ADVERTISEMENT

Favorite Class/Professor at Pitt

For me, probably Existentialism with Hoagland. Fascinating man. Then probably Searle in English.

Undergrad Elein bishop film class.
Grad Dr. Berman in my history and education classes.

Terrorism with Prof Race. Lots of athletes in the class. The “the review” for the exam the class before was just all the questions and answers for the exam itself

Pitt professor Ted Windt and "Presidential Rhetoric".

It was an elective, not for my major..... but no professor at Pitt was better (or more entertaining) at his job that Teddy Windt. There isn't even a close second.

It was an elective, not for my major..... but no professor at Pitt was better (or more entertaining) at his job that Teddy Windt. There isn't even a close second.
I could never get in. It was always immediately filled.

Reactions: Jagdish
Don’t know about favorite class but the most bizarre class was called Computers and Culture. Think you had to be on drugs to follow it.

Funniest professor and class was History of Jazz as someone else mentioned above.

Reactions: Jagdish and DruidTM
US History with Rediker. Great lecturer. His class was pretty far left. We were assigned Zinn.
He was my favorite too. He is simply a marvelous speaker/educator. We're opposites on the political aisle but he opened my eyes and balanced the conversation.

He sits on the left but I think for the most part he's very evidenced based. I have a degree in Social Science as well as a minor in Africana Studies. Case in point, I was assigned an Ivan Van Sertima book back in the day and wanted Rediker's opinion of it. He basically said, he's open to ideas but the facts presented by Sertima were not backed up by evidence. I thought his opinion was pretty sound considering his baby is Atlantic History.

I loved Zinn's book when I was 19. I didn't notice it's lack of citations until I got older.

Who taught the "History of Pittsburgh" back in the late 90's early 2000's? He was phenomenal too. Wish I could remember his name. Another great professor was Laurence Glasco.

One of the worst professor's I had was a guy who taught Public Speaking. I did a damn speech on the history of Led Zeppelin and he gave me a D. The class graded me as an A. I asked why? He basically said he never liked Zeppelin and thought Jethro Tull was more influential. I was like WTF??

Who taught the "History of Pittsburgh" back in the late 90's early 2000's? He was phenomenal too. Wish I could remember his name. Another great professor was Laurence Glasco.

One of the worst professor's I had was a guy who taught Public Speaking. I did a damn speech on the history of Led Zeppelin and he gave me a D. The class graded me as an A. I asked why? He basically said he never liked Zeppelin and thought Jethro Tull was more influential. I was like WTF??

His classes were a good time.

Hmmm ... I took both in 87-88 -- never had any trouble because 500 people were in the class.
I tried in 90-92 but could never get in. Probably bc I was out of state and always registered late.

Since we are on this topic, here is a thought experiment. Go through your Pitt transcripts semester by semester, and see if you can remember every class, the instructor and at least one student. I found myself just about completely forgetting a couple of classes.

Loved that class. Also the History of Jazz.

Reactions: Jagdish and xslfyk4
My wife and I are both Pitt Grads and our two daughters also went to Pitt. They took an art history course that was mostly focussed on Europe I can’t remember the exact name of the course but they took it as an elective. Anyways a few years after they both had graduated we take a vacation to Italy and find ourselves in Florence standing in front of the statue of David. A couple of steps away from the David was another great piece and my wife and I both hear my daughters comment on the sculptor. My one daughter says to the other, “Do you remember sculptor from the Art History class at Pitt”. She says yes and they talk about it for a minute or so.

20 minutes later outside of the museum and my wife says to me,
“Did you hear the girls talking about that statue”. I said yes !
I then said “I guess that means they actually went to class”.

Who Knew !

• Haha
Reactions: HOF Coach

Yessir. Ted Windt all the way. As one person said it, “The classroom was his stage, and his students were the audience.” He could get more reaction from rolling his eyes or raising his eyebrows than anyone I ever saw.

I can honestly say that Windt’s lectures continued to influence my critical thinking and directed my choice of reading material many years after taking his class.

I tried in 90-92 but could never get in. Probably bc I was out of state and always registered late.

I wondered because it seemed like everyone could in those classes.

Professor Ogul - Poly Sci. Was able to make even the most boring aspects of the curriculum seem interesting.

Reactions: PittSquared
I greatly enjoyed my first-year criminal law class with John Burkoff, and I think race and the law with Jasmine Gonzales Rose (unfortunately, I arrived at Pitt a few years too late to take a class with Delgado) was one of the best classes I’ve taken at any level.

Great Great class. The stories and experiences this man shared were amazing. He brought in Cyril Wecht as a guest speaker during one lecture.

I enjoyed the Organized Crime class as well. I don't remember the name of the professor, Italian guy. Nothing but talking about the topic, then we got to pick a book, present it to him then write a term paper about it. I did mine on The Westies and he knew all about them.

Reactions: Jagdish
Very Honorable Mention:

I took the class, “On Death & Dying” with Lois Jaffe. Professor Jaffe had terminal (inoperable) cancer while teaching the course. Just an amazing example of courage….

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT