ADVERTISEMENT

Faux tar heel fans

snaphook297

Freshman
Dec 19, 2020
Pittsburgh
actually in my estimate.worse than faux notre dame fans . At least some faux NDfans cam claim a nexus as irish and or catholic . The UNC fans from west pa have no nexus . They couldn’t find chapel hill with a AAA trip tik.

Last edited:
My brother is a faux NC fan. There are way more faux Duke fans than NC fans I think. There will be some. Maybe 10% of the crowd.

I don't get the whole faux fans thing? I mean adopting a team in another state that you don't have any connection too and being rabid following them? I can understand ND, if you're Catholic or Irish, or the military academies if you served in one of those branches, but I mean living in Pittsburgh and going to IUP or something and calling Bama or UNC "we" has always seemed weird to me? The only way I see it as kind of acceptable is the NBA, because Pittsburgh never had a team, I was a Chicago Bulls fan since the 70s, but even that waned after the Jordan Era.

Reactions: Eastern Eight
I don't get the whole faux fans thing? I mean adopting a team in another state that you don't have any connection too and being rabid following them? I can understand ND, if you're Catholic or Irish, or the military academies if you served in one of those branches, but I mean living in Pittsburgh and going to IUP or something and calling Bama or UNC "we" has always seemed weird to me? The only way I see it as kind of acceptable is the NBA, because Pittsburgh never had a team, I was a Chicago Bulls fan since the 70s, but even that waned after the Jordan Era.

Lots of IUP students will be there with their Jordan jerseys

I lived in Ft. Lauderdale for a couple years. I adopted the Miami Heat as a favorite NBA team. I became a rabid Heat fan for a few years. It was great. I no longer live there and couldn't care less about the Heat now. I don't get it either. I had childhood friends who were Dodger and Reds fans when the Pirates were dominant. Never understood it.

I lived in Ft. Lauderdale for a couple years. I adopted the Miami Heat as a favorite NBA team. I became a rabid Heat fan for a few years. It was great. I no longer live there and couldn't care less about the Heat now. I don't get it either. I had childhood friends who were Dodger and Reds fans when the Pirates were dominant. Never understood it.
There where 2 guys I grew up with in Western PA, they were both Orioles and Colts fans, in the 70s! Rooting for the O's in the 71 and 79 WS! I always thought it was so weird. I think they both wanted to be contrarians. The one guy, I reconnected with on Facebook years later and we were like mid 50s by then, and he was still an O's and Colts fan living in Pittsburgh and I was a Pirates and Steelers fan living near Baltimore :) at least we remained consistent :)

Reactions: 4Mark_Marty
I don't get people wearing jerseys with other peoples' names on the back.
I do that, it's just a jersey, I actually always loved football jerseys. What I can't stand is my neighbor who wears a dress shirt and dress pants to mow the lawn :)

I do that, it's just a jersey, I actually always loved football jerseys. What I can't stand is my neighbor who wears a dress shirt and dress pants to mow the lawn :)
What else should he wear? Doesn’t everyone wear coat and tie for lawn mowing?

What else should he wear? Doesn’t everyone wear coat and tie for lawn mowing?
There's these old guys, that don't wear hoodies, sweatpants, cargo shorts or jerseys, it's kind of funny.

I have a friend from New Jersey with no connection to Kansas who roots for the Jayhawks. He's never been within 400 miles of Lawrence. The explanation he apologetically (and repeatedly) offers me is that he started rooting for them when he was nine years old and they've just remained his lifelong team.

Hypocritical thing is that his brothers root for Duke and UNC (predictably they have no connection to those schools) and he finds THAT really obnoxious. But like I said, he is self-aware about his hypocrisy.

This guy's a Columbia graduate and I once asked why he doesn't root for them. His reply was that he didn't know they had a Division I basketball team.

I have a friend from New Jersey with no connection to Kansas who roots for the Jayhawks. He's never been within 400 miles of Lawrence. The explanation he apologetically (and repeatedly) offers me is that he started rooting for them when he was nine years old and they've just remained his lifelong team.

Hypocritical thing is that his brothers root for Duke and UNC (predictably they have no connection to those schools) and he finds THAT really obnoxious. But like I said, he is self-aware about his hypocrisy.

This guy's a Columbia graduate and I once asked why he doesn't root for them. His reply was that he didn't know they had a Division I basketball team.
I blame this on having a father that doesn't pay attention lol

Reactions: PittEng09

I mean - I will watch Duke games and want them
To beat unc - but that’s because my uncle played there - so that side of the family adopted them .
My wife still working there remotely means we actually have a connection
But I would never in a million years not wear and root for Pitt first

Hell when we lived there people always asked which blue we rooted for- and our answer was always “we’re Pitt fans “

It is fascinating to have moved to a community that is NOT 55-plus but a fair number of retirees flock here. While all of you who live in the Burgh this weekend will suffer from single digit temps, we will be enjoying a 72 degree day with full sun and no clouds. Sorry I had to say that.

However what I see that is interesting is “our” sports loyalties. Everyone I hang out with at men’s morning coffee is a college grad and nobody is a native.

Each person has a pro team passion for a team where they lived or grew up. There is an inter3st in the Cardinals but only casual. Hell some of these guys are so old that they won’t root for the Dodgers or Giants because of the two teams leaving the New York City area in the 50s .

Collegiately there are a few guys who follow UA, but most still are strongly loyal to their alma mater.

Nobody wears jersi3s but definitely tshirts, hats,or jackets.

But, does he root for them in football? :)
That's the real question ?

It is fascinating to have moved to a community that is NOT 55-plus but a fair number of retirees flock here. While all of you who live in the Burgh this weekend will suffer from single digit temps, we will be enjoying a 72 degree day with full sun and no clouds. Sorry I had to say that.
No need to apologize, I think it's funny how everyone assumes that everyone else is so upset about snow and cold weather, and they brag about living in Florida or AZ now and show selfies sitting next to a pool on Facebook as if it makes people jealous, personally I like cold and snow and even darkness, I enjoy the restfulness of winter, I don't get upset being inside all the time. In fact, in July and August when it's 90 degrees and humid It's worse to me, trying to stay cool.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT