ADVERTISEMENT

If Oregon and OSU can continue the ‘Civil War,’ why can’t Pitt and PSU renew their series?

HailToPitt725

Head Coach
May 16, 2016
Wait, I already know the answer to that. It’s because they’re too coward to agree to a home-and-home series. They say they’re focused on other “marquee regional games,” which translates to Delaware, Syracuse, and Temple.

Meanwhile, every argument that Penn State fans make against renewing the series- Pitt doesn’t deserve a 1-for-1, PSU subsidizes Pitt’s athletic department, PSU must keep their non-conference scheduling flexible in the expanded Big Ten- got thrown out the window when Oregon (B1G) literally worked with multiple other schools to extend their in-state rivalry with Oregon State (soon to be G5) in a series that will have equal home games for both schools.

At the end of the day, you either want to play or you don’t. If Penn State refuses to schedule a fair series, that’s fine. I’m happy prioritizing the Backyard Brawl moving forward.

It’s a shame because it’s one of the most storied and most played in-state matchups; in a college football landscape that continues to change, it’d be nice to have a semblance of tradition. Just my opinion, though.

Reactions: FireballZ
PissU ended the rivalry. It's the only real rivalry we had and it's in PA and it should be played. When it was played, it was the biggest game on the schedule for both teams. wvu didn't come close. Now we make wvu a rivalry because of the lowliness of their fanbase and hatred for them. wvu isn't even a PA school.

I miss the game, it's true, but I can do without the anger from both sides. It's over the top. I don't know if it's the same with Oregon/OSU, but I suspect not.

At this point, there's no real reason other than history to keep it going. Nobody in the Pitt AD remembers the old days. Nobody in the PSU AD remembers the old days. The students really don't give a crap, since it's more of a Boomer thing than anything else.

There were some truly great games, but at the time both teams were on more or less equal footing. With the income disparity, we no longer are, and it's only going to get worse, I'm afraid.

Easy answer. Oregon is a better football program than is PSU and they aren't afraid of playing Oregon State.

But we should be happy there is no series. PSU would win 3 out of 4 and it's only going to get worse as the BIG teams teams bring in tens of millions more per year for athletics. Pitt missed it's last chance when they went to the ACC instead of using the scandal where Paterno allowed a coach to rape kids. Morons at Pitt (and smart guys here) foolishly believed that the ACC southern demographics were more important then playing in the BIG. Dolts.

I miss the game, it's true, but I can do without the anger from both sides. It's over the top. I don't know if it's the same with Oregon/OSU, but I suspect not.

At this point, there's no real reason other than history to keep it going. Nobody in the Pitt AD remembers the old days. Nobody in the PSU AD remembers the old days. The students really don't give a crap, since it's more of a Boomer thing than anything else.

There were some truly great games, but at the time both teams were on more or less equal footing. With the income disparity, we no longer are, and it's only going to get worse, I'm afraid.
The anger is all on social media. I didn't grow up through the glory years of the rivalry but I went to all 8 of the games from 97-2019. I didn't have any issues at all with the fans. In fact I felt the last game in 19 was really tame in atmosphere. Maybe the rain delay killed off the energy but I felt like a fan at any other stadium. In fact got more grief from Tennessee fans in 21 than psu fans.

A few reasons:

1. psux doesn"t need Pitt

2. psux has nothing to gain

3. With NIL, Pitt can"t compete consistently

4. psux fans no longer consider Pitt a rivalry

5. pleasing a few thousand Pitt fans does not matter

A few reasons:

Those are all true, but none of them have stopped Oregon and Oregon State from playing beyond 2023:

1. Oregon doesn’t need Oregon State
2. Oregon has nothing to gain
3. With NIL (and their relegation), Oregon State won’t be able to compete consistently
4. Oregon fans no longer consider Oregon State to be their biggest rival*
5. Pleasing a few thousand Oregon State fans does not matter

I guess what it comes down to is that Oregon values their in-state rivalry; Penn State does not.

Wait, I already know the answer to that. It’s because they’re too coward to agree to a home-and-home series. They say they’re focused on other “marquee regional games,” which translates to Delaware, Syracuse, and Temple.

Meanwhile, every argument that Penn State fans make against renewing the series- Pitt doesn’t deserve a 1-for-1, PSU subsidizes Pitt’s athletic department, PSU must keep their non-conference scheduling flexible in the expanded Big Ten- got thrown out the window when Oregon (B1G) literally worked with multiple other schools to extend their in-state rivalry with Oregon State (soon to be G5) in a series that will have equal home games for both schools.

At the end of the day, you either want to play or you don’t. If Penn State refuses to schedule a fair series, that’s fine. I’m happy prioritizing the Backyard Brawl moving forward.

It’s a shame because it’s one of the most storied and most played in-state matchups; in a college football landscape that continues to change, it’d be nice to have a semblance of tradition. Just my opinion, though.
You’d have to ask JoePa. He still rules.

• Haha
Reactions: Ten Thousan Marbles
Those are all true, but none of them have stopped Oregon and Oregon State from playing beyond 2023:

1. Oregon doesn’t need Oregon State
2. Oregon has nothing to gain
3. With NIL (and their relegation), Oregon State won’t be able to compete consistently
4. Oregon fans no longer consider Oregon State to be their biggest rival*
5. Pleasing a few thousand Oregon State fans does not matter

I guess what it comes down to is that Oregon values their in-state rivalry; Penn State does not.
Duh, they are in the same league. Time will tell if it continues. Doubt that Oregon will want to continue the "rivalry" with a soon to be Mountain West school.

Duh, they are in the same league. Time will tell if it continues. Doubt that Oregon will want to continue the "rivalry" with a soon to be Mountain West school.

They aren't in the same league after this year. But there are reports out today that they have agreed to continue playing next year. Similar to the way that Washington and Washington State have already announced that they are going to continue playing.

Will it last long term? Who knows? But at least in the short term those are two rivalries that are going to continue to be played despite the conference stuff.

A few reasons:

6. psu has no rivalries because we are unrivaled

7. child rape isn’t so bad, they’re only kids

8. football above all else

9. who needs conference championships when you can get a really cool white out

10. hey listen, there is only the illusion of rape around our program and coaches, it was only like 8 or 10 incidents

Iowa/Iowa State
Kentucky/Louisville
Georgia/Georgia Tech
Clemson/South Carolina
Florida/Florida State
Washington/Washington State
Oregon/Oregon State

The only 2 major D1 in-state rivalry that is on hiatus is Pitt/Penn State and OU/OK St.

It is thoroughly disgusting to see this repeated groveling and pleading for a few crumbs from this vile, amoral excuse for a university.
Have we no pride?

• Haha
Reactions: jtownknowitall
Iowa/Iowa State
Kentucky/Louisville
Georgia/Georgia Tech
Clemson/South Carolina
Florida/Florida State
Washington/Washington State
Oregon/Oregon State

The only 2 major D1 in-state rivalry that is on hiatus is Pitt/Penn State and OU/OK St.
Miami/UF and Texas/A&M are others. Why does a rivalry have to be in-state to be considered important? OU/NU had many national impacting games left to memories.

Miami/UF and Texas/A&M are others. Why does a rivalry have to be in-state to be considered important? OU/NU had many national impacting games left to memories.

It doesn't. Just saying that Pitt/PSU is the only major in-state rivalry that isnt being played. Texas/A&M will resume next year and. And it is understandable why Florida/Miami dont play since Florida plays 8 SEC games + Florida State.

there is not much even left on that equine skeleton and folks are still taking whacks at it...

• Haha
Reactions: HailToPitt725

You can come up with umpteen examples other than just OU-OSU.

And then your post makes it sound like it’s all on PSU. Yeah, maybe Pitt was more interested in keeping it going in the FB side but we know full well from the BB side that Pitt isn’t above the same stupid behavior.

• Haha

You answered your own question. They don't want to play. The first time they said it was enough for me. We shouldn't have scheduled the last 4 game series.

Best to forget about them. I wish their trolls would forget about us.

If Oregon and OSU can continue the ‘Civil War,’ why can’t Pitt and Duquesne renew their series?

Wait, I already know the answer to that. It’s because they’re too coward to agree to a home-and-home series. They say they’re focused on other “marquee games,” which translates to Canisius, Fort Wayne, and Binghamton.

Meanwhile, every argument that Pitt fans make against renewing the series- Duquesne doesn’t deserve a 1-for-1, Pitt subsidizes Duquesne’s athletic department, Pitt must keep their non-conference scheduling flexible in the ACC- got thrown out the window when Oregon (B1G) literally worked with multiple other schools to extend their in-state rivalry with Oregon State (soon to be G5) in a series that will have equal home games for both schools.

At the end of the day, you either want to play or you don’t. If Pitt refuses to schedule a fair series, that’s fine. I’m happy prioritizing Robert Morris moving forward.

It’s a shame because it’s one of the most storied and most played in-state matchups; in a college basketball landscape that continues to change, it’d be nice to have a semblance of tradition. Just my opinion, though.

Reactions: HailToPitt725

Because PSU has no interest in playing annually .

Apparently their entire athletic budget depends on 1 mlrr
Rent a win at home game a year

If Oregon and OSU can continue the ‘Civil War,’ why can’t Pitt and Duquesne renew their series?

Wait, I already know the answer to that. It’s because they’re too coward to agree to a home-and-home series. They say they’re focused on other “marquee games,” which translates to Canisius, Fort Wayne, and Binghamton.

Meanwhile, every argument that Pitt fans make against renewing the series- Duquesne doesn’t deserve a 1-for-1, Pitt subsidizes Duquesne’s athletic department, Pitt must keep their non-conference scheduling flexible in the ACC- got thrown out the window when Oregon (B1G) literally worked with multiple other schools to extend their in-state rivalry with Oregon State (soon to be G5) in a series that will have equal home games for both schools.

At the end of the day, you either want to play or you don’t. If Pitt refuses to schedule a fair series, that’s fine. I’m happy prioritizing Robert Morris moving forward.

It’s a shame because it’s one of the most storied and most played in-state matchups; in a college basketball landscape that continues to change, it’d be nice to have a semblance of tradition. Just my opinion, though.

Duquesne isn't a Power 6 basketball program. We should not play them home and home. Pitt and PSU are both P5 (soon to be P4) football programs. Also, Duquesne, historically has been one of the worst programs at their high major level. If they were Dayton or Memphis or VCU, it would be different. We should play Duquesne 2 for 1 in basketball and RMU 3 for 1 in basketball.

You can come up with umpteen examples other than just OU-OSU.

And then your post makes it sound like it’s all on PSU. Yeah, maybe Pitt was more interested in keeping it going in the FB side but we know full well from the BB side that Pitt isn’t above the same stupid behavior.

And we’re just as wrong as Penn State is for not continuing the City Game with Duquesne. I try to remain consistent on this issue. It would’ve made for a GREAT matchup this year.

Reactions: NCanton Panther
Except . . . they haven't played Temple since 2016. (They still had that game remaining on the contract, but since the previous game was the famous "ten sacks of Hackenburg", they had no desire to renew.)

Reactions: Atlanta Panther
Duquesne isn't a Power 6 basketball program. We should not play them home and home. Pitt and PSU are both P5 (soon to be P4) football programs. Also, Duquesne, historically has been one of the worst programs at their high major level. If they were Dayton or Memphis or VCU, it would be different. We should play Duquesne 2 for 1 in basketball and RMU 3 for 1 in basketball.
You’re doing some real mental gymnastics there. Because Pitt not playing Duquesne in BB is worse than PSU not playing Pitt in FB.

Except . . . they haven't played Temple since 2016. (They still had that game remaining on the contract, but since the previous game was the famous "ten sacks of Hackenburg", they had no desire to renew.)
I listed Temple because they actually have a home-and-home scheduled with them for 2026 and 2027. At Temple in 2026, at Penn State in 2027 (unless FBS Schedules is wrong?)

If they’re scheduling home-and-homes with them (no disrespect), then they can schedule one with Pitt… They just elect not to.

You’re doing some real mental gymnastics there. Because Pitt not playing Duquesne in BB is worse than PSU not playing Pitt in FB.

How is it worse? Pitt and PSU football are on somewhat equal footing. Duquesne is one of the worst A10-level programs. There are Pitt/PSU-like games all over college football. I cannot think of a Pitt/Duquesne type rivalry played home and home.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT