ADVERTISEMENT

Cuse Game @ Syracuse & Other Dribbles ...

DT_PITT

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 17, 2001
** One of the things we’ve liked about our Panthers at times this year, and actually over the last two years is how much fun they often look like they are having playing basketball together.

** For much of this game, and especially all of the second half, the Orange surely squeezed all the fun out of this game. And subsequently, the end result for the team and its fans was about as “unfun” as it could possibly have been.

** One of the things we already have learned about our Panthers this year is how they can get physically overwhelmed during games. This is completely what happened to our guys today.

** It’s a little difficult to understand why our physically presence has dropped off so dramatically from the year prior. Burton was tough for sure, but his absence doesn’t seem like it should be able to explain the entire problem.

** All we can say for sure it that we experienced a second half beatdown like we haven’t seen in some time. We were manhandled on the boards and allowed the Cuse to operate without any difficulty on their offensive end.

** On the other end, the Cuse’s aggressive defensive approach showed our physical weakness as well. They caused turnovers and slowed our ball movement. It wasn’t pretty. And it surely wasn’t very much fun.

** What’s even less fun it what this loss says about our prospects for success this season. It’s hard not to think that opponents going forward will try to repeat the this highly physical approach, especially when it comes to guarding Blake Hinson.

** But Ish also struggled mightily with the stronger Orange. Same can be said for Bub in the second half.

** Sure there were a couple bright spots. Jaland had some answers in the second half for an effective stretch, but he couldn’t sustain it. GDG's shooting was welcome as was Austins' , and Fede had a strong first half before getting beaten down in the second twenty.

** Will was solid defensively and did his now typical strong board work, but foul trouble got the best of him. It’s probably not a coincidence that the Panthers were down by two when he exited with 12:37 remaining in the second half and the Cuse outscored us by 9 in the next 10 minutes or so.

** And this isn’t to say Will was a physical presence before that moment. But he brought more than his share of toughness and energy and for the first half at least, and it was one of the few times that it looked like anyone was having all that much fun on the court. And it could be said that Will’s energy fueled the run that gave us a 10 point first half lead.

** What’s the least fun about today, and writing these thoughts tonight, is what it seems to say for our Panther prospects to the rest of the season.

** Yesterday, @Chris Peak placed an article asking if 12.5 wins seemed like a good over under for the number of Panther ACC wins for the season. Before today, and looking at the schedule, coming up with 13 wins wasn’t a completely difficult exercise.

** But admittedly, the Cuse game today was one of the games needed to come up with the 13 win count. Now, looking at that same schedule, it’s rougher coming to a count of as many as 10 ACC wins. In fact, that looks optimistic at the moment.

** And this isn’t to suggest that I believe this season is down the drain. I believe we will shoot our way to at least a couple nice wins in the next two months. But without more physicality, the path to enough of them seems highly unlikely for any meaningful postseason.

** That is, unless Coach Capel can find some magic. But I don't see how he can give his team a crash course in the weight room in the next 72 hours, and therefore, I just don’t know where there’s any magic to be found.

** And this isn’t to say that I felt Capel necessarily did a poor job today. But to this point in the season, it appears he doesn’t have the horses needed to succeed with the free flowing fun style of play that led to last year’s success, or to be the pesky defense he wants this team to be.

** More than anyone in the second half, Capel looked like he was having the least fun of all. I suspect the look on his face indicated he just didn’t know where he was going to find any easy answers, not just for this game, but for the next 18 either.

** If there’s still any real fun to be had this season, it better start on Tuesday against the Tar Heels.

I’m glad I am not the only one who has noticed Capel’s demeanor. Maybe I’m reading into things too much, but even after last years success I get the impression that this job is just an awkward fit for him and it’s showing thru in body language. Personally, I think he’s starting to find a sweet spot between the portal and recruiting but something just seems to be missing.

good points but this season will be a bust it’s very obvious they don’t have what it takes
Need better frontline play period and there are no miracles for that

** One of the things we’ve liked about our Panthers at times this year, and actually over the last two years is how much fun they often look like they are having playing basketball together.

** For much of this game, and especially all of the second half, the Orange surely squeezed all the fun out of this game. And subsequently, the end result for the team and its fans was about as “unfun” as it could possibly have been.

** One of the things we already have learned about our Panthers this year is how they can get physically overwhelmed during games. This is completely what happened to our guys today.

** It’s a little difficult to understand why our physically presence has dropped off so dramatically from the year prior. Burton was tough for sure, but his absence doesn’t seem like it should be able to explain the entire problem.

** All we can say for sure it that we experienced a second half beatdown like we haven’t seen in some time. We were manhandled on the boards and allowed the Cuse to operate without any difficulty on their offensive end.

** On the other end, the Cuse’s aggressive defensive approach showed our physical weakness as well. They caused turnovers and slowed our ball movement. It wasn’t pretty. And it surely wasn’t very much fun.

** What’s even less fun it what this loss says about our prospects for success this season. It’s hard not to think that opponents going forward will try to repeat the this highly physical approach, especially when it comes to guarding Blake Hinson.

** But Ish also struggled mightily with the stronger Orange. Same can be said for Bub in the second half.

** Sure there were a couple bright spots. Jaland had some answers in the second half for an effective stretch, but he couldn’t sustain it. GDG's shooting was welcome as was Austins' , and Fede had a strong first half before getting beaten down in the second twenty.

** Will was solid defensively and did his now typical strong board work, but foul trouble got the best of him. It’s probably not a coincidence that the Panthers were down by two when he exited with 12:37 remaining in the second half and the Cuse outscored us by 9 in the next 10 minutes or so.

** And this isn’t to say Will was a physical presence before that moment. But he brought more than his share of toughness and energy and for the first half at least, and it was one of the few times that it looked like anyone was having all that much fun on the court. And it could be said that Will’s energy fueled the run that gave us a 10 point first half lead.

** What’s the least fun about today, and writing these thoughts tonight, is what it seems to say for our Panther prospects to the rest of the season.

** Yesterday, @Chris Peak placed an article asking if 12.5 wins seemed like a good over under for the number of Panther ACC wins for the season. Before today, and looking at the schedule, coming up with 13 wins wasn’t a completely difficult exercise.

** But admittedly, the Cuse game today was one of the games needed to come up with the 13 win count. Now, looking at that same schedule, it’s rougher coming to a count of as many as 10 ACC wins. In fact, that looks optimistic at the moment.

** And this isn’t to suggest that I believe this season is down the drain. I believe we will shoot our way to at least a couple nice wins in the next two months. But without more physicality, the path to enough of them seems highly unlikely for any meaningful postseason.

** That is, unless Coach Capel can find some magic. But I don't see how he can give his team a crash course in the weight room in the next 72 hours, and therefore, I just don’t know where there’s any magic to be found.

** And this isn’t to say that I felt Capel necessarily did a poor job today. But to this point in the season, it appears he doesn’t have the horses needed to succeed with the free flowing fun style of play that led to last year’s success, or to be the pesky defense he wants this team to be.

** More than anyone in the second half, Capel looked like he was having the least fun of all. I suspect the look on his face indicated he just didn’t know where he was going to find any easy answers, not just for this game, but for the next 18 either.

** If there’s still any real fun to be had this season, it better start on Tuesday against the Tar Heels.
A lot, I meant a whole lot went wrong today. Much of it had nothing to do with coaching, but

DT, how much do you think coaching impacted the result today.

Do you think Pitt could have gone small, no center?

Do you think early in the second half we forced it to Blake too much? And...

when that did not work, Carrington and Leggett began to panic and felt the pressure to take it upon themselves to score?

Would a better coach have corrected that Before things got there?

Last edited:
Reactions: CCHS82
A lot, I meant a whole lot went wrong today. Much of it had nothing to do with coaching, but

when that did not work, Carrington and Leggett began to panic and felt the pressure to take it upon themselves to score?

Would a better coach have corrected that much sooner?
What I don’t understand is why we don’t run more offense to get Blake open for 3’s. He just stands and shuffles 10 feet behind the three point line looking for a kick out. Where is the Spanish PnR, Horns, etc. Feels like it’s all iso and Bub driving and mid range or kick and then who knows.

I’m glad I am not the only one who has noticed Capel’s demeanor. Maybe I’m reading into things too much, but even after last years success I get the impression that this job is just an awkward fit for him and it’s showing thru in body language. Personally, I think he’s starting to find a sweet spot between the portal and recruiting but something just seems to be missing.
I don’t believe it’s an awkward fit. If he doesn’t fit at an ACC school, where does he fit? He was the least successful Oklahoma coach since 1980, so I don’t think that was a fit either. I think it’s more of a he doesn’t have the answers, there isn’t much help on the bench in way of staff, they don’t really run anything offensively and that style is only good if you have guys who can get in the lane at will, finish, and draw enough guys to get open 3’s.

** Sure there were a couple bright spots. Jaland had some answers in the second half for an effective stretch, but he couldn’t sustain it. GDG's shooting was welcome as was Austins' ,and Fede had a strong first half before getting beaten down in the second twenty.

** That is, unless Coach Capel can find some magic. But unless he can give his team a crash course in the weight room in the next 72 hours, I just don’t know where there’s any magic to be found.

This to me has been a more difficult team to figure out (to an extent) and with how to maximize our players strengths while offsetting weaknesses. Surprisingly to probably many, our team defense is ranked 29th in the country by Torvik over the course of our last 10 games, 4 of which are losses.

In our 4 losses this season, Carrington is averaging 3.5 turnovers per game. I was worried about this in the preseason.

In our 4 losses, these are our teams free throw percentages.

vs Florida 13-21 61%
vs Mizzou 25-31 80%
vs Clemson 12-22 54%
vs Syracuse 11-24 45%

Last years team was money from the foul line, especially from the guards. This years team isn't close. We shot free throws last year over 8% better for the entire team.

In 3 of our 4 losses, Guillermo had the flu and played poorly. Today, Guillermo had 14 points against Syracuse and the last power 6 team he played against he had 15 points against West Virginia. Both games were on the road. Im not saying Pitt would of won any of the previous games with a healthy Guillermo, but I am saying those scores would have been tighter with a healthy Guillermo.

Ish Legget in Pitt's 4 losses.

7-20 shooting against Florida
1-8 shooting against Mizzou with 6 turnovers
6-11 shooting against Clemson
2-10 shooting against Syracuse with 4 turnovers

It could be argued quite easily that the Mizzou loss was caused by 1 player, Ish.

Without beating the dead horse any more, Fede has been a train wreck for a lot of this season.

With all that said, I do think this team might have another gear this season if Jaland Lowe can get it going more consistently. I really like his upside as a college player, and his misses from around 12 feet and in are going to be going in the basket a lot more consistently at some point. As I pointed out in the game thread, a lot of those short midrange / floater / short shot misses are barely missing.

Reactions: rockypanther
What I don’t understand is why we don’t run more offense to get Blake open for 3’s. He just stands and shuffles 10 feet behind the three point line looking for a kick out. Where is the Spanish PnR, Horns, etc. Feels like it’s all iso and Bub driving and mid range or kick and then who knows.
I felt coaching contributed to the Missouri loss and this loss. Exchange coaches and Pitt wins Both games.

I think if these 2 teams played 10 times they’d each win 5, they are very closely matched. That’s not good news for a team like Pitt that won a couple games in the tournament last year.

I see this team as being good enough to upset a couple better teams at home this year, but could easily dump a few road games to the conference dregs as well.

Best chance to get back to NCAA Tournament may rest on a deep run in conference tournament and a weak bubble.

Reactions: Bethlehemjohn

Would a better coach have corrected that much sooner?

It's so hard to say about coaching. First, let's just say that everything has to do with coaching and the Cuse coach somehow inspired his team to come out with more physicality, especially in the second half. Capel wasn't able to motivate his troops to do the same.

Having said this, I just didn't see an X's and O's type move that I felt would have made a difference. Let's also not forget that this was a tie game with 5 minutes to go, and Cuse got two, and Blake followed with turnover trying to drive the ball.

Along the same lines, what is Capel supposed to do when his main weapon fires 1-7 from three. If I'm Capel, I'm encouraging Blake to keep shooting.

Let's also not forget that we were a really bad 11-24 from the foul line, and 6 or 7 more points from the line and this is easily a different game. (And contrary to grumpy opinions, I know that Pitt practices and works on foul shots just as much as any other team.)

He tried a zone which has helped at times this year but really seemed to make things worse this time. Going small (Blake at the five?) didn't seem like a good idea when you are getting beaten on the board and manhandled physically. Especially with Will out with four fouls.

My fear is pretty simple. I don't think a better coach has better moves to be made in a game like this. For the most part, we just need better players, or need Blake to score more.

I don’t believe it’s an awkward fit. If he doesn’t fit at an ACC school, where does he fit? He was the least successful Oklahoma coach since 1980, so I don’t think that was a fit either. I think it’s more of a he doesn’t have the answers, there isn’t much help on the bench in way of staff, they don’t really run anything offensively and that style is only good if you have guys who can get in the lane at will, finish, and draw enough guys to get open 3’s.
More or less, I basically agree.

If some casual bball yinzer asked me "What's wrong with Pitt," I'd answer 2 things:

- No inside presence offensively or defensively

- Nobody replaced Greg Elliot's shooting

But mostly the inside presence

They may reply what do I mean because isnt Federico back. And I would say, yea, it doesn't make sense. He is so much worse this year. Last year he was being hyped for ACC DPOY. This year, if he isnt the worst starting-ish Center in the league, I dont know who is. It makes no sense. I would take Terrell Brown or Kene Chukwuka over this version of him. I dont understand it. And GDG is too thin to defend.

It's so hard to say about coaching. First, let's just say that everything has to do with coaching and the Cuse coach somehow inspired his team to come out with more physicality, especially in the second half. Capel wasn't able to motivate his troops to do the same.

Having said this, I just didn't see an X's and O's type move that I felt would have made a difference. Let's also not forget that this was a tie game with 5 minutes to go, and Cuse got two, and Blake followed with turnover trying to drive the ball.

Along the same lines, what is Capel supposed to do when his main weapon fires 1-7 from three. If I'm Capel, I'm encouraging Blake to keep shooting.

Let's also not forget that we were a really bad 11-24 from the foul line, and 6 or 7 more points from the line and this is easily a different game. (And contrary to grumpy opinions, I know that Pitt practices and works on foul shots just as much as any other team.)

He tried a zone which has helped at times this year but really seemed to make things worse this time. Going small (Blake at the five?) didn't seem like a good idea when you are getting beaten on the board and manhandled physically. Especially with Will out with four fouls.

My fear is pretty simple. I don't think a better coach has better moves to be made in a game like this. For the most part, we just need better players, or need Blake to score more.

Agreed. Better players on both sides of the court are needed. I still cannot get over how we just completely collapsed defensively in the second half and let 'Cuse score 51 points in that half alone while their defense limited us to 35. They beat us up by 16 in the second half after overcoming an 8 point halftime deficit. Not to mention how badly we were outrebounded in the second half. 'Cuse either has much better players or their coaching and halftime adjustments are much, much better than ours. Probably a little of both.

I continue to be a big fan of Jaland. I think he's a tremendous talent and needs to be on the court a lot more at PG.

I agree that it will be difficult for us to come up with 10 ACC wins this year. If Pitt is to make it back to the NCAA's this year, it looks like we'll need a deep run in the ACCT, maybe as far as winning the championship, to have any hope at all. We just don't have any real quality, Q1 or Q2 wins to brag about. Any P6 wins we've had are against mostly Q4 teams.

Reactions: Somerset Panther

Thanks for the reply

he doesn’t have the horses needed to succeed with the free flowing fun style of play ...

I suspect the look on his face indicated he just didn’t know where he was going
These two concepts pretty much sum up the limitations in place as long as HCJC is at Pitt
(Free flowing style of play = Not much coaching, at least at game time.....)
He would be a great "Director of Basketball Operations". He has been immersed in the college game at successful programs his entire life. By all accounts, he knows how to organize the players routine, he has great contacts and networking within high levels of the game. He is not surprised by situations that arise in the context of injuries, schedules, etc. All that said he does not have the underdog mentality to create a blue collar, tough, grind it out program. If some of the talented players from the portal bring that mentality with them, and they are leaders, the team will have it(i.e. Burton and company) otherwise, when the ball does not go in the hoop, babble about the poor shooting night at the Post game Presser and move on to the next game.....

I can agree with this.

My take on Jeff has always been that he wanted to use us as a re-launch point for his career, which was fine. We were in disrepair, needed a jolt of energy, and initially he provided just that even if the results took a while to catch up. If he leaves for another job, ideally he’s doing so with the program much better than when he started.

My tin-foil hat conspiracy is that he thought ACC experience would put him in a good spot to replace Coach K at Duke. When they went with Scheyer, I think it caused Capel to re-evaluate where he is at in his career.

I can absolutely see your point on no answers and the staff thing. He’s got a lot of interesting puzzle pieces but our puzzle only fits together in one specific way. If we’re not shooting, we don’t really have secondary weapons or a lock down defense to use as a crutch to survive shooting lulls

I can agree with this.

My take on Jeff has always been that he wanted to use us as a re-launch point for his career, which was fine. We were in disrepair, needed a jolt of energy, and initially he provided just that even if the results took a while to catch up. If he leaves for another job, ideally he’s doing so with the program much better than when he started.

My tin-foil hat conspiracy is that he thought ACC experience would put him in a good spot to replace Coach K at Duke. When they went with Scheyer, I think it caused Capel to re-evaluate where he is at in his career.

I can absolutely see your point on no answers and the staff thing. He’s got a lot of interesting puzzle pieces but our puzzle only fits together in one specific way. If we’re not shooting, we don’t really have secondary weapons or a lock down defense to use as a crutch to survive shooting lulls
I think he knew when he took the Pitt job he wasn’t the choice at Duke unless Scheyer fails or he doesn’t leave.

Maybe the staff has no say on what we run. Who knows. What I do know is I follow buckets basketball and pick n pop on twitter and every day they post 5-6 clips from different colleges where they get easy uncontested 3’s or layups out of sets. I don’t ever see us get uncontested buckets. If we could draw up 3 layups and an open 3 per game that would be enough, but we seem to not run enough sets to do that. Even in the days where we scored 55 points we had plays that got an O Lett, Torree Morris, Chevy wide open block layup or a Julius backdoor dunk. Am I sniffing glue here? I don’t see those types of plays being run ever.

I had a bad feeling about this game. Pitt has had Cuse’s number lately, so it felt like they were due for a loss to them. Add to it being on the road, and unfortunately the realization that they’re probably better than they were last year and we’re probably worse than we were last year, and… yeah.

Losing the way they did and falling to 0-2 in conference play with a tough slate ahead is extremely discouraging. I just looked at the schedule in January and got worried, because I’m not so sure I see them exiting the month any better than 4-6 in conference. But let’s just try to take things one game at a time, and who knows, maybe they’ll surprise us against UNC.

I felt coaching contributed to the Missouri loss and this loss. Exchange coaches and Pitt wins Both games.
Maybe the Mizzou game, MAYBE. Autry didn’t do anything special that Capel didn’t do. I think they’re very similar coaches. He changed defenses the same way Capel did. His team just made more timely shots and is way more athletic and tougher inside. Pretty simple. I actually think if you exchange coaches Capel wins w Cuse by 20 or so.

How many of our guys do you see cutting to sky for lobs when Carrington or Lowe drives? Our bigs can barely do that

Reactions: Pittisit4me
Things don’t always turn out as planned and I doubt that anyone including the coaching staff could’ve envisioned Fede‘s play to regress to the point to where it is at . The kid spent the entire offseason working on his game and his body . Did we just see him play a 10 game stretch last yr far over his head ? ( it appears so ) If the staff had any inkling that Fede’s play would regress this much they needed to prioritize a 5 in the portal . I can’t imagine that there were any concerns there to put any blame on the staff , aren’t young talented guys supposed to improve with age and experience ?

Papa K getting hurt certainly is an unknown factor this yr , but it leaves them very thin in the middle.

GDG has skills and before his career is over at Pitt he’ll become physically strong enough to be a full time 5 , bit I’d rather see him at the 4 playing along side a strong bull though .

The FT shooting is horrendous, is this just a in game issue , only those in practice know .

With the portal , the extra years of eligibility and the NIL college athletics is now a game where 18 yr olds are now play against 24 yr olds with nice bank accounts who’ve spent 5 maybe 6yrs of playing college ball . Guys who’d have left to play professionally are now staying in school because the pays better ( obviously not NBA ) and guaranteed ( Blake ! ) . How you assemble your roster ( portal vs High school ) and the amount of money you can spend now determines your success .

As good as Bub and Jaland are and are going to become would you be better off in the short term with 2 solid 5th yr guards and a center ? What’s to say that either of those guys or any other talented freshman they recruit won’t stay at Pitt for a couple of yrs and then enter the portal to cash in ? There’s always a guy with a bigger boat out there !

Building a program has changed . JC surely can recognize talent as well as anyone , but can Pitts booster come up with enough money to compete against programs that historically did whatever was needed to win . Finding and outbidding other schools for freshman recruits and the two or three portal guys who complete your roster is now paramount. Pitt hit gold with last yrs additions , it doesn’t appear so this yr .

These two concepts pretty much sum up the limitations in place as long as HCJC is at Pitt
(Free flowing style of play = Not much coaching, at least at game time.....)
He would be a great "Director of Basketball Operations". He has been immersed in the college game at successful programs his entire life. By all accounts, he knows how to organize the players routine, he has great contacts and networking within high levels of the game. He is not surprised by situations that arise in the context of injuries, schedules, etc. All that said he does not have the underdog mentality to create a blue collar, tough, grind it out program. If some of the talented players from the portal bring that mentality with them, and they are leaders, the team will have it(i.e. Burton and company) otherwise, when the ball does not go in the hoop, babble about the poor shooting night at the Post game Presser and move on to the next game.....
This should be pinned.

I think he knew when he took the Pitt job he wasn’t the choice at Duke unless Scheyer fails or he doesn’t leave.

Maybe the staff has no say on what we run. Who knows. What I do know is I follow buckets basketball and pick n pop on twitter and every day they post 5-6 clips from different colleges where they get easy uncontested 3’s or layups out of sets. I don’t ever see us get uncontested buckets. If we could draw up 3 layups and an open 3 per game that would be enough, but we seem to not run enough sets to do that. Even in the days where we scored 55 points we had plays that got an O Lett, Torree Morris, Chevy wide open block layup or a Julius backdoor dunk. Am I sniffing glue here? I don’t see those types of plays being run ever.

I think you're right. We don't seem to have the coaching that can strategize and draw up these plays that result in uncontested dunks, layups, and open 3's. Everything we run is contested and it seems to not be by design. That's on the coaches.

I think you're right. We don't seem to have the coaching that can strategize and draw up these plays that result in uncontested dunks, layups, and open 3's. Everything we run is contested and it seems to not be by design. That's on the coaches.
The buck always stops on big bosses desk in any endeavor, but thinking coaches in any sport that spend their entire lives studying the game and film don’t recognize ways to overcome or devise a strategy isn’t being realistic . The issue is can your players execute what they’ve been taught . Sometimes the other guys quicker , stronger more experienced or just better . Coaching matters , but the greatest coaches can’t win without great players .

This season what we’ve seen is Pitt is weak in the middle , they don’t shoot the ball as well as last yr and they can be pushed around and thrown off their game . The solution is simple guys like Bub ,Jaland and the twins need to get stronger and better and they need a stud in the middle . Can’t be fixed this yr !

We dont really run sets. We run a motion offense but its ultimately the players' responsibility to get open and to make plays within those confines. I dont think I've ever seen us run a set play.

I’ve seen a maybe a few finally after time outs but it’s still Jeffball. Save Burton last year single handedly saving possessions, his guards hit a wall vs better competition. A lot of it is due to him getting near zero at the 4/5 which is also killing him on d.

The buck always stops on big bosses desk in any endeavor, but thinking coaches in any sport that spend their entire lives studying the game and film don’t recognize ways to overcome or devise a strategy isn’t being realistic . The issue is can your players execute what they’ve been taught . Sometimes the other guys quicker , stronger more experienced or just better . Coaching matters , but the greatest coaches can’t win without great players .

This season what we’ve seen is Pitt is weak in the middle , they don’t shoot the ball as well as last yr and they can be pushed around and thrown off their game . The solution is simple guys like Bub ,Jaland and the twins need to get stronger and better and they need a stud in the middle . Can’t be fixed this yr !
I like the style of up-tempo ball we play under Capel. We are fun to watch when we are shooting well and we have some room out there. When better stronger athletes take that room away things just don't look so well. We had some guys that were men last year, they were strong in mind and body and were tough enough to play through contact and harassment. This year our guards are the exact opposite. However, they are blessed with more basketball talent and it will take time for them to get that "man" body. Hopefully they stay at Pitt and develop.

I am not ready at all to give up on Capel. We need to keep what we have for next year. If we can add Brandin Cummings and maybe a reclassed Thomas and get Papa back healthy, there will be much to look forward to.

I like the style of up-tempo ball we play under Capel. We are fun to watch when we are shooting well and we have some room out there. When better stronger athletes take that room away things just don't look so well. We had some guys that were men last year, they were strong in mind and body and were tough enough to play through contact and harassment. This year our guards are the exact opposite. However, they are blessed with more basketball talent and it will take time for them to get that "man" body. Hopefully they stay at Pitt and develop.

I am not ready at all to give up on Capel. We need to keep what we have for next year. If we can add Brandin Cummings and maybe a reclassed Thomas and get Papa back healthy, there will be much to look forward to.
JD’s best teams didn’t have more talented players than teams like UConn , Pitt had older stronger players with experience that played a physical style of ball that worn down more talented teams . Pitt is now on the receiving end of being pushed around .

If I was Bub , Jaland and the twins whatever time I spent in the weight room this year I double it !

JC is moving the program in the right direction and if 412 alliance can raise enough cash Pitt has the right HC .

JD’s best teams didn’t have more talented players than teams like UConn , Pitt had older stronger players with experience that played a physical style of ball that worn down more talented teams . Pitt is now on the receiving end of being pushed around .

If I was Bub , Jaland and the twins whatever time I spent in the weight room this year I double it !

JC is moving the program in the right direction and if 412 alliance can raise enough cash Pitt has the right HC .

I agree for now the program is still moving in the right direction.

Some people may disagree and that is ok, but this team looks completely different without Dior Johnson and Papa Kante on it right now. From my own forecast and predictions from last summer, I had Dior as the starting point guard and Kante as a major contributor off the bench at both PF and C to around 20 minutes a game. Dior Johnson was just short of a triple double the other night in juco. These were heavy losses and it was Pitt that screwed Capel on how the Dior situation unfolded.

Regardless, we know for sure we have 2 immediate impact players coming in next year with Kante and Brandin Cummings. And if some people are in the wait and see camp with these 2 players like they were with Carrington and Lowe, that is perfectly fine.

For Capel to continue moving this program forward, it should be a requirement that we get 1 more substantial impact player for next season. And I dont care where that player comes from, just get another major impact player. If we lose Carrington, we need another major impact player and another decent player on top of it.

We did not lose to Syracuse because of inferior guard play.

I agree for now the program is still moving in the right direction.

Some people may disagree and that is ok, but this team looks completely different without Dior Johnson and Papa Kante on it right now. From my own forecast and predictions from last summer, I had Dior as the starting point guard and Kante as a major contributor off the bench at both PF and C to around 20 minutes a game. Dior Johnson was just short of a triple double the other night in juco. These were heavy losses and it was Pitt that screwed Capel on how the Dior situation unfolded.

Regardless, we know for sure we have 2 immediate impact players coming in next year with Kante and Brandin Cummings. And if some people are in the wait and see camp with these 2 players like they were with Carrington and Lowe, that is perfectly fine.

For Capel to continue moving this program forward, it should be a requirement that we get 1 more substantial impact player for next season. And I dont care where that player comes from, just get another major impact player. If we lose Carrington, we need another major impact player and another decent player on top of it.

PG - Lowe
SG - Cummings
SF - Leggett
PF - ?
C - GDG/Kante

Still need to do serious work in the portal to get to the NCAAT. You gotta replace Hinson's scoring. I may go GDG at the 4 and try to bring in a top 5.

I don’t see us running Spanish PnR or Horns or much of anything. We actually ran some stuff last year.

I don’t understand how we can’t get Blake open through screening. What about an elevator screen? The Spanish PnR. Use Chicago and set a pin down screen for Blake to come up top for a pitch and shot. Put Blake as a Horn and have him post up on the block or up top and let him iso drive from the wing.

I see Bub driving a lot down the lane but never all the way. But Ish can drive so run Get to ISh on the wing with Bub. Or run pick and roll with a screen or ghost screen for Ish using Diaz and he can dive or pop.

Move Bub to the 2 and then let Lowe run the 1. Boom run Pistol sets for Bub and let him operate mid range. Or use Lowe in DHO with Bub.

Just some ideas.

I must be sniffing glue. How is “the right direction” one tournament appearance in 6 years and twice having a first team All ACC guy and not making it. Save for last year’s team which was aided by Hugley eating himself off the team, every roster has been an ill constructed mess with plenty of excuses to use for why they don’t perform. Too young, suspensions, injuries, Covid. We must be the first program in the history of the NCAA to have a kid expelled, arrested, or dealt with injuries or Covid. And certainly the first to have young guards. This team *isn’t* young. Fede is in his 3rd year of college, Hinson his 6th, the twins are 2 years removed from a top post grad program, ish is in year 3 and Austin and Jeffress in year 4. Carrington and Lowe are young, sure. Age wise we are as old or older than almost every ACC team. I’m not saying Pitt basketball should be like 01-13 and be expecting an appearance every year. We could get there again someday, but obviously not there yet. But to not build off last year’s team? Cmon. We had plenty to sell in the portal. 1 of every 2 years we should be in the tournament and probably more like 3/5. It’s not that hard. The ACC isn’t very good.

I must be sniffing glue. How is “the right direction” one tournament appearance in 6 years and twice having a first team All ACC guy and not making it. Save for last year’s team which was aided by Hugley eating himself off the team, every roster has been an ill constructed mess with plenty of excuses to use for why they don’t perform. Too young, suspensions, injuries, Covid. We must be the first program in the history of the NCAA to have a kid expelled, arrested, or dealt with injuries or Covid. And certainly the first to have young guards. This team *isn’t* young. Fede is in his 3rd year of college, Hinson his 6th, the twins are 2 years removed from a top post grad program, ish is in year 3 and Austin and Jeffress in year 4. Carrington and Lowe are young, sure. Age wise we are as old or older than almost every ACC team. I’m not saying Pitt basketball should be like 01-13 and be expecting an appearance every year. We could get there again someday, but obviously not there yet. But to not build off last year’s team? Cmon. We had plenty to sell in the portal. 1 of every 2 years we should be in the tournament and probably more like 3/5. It’s not that hard. The ACC isn’t very good.
I am still waiting for Jeff to make a coaching change🙄

I am still waiting for Jeff to make a coaching change🙄
I think the staff is fine as constructed if you use the new rule for 2 extra guys to add portal guys. Or an honest to god coach. It shouldn’t be used as just a promotion for guys already on staff. You can do that if you’re Duke or Kentucky (although they don’t) but if you’re Pitt you should constantly be an evolution of how you’re utilizing staff.

I don’t see us running Spanish PnR or Horns or much of anything. We actually ran some stuff last year.

I don’t understand how we can’t get Blake open through screening. What about an elevator screen? The Spanish PnR. Use Chicago and set a pin down screen for Blake to come up top for a pitch and shot. Put Blake as a Horn and have him post up on the block or up top and let him iso drive from the wing.

I see Bub driving a lot down the lane but never all the way. But Ish can drive so run Get to ISh on the wing with Bub. Or run pick and roll with a screen or ghost screen for Ish using Diaz and he can dive or pop.

Move Bub to the 2 and then let Lowe run the 1. Boom run Pistol sets for Bub and let him operate mid range. Or use Lowe in DHO with Bub.

Just some ideas.
You mean: Actually coach a bit?

PG - Lowe
SG - Cummings
SF - Leggett
PF - ?
C - GDG/Kante

Still need to do serious work in the portal to get to the NCAAT. You gotta replace Hinson's scoring. I may go GDG at the 4 and try to bring in a top 5.

I need to see how close we are to the tournament this year to really determine how much more we need. Right now my expectation is bubble but we dont have any quality wins to even be on the bubble right now. Im also expecting Carrington is coming back unless he is a at minimum a 1st round lock and potential high first round lock.

I could be wrong on Carrington, but I think he and his father understand that with at least 1 more year of college, he could be looking at a major stock increase in the NBA draft a year later with a really weak 2024 recruiting class that lacks NBA power.

it was Pitt that screwed Capel on how the Dior situation unfolded.
You are a joke. It was Capel that did himself in with no standards of character for his teams. Dior pleaded guilty to simple assault and strangulation, this of a women. People like he and you can stick together, but beating women is taboo to the civilized world.

Sell your soul

Reactions: Pitt KO

Leggett was fine. I questioned the Austin addition in real time because he didn't average enough at the low major level. Needed to do better there. We probably werent paying enough.

You are a joke. It was Capel that did himself in with no standards of character for his teams. Dior pleaded guilty to simple assault and strangulation, this of a women. People like he and you can stick together, but beating women is taboo to the civilized world.

Sell your soul

2 things are true:

1. Pitt should have kicked Dior off the team which would have made it easier to recruit portal guards like Noah Thomasson, who is averaging 12 at UGa. Getting him instead of Michael Hueitt is the difference.

2. Once re-admitted, Pitt shouldn't have kicked him out. You either let him back in or you dont. You dont let him back in for 2 semesters, let him go to Spain, and THEN kick him out.

Pitt handled it very poorly

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT