ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN Rating of Noah Collier

He was up higher in rankings and got dropped if I remember correctly. My impression based off of nothing real is that Hugley will contribute to the bottom line right away and Collier is a year or two out.

He was up higher in rankings and got dropped if I remember correctly. My impression based off of nothing real is that Hugley will contribute to the bottom line right away and Collier is a year or two out.

Perhaps you are right. However if he really is now 6-8 or 6-9 (not just 6-7), with his hops and ball skills he may very well be a taller version of Champagnie. If so, it will be hard to keep him on the bench--especially if Brown continues to play as poorly as he has lately.

Perhaps you are right. However if he really is now 6-8 or 6-9 (not just 6-7), with his hops and ball skills he may very well be a taller version of Champagnie. If so, it will be hard to keep him on the bench--especially if Brown continues to play as poorly as he has lately.
Yeah after 6'9 with his hops will be very nice and he's got a whole year to grow and get better.
Hopefully we get a steal with him.

Reactions: Tonyt66

I agree with this.

Collier was a guy that saw his stock drop over the spring/summer, which really worked in our favor. Had Cuse or UConn remained interested, he would’ve ended up at one of those schools. His game needs work, but I think he has a chance to develop into a contributor early on.

Hugley will be counted on from the start, but we will need to be patient as the young man, like most freshman, needs time to develop. The earlier that he can get into our strength and conditioning program, the better.

He a darn good athlete, and plays hard.

We desperately need the addition of those 3 bigs for next season. Without a good dependable inside game Murphy won't get decent looks, and Johnson and McGowens who really, really need to be very wide open to make a jumper are even more dependent in that regard. Brown's offensive play has totally disappeared since WVU's Tschwbe (sp.?) ate his lunch. He may be in even more of a funk than Johnson.
Champagnie is the only one giving us any inside offensive game.

IMHO: As far as this season goes, unless Brown wakes up and/or Coulibaly comes on strong we will remain nearly totally dependent on Johnson and McGowens driving into traffic with only Champagnie capable of taking a dump off pass and scoring with any reliability. In addition, the lack of an outside shooting game is not helped by Drumgoole showing nothing of his supposed long ball skill early on and is further set back (even if he regains his shooting touch) by his now being unable to play for an indefinite period with his ankle in a boot. Opponents recognize the situation and are taking away everything except mid-range and short range jumpers which are not being made consistently.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
We desperately need the addition of those 3 bigs for next season. Without a good dependable inside game Murphy won't get decent looks, and Johnson and McGowens who really, really need to be very wide open to make a jumper are even more dependent in that regard. Brown's offensive play has totally disappeared since WVU's Tschwbe (sp.?) ate his lunch. He may be in even more of a funk than Johnson.
Champagnie is the only one giving us any inside offensive game.

IMHO: As far as this season goes, unless Brown wakes up and/or Coulibaly comes on strong we will remain nearly totally dependent on Johnson and McGowens driving into traffic with only Champagnie capable of taking a dump off pass and scoring with any reliability. In addition, the lack of an outside shooting game is not helped by Drumgoole showing nothing of his supposed long ball skill early on and is further set back (even if he regains his shooting touch) by his now being unable to play for an indefinite period with his ankle in a boot. Opponents recognize the situation and are taking away everything except mid-range and short range jumpers which are not being made consistently.

Yeah, people want to say "its a guard game now" and sure, that is the case, but when you literally have NO post presence, you are going to struggle to be successful.

Teams can extend defensively with NO fear of being hurt inside, you don't get easy buckets (for the love god, Brown could not convert a dunk against Monmouth last night ...), it hurts transition because everyone has to crash to try to control the D boards, you can't leak anyone ...

I looked at that Rivals chart of his rankings history. A couple of years ago he was #65. He then disappeared from the ratings before going back up back up to the #94 #95 range for a time before again dropping out of the ratings once again before showing up most recently at #150.

Hoping he turns out to be a top 100 level steal when he begins play for us. Came across as a fine young man based on an interview I saw on you tube. He is the proud grandson of a Tuskegee Airman of WWII fame.

I looked at that Rivals chart of his rankings history. A couple of years ago he was #65. He then disappeared from the ratings before going back up back up to the #94 #95 range for a time before again dropping out of the ratings once again before showing up most recently at #150.

Hoping he turns out to be a top 100 level steal when he begins play for us. Came across as a fine young man based on an interview I saw on you tube. He is the proud grandson of a Tuskegee Airman of WWII fame.
Sounds a lot like a few of the 2019 signees. Coulibaly was at one point ranked as high as #80 in the 247 composite, and Champagnie was ranked just outside of the top 100 when he committed.

Reactions: Jeffburgh
Drew an DC he did say in a tweet that he is 6'9 now if so we will have some nice bigs on next years team.

Yeah after 6'9 with his hops will be very nice and he's got a whole year to grow and get better.
Hopefully we get a steal with him.

Reactions: Drew1208
The position really doesn't matter. He's a tall athlete. Closest skillset to Champagnie if you want a comparison.
Bingo. You can't or shouldn't pigeon hole a guy in a position or role based on height. D Blair was a charitable 6'6" and he was absolutely a low post player, while you see a 6'11" Kevin Piggsnoggle who had no business in the paint.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
The position really doesn't matter. He's a tall athlete. Closest skillset to Champagnie if you want a comparison.

Yes. Exactly. His videos make him look very much like Champagnie and, similarly, he has a handle much more like a guard than a typical big man who has always played as a big. The fact that he is 2-3 inches taller is a plus. Just like Champagnie, he says he needs to improve the shooting range on his jumper.

IMHO, players who were once guards or wings but later grow into bigs generally will have very high upsides and need less development than bigs who have always been bigs and never needed to develop ball skills. This is why I am high on this kids potential.

Yeah, people want to say "its a guard game now" and sure, that is the case, but when you literally have NO post presence, you are going to struggle to be successful.

Teams can extend defensively with NO fear of being hurt inside, you don't get easy buckets (for the love god, Brown could not convert a dunk against Monmouth last night ...), it hurts transition because everyone has to crash to try to control the D boards, you can't leak anyone ...

College basketball has become very guard-centric - especially on OFFENSE. But basketball requires that he players on the floor be able to play and contribute at both ends of the floor.

So a team better be able to get the ball back for their offense in ways other than taking it out of bounds after the other team scores. Defensive rebounding and closing out on shooters to take away time and space requires more length and size than Pitt has had recently. So all 3 of these guys should help and be welcome additions.

The cool thing is this is the 1st year we get to see and hear about definite recruits development for a whole year
That's the 1st time we can say that

Exactly Drew that's a excellent point. We get a whole year on hearing about their development and it's not even a given that some of these guys may even grow a little more because sometimes you don't quit growing until you 18,19 sometimes 20 years old.

Last edited:
Reactions: Drew1208
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT