ADVERTISEMENT

Jacksonville Game & Other Dribbles ...

DT_PITT

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 17, 2001
** Walking out of Pete tonight down Cardiac Hill, I was chit-chatting about the game with a friend until I had the distinct pleasure of running into a PantherLair poster I’ve never met before, @singregardless.

** We began speaking because we were seemingly thinking the same thoughts, almost muttering under our breath something along the lines of “are we really this good?”

** Needless to say, we were both indeed impressed. I don’t know how anyone walking out of the Pete tonight couldn’t be, at least to some extent.

** My singregardless friend, who goes to most games, explained to me that he made a point to see this one in response to the reports that a certain Bub Carrington has recently appeared on an NBA Draft Board at #5.

** Like my friend, I’m sure we are wondering the same kind of thing about Bub that we are wondering about the Panthers. Is this all for real?

** Personally, I always try to walk the fair line between optimism and hype. Tonight, I’m having a hard time balancing upon this line.

** Accordingly, I’m actually NOT having a hard time coming up with one word to assess the Panthers 107 point explosion resulting in a 51 point win. That word is “effortless.”

** And effortless shouldn’t at all imply that the Patther’s overall effort wasn’t stellar. In fact is was.

** But to me, I see a team who knows exactly what they want to do on both ends of the court and are having little difficultly executing it.

** I’m also having a hard time thinking about a single offensive trip when the Panthers didn’t get a shot that they wanted. Whether it was an open three, a clear pull up, or a dunk or layup, our offense really seems to come easily for our guys.

** Say as you will, and as I often do, that this was a substandard foe, but there never seemed at all to be any defense offered to the Panther attack.

** To me, it’s difficult not the be impressed with a 107 point output in a moderate tempo game when shooting less than 50% from the floor.

** Perhaps you might think my particular take relies too much upon the eye test. Allow me to retort that our Panthers are now #39 in Pomeroy with an offense ranked #28. And this ranking is still tainted a tad with a lower standing to begin the season.

** But let’s really get to the heart of the matter. Regardless of where you fall on the line of optimism or hype, allow me to suggest that most everyone should on board with one simple notion. After four games, this early Panther season has been an absolute blast.

** Perhaps it’s wiser for me, and those like me who attend the church of Pitt Basketball, to stop trying to decide if we are really this good and just appreciate how good we have been to this point.

** We’ve won 4 games by an average of 35 points. We’ve been outrebounding opponents by over 18 per contest. Per game, we’ve turned it over less than 9 a game. Opponents are shooting well under 40%.

** Sitting in front of me today in my squatting seats in section 107 were a couple of folks who weren’t PantherLair regulars. Mostly, I was impressed with how much fun they were having watching the game. We high fived with every three, we shook our heads with every impressive pass, and pumped our fists with every defensive stop or blocked shot.

** And while I’m at it, allow me to note that we’ve blocked a pretty extraordinary 29 shots in our first four games.

** But in the balance, I must also add these superb numbers have been accumulated against 4 teams with an average ranking of 256 according to Pomeroy.

** Our next opponent, the Gators of Florida are ranked #35 according to Pomeroy.

** So for this Panther fan, and I’m sure most of the rest of you, this trip to Brooklyn may be the most anticipated out of conference game for our Hoopers in quite some time. I have to go back to the season opener against Gonzaga in 2015 for a time when I was so excited.

** I’m excited because I think so far, I’ve been watching a well-coached team, with great chemistry and togetherness, totally bought into their style of play, balanced between scorers, unselfishness and role players, and more talent than I thought we had four weeks ago. This of course, includes a guy who at least a few other guys think will be playing in another league next year.

** If the latter point is true, then I think it’s pretty safe to say we are indeed really this good. And Bub has yet to give us any reason to think it's not.

** So I’ll sign off this evening with a sincere congratulations to our team and our coaching staff for a wonderful start to what has the early appearance of what could be a special season.

** Walking out of Pete tonight down Cardiac Hill, I was chit-chatting about the game with a friend until I had the distinct pleasure of running into a PantherLair poster I’ve never met before, @singregardless.

** We began speaking because we were seemingly thinking the same thoughts, almost muttering under our breath something along the lines of “are we really this good?”

** Needless to say, we were both indeed impressed. I don’t know how anyone walking out of the Pete tonight couldn’t be, at least to some extent.

** My singregardless friend, who goes to most games, explained to me that he made a point to see this one in response to the reports that a certain Bub Carrington has recently appeared on an NBA Draft Board at #5.

** Like my friend, I’m sure we are wondering the same kind of thing about Bub that we are wondering about the Panthers. Is this all for real?

** Personally, I always try to walk the fair line between optimism and hype. Tonight, I’m having a hard time balancing upon this line.

** Accordingly, I’m actually NOT having a hard time coming up with one word to assess the Panthers 107 point explosion resulting in a 51 point win. That word is “effortless.”

** And effortless shouldn’t at all imply that the Patther’s overall effort wasn’t stellar. In fact is was.

** But to me, I see a team who knows exactly what they want to do on both ends of the court and are having little difficultly executing it.

** I’m also having a hard time thinking about a single offensive trip when the Panthers didn’t get a shot that they wanted. Whether it was an open three, a clear pull up, or a dunk or layup, our offense really seems to come easily for our guys.

** Say as you will, and as I often do, that this was a substandard foe, but there never seemed at all to be any defense offered to the Panther attack.

** To me, it’s difficult not the be impressed with a 107 point output in a moderate tempo game when shooting less than 50% from the floor.

** Perhaps you might think my particular take relies too much upon the eye test. Allow me to retort that our Panthers are now #39 in Pomeroy with an offense ranked #28. And this ranking is still tainted a tad with a lower standing to begin the season.

** But let’s really get to the heart of the matter. Regardless of where you fall on the line of optimism or hype, allow me to suggest that most everyone should on board with one simple notion. After four games, this early Panther season has been an absolute blast.

** Perhaps it’s wiser for me, and those like me who attend the church of Pitt Basketball, to stop trying to decide are we really this good a just appreciate how good we have been to this point.

** We’ve won 4 games by an average of 35 points. We’ve been outrebounding opponents by over 18 per contest. Per game, we’ve turned it over less than 9 a game. Opponents are shooting well under 40%.

** Sitting in front of me today in my squatting seats in section 107 were a couple of folks who weren’t PantherLair regulars. Mostly, I was impressed with how much fun they were having watching the game. We high fived with every three, we shook our heads with every impressive pass, and pumped our fists with every defensive stop or blocked shot.

** And while I’m at it, allow me to note that we’ve blocked a pretty extraordinary 29 shots in our first four game.

** But in the balance, I must also add these superb numbers have been accumulated against 4 teams with an average ranking of 256 according to Pomeroy.

** Our next opponent, the Gators of Florida are ranked #35 according to Pomeroy.

** So for this Panther fan, and I sure most of the rest of you, this trip to Brooklyn may be the most anticipated out of conference game for our Hoopers in quite some time. I have to go back to the season opener against Gonzaga in 2015 for a time when I was so excited.

** I’m excited because I think so far, I’ve been watching a well-coached team, totally bought into their style of play, balanced between scorers, unselfishness and role players, with more talent than I thought we had four weeks ago. This of course, includes a guy who at least a few other guys think will be playing in another league next year.

** If the latter point is true, then I think it’s pretty safe to say we are indeed really this good. And Bub has yet to give us any reason to think it's not.

** So I’ll sign off this season with a sincere congratulations to our team and our coaching staff for a wonderful start to what has the early look of what looks like could be a special season.
It's the most excited I've been for Pitt Men's Basketball in a long time

** Perhaps it’s wiser for me, and those like me who attend the church of Pitt Basketball, to stop trying to decide are we really this good a just appreciate how good we have been to this point.

** And while I’m at it, allow me to note that we’ve blocked a pretty extraordinary 29 shots in our first four game.

** So for this Panther fan, and I sure most of the rest of you, this trip to Brooklyn may be the most anticipated out of conference game for our Hoopers in quite some time. I have to go back to the season opener against Gonzaga in 2015 for a time when I was so excited.

** I’m excited because I think so far, I’ve been watching a well-coached team, with great chemistry and togetherness, totally bought into their style of play, balanced between scorers, unselfishness and role players, and more talent than I thought we had four weeks ago. This of course, includes a guy who at least a few other guys think will be playing in another league next year.

** So I’ll sign off this season with a sincere congratulations to our team and our coaching staff for a wonderful start to what has the early look of what looks like could be a special season.
As I watched Pitt blow this team out I wondered if the Stallings year 2 team would have lost to Jacksonville tonight. I think it would have been a really close game and can't say with any confidence that Pitt team would have won.

So to finally watch a Pitt team look so good in the early going is super exciting. I hope it can continue with 2 wins in the NIT next week.

Reactions: mo cheeks

Just before halftime the guy in back of me said, “ Pitt’s letting them hang around.”
The score at the time was 52-22.
The last time that Pitt played Jacksonville was December of 2021.
Pitt lead 26-24 at halftime before pulling away to win 64-55.
Femi Odukale lead Pitt with 28 points.

Last edited:
Just before halftime the guy in back of me said, “ Pitt’s letting them hang around.”
The score at the time was 52-22.
The only other time that Pitt played Jacksonville was December of 2021.
Pitt lead 26-24 at halftime before pulling away to win 64-55.
LOL

As @Mike83 has often reminded me, this just isn't a hoops town!

Allow me to also add that I know that we played Jacksonville back in the 88-89 season because I recall Jason Matthews scored 34. I can't recall the score though, I think it was single digits though.

Reactions: Mike83
DT,

Great observations as always! It appears this team can roll, as everybody knows their role!

And thanks for not mentioning Barry Goheen again, as I was at the NCAA tournament game in Lincoln, Nebraska that fateful day. To this day, it still sticks with me, as that team had championship capabilities.

And who knows, we may be saying this team has championship capabilities!

Hail to PITT,
-Al-

LOL

As @Mike83 has often reminded me, this just isn't a hoops town!

Allow me to also add that I know that we played Jacksonville back in the 88-89 season because I recall Jason Matthews scored 34. I can't recall the score though, I think it was single digits though.
Just saw that FGCU lost again tonight to Missouri State. They are 1-3. I love this Pitt team but my only worry going into next week is how much of a struggle it was to put FGCU away. We were only up 5 late in the game and they hung around a lot. Don't know what to make of it but them losing tonight concerns me just a little on why we struggled so much against a 1-3 team.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
Just saw that FGCU lost again tonight to Missouri State. They are 1-3. I love this Pitt team but my only worry going into next week is how much of a struggle it was to put FGCU away. We were only up 5 late in the game and they hung around a lot. Don't know what to make of it but them losing tonight concerns me just a little on why we struggled so much against a 1-3 team.
Fair concerns for sure.

Reactions: PittPoker
Missouri state shot 48 percent from 3 to FGCU 21 percent. They shot 29 percent from 3 against Pitt who only shot 28 percent from 3 and missed 14 FT…Pitt covered. FGCu also played Indiana close and Miss st also played WVU close in opener. It’s one game. We aren’t going to win them all.

Reactions: 4Mark_Marty
Missouri state shot 48 percent from 3 to FGCU 21 percent. They shot 29 percent from 3 against Pitt who only shot 28 percent from 3 and missed 14 FT…Pitt covered. FGCu also played Indiana close and Miss st also played WVU close in opener. It’s one game. We aren’t going to win them all.
Fair points but it does concern me a little.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ

** So I’ll sign off this season with a sincere congratulations to our team and our coaching staff for a wonderful start to what has the early appearance of what looks like could be a special season.
@DT_PITT, the Panthers scored 107 points tonight. But you know what impressed me the most? The defense and defensive rebounding. Why?

Because coming into the game, what I had heard talked about the most about Jacksonville was their physical play and ability to rebound. Especially to offensive rebound.

The game tonight showed me that Pitt staff emphasized keeping the Dolphins off the offensive boards. The Panthers clearly listened.😉

Remember DT it was not that long ago that Femi was considered 1 of our best players. So much progress with the program in a short amount of time and I don't think anyone expected it.

Wish Femi well though.

Pitt has never had a guy like Bub in my experience and never such a deep team. I can’t see any other ACC team beating them for the regular season leaders.

Maybe Bub will be our Carmelo and bring a championship home.

I’m not even drinking.
What?

Are you suggesting Pitt is the best team in the ACC? And did you just compare a Pitt freshman to Carmelo Anthony?

Bub let the game and scoring come to him. He did not force scoring points. Impressive for a freshman.

Six turnovers for Pitt. In honor of Dick Groat, "wow."

Capel in post game called Leggett one of the best offense and defense combo guard in the country.

Good show for the recruits to include the five star. Team continues to make a lot of extra passes for easier hoops. Loved the pass out from Federico to Ish for corner three and the twins give and go to name just two.

I’m with you DT. It’s really hard to stay grounded and acknowledge that this team is yet to play a serious opponent. But dang have they been fun to watch so far. Unselfish, fast, athletic. And Capel’s system (when it works) makes for some fun basketball. Gotta imagine a lot of recruits would want to play this kind of style.

And I agree with @Sam Bam Clancy. Bub played a mature game. No pressing. No trying to get his. Played well within the flow of the game.

DT “effortless “ was the perfect word

As I’m laying in my bed with a broken ankle - let me
Offer another word “Blast”
This team is a blast to watch because of how multiple they are .
Last year was a blessing because we knew Burton’s will to win would be enough .

This year - holy crap all the guards love to pass , can really score , and Hinson has really elevated his already great game .

We likely miss the physical post that Kante could have provided - but holy hell are we long and bouncy 9 deep

Reactions: Ski11585
So far the only freshman that I saw play at Pitt that I can compare Bub too in talent is Charles Smith , I was also lucky enough to see Billy Knight play at Pitt , but back then freshman weren’t allowed to play so he was technically a sophomore.( I’d add the Big Fella if he had a a better mid range jumper , but he was really something too .) Both of those guys went onto to being NBA all stars and neither of them dominated the game so effortlessly this early in their careers at Pitt . Like Bub both were obviously the best players on the court the first time I saw them play and I knew they were sure fire future NBAers . Bub can do it all and he doesn’t force a thing , it’s quite amazing the maturity he displays at 18 . As the competition stiffens we’ll learn just how good he really is ( he’s that good imo ) and unfortunately for us Panther fans how long we’ll get to see Bub play in a Panther uniform.

These next few games will give an indication just how good this team is , but this is a team that will improve as the season goes on . They’re young and should continue to improve as they gain more experience playing together and Austin really hasn’t found his offense yet . If he starts hitting his shots Pitt will become unstoppable on offense . The only weakness we’ve seen as far could be against a team will talented powerful bigs .

Pitt is back !

** So I’ll sign off this season with a sincere congratulations to our team and our coaching staff for a wonderful start to what has the early appearance of what looks like could be a special season.
Lots to like so far. Similar to last year, the guys really seem to like each other and play with each other. Good to see.

Much better at the FT line. Still worry a bit about the big guys going to the line when conference play starts.

A couple times the boys had trouble in bounding the ball under their hoop. Have to be crisper there.

Austin hitting a few more shots from the floor would really propel this team. I’m patient with him still.

Foul trouble might be an issue for the big guys in conference game. Worried about Fede getting early ones.

All is good with this team. Coaching staff intact Capel’s entire time is probably a plus. I thought he would be forced to make changes a couple years ago.

Let’s beat Florida.

Last edited:
As I watched Pitt blow this team out I wondered if the Stallings year 2 team would have lost to Jacksonville tonight. I think it would have been a really close game and can't say with any confidence that Pitt team would have won.

So to finally watch a Pitt team look so good in the early going is super exciting. I hope it can continue with 2 wins in the NIT next week.

This is going to be interesting. Its times like this I really miss living in Pittsburgh. Also, can't be in NY for NIT, going to Hilton Head with my three daughters, son in law and 2 significant others. I am sure I well get some weird looks fighting to watch the panther games. This team has so much potential. I do find myself rooting for bub to be really good, but not so good that he leaves after one year ::) Still, if he does, the team has so much talent and a really good recruiting class, that I think the program will still be stellar. Capel has it rolling ! The only weakness I have seen to this point, is our bigs having one down game.

@DT_PITT, the Panthers scored 107 points tonight. But you know what impressed me the most? The defense and defensive rebounding. Why?

Because coming into the game, what I had heard talked about the most about Jacksonville was their physical play and ability to rebound. Especially to offensive rebound.

The game tonight showed me that Pitt staff emphasized keeping the Dolphins off the offensive boards. The Panthers clearly listened.😉
I definitely agree about the defensive rebounding. Overall, I think out defense has been pretty good but there is some room to grow. The attitude and effort is there though.

I definitely agree about the defensive rebounding. Overall, I think out defense has been pretty good but there is some room to grow. The attitude and effort is there though.
Absolutely there’s room to grow on D. But I thought the D to start to the game last night was really excellent, in particular. Lots of energy. Altered what inside shots J’ville got and pestered them from the outside. Really helped Pitt get out to that huge lead. The intensity likely dropped off a bit in the 2H because of the score.

Pitt held the Dolphins to 3 OR’s for the game. That’s outstanding. 51-29 total rebounding margin for Pitt.

Oh, and the Pitt offense was PDG, too. 😉. Team has shown some ability to score in a variety of ways. Also in both the half court and transition. Fun group to watch so far. No doubt next week will reveal quite a bit more. Different venue and some top notch opposition.

Might help to provide some more input on Austin, FF and the twins, too. Because think the front court on both ends could hold a very big key to how good Pitt is and what their potential ceiling is for this season.

When Carrington missed a foul shot half way through the first half to make us 3-5 for the half, I overheard someone bitching about how foul shooting was just killing us. The score at the time was 19-4.

• Haha
Reactions: TheSpecialSauce

** Perhaps it’s wiser for me, and those like me who attend the church of Pitt Basketball, to stop trying to decide if we are really this good and just appreciate how good we have been to this point.

** And while I’m at it, allow me to note that we’ve blocked a pretty extraordinary 29 shots in our first four games.

** So for this Panther fan, and I’m sure most of the rest of you, this trip to Brooklyn may be the most anticipated out of conference game for our Hoopers in quite some time. I have to go back to the season opener against Gonzaga in 2015 for a time when I was so excited.

** So I’ll sign off this season with a sincere congratulations to our team and our coaching staff for a wonderful start to what has the early appearance of what could be a special season.

Sorry to be so graphic, but NET was beating off last night. NET loves blowouts.

This is going to be interesting. Its times like this I really miss living in Pittsburgh. Also, can't be in NY for NIT, going to Hilton Head with my three daughters, son in law and 2 significant others. I am sure I well get some weird looks fighting to watch the panther games. This team has so much potential. I do find myself rooting for bub to be really good, but not so good that he leaves after one year ::) Still, if he does, the team has so much talent and a really good recruiting class, that I think the program will still be stellar. Capel has it rolling ! The only weakness I have seen to this point, is our bigs having one down game.
It might be a blessing into have played FGCU early. Exposed the bigs and showed them what kind of force they will need to play with to be their best.

Reactions: MajorMajors
Yep. Best team in the ACC. The Carmelo comparison is a stretch at this point but the point I was making is he could lead us to a record tournament run. Beside skills, he has IT and helps translate it to the whole team.

Look, I know it is early and in truth, I was drinking a bit but as much as I loved Fields, Knight and the rest of the great guards Pitt had, Bub looks better at this point. Our fast pace combined with our depth gives us something I’ve never seen at Pitt. And while our defense may not be great, our length can add address a lot of flaws and our depth will add to the defensive effort. Plus, Jeffers can neutralize just about any big man.

Yea, I think this team is unique and the best in the ACC.

Yep. Best team in the ACC. The Carmelo comparison is a stretch at this point but the point I was making is he could lead us to a record tournament run. Beside skills, he has IT and helps translate it to the whole team.

Look, I know it is early and in truth, I was drinking a bit but as much as I loved Fields, Knight and the rest of the great guards Pitt had, Bub looks better at this point. Our fast pace combined with our depth gives us something I’ve never seen at Pitt. And while our defense may not be great, our length can add address a lot of flaws and our depth will add to the defensive effort. Plus, Jeffers can neutralize just about any big man.

Yea, I think this team is unique and the best in the ACC.

We have shooting, we have length, we have depth, we have chemistry.

It's up to the players continuing to put in the effort to get better and the coaches to coach these guys hard to maximize this team. There is no ceiling with this team. None. The defense is going to dictate just how good we can become.

We shouldn't be scared to play anybody. Duke, Kansas, Uconn, anybody.

Reactions: gilligan 3
Losses will come when 3-point shooting is off against teams that are very physical inside.
I think we can more than hold up against physical teams inside. I think we’ll win against teams who want to bang around inside way, way, way more often than not.

Losses will come when 3-point shooting is off against teams that are very physical inside.

We are shooting 72% as a team within 5 feet of the basket through 4 games. It would be wise to continue to attack the interior.

And Jaland Lowe is far better attacking the paint and making things happen in the interior.

Bub let the game and scoring come to him. He did not force scoring points. Impressive for a freshman.

Six turnovers for Pitt. In honor of Dick Groat, "wow."

Capel in post game called Leggett one of the best offense and defense combo guard in the country.

Good show for the recruits to include the five star. Team continues to make a lot of extra passes for easier hoops. Loved the pass out from Federico to Ish for corner three and the twins give and go to name just two.
Bub is not "letting the game and scoring come to him". He's a scoring PG. It's his job to initiate.

Defeatist attitude.
Believe you over reacted. Not expecting a lot of losses. There will be some and IMHO, most likely when Pitt has an off-night shooting the 3-ball against teams with muscular post players who over power our 3 thin 6-11 guys.

Last edited:
Believe you over reacted. Not expecting a lot of losses. There will be some and IMHO, most likely when Pitt has an off-night shooting the 3-ball against teams with muscular post players who over power or 3 thin 6-11 guys.
But there are few teams we play that have that size and even fewer that have bigs who can drain 3s like twins. Fede did ok and improved against last season about true bigs. Maybe twins do the same this years. It’s what makes the tourney more about matchups than talent some times. I’d rather have people who can score than rely on D.

The easiest way to beat Pitt is to get Hinson and Bub to foul out. Bub plays emotional. Get some techs on him. Austin not scoring is a factor. Will not scoring is a factor. This places a lot of importance on Lowe to develop quickly and after two slow starts, he has had OR comparable to bub last two games…If Lowe keeps that up it really makes it hard for teams to get any rest against the guards.

Last edited:
But there are few teams we play that have that size and even fewer that have bigs who can drain 3s like twins. Fede did ok and improved against last season about true bigs. Maybe twins do the same this years. It’s what makes the tourney more about matchups than talent some times. I’d rather have people who can score than rely on D.

The easiest way to beat Pitt is to get Hinson and Bub to foul out. Bub plays emotional. Get some techs on him. Austin not scoring is a factor. Will not scoring is a factor. This places a lot of importance on Lowe to develop quickly and after two slow starts, he has had OR comparable to bub last two games…If Lowe keeps that up it really makes it hard for teams to get any rest against the guards.
In any event, teams (especially in the ACC) will try to control (slow) the pace and keep it a lower scoring half court game. The FGCU game suggests that strategy even if it wasn't going to be obvious to P5 coaches already.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT