ADVERTISEMENT

First Pitt portal follow up

The NCAA states that there is a recruiting dead period — a period in which recruits cannot interact in-person with a college coaching staff — from March 30 to April 6. After that date, look for Austin to take a trip to Oakland.

Reactions: Drew1208

Reactions: gary2
I like his size. Not sure how much of a team player he would be with all the show me dunks. Plays defense. Negative assist to turnover ratio. Was at high point. Born in ACC country. Bama also interested. Worth the risk, probably.

I like his size. Not sure how much of a team player he would be with all the show me dunks. Plays defense. Negative assist to turnover ratio. Was at high point. Born in ACC country. Bama also interested. Worth the risk, probably.

Don't understand this one. Averaged 14 and shot only 33% from 3 at the low major level. This seems like the level of transfer we could have gotten when we had less to sell. Put Santos or Jeffress in the Big South and they'd put up similar numbers. Need to shoot higher.

Reactions: RoguePanther
Don't understand this one. Averaged 14 and shot only 33% from 3 at the low major level. This seems like the level of transfer we could have gotten when we had less to sell. Put Santos or Jeffress in the Big South and they'd put up similar numbers. Need to shoot higher.
If you just looked at that 3 % in a vacuum and didn't look at everything else then maybe you'd have something there.
His numbers suggest he can be much more efficient and has potential for growth.

Reactions: PittPoker and gary2

He's been contacted already by schools like Alabama, Michigan State, Florida State, etc. for starters. So this is far from a slam dunk recruit that is headed to Pitt.

Second, he is quite athletic which means his upside is far higher on the big scale of things with proper development. And our team is in desperate need for some athletes.

Third, his numbers are well rounded. He is providing good block numbers, steal numbers, assist numbers, and is a good free throw shooter at 79%. His ORTG offensive power rating was 109 last year and he has 3 years left to play.

His rebound numbers for a wing are just fine. For an undersized PF, they are a bit low. He made 62 three balls, which is respectable even with converting 33%. With development, you might have a player like this turn into Audiese Toney which would be a very good thing as long as he is a good teammate.

Also, his numbers were a bit down last year because of foul problems. He only played 29 minutes per game and numerous times he sat because of foul issues. He did average just under 17 points per game his last 13 games of the season.

You can see his athletic ability below.

They will use him like Sibande. Santos and Jeffress aren't comparable players.

They will use him like Sibande. Santos and Jeffress aren't comparable players.

In terms of the numbers, a Sibande replacement was also my first though. It does look like Austin plays with more natural reach than Sibande.

Last edited:
I saw him in person this year against ECU. I think the 3 pt % is misleading because their philosophy was to get up the floor and shoot as many 3s quickly as possible. They took bad shots, shot 2-25 from 3 against us and I remember wondering what the heck they were doing on offense. Put better players around him and if he takes better shots then it will improve

He's been contacted already by schools like Alabama, Michigan State, Florida State, etc. for starters. So this is far from a slam dunk recruit that is headed to Pitt.

Second, he is quite athletic which means his upside is far higher on the big scale of things with proper development. And our team is in desperate need for some athletes.

Third, his numbers are well rounded. He is providing good block numbers, steal numbers, assist numbers, and is a good free throw shooter at 79%. His ORTG offensive power rating was 109 last year and he has 3 years left to play.

His rebound numbers for a wing are just fine. For an undersized PF, they are a bit low. He made 62 three balls, which is respectable even with converting 33%. With development, you might have a player like this turn into Audiese Toney which would be a very good thing as long as he is a good teammate.

Also, his numbers were a bit down last year because of foul problems. He only played 29 minutes per game and numerous times he sat because of foul issues. He did average just under 17 points per game his last 13 games of the season.

You can see his athletic ability below.

He plays bigger than 6’7” and Is athletic as heck. Take.

There's a whole lot of mansplaining in this thread...😆

Dummy Feeling Dumb GIF

Reactions: 724crew
How many spots do we have open? I think we were at 13 with Fisch, right? So Burton, Fisch, Cummings, Hugley, Sibande, Elliot out and three in for a total of three open?

How many spots do we have open? I think we were at 13 with Fisch, right? So Burton, Fisch, Cummings, Hugley, Sibande, Elliot out and three in for a total of three open?

Yes. I would guess Marlon Barnes asks out of his LOI due to the Hugley fallout and his stock really dropped anyway. Not sure he can contribute here for a few years. It appears Santos is coming back after hearing Capel mention him as a returnee in a recent interview

Yes. I would guess Marlon Barnes asks out of his LOI due to the Hugley fallout and his stock really dropped anyway. Not sure he can contribute here for a few years. It appears Santos is coming back after hearing Capel mention him as a returnee in a recent interview

Not sure how I feel about bringing both Santos and Jeffres back when you're basically bringing in a 4-freshmen (including Dior Johnson) class.

It seems like Santos has some tools but should drop down to gain some confidence. Then again, I think he only has two years left, right? Might be too late to do that if he ever has intentions of playing in the P6 again.

Not sure how I feel about bringing both Santos and Jeffres back when you're basically bringing in a 4-freshmen (including Dior Johnson) class.

It seems like Santos has some tools but should drop down to gain some confidence. Then again, I think he only has two years left, right? Might be too late to do that if he ever has intentions of playing in the P6 again.

I agree. I dont like running guys off but with so many good transfers available, there really isnt room for both of them. You need as much roster flexibility as possible. Maybe Santos redshirts?

Maybe Santos makes the soph to jr leap, but if he is a good team first player who is ok with a bench role of 5 mins a game, then I don’t mind him staying. He has maturity and maybe he likes Pitt and wants to have fun with the guys he know. Are we really going to get 13 starters? Right now:

Dior
Hinson
Fede
GDG
Lowe

Bench
JGD
Carrington
Jeffress
Santos

Last edited:
Didn’t he already come out and say he was 100% committed even with Hugley leaving?

You would guess that based on....nothing.

Reactions: ECUPittfan
He plays bigger than 6’7” and Is athletic as heck. Take.
Big missing piece this season was perimeter length and athleticism on the defensive end. This guy looks like the kind of long, athletic swiss army knife kind of player that would fit what Capel is doing perfectly.

Reactions: pittbb80
Need a guide for this stuff now.

I like the guys who they are going after. I’m optimistic that next years team will be as fun to watch as this years. May not have the same level of success but will still be very competitive

I like the guys who they are going after. I’m optimistic that next years team will be as fun to watch as this years. May not have the same level of success but will still be very competitive
I mean if Dior is as good as advertised and they get anything from Lowe and CC, baring injuries they can be good. Tourney success is hard, but should have slightly more depth with more experience. That’s why I don’t mind keeping a Santos versus bringing in another bench warmer not familiar with the system. If Jeffress and Santos are 12/13 on depth chart, they will do well.

I mean if Dior is as good as advertised and they get anything from Lowe and CC, baring injuries they can be good. Tourney success is hard, but should have slightly more depth with more experience. That’s why I don’t mind keeping a Santos versus bringing in another bench warmer not familiar with the system. If Jeffress and Santos are 12/13 on depth chart, they will do well.
Calll me crazy but I saw a glimpses of a good player in Santos. I think the kids only issue is confidence. Sometimes that occurs with Maturity. So yeah unless you find a clear upgrade I think it’s good to keep guys like him in the program as long as they work hard and are team players. Santos seems to be that kind of Kid. Jeffress. Seem like a similar situation. The staff seemed legitimacy excited about his progress so I think he’ll stay for sure

Reactions: CbgPanther
Calll me crazy but I saw a glimpses of a good player in Santos. I think the kids only issue is confidence. Sometimes that occurs with Maturity. So yeah unless you find a clear upgrade I think it’s good to keep guys like him in the program as long as they work hard and are team players. Santos seems to be that kind of Kid. Jeffress. Seem like a similar situation. The staff seemed legitimacy excited about his progress so I think he’ll stay for sure
Plus one. He’s the type of player Jamie would continue to develop and he’d emerge as a very valuable contributor by his final season. As you say I would not chase him off unless it was clear there were upgrades committed. That certainly isn’t the case as of yet.

That said he was giving off some really frustrated looks in his body language while on the bench in those last couple weeks, when he wasn’t getting any action. Certainly not a scientific observation of course.

Plus one. He’s the type of player Jamie would continue to develop and he’d emerge as a very valuable contributor by his final season. As you say I would not chase him off unless it was clear there were upgrades committed. That certainly isn’t the case as of yet.

That said he was giving off some really frustrated looks in his body language while on the bench in those last couple weeks, when he wasn’t getting any action. Certainly not a scientific observation of course.
Yeah I noticed the same thing ha

Hell Darth Vader had Santos as the second coming of Reggie Miller as a shooter. It's just that no other programs knew it, only Vader and the keen eye of the Pitt staff did.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT