ADVERTISEMENT

Football Recruiting at Duke For 2019

poconopanther

Redshirt
Jul 5, 2001
I know Loi is eight months away from the initial period but what is up with a Duke. It will change but right now rivals has them in top fifteen with seven verbals including two 6-4 receivers one of which is a four star . Why the momentum coming off a six win regular season. As of today the ACC has 56 commits with Miami leading the way with 11 putting them near th top of the rankings.To date the only teams without verbals are Pitt and Syracuse. We never do well in this period but I do expect a few verbals coming soon possibly from the Detroit area or perhaps a Qb verbal. Spin it any way you want but the new landscape of college football is to get them early because the retention rates to loi day are pretty good.

I know Loi is eight months away from the initial period but what is up with a Duke. It will change but right now rivals has them in top fifteen with seven verbals including two 6-4 receivers one of which is a four star . Why the momentum coming off a six win regular season. As of today the ACC has 56 commits with Miami leading the way with 11 putting them near th top of the rankings.To date the only teams without verbals are Pitt and Syracuse. We never do well in this period but I do expect a few verbals coming soon possibly from the Detroit area or perhaps a Qb verbal. Spin it any way you want but the new landscape of college football is to get them early because the retention rates to loi day are pretty good.

There's already a "I'm not freaking out about recruiting, but I am freaking about recruiting" thread above.

Reactions: upitt33
Duke won't even finished ranked in the top 30 for recruiting. They have one 4 star player from NC committed who didn't have any upper echelon offers. With that said, Cutcliffe has turned the Duke program around from perennial bottom feeder, to respectable and their recruiting has started to reflect that. Duke is now at a similar level as Pitt in the college football world.

Reactions: bobfree
There's already a "I'm not freaking out about recruiting, but I am freaking about recruiting" thread above.

Translation:

Me and the other super babies can’t handle a discussion about football related topics and would rather engage in a circle jerk.

Every thread should be. “We are awesome!” And the only comments should be plus 1!

Duke always gets a high number of early recruits. I'm pretty sure it has more to do with Duke the University than Duke the football program.

Translation:

Me and the other super babies can’t handle a discussion about football related topics and would rather engage in a circle jerk.

Every thread should be. “We are awesome!” And the only comments should be plus 1!

I thought you said you weren't freaking out?

It sounds like you're freaking out. :eek:

Reactions: PITT92DOG
Translation:

Bob,

I don't have any problem with the subject matter about recruiting. I don't happen to believe it's as bad as you think, but so be it...

But here's the problem... Pitt fans get bombarded with constant negativity from the media and trolls concerning everything Pitt. In a lot of cases, it's unfounded.

Case in point: The hiring of a new men's basketball coach.... For weeks Pitt and especially Heather Lyke were unfairly ravaged by the stooges in the media. Even fellow Pitt supporters (Mike Vukovcan) got in on the act. We were subjected to knee jerk posts calling the process as a disaster. But nobody had any info to back it up.

In the end we got the right coach. All that did was cause needless anxiety.

So some of your fellow posters may be a little sensitive to more criticism on what is supposed a sanctuary for Pitt fans to post positive vibes about what's going on.

Now saying all that, there is nothing wrong with getting into discussions on how to improve Pitt athletics, including recruiting...

The End

Translation:

A lot of these Pitt fans are the same types of people who would have been PSU "truthers." PSU can do no wrong to them but since they are Pitt fans, they are just as devout.....and blind. Anything that isn't 100% positve about Pitt is a personal attack on them

Reactions: Jpripper88

First of all--Duke is up there due mostly to the total number of recruits committed this early. It has little to do with the overall quality of their recruits or to the ultimate relative rating of their class once every school (especially those with zero or very low numbers at this point in time) are pushing up their commit numbers to near their maximum class size (in the 20-25 commit range, most typically). Check back in December for more meaningful comparisons and after the second LOI day for the best and final results.

Pitt not having any commits this early says little or nothing about how this class will ultimately turn out. For perspective here is some Pitt class history on commit dates:

2017--First commit on May 10
2016--Two commits in March; 3rd commit not until June.
2015--One super early commit in January; commit #2 not until June.
2014--First commit on April 30; Second commit in June.
2013--One commit in March, two in April, third not until May.

So, there is absolutely no need for hand-wringing or comparing us to Duke on April 11/12. it is meaningless to infer anything about Pitt recruiting, especially as regards to comparing us to Duke so early in the year.

Last edited:
The past couple of classes, Duke has had some pretty good legacy kids in their classes which has helped. Of course, Pitt has actually had legacy kids as well but for some reason, this staff has had almost zero success with legacy kids. That's been an even bigger problem for them than local recruiting.

First of all--Duke is up there due mostly to the total number of recruits committed this early. It has little to do with the overall quality of their recruits or to the ultimate relative rating of their class once every school (especially those with zero or very low numbers at this point in time) are pushing up their commit numbers to near their maximum class size (in the 20-25 commit range, most typically). Check back in December for more meaningful comparisons and after the second LOI day for the best and final results.

I agree that Duke's class is quantity rather than quality. But the average recruit ranking right now is a .8785 in the Composite. That's not "elite," but most on this board would be carrying out animal sacrifices for that average recruit ranking.

The past couple of classes, Duke has had some pretty good legacy kids in their classes which has helped. Of course, Pitt has actually had legacy kids as well but for some reason, this staff has had almost zero success with legacy kids. That's been an even bigger problem for them than local recruiting.
It isn’t just this staff that has had issues with legacy recruits. This staff did not recruit Apke or Ricketts.

A lot of these Pitt fans are the same types of people who would have been PSU "truthers." PSU can do no wrong to them but since they are Pitt fans, they are just as devout.....and blind. Anything that isn't 100% positve about Pitt is a personal attack on them
This is correct. They are the EXACT same people. ncpittfan, Gary77, etc. are EXACTLY the same as the "JoeBots" they made/make fun of. They have absolutely no opinions of their own and will toe the company line even as it sends them off a cliff.

Reactions: Ski11585

Pitt not having any commits this early says little or nothing about how this class will ultimately turn out. For perspective here is some Pitt class history on commit dates:

2017--First commit on May 10l
2016--Two commits in March; 3rd commit not until June.
2015--One super early commit in January; commit #2 not until June.
2014--First commit on April 30; Second commit in June.
2013--One commit in March, two in April, third not until May.

So, there is absolutely no need for hand-wringing or comparing us to Duke on April 11/12. it is meaningless to infer anything about Pitt recruiting, especially as regards to comparing us to Duke so early in the year.
DC if you looked at my op closely you will see that I said that Duke

will not be ranked that high as times goes on and also that Pitt very seldom gets commits during this time as you factually point out. However we would love our team to be getting commits in this period because one commits usually leads to another and then another. Also that is the Recruiting landscape as it now stands and it won’t be changing. We have a ton of offers out there so things will pick up soon but my point sort of indirectly is we need a good season and not just an upset here or there to get verbals during this period. I think this staff is a hard working staff but the biggest thing you have to sell is a winning program. Once this occurs and hopefully that will start with this season will we see early commits that will lead to other commits as well.

I wish I could find the article about Cutcliffe and his recruiting philosophy and it's very specific they don't offer kids without seeing them first at duke camps

Kind of fits in this thread, but VT now has two 4* commits already in April and an average recruit ranking of .8807, which is pushing 4* territory for the class average.

And a group of so-called Pitt fans love to eat their own in the name of keepin it "reeaal"

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT