ADVERTISEMENT

Firing Wannstedt

PittHOFs

Scholarship
Oct 25, 2016
Worst move ever and still haunting Pitt! 12-14 years of Wanny would have left Pitt in a much better place talent wise and stability! Boy how dumb that move turned out to be!

Probably give my tickets away for the rest of the year if anyone will even take them at this point!

Worst move ever and still haunting Pitt! 12-14 years of Wanny would have left Pitt in a much better place talent wise and stability! Boy how dumb that move turned out to be!

Probably give my tickets away for the rest of the year if anyone will even take them at this point!
Not easy to argue this point. Impossible to correct.

Wanny left a lot to be desired. I was not against getting rid of him. I was against how they got rid of him and every choice they made since then.

So yes I wish we still had Wanny as I believe we would be in better shape today.

Reactions: H2P-2007
While I believe people have a very cloudy memory about his game day coaching and how the fan base felt after the Cincy debacle and the big losses in 2010, I definitely think it was a mistake canning him when they did. He should have been put on notice for the 2011 season. If he had a mediocre year then it would have been completely justified.

While I believe people have a very cloudy memory about his game day coaching and how the fan base felt after the Cincy debacle and the big losses in 2010, I definitely think it was a mistake canning him when they did. He should have been put on notice for the 2011 season. If he had a mediocre year then it would have been completely justified.

If wanny could have simply managed to win one more game in either 08/09/10, he might still be here. Him winning those games though would mean he’d have to be something he wasn’t...a decent coach.

He had a ton of talent, even in the immediate aftermath of walt (best qb at pitt since Marino) and he squandered it. He definetly has more talent than the rest of the conference, especially from 08-10 when WVU fell back.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
And people wonder why there are threads started about how mediocre at best wanny was in a crappy conference.

When you take out the emotion, and look at the facts, it is exceedingly clear that wannstedt was a turd.

Ok, and how has Pitt Football faired since Wanny’s departure?

Reactions: PittPanthers90
It was a bad move and Nordy should have told Pederson to get the hell out his office when Smiley came in to discuss firing Dave.

Easy schedules in 2011 and 2012, the PSU scandal, moving to the ACC in 2013 and some good players in the state and in Western PA to recruit from all in a three-year window. Pitt couldn't take advantage of it because it showed to be incredibly inept with Steve Peterson calling the shots.

Likely it would’ve been mediocre as Tino never panned out. Idk about how they canned him after 2010 though, from game #1 to game #12 it was pretty clear Tino was not ready as a sophomore. If you’re gonna have a down year and it’s still 7-5 with a sophomore qb, that’s not really that bad. I absolutely would’ve told Wannstedt though it’s 9 wins and a BCS appearance minimum in 2011 if you wanna still be here in 2012.

The proofs in the pudding and the pudding sucks . There's no excuses for PN these are his players , his coaches and his 4th yr . The cupboard is bare and the recruiting class is another bunch of 3* , whomever the next coach is has to start over . Can Heather cut bait after foolishly extending him ? We'll see !
Never should've fired Wanny without a serious upgrade in the bag .

Firing wannstedt is what organizations do.

Only losers long for a loser

Oh how I hated to win 9 games and then 10 the following year. Oh how I hated to have recruiting classes that actually had some good players.

Only freaking Pitt fans. Dude is the best we've had in decades.

Side note - remember when everyone was so afraid that Narduzzi was going to leave for MSU soon. I'll chalk that one up to the same folks that call a guy a loser after he's given you the most wins in 30+ years.

Firing wannstedt is what organizations do.

Only losers long for a loser
Losers ...aka the Pitt Ath Dept do things like fire the only coach to get them 10 in decades,wo the first clue as what to do next....save for hiring Baby Mommy Beater, followed by the Texas Turd.

Smiley’s genius buried a program w at least a pulse....

That’s what losers do.

Did you enjoy playing in Conference USA too?
There's ACC Bb which is something special , however ACC Fb is nothing special ,it's not the SEC . NO excuses not to be reasonably competitive with teams like PSU and UCF .
The move to the ACC was the right thing to do ( $$$$ ) the coaching choices of the AD is the issues .
I'm highly optimistic that Heather got it right with Bb, I see no light at the end of the tunnel with the current Fb situation without a change of direction.

Oh how I hated to win 9 games and then 10 the following year. Oh how I hated to have recruiting classes that actually had some good players.

Only freaking Pitt fans. Dude is the best we've had in decades.

Side note - remember when everyone was so afraid that Narduzzi was going to leave for MSU soon. I'll chalk that one up to the same folks that call a guy a loser after he's given you the most wins in 30+ years.
Fans like you are probably still upset that the Pirates let go of Pedro Alvarez and Jeff Locke

Just because someone with a history of mediocrity has a good season, doesn’t mean that they’re no longer mediocre

I think wanny may have grown into the position, recognizing for example, that you cant recruit a statue like Bostick and expect your offense to kick ass.

He also likely would have hired the right assistants suited for the college game.

Fans like you are probably still upset that the Pirates let go of Pedro Alvarez and Jeff Locke

Just because someone with a history of mediocrity has a good season, doesn’t mean that they’re no longer mediocre
Mediocre sounds pretty good right now !

Ps ... replacing Wanny isn't the issue it's with whom they've hired since . I'd choose that Wanny over everyone they've hire since .

If wanny could have simply managed to win one more game in either 08/09/10, he might still be here. Him winning those games though would mean he’d have to be something he wasn’t...a decent coach.

He had a ton of talent, even in the immediate aftermath of walt (best qb at pitt since Marino) and he squandered it. He definetly has more talent than the rest of the conference, especially from 08-10 when WVU fell back.
DW wasn't a great coach but his game day coaching wasn't as bad as many make it sound on here. He did recruit a ton of talent at Pitt. His team that went 9-4 had 11 starters that were drafted in the NFl. How many kids will be drafted on this Pitt team? Wanny's biggest failing was he couldn't get a QB to save his life. With average QB play your simply not winning more than 9 or 10 games in modern football. Put palko or a QB the caliber of Peterman and those two teams finish with 11 or 12 wins and DW might still be coaching. Modern college football is about recruiting, recruiting recruiting and finding a stud at QB. Do that and your going to win a ton of games. Franklin, Stoops and even DW are proof of that. I dont think any of the 3 are the quality of a urban meyer but they all recruited lights out.

The proofs in the pudding and the pudding sucks . There's no excuses for PN these are his players , his coaches and his 4th yr . The cupboard is bare and the recruiting class is another bunch of 3* , whomever the next coach is has to start over . Can Heather cut bait after foolishly extending him ? We'll see !
Never should've fired Wanny without a serious upgrade in the bag .
To be completely fair I don't think SP ever really intended to fire DW, at least not at first. He demanded DW make changes to his staff, story I heard is SP wanted DW to change the style of the offense to a spread attack(really not a bad idea when you think about it) DW told SP to pound sand it was his team and he was keeping the same coaches. SP was then backed into a corner fire DW or lose control the program. Nordy sided with steve. The rest is history. I think SP thought initially that DW would cave to his demands and there was no backup plan.

Did you enjoy playing in Conference USA too?
I don't follow this line of thought. Sure DW played in a weak conference but he also had to recruit with that hanging around his neck as well. In the ACC DW would have likely gotten better players, which would counter act the harder schedule(its not that much tougher really)

I don't follow this line of thought. Sure DW played in a weak conference but he also had to recruit with that hanging around his neck as well. In the ACC DW would have likely gotten better players, which would counter act the harder schedule(its not that much tougher really)
Yet could only finish in third place at his peak in a 8 team league

Reactions: lilspainishflea
To be completely fair I don't think SP ever really intended to fire DW, at least not at first. He demanded DW make changes to his staff, story I heard is SP wanted DW to change the style of the offense to a spread attack(really not a bad idea when you think about it) DW told SP to pound sand it was his team and he was keeping the same coaches. SP was then backed into a corner fire DW or lose control the program. Nordy sided with steve. The rest is history. I think SP thought initially that DW would cave to his demands and there was no backup plan.
I could see things ending similarly with Narduzzi. He is stubborn like Wanny.

Reactions: caleco's
Yet could only finish in third place at his peak in a 8 team league
Because he couldn't recruit a QB to save his life. I guess I am not saying they should have kept DW just that I wish for Pitt's sake that DW would have landed a good QB. I really believe that's the big thing that kept DW from being a big winner here. Its the closest we have come since Gottfried. They had the talent everywhere else but you just can't win 11 or 12 games with bill stull as your QB no matter how good the coach is. NO coach is perfect they all make boneheaded decisions, but if you recruit a talented roster with a good QB you will win even with the boneheaded mistakes. DW did everything except the QB part.

Because he couldn't recruit a QB to save his life. I guess I am not saying they should have kept DW just that I wish for Pitt's sake that DW would have landed a good QB. I really believe that's the big thing that kept DW from being a big winner here. Its the closest we have come since Gottfried. They had the talent everywhere else but you just can't win 11 or 12 games with bill stull as your QB no matter how good the coach is. NO coach is perfect they all make boneheaded decisions, but if you recruit a talented roster with a good QB you will win even with the boneheaded mistakes. DW did everything except the QB part.

Spot on

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT