ADVERTISEMENT

Terrible time to be terrible

CrazyPaco

Athletic Director
Jul 5, 2001
Everyone knew Pitt was likely to take a step back this season with all the personnel losses, but the feeling was different heading into the season. Perhaps, just perhaps, the program was now at the point were it would reload, particularly on defense. Just plug in the next men up and Pitt would continue to be top 25ish competitive the way big boy programs do it. Perception was changing locally and nationally, evidenced by still being picked in the top 3rd of the conference, just outside the national top 25, with ticket sales and buzz climbing locally.

That hope, of course, was dead wrong. More disappointing than anything is in year 9 of this coaching regime, the defense, which is supposed to be the hero of this program, and the side of the ball which the HC admittedly spends the vast majority of his attention, looks lost and is getting shredded by, not good teams, but bad teams.

What is clear is that the program was no where near the point anyone was hoping, and for the first time in a while, it doesn't even seem like there is hope down the road. No one is saying "wait until next year" or the "future looks bright," and that type of defeatism can be a death knell for a program.

Mediocre, at best, recruiting, seems to caught up with Pitt. Most coaches will tell you, its more about the talent than the schemes. If we didn't recruit raw talent, we were supposed to develop it in house. Where is it? Is the alternative that the coaching is just that poor? Perhaps more troubling for year 9 of a regime, there just seems to be poor coaching and fundamentals all around. That is very disconcerting.

And make no mistake, all the coaches and players are professionals now. This is not your father's college football student-athletes. These are straight up professionals. And as other programs have shown, NIL and the transfer portal are tools that can afford fixes much more quickly than ever before.

It is always a lot easier to destroy a program than build one up. Major changes have to be made at the end of this season. Top 25 type of programs don't go from 11 and 9 wins down to 2-10 or 1-11, and that is were this is heading baring some unexpected miracle turnaround.

And with conference realignment swirling around every corner, this is a terrible, terrible, time to be terrible.

To save its recently new found credibility, the athletic department has to show that the type of season we are looking down the barrel of is unacceptable. Accountability is needed. It won't happen in-season...that is not realistic. But after, and again, these are professionals, so don't blow smoke up anyone ass pretending they are not. Staff changes are needed, and the new tools in college football to plug holes have to be used.

Last edited:
Good post. I’ve shared the same thoughts seeing this disaster unfold. If the ACC blows up, does the Big 12 even take us? Are we left in the same boat as Boston College, Syracuse, Wake Forest, and perhaps Duke? Not great.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
Everyone knew Pitt was likely to take a step back this season with all the personnel losses, but the feeling was different heading into the season. Perhaps, just perhaps, the program was now at the point were it would reload, particularly on defense. Just plug in the next men up and Pitt would continue to be top 25ish competitive the way big boy programs do it. Perception was changing locally and nationally, evidenced by still being picked in the top 3rd of the conference, just outside the national top 25, with ticket sales and buzz climbing locally.

That hope, of course, was dead wrong. More disappointing than anything is in year 9 of this coaching regime, the defense, which is supposed to be the hero of this program, and the side of the ball which the HC admittedly spends the vast majority of his attention, looks lost and is getting shredded by, not good teams, but bad teams.

What is clear is that the program was no where near the point anyone was hoping, and for the first time in a while, it doesn't even seem like there is hope down the road. No one is saying "wait until next year" or the "future looks bright," and that type of defeatism can be a death knell for a program.

Mediocre, at best, recruiting, seems to caught up with Pitt. Most coaches will tell you, its more about the talent than the schemes. If we didn't recruit raw talent, we were supposed to develop it in house. Perhaps more troubling for year 9 of a regime, there just seems to be poor coaching and fundamentals all around. That is very disconcerting.

And make no mistake, all the coaches and players are professionals now. This is not your father's college football student-athletes. These are straight up professionals. And as other programs have shown, NIL and the transfer portal are tools that can afford fixes much more quickly than ever before.

It is always a lot easier to destroy a program than build one up. Major changes have to be made at the end of this season. Top 25 type of programs don't go from 10 and 9 wins down to 2-10 or 1-11, and that is were this is heading baring some unexpected miracle turnaround.

And with conference realignment swirling around every corner, this is a terrible, terrible, time to be terrible.

To save its recently new found credibility, the athletic department has to show that the type of season we are looking down the barrel of is unacceptable. Accountability is needed. It won't happen in-season...that is not realistic. But after. Again, these are professionals, so don't blow smoke up anyone ass pretending they are not. Staff changes are needed, and the new tools in college football to plug holes have to be used.
Do you believe Narduzzi should continue to lead this program?

Your answer will say everything about your credibility on this subject.

Simply blaming the staff that the head coach has personally assembled and the personnel that the head coach is responsible for assembling is weak sauce.

The buck starts and stops with the head coach in every program.

Paco, you're spot on about this Pitt team. These are professionals now, they are NOT student-athletes. Many are getting paid very good money to perform and they aren't performing. I'm sick and tired of hearing the blah blah blah from Narduzzi. He can't coach and his teams can't play. The total lack of discipline, preparation and talent on this team is beyond concerning now.

It's time for wholesale changes to be made to the staff and with the players. Pull scholarships and try recruiting some talent. Get rid of most of the coaching staff and replace with real coaches. Then give Narduzzi ONE more year to get at least 9 wins or he's gone too. He's supposed to be a defensive coach. This team is totally lacking in defensive talent. We get burned for 38 points against a bad VT team. That's plain unacceptable.

Simply blaming the staff that the head coach has personally assembled and the personnel that the head coach is responsible for assembling is weak sauce.

Yup. He hired the assistants. He’s a lot like Tomlin in that both have hired awful assistants.

I couldn't give a flying f* about what you think about my credibility.

Narduzzi is not going to be fired after this season with 7 years left on his contract unless he gets himself into hot water. That's the reality. If he doesn't make changes, he's going to be fired in the future though.

This staff doesn’t know how to coach talent period! Prime example is Barth a stud TE very rarely used.

If this team doesn’t win more than 4 games, Narduzzi will be fired regardless of buy out.

Paco, you're spot on about this Pitt team. These are professionals now, they are NOT student-athletes. Many are getting paid very good money to perform and they aren't performing. I'm sick and tired of hearing the blah blah blah from Narduzzi. He can't coach and his teams can't play. The total lack of discipline, preparation and talent on this team is beyond concerning now.

It's time for wholesale changes to be made to the staff and with the players. Pull scholarships and try recruiting some talent. Get rid of most of the coaching staff and replace with real coaches. Then give Narduzzi ONE more year to get at least 9 wins or he's gone too. He's supposed to be a defensive coach. This team is totally lacking in defensive talent. We get burned for 38 points against a bad VT team. That's plain unacceptable.

I think this is the only way he can come back. Fire Cignetti, Salem, Borbley, etc. Cut 20-30 players and give it one last shot, hoping to luck out in the portal. He cant roll with this roster next year. They are bad at football.

Narduzzi is not going to be fired after this season with 7 years left on his contract unless he gets himself into hot water. That's the reality. If he doesn't make changes, he's going to be fired in the future though.

Heather needs to deploy a hot intern then.

Yes, but there must be a come to Jesus with Heather where an enema is applied to the whole offensive coaching staff. Cignetti, Boberly, Powell, Underwood. All gone. Salem stays since he is the only one with a pulse (besides Partridge) on recruiting trail.

Usually this is just window dressing as staff overhauls are like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. But he deserves the chance to get it right given he is the only coach in the past 40 years to win anything of meaning.

And I couldn’t give a flying F whether you care or not. The practical reality may very well dictate that Duzzi is back. But that certainly isn’t the same thing as saying he deserves to be. I’m

If Pitt doesn't win another game the rest of the year, and that is the most likely outcome, Narduzzi will still have another year to turn this around. But he'll have to do it very quickly, as in get to a minimum of 9 wins next year. With no talent on this team and no incoming talent, I don't see that happening. And with these guys getting paid as professionals now, I don't want to hear any flimsy excuses about student-athletes (they don't exist) or it takes time to turn it around (he's already had the time).

Poop or get off the pot. Narduzzi has had his chances. He gets one more next year, then if he doesn't get the 9 wins, he's gone. Meanwhile, he better fire his entire staff and replace them with quality coaches before next year.

Reactions: 303vND
If Pitt doesn't win another game the rest of the year, and that is the most likely outcome, Narduzzi will still have another year to turn this around. But he'll have to do it very quickly, as in get to a minimum of 9 wins next year. With no talent on this team and no incoming talent, I don't see that happening. And with these guys getting paid as professionals now, I don't want to hear any flimsy excuses about student-athletes (they don't exist) or it takes time to turn it around (he's already had the time).

Poop or get off the pot. Narduzzi has had his chances. He gets one more next year, then if he doesn't get the 9 wins, he's gone. Meanwhile, he better fire his entire staff and replace them with quality coaches before next year.

too much bad/lazy recruiting. Not getting better receivers in the portal (i.e. Cephas) was a big red flag. Coach em up only goes so far...

I think this is the only way he can come back. Fire Cignetti, Salem, Borbley, etc. Cut 20-30 players and give it one last shot, hoping to luck out in the portal. He cant roll with this roster next year. They are bad at football.
Sure. Fire everyone in year 10 and start from scratch. That should work really well.

Worked great for Scott Frost.

This staff doesn’t know how to coach talent period! Prime example is Barth a stud TE very rarely used.

If this team doesn’t win more than 4 games, Narduzzi will be fired regardless of buy out.
Fair question though

Do we know how much Barth is supposed to be used?

This QB isn’t making basic decisions… so how do we know what is supposed to be happening?

Reactions: dirge999
And I couldn’t give a flying F whether you care or not. The practical reality may very well dictate that Duzzi is back. But that certainly isn’t the same thing as saying he deserves to be. I’m

Pat Narduzzi is a good man. An honorable man. Maybe he will agree to do the right thing and maybe agree to a lower buyout figure and he can make up the difference coordinating defenses. He must know he royally effed up and he must know how hard its going to be fix.

Pat Narduzzi is a good man. An honorable man. Maybe he will agree to do the right thing and maybe agree to a lower buyout figure and he can make up the difference coordinating defenses. He must know he royally effed up and he must know how hard its going to be fix.
You’ve posted some really crazy $hit over years.

This is up there with the craziest of it

Sure. Fire everyone in year 10 and start from scratch. That should work really well.

Worked great for Scott Frost.

I agree, but we aren't LSU or Auburn that pull the plug at the first sign of trouble. Staff overhaul worked for Kelly after a crap season at ND. Franklin shook things up after some bad season. It can happen but odds are against it. He deserves the chance to try it first before moving on.

firing the head coach and his staff is the better way to go.

Yes but we are likely not going to fire him with 7 years left. So would you rather have Narduzzi plus a new staff and new players or Narduzzi with the same staff and same terrible players

Anyone who thought Pitt would just reload was not paying attention to recruiting rankings and just forgot about how much Pitt actually invests in football.

I'll give you recruiting rankings but it isn't like Narduzzi is paid peanuts and gone are the days when Wannstedt had to pay for new carpeting in the coaches offices out of his own pocket.

Anyone who thought Pitt would just reload was not paying attention to recruiting rankings and just forgot about how much Pitt actually invests in football.

but I will say about "investing in football", if they made winning a priority, there is no way they would have an OOC schedule every year that always ranks as the most difficult in P5. Absolutely no one does that who wants to win, Inexcusable.

Unless Narduzzi for some reason gets selected by MSU, he will need to fire Cignetti and clean house on the offense side. The OC stinks. The OL stinks. The WRs stinks. Too many stupid mistakes, players being in the wrong spot, stupid penalties, SHOULD show any rational.pwrson that the offensive coaches need to be replaced.

Pitt needs to pay for solid coaches on the offense side and needs to increase the recruiting budget. The OC should be out the recruiting. Sounds like that was something Whipple was ok with riding. Does Cignetti see himself as above it all?

Mediocre, at best, recruiting, seems to caught up with Pitt. Most coaches will tell you, its more about the talent than the schemes. If we didn't recruit raw talent, we were supposed to develop it in house. Where is it? Is the alternative that the coaching is just that poor? Perhaps more troubling for year 9 of a regime, there just seems to be poor coaching and fundamentals all around. That is very disconcerting.

It is always a lot easier to destroy a program than build one up. Major changes have to be made at the end of this season. Top 25 type of programs don't go from 11 and 9 wins down to 2-10 or 1-11, and that is were this is heading baring some unexpected miracle turnaround.

To save its recently new found credibility, the athletic department has to show that the type of season we are looking down the barrel of is unacceptable. Accountability is needed. It won't happen in-season...that is not realistic. But after, and again, these are professionals, so don't blow smoke up anyone ass pretending they are not. Staff changes are needed, and the new tools in college football to plug holes have to be used.
Well said. I will piggyback on some of your thoughts:

*Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. So, changes need to be made…. But that won’t happen…. Jurkovec will start next game, Cignetti will call the same plays, 5th & 6th year seniors will still be starting (Temple, Jules, Brima) because they give us the best chance of winning … Winning what?

*The season is OVER. Time to play as many younger players as possible. Temple, Brima, Jules, Jurkovec, and any other player that is not going to be part of the future with Pitt need to take a seat.

*I am the eternal optimist, but Pitt is in a tough situation. Narduzzi is NOT going anywhere, like it or not. Heather may be destined for bigger and better things in the very near future. In addition, the chancellor’s support of athletics is still questionable. Worse yet, conference realignment is casting a dark shadow over the entire athletics program. Not good.

*As Paco said changes need to be made…In my opinion what needs to be done is twofold. First the alumni must make it known that they’re not happy with what they’ve seen so far this season. Talking among themselves about the situation will not be enough. Secondly, Heather must discuss the current state of the program and make “suggestions” on some changes. If those two things are not done immediately, then Narduzzi will continue to rely on “watching the tape” excuse whenever a tough question is asked. If changes aren’t made, then a change in coaches needs to be strongly considered.

*I appreciate what Narduzzi has done over the last two years. But as CrazyPaco said “Now is a terrible time to be terrible” It’s time to realize that Narduzzi’s success in 2021 is due solely for two reasons: Whipple & Pickett. Even when we were winning games, the defense at times gave up too many yards and too many points. Last season we lost two winnable games (GT and Louisville) and should have had back-to-back 11-win seasons.

*I listened to the last 6 minutes of the game on the radio. Bostick was just as befuddled as the rest of us. He absolutely didn’t understand why the Pitt offense lacked urgency. Why they didn’t use the hurry up offense. Why it was taking so long to get a play off. He was totally mystified. I’m convinced that Cignetti will be history at season’s end.

Last edited:

If he gets to 7 wins next year, he will save his job for at least another season. Pitt isn't buying out 5 or 6 years of a contract unless some big boosters get involved with some big time money so don't hold your breath. He's likely at Pitt 2-3 more years barring back-to-back sub .500 catastrophes or Pitt Jamie Dixoning him to some other school.

Unless Narduzzi for some reason gets selected by MSU, he will need to fire Cignetti and clean house on the offense side. The OC stinks. The OL stinks. The WRs stinks. Too many stupid mistakes, players being in the wrong spot, stupid penalties, SHOULD show any rational.pwrson that the offensive coaches need to be replaced.

Pitt needs to pay for solid coaches on the offense side and needs to increase the recruiting budget. The OC should be out the recruiting. Sounds like that was something Whipple was ok with riding. Does Cignetti see himself as above it all?
The only that truly matters for a college coach is recruiting, great players make average coaches a shit load of money.

Seriously, what changes can be foreseen?

Fire the OC? He’ll just hire someone similar. He’ll wear Lyke down on that. It’ll stretch uncomfortably for weeks, recruiting will screech to a dead halt, and she’ll eventually give in and let him hire the hack he wants.

As for the bad defense, HE’S the de facto DC, so same situation as the above; can she really force him to do anything meaningful? Ok maybe hire a new “DC”. Sure. So what? He’s superfluous. Duz will continue on with his same tired predictable scheme no matter what. Again he will just give her lip service. And she will have to accept it.

Because, bottom line, she extended him to a huge deal just a couple years ago. Pitt ain’t serious enough about it to eat the deal (yeah, Stallings, but he was a total clown and an exception).

He can’t be fired. He knows it and she knows it. So he’ll get his way and we’ll go 3-9 regularly, the way things are now.

Until the conference disintegrates and Pitt goes to B level football (or drops it entirely). Which we all know is the ultimate destination; when, not if.

If he gets to 7 wins next year, he will save his job for at least another season. Pitt isn't buying out 5 or 6 years of a contract unless some big boosters get involved with some big time money so don't hold your breath. He's likely at Pitt 2-3 more years barring back-to-back sub .500 catastrophes or Pitt Jamie Dixoning him to some other school.

I don't think MSU is as far-fetched as many people think.. Too much crap there lately and they may be like Wisky and look for the "safe" or "stable" hire for a few years. Heck they hired Tucker who didn't have that much better of a resume.

And not buying him out is why Pitt football isn't a perennial top 25 team.

Reactions: 303vND and bdur76
I don't think MSU is as far-fetched as many people think.. Too much crap there lately and they may be like Wisky and look for the "safe" or "stable" hire for a few years. Heck they hired Tucker who didn't have that much better of a resume.
MSU is funded by a bunch mega donors who are not going to be excited by PN

Reactions: bdur76
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT