ADVERTISEMENT

Article Football uncertainty has Lyke and Pitt watching and waiting

I saw some floating around the idea of a winter/spring schedule which I don't know how that would work in the north. You can't run the season too late or you bump into fall preparation. Plus how many senior prospects would want to play in the spring and have only a month or two off before the NFL starts up? Too early and you are playing games in the frigid Northeast winter.

If the decision for students returning back on campus is made by July 1, and the answer is yes, then it will happen. Anything else I don't see it flying.

I really doubt there'll be a college or pro football season. When HL mentioned they won't play football without fans tells you all you need to know. JMO but being realistic

I really doubt there'll be a college or pro football season. When HL mentioned they won't play football without fans tells you all you need to know. JMO but being realistic

don't underestimate the greed of the NFL. They will attempt to play without fans if possible. College is pretty greedy too, but NFL is a whole other level. If students aren't allowed back in the fall, doubtful there will be a fall college season.

Surprised to hear her say they wont play without fans due to social distancing. I mean if mass gatherings of 100-200 are allowed by then, I doubt there would be a "except for sports" provision. My take on it is there is a school of thought out there that they'd rather wait till the 2nd semester when the virus could potentially be largely gone so fans can attend. The NFL may be in the same boat and I'd think the 2 leagues would end up on the same timeline. Yea, it would create a ton of issues but there isnt much you can do.

Here's my example College Schedule:

Opening Day: Friday, January 1
Week 13: Saturday, March 27
Championship Games: Saturday, April 3
Semifinals: Saturday, April 24
NC: Monday, May 3

NFL Draft: 1st Week of June

2022 NCAA and NFL seasons pushed back 1-2 weeks

Reactions: Nashville Panther
don't underestimate the greed of the NFL. They will attempt to play without fans if possible. College is pretty greedy too, but NFL is a whole other level. If students aren't allowed back in the fall, doubtful there will be a fall college season.
I doubt that alot of the egotistical players in the NFL will play in front of empty seats.

Surprised to hear her say they wont play without fans due to social distancing. I mean if mass gatherings of 100-200 are allowed by then, I doubt there would be a "except for sports" provision. My take on it is there is a school of thought out there that they'd rather wait till the 2nd semester when the virus could potentially be largely gone so fans can attend. The NFL may be in the same boat and I'd think the 2 leagues would end up on the same timeline. Yea, it would create a ton of issues but there isnt much you can do.

Here's my example College Schedule:

Opening Day: Friday, January 1
Week 13: Saturday, March 27
Championship Games: Saturday, April 3
Semifinals: Saturday, April 24
NC: Monday, May 3

NFL Draft: 1st Week of June

2022 NCAA and NFL seasons pushed back 1-2 weeks

Football in February in Pittsburgh.....lovely. Although with global warming the winters aren't bad anymore.

Football in February in Pittsburgh.....lovely. Although with global warming the winters aren't bad anymore.

Yea, not ideal but better than nothing. College football is a southern sport anyway so they'll be ok. There's a few northern schools that take it seriously and those fans will pack their stadiums if it was 20 below (PSU, OSU, Mich, Wis, Neb, Iowa).

Yea, not ideal but better than nothing. College football is a southern sport anyway so they'll be ok. There's a few northern schools that take it seriously and those fans will pack their stadiums if it was 20 below (PSU, OSU, Mich, Wis, Neb, Iowa).

then how do you turn around and be ready for the new season to start in the fall? Not much break, no time for recruiting, injuries to heal, etc. Many seniors with pro aspirations would probably sit out. Too much to jump right from a college season into the NFL training regimen.

But once again, you can't under estimate greed, and colleges are greedy too. Just not as NFL levels since there is still the pretense of it being "amateur" and "students"

then how do you turn around and be ready for the new season to start in the fall? Not much break, no time for recruiting, injuries to heal, etc. Many seniors with pro aspirations would probably sit out. Too much to jump right from a college season into the NFL training regimen.

But once again, you can't under estimate greed, and colleges are greedy too. Just not as NFL levels since there is still the pretense of it being "amateur" and "students"

You said it. It comes down to greed. Plus, the overwhelming majority of players would rather play than not play. If the NC is May 3, you give them 2 months off then pick up S&C drills on July 1 and start fall camp and the season 2 weeks late. Its doable

I can see the NFL doing something outrageous. TV drives the bus so it wouldn’t be surprising.

College doesn’t quite work the same way because they still operate under the myth of student athletes. If you can’t hold classes on campus, no idea how you could have sports. The NCAA should be looking at “what if” scenarios. Not just the season but recruiting and eligibility.

Yes the viruus is expected to abate by end of May and make a return late summer. Who really knows.

Wow. A year without football. Just wow.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT