ADVERTISEMENT

Football is terrible

Fk_Pitt

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2007
I thought I’d beat everyone else to the punch and start the first thread about football sucking because a player used gamesmanship, embellished an obvious foul, and a championship game ended on a penalty and a kick.

What a terrible sport 😆

I enjoyed every minute of it.

I thought I’d beat everyone else to the punch and start the first thread about football sucking because a player used gamesmanship, embellished an obvious foul, and a championship game ended on a penalty and a kick.

What a terrible sport 😆

sorry, that does not make soccer less sucky...keep up the good fight (since 1973 in US) trying to convince us otherwise.

What a terrible sport 😆

Hate to see a game like that coming down to a PK.

I didn't think Mahomes flopped and it was a clear late hit. However, I was never a fan of that rule. Players running full speed and touching a guy who stepped out of bounds .01 seconds before you touched him with your pinky finger. These guys are too soft.

sorry, that does not make soccer less sucky...keep up the good fight (since 1973 in US) trying to convince us otherwise.
Haha I knew you’d bite.

Ampipe since 1955.

What a terrible sport 😆

Mahomes didn't embellish anything, dude was playing on one leg, running, got pushed in the back, and Oassi also kind of tripped Mahomes.

I didn't think Mahomes flopped and it was a clear late hit. However, I was never a fan of that rule. Players running full speed and touching a guy who stepped out of bounds .01 seconds before you touched him with your pinky finger. These guys are too soft.
I get that they are running and playing at full speed, but players have adapted. Look at all the tackling and hitting that’s been removed from the game and players have learned and adjusted their games.

You'd have an argument if Mahomes was running parallel to the sidelines and stepped out, he was running directly out of bounds and was almost at the tarp when he was hit.

Mahomes didn't embellish anything, dude was playing on one leg, running, got pushed in the back, and Oassi also kind of tripped Mahomes.

I agree. Thanks for posting. That needs shared on the pay board in the thread where there are all kinds of tears because they think he embellished. When you’re running at full speed, a push like that is going to send you flying just about every time.

Clear penalty.

Reactions: cbpitt2
Mike Hilton's reaction shows he knew it was a penalty.
It might be just me too, but the flag came late. I’m sure the official didn’t want to throw it, thought about it for a couple seconds, but was left with no choice.

It might be just me too, but the flag came late. I’m sure the official didn’t want to throw it, thought about it for a couple seconds, but was left with no choice.
Yep. Seemed like the ref was quickly debating if he should throw it.

What a terrible sport 😆

I was rooting against KC, because I'm sick of the league on their knees slurping Mahomes, even though he is great, but hey he was way, way out of bounds when that stupid Bungle bungled it.

I was rooting against KC, because I'm sick of the league on their knees slurping Mahomes, even though he is great, but hey he was way, way out of bounds when that stupid Bungle bungled it.
Bungels will bungel.

I didn’t know who to root for because I think both franchises will start banking championships with those two QBs.

Reactions: alsporsche
I thought it was the easiest call all day, and one of the dumbest by a defender ever. I don't know what he could have been thinking. No way Mahomes was turning upfield as Hilton was standing there watching the whole thing. Hilton made no attempt to tackle because he was clearly going out of bounds. The only effort Hilton made was to try and stop that bonehead DE.

Bungels will bungel.

I didn’t know who to root for because I think both franchises will start banking championships with those two QBs.
i posted in another thread, afc nfl fans should get used to bengal - chiefs afc championship games, we are gonna see many more over the next decade.

Bungels will bungel.

I'm at the point that I am sick of over positivity, yes Mahomes is great, but it just gets disgusting when every little thing he does is so smart and fabulous. now we have to listen to another whole game of hearing how fantastic and smart a 2-yard run or throwing the ball away is. :)

I thought it was the easiest call all day, and one of the dumbest by a defender ever. I don't know what he could have been thinking. No way Mahomes was turning upfield as Hilton was standing there watching the whole thing. Hilton made no attempt to tackle because he was clearly going out of bounds. The only effort Hilton made was to try and stop that bonehead DE.
Not a single Bengal argued about that call, it was so obvious.

The ref might (but very doubtful) thought it was ok to hold back on that penalty of it had been Pickett or some other unaccomplished QB. But with it being Mahomes, one of (deserved) darlings of the league, plus that the penalty was inflicted by some anonymous gibrone and not a similar superstar such as Garrett or one of the Watts, there was no way in Hades that penalty doesn’t get called.

There are glaring double standards in this and every sport protecting superstars (well, except for Sidney Crosby, who is allowed to be butchered). Players might not like it, but they are fools if they don’t realize it, and adjust their games accordingly.

Bungels will bungel.

I said this to @Zeldas Open Roof on the other board, but I’m not ready to write in the Bengals as perennial AFC Championship Game attendees. I think Burrow is really good but I’m not sure he’s transcendent the way Mahommes is. And unless he goes the Brady route and takes a pay cut, the Bengals have a lot of expensive contracts coming up.

I said this to @Zeldas Open Roof on the other board, but I’m not ready to write in the Bengals as perennial AFC Championship Game attendees. I think Burrow is really good but I’m not sure he’s transcendent the way Mahommes is. And unless he goes the Brady route and takes a pay cut, the Bengals have a lot of expensive contracts coming up.
Hope you’re right. I’m not much of a fan of his. I don’t like his arrogance and how he dresses like beetle juice on game days. And as far as the head coach, all he did was whine to the officials the whole game. I’m starting to not like him too.

Reactions: h2p_5150
nfl and signing your franchise QB is quite a conondrum. Take these two stats in mind:

4 Championship QBs that played yesterday, only one was among the 28 highest paid QBs in the NFL (Mahomes is 9th)..

The 4 higheste nfl QBs are "Rodgers, Wilson, Kyler Murray and Watson." All 4 rosters are a disaster.

so it means that signing your QB to a huge deal could and very well often kills your team and ability to compete.. But the chiefs wouldnt win squat without Mahomes and they'd be fools to let him go. Burrows will be the highest paid player in a year or two, will that help the bengals or hurt them?

The one thing i think i know is if you have a Franchise talent QB under his rookie contract, you have a short window so you better give him every thing he needs while he is making peanuts (like the bengals with higgins, boyd and chase). Because once that qb gets his second contract, you cant afford it (chiefs with Tyreke hill)..

If ravens sign lamar, when the bengals sign burrow, steelers will have a 1-2 year gap where Kenny is under his rookie contract while all 3 afc north teams are straddled paying their qbs with 9 digit contracts.

Reactions: Las Panteras
nfl and signing your franchise QB is quite a conondrum. Take these two stats in mind:

4 Championship QBs that played yesterday, only one was among the 28 highest paid QBs in the NFL (Mahomes is 9th)..

The 4 higheste nfl QBs are "Rodgers, Wilson, Kyler Murray and Watson." All 4 rosters are a disaster.

so it means that signing your QB to a huge deal could and very well often kills your team and ability to compete.. But the chiefs wouldnt win squat without Mahomes and they'd be fools to let him go. Burrows will be the highest paid player in a year or two, will that help the bengals or hurt them?

The one thing i think i know is if you have a Franchise talent QB under his rookie contract, you have a short window so you better give him every thing he needs while he is making peanuts (like the bengals with higgins, boyd and chase). Because once that qb gets his second contract, you cant afford it (chiefs with Tyreke hill)..
Bengals are going to have to shell out a boatload of money for Chase in a couple years too.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof

I increasingly dislike the idea of paying big money to an immobile QB. Even when getting uber-protected by refs (and protection only weirdly happens if the guy is the bigger star of the two; Burrow seemed not to get calls last night he would get if the Bengals were playing a team with a no-star QB). These guys just take too many big hits. Flip side I don’t want my guy to be a Jackson either, basically a running back, but it should be somebody far more mobile than Burrow. I can’t see him having a really long career.

I increasingly dislike the idea of paying big money to an immobile QB. Even when getting uber-protected by refs (and protection only weirdly happens if the guy is the bigger star of the two; Burrow seemed not to get calls last night he would get if the Bengals were playing a team with a no-star QB). These guys just take too many big hits. Flip side I don’t want my guy to be a Jackson either, basically a running back, but it should be somebody far more mobile than Burrow. I can’t see him having a really long career.
kenny falls in that middle category and he got concussed twice this year. I feel like how fast your qb can run has little to do with keeping him healthy.. Guys like RG 3 were out of the league after a cup of coffee.

If you have a bad OL, nfl Defenders will hit you hard and hit you often, no matter what your QB's 40 time is..

One strategy of keeping an immobile qb healthy is what the steelers did with ben last year, make him throw the ball in under 2 seconds. i mean that worked, keeping him healthy anyways. the problem is, it makes any kind of passing plays 100000000% ineffective..

Bengals are going to have to shell out a boatload of money for Chase in a couple years too.
doesnt leave much for them to beef up that OL, does it? Like i said, just really tough to construct a good roster when your qb eats up 35% of the budget..

Kudos to the chiefs for doing it. their WRs and RBs arent exactly huge names

Reactions: Ski11585
kenny falls in that middle category and he got concussed twice this year. I feel like how fast your qb can run has little to do with keeping him healthy.. Guys like RG 3 were out of the league after a cup of coffee.

If you have a bad OL, nfl Defenders will hit you hard and hit you often, no matter what your 40 time is..

One strategy of keeping an immobile qb healthy is what the steelers did with ben last year, make him throw the ball in under 2 seconds. i mean that worked, keeping him healthy anyways. the problem is, it makes any kind of passing plays 100000000% ineffective..
Not so much a running “fast” QB but someone who can almost innately dodge at least some of the killer edge rushers and not absorb constant blindside obliterations with both his feet in cement. Mahomes and those like him are not “running QB” but effective in his ability to allude a lot of direct killer hits (though not always on his ankles…). Burrow isn’t a slug like Slovis but seems less able to do that. Being able to make plays with the feet (while smartly getting out of bounds like Mahomes does, but Jackson does not) is a big element too. I see some big big hits in Burrow ‘s future and they add up. Only freaks like Ben can play forever taking so much abuse, and most teams aren’t going to be as hyper effective protecting their immobile guy like Brady had. Bottom line the point is I don’t want to give huge contracts to such guys.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof

If you have a bad OL, nfl Defenders will hit you hard and hit you often, no matter what your QB's 40 time is..

I’ve been meaning to ask this…did Kenny actually get concussed twice? Or is that just a faulty narrative? I don’t know the answer…but if he were really concussed that 1st time, would he have been out of protocol 2 days later?

Not so much a running “fast” QB but someone who can almost innately dodge at least some of the killer edge rushers and not absorb constant blindside obliterations with both his feet in cement. Mahomes and those like him are not “running QB” but effective in his ability to allude a lot of direct killer hits (though not always on his ankles…). Burrow isn’t a slug like Slovis but seems less able to do that. Being able to make plays with the feet (while smartly getting out of bounds like Mahomes does, but Jackson does not) is a big element too. I see some big big hits in Burrow ‘s future and they add up. Only freaks like Ben can play forever taking so much abuse, and most teams aren’t going to be as hyper effective protecting their immobile guy like Brady had. Bottom line the point is I don’t want to give huge contracts to such guys.
ok, that's your opinion. I just think that if you have an elite passing qb like him, you are gonna be in the playoffs pretty much every year for the next decade..

the injury factor, again, i see all nfl QBs getting killed. Tua is one hit away from being the main character laying in the morgue in the sequel "Concussion 2".

He can move pretty good, it's not helping him avoid those hits. if anything, it's hurting him more..

I’ve been meaning to ask this…did Kenny actually get concussed twice? Or is that just a faulty narrative? I don’t know the answer…but if he were really concussed that 1st time, would he have been out of protocol 2 days later?
it worked for my narrative. no, i dont think so. but i was not allowed into the blue tent on the sidelines so i dont know.

• Haha
Reactions: Fk_Pitt
it worked for my narrative. no, i dont think so. but i was not allowed into the blue tent on the sidelines so i dont know.
It’s not you, we hear it all the time. I just don’t know if it’s accurate. Maybe it is.

KC made Burrow look pretty pedestrian last night. There were some good throws but his guys made better plays on some balls. They got after him and it paid off. Spagnuolo deserves some credit for keeping that game close with KC's depleted offense.

ok, that's your opinion. I just think that if you have an elite passing qb like him, you are gonna be in the playoffs pretty much every year for the next decade..

the injury factor, again, i see all nfl QBs getting killed. Tua is one hit away from being the main character laying in the morgue in the sequel "Concussion 2".

He can move pretty good, it's not helping him avoid those hits. if anything, it's hurting him more..
Yep, it’s my opinion, that’s all. To me, the game has shifted to favor more nimble QBs who can still throw effectively. In most areas, defenses have largely been neutralized, with the exception that edge rushers potentially still have big impacts, which is why they (and shutdown corners) make the biggest bucks on D. I see a largely immobile pocket QB as a disadvantage in this way, because it’s easier to affect such a guy with a big rush. But we will see over the coming seasons…

i posted in another thread, afc nfl fans should get used to bengal - chiefs afc championship games, we are gonna see many more over the next decade.

burrow will need to get a new contract this off-season. will the cheapa### owner pay it? if he does, the bengals can't keep chasse and higgins. or maybe neither. we'll see how long he keeps it up with half the weapons.

burrow will need to get a new contract this off-season. will the cheapa### owner pay it? if he does, the bengals can't keep chasse and higgins. or maybe neither. we'll see how long he keeps it up with half the weapons.
yeah, its tough to have both. chiefs down graded at WRs but it still worked for them. Ju Ju and some other hyphen guy as Wrs as a pretty big drop off from Tyreke.. They got a great pick in that Pacheco guy who they drafted 7th round..

i mean, you go big with QB, you have to find bargains at skill positions and hope it works. Although the chiefs do have Kelce so it's not like you cant have at least one other high profile skill player.

yeah, its tough to have both. chiefs down graded at WRs but it still worked for them. Ju Ju and some other hyphen guy as Wrs as a pretty big drop off from Tyreke.. They got a great pick in that Pacheco guy who they drafted 7th round..

i mean, you go big with QB, you have to find bargains at skill positions and hope it works. Although the chiefs do have Kelce so it's not like you cant have at least one other high profile skill player.

i looked it up. kelce's contract is like $12m this year. which is nothing compared to hill ($30m). higgins is a UFA after this season. he's going to get $20m-ish. then chasse who will be north of $30m.

kelce is older - i'm guessing it's not so much about the money at this point as he seems worth signficantly more than what he's getting.

they'll be drafting in the bottom of the 1st round for awhile. and the immediate need is OL, unless they want burrow to have a short career. so they'll be picking WR's in later rounds. or trying to get free agents but they won't have money for really good ones. burrow is going to have to take the path of brady and make it work with 2nd tier WR's. let's see how he does with a group of chase claypool's.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ

they never said either way.

i looked it up. kelce's contract is like $12m this year. which is nothing compared to hill ($30m). higgins is a UFA after this season. he's going to get $20m-ish. then chasse who will be north of $30m.

kelce is older - i'm guessing it's not so much about the money at this point as he seems worth signficantly more than what he's getting.

they'll be drafting in the bottom of the 1st round for awhile. and the immediate need is OL, unless they want burrow to have a short career. so they'll be picking WR's in later rounds. or trying to get free agents but they won't have money for really good ones. burrow is going to have to take the path of brady and make it work with 2nd tier WR's. let's see how he does with a group of chase claypool's.
Getting a truly great tight end is a huge advantage cap wise. Worked for New England for years. You give Kelce the exact same skillset, statistics, etc but line him up at WR his cap hit is twice as large. But tight ends just never have gotten paid like that.

Reactions: pitt90seven
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT