ADVERTISEMENT

Florida Gulf Coast Game & Other Dribbles ...

I can't get too into basketball until January, but I watched the first half and then drove home and caught half of the second half. To me, Lowe is who held us together in the first half... and I was especially happy because after watching him in the first two games I was questioning if he even belonged at this level (at least yet).

I'm still not in love with the totality of Hinson's game. I think he wastes possessions with ridiculous shots (yes, I know some of them go in) and doesn't play defense way too often.

Other than that... kind of feels like we're missing a wing presence or something. Like we need Austin to be something a little different from what he is; I don't know. I thought that about guard as well last game, but if Lowe continues to progress that would be fantastic. Still a pretty exciting bunch that I imagine will at least be contending for a tournament bid.

Good win, and agree that it's one where in the past we might have lost b/c we didn't shoot it well. No idea if this is a tournament team or not, but the upside is very high. Looking forward to seeing how they progress. Up to 47 in KenPom.

Was hoping twins were a little stronger. There's still a gap at the 5 that got exposed there. Neither helped much on offense which made it seem worse I guess.
The twins look noticeably stronger in the lower body. Last night they were being backed down all the way to the basket, but remained upright. Last year, they would have been knocked on their backside.

Seriously, though, those were a couple of big, strong, physical guys they were facing. We are going to have to double team guys like that in ACC play. Glad to have Jeffress back and playing strong defense.

The twins look noticeably stronger in the lower body. Last night they were being backed down all the way to the basket, but remained upright. Last year, they would have been knocked on their backside.

Seriously, though, those were a couple of big, strong, physical guys they were facing. We are going to have to double team guys like that in ACC play. Glad to have Jeffress back and playing strong defense.
I also think the guys will adjust. Fede played well against Bacot last year, Guillermo played well against Mississippi State’s big. I think these are “first time being challenged this season” issues more than anything more structural.

I'm still not in love with the totality of Hinson's game. I think he wastes possessions with ridiculous shots (yes, I know some of them go in) and doesn't play defense way too often.
The funny thing is, he might actually make a higher percentage of the ridiculous shots as opposed to wide open ones.

Was hoping twins were a little stronger. There's still a gap at the 5 that got exposed there. Neither helped much on offense which made it seem worse I guess.
They clearly are better and stronger than last year. However, they're still
weak in some ways. If either twin and an opposing BIG has their hands on
the ball, you can bet the opposing BIG is gonna rip the ball away. However
they more often than not are both quicker. They easily get posted up, and
a Big like last night can body them and move them down low. We have to
remember how they started here. I like where they are, and how they've
progressed. It's a process, and with both of them it's gonna take time.

The issue with the FT shooting, ultimately, is *who* is shooting them. Fede (25%) and Austin (33%) are the main culprits right now. I'm not concerned with Bub, Blake or Ish. But that's 2/5ths of our starters. If they continue like this, sooner or later, it is going to cost us. And 1 or 2 losses because of that could be the difference between The Big Dance and the NIT. FGCU gave us a preview of what may be to come, also, when they purposely fouled Fede to put him on the line (we were lucky that was ruled a flagrant foul).
Fede made 64.7% of his FTs last season so he should be capable of doing better than he has over the first 3 games.

FGCU played well and gave Pitt a good test which isn’t a bad thing at all . It did expose a weakness inside against a physical player .

Fede and the twins can overwhelm smaller less physical teams with their length , but last night showed a weakness that will be hard to overcome , it’s a shame Kante got hurt .

Last years guards were experienced good college players , but if Lowe’s play improves ( similar to yesterday ) this years group will make everyone forget about them . Bub looks like a superstar in the making and Leggett looks every bit as tough and determined as Burton . ( that’s a huge compliment , Burton was my fav Panther )

If any of JDs team had a player like Bub his success in the tournament wouldn’t be an issue .

Hinson was forcing things last night , once he realizes there’s plenty of offense on this team hopefully he’ll become a little more selective.

Last night also showed the value of Wil , hopefully all his distractors will realize he’s a valuable piece of this team .

Good times ahead for this team ! !
I absolutely love levance, but if that team had a guy like bub they very easily could have won it all.

Reactions: Fsgolfdr
I think the twins will be OK on defense. They have played better.

With Jorge hardly playing, we seemed concerned a bit more about foul trouble. Hopefully Jorge sees his share if time and we worry less.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT