ADVERTISEMENT

Ffrench and Dane Jackson

Doubt French would be drafted and Jackson is probably a 5th or 6th rounder.

I would advise them to come back.

Ffrench would leave early to go play in the alliance of American football league? That would be hilarious.

I would be shocked if they leave. If someone is giving them the "advice" to leave they really need to take a hard look. This would be very "Greg Lee" type move in my opinion

I would be shocked if they leave. If someone is giving them the "advice" to leave they really need to take a hard look. This would be very "Greg Lee" type move in my opinion

I like Ffrench, and this is in no way a slight to him, but his production to date makes Greg Lee look like Larry Fitzgerald by comparison.

I like Ffrench, and this is in no way a slight to him, but his production to date makes Greg Lee look like Larry Fitzgerald by comparison.
My point being Greg Lee NEVER should have left for the draft when he did

I know Jackson is hoping to leave. It always depends on who they listen to, agents or coaches this time of year. Not sure about Ffrench

Ffrench would benefit immensely from another year to prove that he is a legitimate wr on top of being a returner and guy who runs jet sweeps. I think he could definitely find a role in the NFL similar to Ryan Switzer if he does. Otherwise he may end up scratching out a role similar to Quadree Henderson.

For Jackson, I think he should stay. I guess it depends if he feels the extra year gives him a chance to improve or fall back from being a mid round guy. His situation is a little less cut and dry to me as his path to $$$ is a little clearer.

Ffrench would benefit immensely from another year to prove that he is a legitimate wr on top of being a returner and guy who runs jet sweeps. I think he could definitely find a role in the NFL similar to Ryan Switzer if he does. Otherwise he may end up scratching out a role similar to Quadree Henderson.

For Jackson, I think he should stay. I guess it depends if he feels the extra year gives him a chance to improve or fall back from being a mid round guy. His situation is a little less cut and dry to me as his path to $$$ is a little clearer.
if Dane Jackson is a lock to get drafted and not picked up as a UFA, he should go.. I cant imagine his stock has risen to even being a mid round draft pick though, has it? I haven't seen any draft updates or lists so maybe im wrong..

If Jackson is a 4th-5th rd projected pick, you go.. another year at pitt isnt' moving him up to first day draft status.. with that said, I don't think he is on anyone's radar as far as being a mid or even late rd draft pick.. We pitt fans tend to over value our players..

Reactions: CCvNYC
Dane Jackson reminds me a little of Shawntae Spencer. Solid but not spectacular and ended up being 2nd Round pick. I think he needs to come back to be more dominant. I think his stock can rise and he plays a lower injury position. If he's guaranteed 3rd Round, go. If not, stay.

French? He has done very little in the passing game. Not all his fault obviously but he won't be drafted. He would be crazy to go. Needs to learn how to be a WR

My point being Greg Lee NEVER should have left for the draft when he did

I knew what you meant, just echoing the sentiment that if Lee (almost 2 1,000 yard seasons) wasn't ready, I'm not sure how Ffrench has proven himself. Obviously Ffrench has speed that Lee never did, so there is that. Somebody might take a chance on him as a special teams guy that could develop for offense. But I would be shocked if he were drafted.

Reactions: anon_vmuicqnzlyp3u
There has been no indication whatsoever that either of these players are considering opting for the NFL Draft... None...

Yet, as the yinzers we are, we must have something to wring our hands about, so we create these worrisome scenarios... Hell, even Paulbl99 says they’re “gonzo” without any evidence.... SHEESH!

There has been no indication whatsoever that either of these players are considering opting for the NFL Draft... None...

Yet, as the yinzers we are, we must have something to wring our hands about, so we create these worrisome scenarios... Hell, even Paulbl99 says they’re “gonzo” without any evidence.... SHEESH!
We pitt fans think 90% of our players are sure fire draft picks. Weird how we over value our players so drastically.

Carter ran a few jet sweeps and posters on this board were telling about how redshirting him is irrelevant because he won’t be around his sr year anyways. This based on a jet sweep run LOL.

We pitt fans think 90% of our players are sure fire draft picks. Weird how we over value our players so drastically.

Carter ran a few jet sweeps and posters on this board were telling about how redshirting him is irrelevant because he won’t be around his sr year anyways. This based on a jet sweep run LOL.

LOL!

Yup, they’re unimpressed when they’re recruited, they’re unimpressed with their play on the field and say we need better players, but at they end of the year, they’re speculating as to their draft status... HaHa!

if Dane Jackson is a lock to get drafted and not picked up as a UFA, he should go.. I cant imagine his stock has risen to even being a mid round draft pick though, has it? I haven't seen any draft updates or lists so maybe im wrong..

If Jackson is a 4th-5th rd projected pick, you go.. another year at pitt isnt' moving him up to first day draft status.. with that said, I don't think he is on anyone's radar as far as being a mid or even late rd draft pick.. We pitt fans tend to over value our players..

I thought I saw a projection of him in the 4th-5th but that may have just been in here. I don't remember.

Personally I don't see how Dane stays....I think he is a 2 or 3 round talent. To me he has been the best CB to play at Pitt since Revis. I know this is a lot of praise, but has the hardest job every night against a ton of talented ACC receivers and he always looks the part. Plus this coach doesn't give him any breaks they press man all night. He has NFL size too. I think about Artie burns and Dane is better than that right now.

Personally I don't see how Dane stays....I think he is a 2 or 3 round talent. To me he has been the best CB to play at Pitt since Revis. I know this is a lot of praise, but has the hardest job every night against a ton of talented ACC receivers and he always looks the part. Plus this coach doesn't give him any breaks they press man all night. He has NFL size too. I think about Artie burns and Dane is better than that right now.
ohhhhhhhh.0.gif

Only 2 stars....He sucks...

We get it bud. You posting that every time someone mentions one of our under-recruited players is as tired as the posters who have an apoplectic meltdown when they commit.

Too bad.... I ain’t gonna stop... Hit the ignore button...

Just Illustrating the absurd by being absurd...

if he's even close to as high as this projection, he should be finishing up his semester this week and pretty much say goodbye to Pitt, his spring classes, the staff and his friends with the university..

if he is projected as a 2nd and 3rd rd, he needs to start looking at agents and not even entertain the idea of coming back to pitt. I think you have him much higher on your draft board than every other person on this planet..

Dane has the size and skill to play in the NFL. I think another year at Pitt could really elevate his draft status, but that is far from a sure thing. If he hears 3rd round or above, he should go.

Ffrench on the other hand should definitely stay. If he goes, he'll be in the same spot as Henderson. He needs to come back next year, and become a more productive and consistent receiver. The kickoff is disappearing from the NFL.

I understand the comparisons of Ffrench to Henderson based upon their common ability as returners and usage on sweeps. But I don't think that QH is a good barometer for Ffrench's pro prospects either. Q never came close to making a catch like the one that Ffrench had against Wake Forest. Conversely, MF could greatly improve his stock with another year working to improve his routes to add to his physical skills. Q had speed, but whether or not he came back, his lot would have likely been the same due to his size.

Too bad.... I ain’t gonna stop... Hit the ignore button...

Just Illustrating the absurd by being absurd...

If it wasn't for the fact that the higher the star ranking, the better of a CHANCE that player has of making it big.

Stars matter......a lot. Clemson is Exhibit A. Penn State will be Exhibit B. They will make the CFP in the next 3-4 years on recruiting alone.

if he's even close to as high as this projection, he should be finishing up his semester this week and pretty much say goodbye to Pitt, his spring classes, the staff and his friends with the university..

if he is projected as a 2nd and 3rd rd, he needs to start looking at agents and not even entertain the idea of coming back to pitt. I think you have him much higher on your draft board than every other person on this planet..

Draft boards are like stars... they mostly work or atleast on %'s they do, but sometimes guys can just play period. Connor, whitehead, maddox, etc. Just saying if you are an effective player at a high level in college football and you have no work ethic issues, off field issues, & you have the size, and you have the skill its hard not to think that. He's battle tested. They're just a lot of measures that he passes imo. I probably do have him higher then most people, but Artie was on top of the planet.....

If it wasn't for the fact that the higher the star ranking, the better of a CHANCE that player has of making it big.

Stars matter......a lot. Clemson is Exhibit A. Penn State will be Exhibit B. They will make the CFP in the next 3-4 years on recruiting alone.

I hate this argument that constantly comes up about stars, diamonds blah blah. But this post is on it....you recruit a lot of 4-5 stars over time they as a group or multiple groups pan out BIGTIME. Everyone else in college is fighting for 3 stars with upside so they can win 8/9/10 games a few years in a row and start to get 4/5 star kids to be in UGA/Clemson/Bama 4th place playoff "hunt".

Or dramatically under estimating them like Maddox, Pitts, etc.

Spencer went in the 2nd round because he was a legit 6', had long arms and ran a sub 4.5 at Pitt's pro day. If Dane matches all of that, then he will go in the 1st 100 or so picks.

Dane Jackson reminds me a little of Shawntae Spencer. Solid but not spectacular and ended up being 2nd Round pick. I think he needs to come back to be more dominant. I think his stock can rise and he plays a lower injury position. If he's guaranteed 3rd Round, go. If not, stay.

French? He has done very little in the passing game. Not all his fault obviously but he won't be drafted. He would be crazy to go. Needs to learn how to be a WR

Again, nobody says it doesn’t. Nobody.... The point is this...pay attention.... when a low rated player is offered, we tend to trash the kid before he even completes. Yeah, I’m not thrilled when we get players that have 2 stars and no P5 offers, but you have to wait and trust the staff. Not all of these kind of kids develop, but let’s take a look before we condemn them...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT