ADVERTISEMENT

Ffrench and Dane Jackson

Again, nobody says it doesn’t. Nobody.... The point is this...pay attention.... when a low rated player is offered, we tend to trash the kid before he even completes. Yeah, I’m not thrilled when we get players that have 2 stars and no P5 offers, but you have to wait and trust the staff. Not all of these kind of kids develop, but let’s take a look before we condemn them...
Why in the world should we trust this Staff? What have they achieved to warrant that? Win the Worst Division in NCAA Football with a 7-6 record?

You can Have blind Faith in Narduzzi, but I let the results speak for themselves.. What were the Scores of the PSU/UCF Games? How did we look vs Miami/Clemson??

college production doesn't always translate to where you get drafted, it all comes down to how they test, if Jackson blows it away at the combine and his private workout he will get drafted,he has all the tools to be a good corner, he just lacked coaching for most of his college career

Why in the world should we trust this Staff? What have they achieved to warrant that? Win the Worst Division in NCAA Football with a 7-6 record?

You can Have blind Faith in Narduzzi, but I let the results speak for themselves.. What were the Scores of the PSU/UCF Games? How did we look vs Miami/Clemson??

Is that talent, or coaching scheme? I think it’s the latter...

Here are the 2 Star players according to Rivals that Narduzzi has brought in since he took over:

2015:
Ben Dinucci - bust
Gentry Ivery - bust
Allen Edwards - Starter
Rafael Araujo-Lopes - Starter

2016:
Rashad Weaver - Starter
Patrick Jones- Will start next year
Elias Reynolds - Will start next year

2017:
Owen Drexel - Will start next year

Weaver, Jones and Reynolds are really good players. Pinnock who is a low 3 star player is really good as well.

Not a bad track record. Even if Pitt brought in a slew of 4-5 star players, guys like Weaver, Jones, Reynolds, Pinnock, Drexel would all be solid contributors. So yes, I trust them. Some will pan out, others will not.

2018 class had no 2 star players and this year’s class has yet to be determined...

The lack of quality wins, might be blamed on the higher rated players??????

Last edited:
I know Jackson is hoping to leave. It always depends on who they listen to, agents or coaches this time of year. Not sure about Ffrench
If Jackson leaves now, he's a late rounder at best, more likely he goes undrafted unless he blows up the combine with off the charts measurables which I don't see him doing. Ffrench would not be drafted. Either of them would be fools to leave now.

They were honorable mention all-ACC for chrissakes.

I knew what you meant, just echoing the sentiment that if Lee (almost 2 1,000 yard seasons) wasn't ready, I'm not sure how Ffrench has proven himself. Obviously Ffrench has speed that Lee never did, so there is that. Somebody might take a chance on him as a special teams guy that could develop for offense. But I would be shocked if he were drafted.
Ffrench has shown straight line speed and an OK set of hands and very little else. He hasn't shown himself to be able to run all the routes, catch the ball in traffic, high point it, make a back shoulder catch, out-muscle a DB, etc. Part of that is the fault of our offensive scheme and the limitations of our QB as a passer. I mean, did Ffrench ever run anything to the middle of the field? Did any of our receivers?

I like Ffrench as a player, I think he can do a lot more than what he's been able to show so far, and can be a real weapon. Whether he gets the opportunity to do so in this offense is in question.

The only guy here in this thread with any proven record of information is bwh05 and if he says he knows of Jackson considering it, I think you take him at his word...

Personally I don't see how Dane stays....I think he is a 2 or 3 round talent. To me he has been the best CB to play at Pitt since Revis. I know this is a lot of praise, but has the hardest job every night against a ton of talented ACC receivers and he always looks the part. Plus this coach doesn't give him any breaks they press man all night. He has NFL size too. I think about Artie burns and Dane is better than that right now.
Burns was a world class track athlete, one of the fastest guys in the country in H.S. I'm not talking Ffrench or Weah all-state speed, I'm talking about national record breaking, world-class speed.

I like DJ, but does he break 4.5?

Speed translates in the NFL.

I don’t know that the NFL looks at a lot more than measurables on guys that were marginal in college. Maddox, as an example, played okay but wasn’t great in press coverage. But he has NFL size and speed, tested well, made a roster, and is playing.

Is that talent, or coaching scheme? I think it’s the latter...

Here are the 2 Star players according to Rivals that Narduzzi has brought in since he took over:

2015:
Ben Dinucci - bust
Gentry Ivery - bust
Allen Edwards - Starter
Rafael Araujo-Lopes - Starter

2016:
Rashad Weaver - Starter
Patrick Jones- Will start next year
Elias Reynolds - Will start next year

2017:
Owen Drexel - Will start next year

Weaver, Jones and Reynolds are really good players. Pinnock who is a low 3 star player is really good as well.

Not a bad track record. Even if Pitt brought in a slew of 4-5 star players, guys like Weaver, Jones, Reynolds, Pinnock, Drexel would all be solid contributors. So yes, I trust them. Some will pan out, others will not.

2018 class had no 2 star players and this year’s class has yet to be determined...

The lack of quality wins, might be blamed on the higher rated players??????
If you're a starter, but there isn't much competition to be one at your position because of lack of quality depth, so what if you're a starter? If you're getting annihilated by the PSUs, Miamis and UCFs of the world, and struggling to get to 7-8 wins, your starters are clearly not good enough. A few lightly recruited kids working their way into starting roles on your team isn't necessarily a tribute to the coaches' eyes for talent, any more than it is evidence of failure to recruit enough P5 quality players to put 11 of them on the field at the same time.

Of the players you referenced, only Weaver has proven to be a bona fide P5 starter level player. He was a one time Michigan commit with a slew of P5 offers, including PSU. So it isn't like he was some kind of unknown that our brilliant recruiters found.

Reactions: FreshCut
If you're a starter, but there isn't much competition to be one at your position because of lack of quality depth, so what if you're a starter? If you're getting annihilated by the PSUs, Miamis and UCFs of the world, and struggling to get to 7-8 wins, your starters are clearly not good enough. A few lightly recruited kids working their way into starting roles on your team isn't necessarily a tribute to the coaches' eyes for talent, any more than it is evidence of failure to recruit enough P5 quality players to put 11 of them on the field at the same time.

Of the players you referenced, only Weaver has proven to be a bona fide P5 starter level player. He was a one time Michigan commit with a slew of P5 offers, including PSU. So it isn't like he was some kind of unknown that our brilliant recruiters found.

Well there’s the flip side as well. If they’re starting, then who isn’t? What does that say for the higher rated recruits that can’t see the field or get nearly the playing time? Ford? Pine? Brightwell? Coleman? McKee? Warren? Drake? Or for those 4 star players that left because of the lack of playing time? Flowers? Pugh?

Well there’s the flip side as well. If they’re starting, then who isn’t? What does that say for the higher rated recruits that can’t see the field or get nearly the playing time? Ford? Pine? Brightwell? Coleman? McKee? Warren? Drake? Or for those 4 star players that left because of the lack of playing time? Flowers? Pugh?

The inability to get the most from highly sought after talent is an often overlooked problem with the program right now.

I don’t know that the NFL looks at a lot more than measurables on guys that were marginal in college. Maddox, as an example, played okay but wasn’t great in press coverage. But he has NFL size and speed, tested well, made a roster, and is playing.
Maddox is half the size of the average NFL corner. That was the knock on him as a NFL player.

Burns was a world class track athlete, one of the fastest guys in the country in H.S. I'm not talking Ffrench or Weah all-state speed, I'm talking about national record breaking, world-class speed.

I like DJ, but does he break 4.5?

Speed translates in the NFL.

Wasn't Burns' younger brother supposed to run for Pine Richland? Artie was All ACC in the 110 hurdles, but his brother is more of an intermediate 300m hurdles / 400m guy. He ran one of the fastest 300m prep times ever when he was at Northwestern.

I think they will put their best linemen out there. Drexel is capable of moving to guard. They like him a lot.
I said this awhile back. He should be begging for reps at guard. Be a backup center and fight for reps at guard. Hope it works out

We just never have enough of the highly recruited guys on the roster in any given season to even make that comparison.

Seems to me that Bama, Clemson, UGA, Ohio State, Oklahoma, etc do pretty well by stacking those top players like cordwood on their depth charts.

Meanwhile we have 30 years of mediocre to poor results to show for all of the diamonds in the rough our various staffs have unearthed throughout that time. The results speak for themselves.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT