ADVERTISEMENT

Lunardi: Pitt needs 2 wins

You guys are so thin skinned. He’s more than likely right that Pitt isn’t in with just one win. I mean, 90% of bracketologists and analysts are saying the same thing. Sure, they could be in, but unless you are a Harry or Paco-level homer, it should be obvious that anything short of beating Wake and UNC the next two days will have Pitt sweating it out come Sunday evening.

This!!!! ⬆️ it’s Been my rallying cry for a week.

Plus, as you so eloquently stated elsewhere…not that he matters but he needs to be asked why he uses the “committee never selected a team with so low of a OOC” but he doesn’t use the “committee never omitted a team with 7 road wins” argument.

But it’s all moot. Win tonight. That’s all that matters. Win and we are in. I don’t think we need to win two.

I think I’m just trying to convince myself that we should be in regardless of tonight and that’s why the metrics are bugging the crap out of me.

He does matter though. Just like Fox News/CNN matter. They are influential. And Lunardi plus cable news tell one side to the story. Its fine for him to point out our non-con but should be required by his bosses to tell both sides because the committee doesn't watch games, dont know these teams, they watch him on ESPN, and they are human so they are subject to being influenced. In Lunardi's mind, Pitt can go 1-1, UVa lose tonight and the ACC could get 3 while the MWC gets 6? That's complete insanity!

You guys are so thin skinned. He’s more than likely right that Pitt isn’t in with just one win. I mean, 90% of bracketologists and analysts are saying the same thing. Sure, they could be in, but unless you are a Harry or Paco-level homer, it should be obvious that anything short of beating Wake and UNC the next two days will have Pitt sweating it out come Sunday evening.
95% chance they are in with a win today. I am extremely confident. I dont care what the bracketologists say. 7 road wins and would make them 4-5 in Q1 if NC St stays Q1.

I don't see why you're bothered by what Joe Lunardi says. Is he on the selection committee?
Pitt now has an 8-8 Q1/2 record and 3 Q1 road wins and 4 road wins against NET Top 80. If Pitt wins today their Q1/2 record will be over .500. Other bubble teams have 5 or less road wins.

Reactions: Zepley09
Barnes is just like the 95% of the guys elected to Washington to represent us. Except they don’t represent us and only support their own self interests and uphold the charade of the establishment. Anyone expecting Barnes to do anything but protect his own self interests is a fool. That’s how we ended up with Stallings. Barnes did what he did for himself and his cronies and gave a middle finger to his constituents (us).

It isn't just Lunardi. Like it or not, believe in the bracketology or not, trust the committee or not, feel it's fair nor not, it seems to be universal consensus among all of the bracketologists that the loser of this game today is out for sure, and the winner remains very much in danger of being left out, especially if it's Pitt. One poster said previously that he trusts Palm more than Lunardi. Well, Palm says the same thing Lunardi does. They all do. If Pitt doesn't get in, it will suck especially for the players and Capel, but nobody outside of a few on this board will think it';s some kind of travesty. The resume is what it is, the metrics are what they are. Every year, a few teams are in this same position, and none of their fans like it.

I never foresaw a day where the 4th place team in the ACC would be in danger of being left out, and before NET, quadrants, BPI etc, that wouldn't hae happened. But obviously things have changed.

Beat the brakes off Wake, pull off an upset against UNC, and leave no doubt.

He does matter though. Just like Fox News/CNN matter. They are influential. And Lunardi plus cable news tell one side to the story. Its fine for him to point out our non-con but should be required by his bosses to tell both sides because the committee doesn't watch games, dont know these teams, they watch him on ESPN, and they are human so they are subject to being influenced. In Lunardi's mind, Pitt can go 1-1, UVa lose tonight and the ACC could get 3 while the MWC gets 6? That's complete insanity!
They all say the same thing dude. Lunardi harping on the weak OOC is not driving this bus.

Everything will change after the games today. Take care of business today and everything will take care of itself.
For some reason Freddy Fender's classic Wasted Days and Wasted Nights keeps playing in my when I read all the hand wringing over what-ifs and what- should be's not to mention sounding like goofs taking these silly metrics down to a fourth decimal point...Me thinks in the case of a team that put itself in a position not to be a lock in the first place, Doris Day's Que Sera Sera should be the song of the day...

Reactions: HOF Coach
There’s no doubt that starting out 10-7 and 1-5 put Pitt behind the proverbial 8 ball on the outside looking in, One only has to look at UVA who now has similar or worse metrics and lost to Pitt by double digits at home, but started strong and has never been outside the field. It’s a credit that Pitt has played well enough to have a shot but a win today should be more than enough. The metrics being used to discredit Pitt at this point are simply illogical.

if Pitt loses today, fine. But if Pitt wins and then to have the bar raised that they have to beat the NET #7 team to register a 5th Q1 win away from home is absurd.

There’s no doubt that starting out 10-7 and 1-5 put Pitt behind the proverbial 8 ball on the outside looking in, One only has to look at UVA who now has similar or worse metrics and lost to Pitt by double digits at home, but started strong and has never been outside the field. It’s a credit that Pitt has played well enough to have a shot but a win today should be more than enough. The metrics being used to discredit Pitt at this point are simply illogical.

if Pitt loses today, fine. But if Pitt wins and then to have the bar raised that they have to beat the NET #7 team to register a 5th Q1 win away from home is absurd.

If they're telling me that all games are weighted equally, which they are, then I would say we don't deserve to be in at this point (that's subject to change after today). Do I agree with weighting all games equally, though? No, I don't.

Pitt now has a 5-4 Q1/2 road record (3-2/2-2). That’s obscene for a bubble team.
That’s very profound to me. Very profound. I can’t expect any bracketologist or committee member to be aware of this…but wow.

I never foresaw a day where the 4th place team in the ACC would be in danger of being left out, and before NET, quadrants, BPI etc, that wouldn't have happened. But obviously things have changed.
Another sport ruined by overthinking, convoluted BS.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT