPN+ games, which Pitt isnt on, but the NHL is. I will do as you do and rotate MAX, Netflix or whatever for a couple months, as there is mostly all crap on each of these. And Ill stream a show every so often in a nefarious way, although I dont really feel bad about this cause they are shows I would never consider paying for and if there is an actual show I want to watch... like with Better Call Saul, I would pony up for the months it was on to watch.

No you dont. If you dont have cable, satellite, or a streaming substitute like YouTube TV or Fubo, you dont get the ACC Network games on ESPN+. You do get the non-televised ACCNX games but those are the worst games.

Ok you are telling me I'm getting robbed. I have 3 tv's connected along with a DVR.
BTW I just called Verizon yesterday and they gave me a $10 "loyalty discount. I also have cell phone service with them, When I switched from t-mobile I got 5 brand new IPhone 14's and was paying about $240/month. I then got a $20/month 1st responder discount and then at the end of December got an additional $10/line fios tv discount bringing my bill down to $173/month. I also got a $200 verizon giftcard per line $1,000) I kind of think I am making out a little better because I have everything thru them. BUT I would be willing to look to lower my bill.

Let me know Thanks
YTTV has DVR also and multiple streams, but if you're happy then no need to change for change sake.

I just got a new laptop for work and have spent the past 4 days customizing and downloading multiple software that I used on my old laptop. In this day and age of technology I was hoping that all of that could have been pre-loaded and customized but it was not to be. I'm tired. 😫

Reactions: HailToPitt725
I suspect this will be bad news for future conference negotiations. They get a ton of money from getting their networks onto a package in each area of the country. Now, I assume this will be an all inclusive thing and they won't be able to make threats to individual regional providers... cause where they gonna go?

ESPN probably has the worst streaming app out, so they're not a good barometer to measure streaming experience.

YTTV is a much better streaming experience. Changing channels takes a while to get used to, but as previously mentioned it's channel guide menu in which you can customize your channels. Also, they have a scores submenu in which you can easily switch between games.

Lol. Their games are on pay per view (ie ESPN+). WVU had a great home basketball win over Kansas a couple weeks ago but most West Virginians couldn't watch it because they either cant get the internet or dont pay for ESPN+.
Per the ESPN article, ESPN+ would be included

My guess is that you have Hulu with live TV and that's how you're able to get the ACC games on the ESPN app.

Reactions: pittdan77
I suspect this will be bad news for future conference negotiations. They get a ton of money from getting their networks onto a package in each area of the country. Now, I assume this will be an all inclusive thing and they won't be able to make threats to individual regional providers... cause where they gonna go?
I think the MLS’ Apple TV deal is where all leagues could (and should) eventually move towards. Create a direct-to-consumer product that allows fans to only need one service for all games, with a select number of games simulcasted over-the-air via ABC/CBS/FOX/NBC.

ESPN probably has the worst streaming app out, so they're not a good barometer to measure streaming experience.

YTTV is a much better streaming experience. Changing channels takes a while to get used to, but as previously mentioned it's channel guide menu in which you can customize your channels. Also, they have a scores submenu in which you can easily switch between games.

Even on Prime, I notice a big difference with how the picture moves.

Switching channels on YouTube TV is no issue. The one thing I miss from Comcast is I could press the "C" button and see live scores and change the channel to a close game from there. YouTube TV has a scoreboard but it's not real time- and it's just flat out wrong a lot. You'll see stuff like Georgia losing 35-0 to Vanderbilt on there.

Switching channels on YouTube TV is no issue. The one thing I miss from Comcast is I could press the "C" button and see live scores and change the channel to a close game from there. YouTube TV has a scoreboard but it's not real time- and it's just flat out wrong a lot. You'll see stuff like Georgia losing 35-0 to Vanderbilt on there.

"If it said 35-0 Vanderbilt then that's what the score was."

-NCPitt

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT