ADVERTISEMENT

If Oregon and OSU can continue the ‘Civil War,’ why can’t Pitt and PSU renew their series?

Far better chance of making the Backyard Brawl an annual game and far greater chance to win and not lose 51-6 at home.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
I don’t see the importance for the rivalry since they are in separate conferences.

Also with the transfer portal and kids changing schools every year it just isn’t the same, across the table.

And then your post makes it sound like it’s all on PSU. Yeah, maybe Pitt was more interested in keeping it going in the FB side but we know full well from the BB side that Pitt isn’t above the same stupid behavior.

Ironically enough, Pitt and Penn State stopped playing in basketball because Pitt was beating them so bad every year and they didn't want the beatdowns to continue.

Little did they know, we had Kevin Stallings in our future.

• Sad
If Oregon and OSU can continue the ‘Civil War,’ why can’t Pitt and Duquesne renew their series?

Wait, I already know the answer to that. It’s because they’re too coward to agree to a home-and-home series. They say they’re focused on other “marquee games,” which translates to Canisius, Fort Wayne, and Binghamton.

Meanwhile, every argument that Pitt fans make against renewing the series- Duquesne doesn’t deserve a 1-for-1, Pitt subsidizes Duquesne’s athletic department, Pitt must keep their non-conference scheduling flexible in the ACC- got thrown out the window when Oregon (B1G) literally worked with multiple other schools to extend their in-state rivalry with Oregon State (soon to be G5) in a series that will have equal home games for both schools.

At the end of the day, you either want to play or you don’t. If Pitt refuses to schedule a fair series, that’s fine. I’m happy prioritizing Robert Morris moving forward.

It’s a shame because it’s one of the most storied and most played in-state matchups; in a college basketball landscape that continues to change, it’d be nice to have a semblance of tradition. Just my opinion, though.

Are there really more than a couple Pitt fans who don't think that Pitt should be playing Duquesne in basketball every year?

The games at the Civic Arena / PPG were just fine every year. And I think that most Pitt fans think that way.

Easy answer. Oregon is a better football program than is PSU and they aren't afraid of playing Oregon State.

But we should be happy there is no series. PSU would win 3 out of 4 and it's only going to get worse as the BIG teams teams bring in tens of millions more per year for athletics. Pitt missed it's last chance when they went to the ACC instead of using the scandal where Paterno allowed a coach to rape kids. Morons at Pitt (and smart guys here) foolishly believed that the ACC southern demographics were more important then playing in the BIG. Dolts.
Did Pitt really have a choice between joining the Big 10 or ACC?

Ironically enough, Pitt and Penn State stopped playing in basketball because Pitt was beating them so bad every year and they didn't want the beatdowns to continue.

They stopped playing when Pitt joined the Big East.

They stopped playing when Pitt joined the Big East.

They played every season from 00-01 through 05-06 and Pitt won the last five in a row. The margins of victory in those five Pitt wins was 30, 22, 27, 13 and 37. That was when they decided they didn't want to continue playing us. Since then we've played them three times, once in the Big Ten/ACC challenge and then twice in early season tournaments in New York/New Jersey. We won the first two of those three as well, and then for the third of the three, Kevin Stallings and a 31 point Penn State win.

They played every season from 00-01 through 05-06 and Pitt won the last five in a row….
Pitt joined the Big East for ‘82-‘83. The only time they played between the year before that and the timeframe you mentioned was in the NIT once.

Their time as an every year opponent was over long before the ‘00s came along. Everyone just accepted it.

Pitt joined the Big East for ‘82-‘83. The only time they played between the year before that and the timeframe you mentioned was in the NIT once.

Their time as an every year opponent was over long before the ‘00s came along. Everyone just accepted it.

They signed to play us a long term series, and then declined to renew the series because we were beating them too badly.

I mean you might not like that fact for some reason, but it is a fact.

Actually Dixon didnt want to play PSU home and home because it was a waste of a road game.

Actually Dixon didnt want to play PSU home and home because it was a waste of a road game.

Actually Pitt offered to continue the series and Penn State declined.

I always say because they got tired of the beat downs, but of course we don't know for sure if that's the case. It merely fits in with their MO.

They signed to play us a long term series, and then declined to renew the series because we were beating them too badly.

I mean you might not like that fact for some reason, but it is a fact.
The facts are these schools stopped being rivals that played every year in:
  • Basketball after ‘81-‘82
  • Football after ‘92
A subsequent multi game series or two in the respective sports was just that, a limited series.

The facts are these schools stopped being rivals that played every year in:
  • Basketball after ‘81-‘82
  • Football after ‘92
A subsequent multi game series or two in the respective sports was just that, a limited series.

It was never a basketball rivalry as neither team was historically good and nobody really cared about it.

Why did it stop becoming a rivalry in 1992? The Pedophile Enabler felt playing Pitt wasn't worth the risk. He beat Pitt a lot, to be sure, but he felt losses here and there would help Pitt and hurt his program. The question is, why doesnt Iowa, Oregon, Washington, Georgia, etc feel the same way? The answer is because the Pedophile enabler is a low character piece of s*** human.

I’m sure I’ll be quickly corrected if I have this wrong, but I was under the impression PSU was okay with scheduling two games at a time periodically but Pitt wanted four minimum or no deal.

It’s not difficult to understand the reasons for PSU to only want two games at a time. PSU, like most schools needs 7 home games to maximize revenues. With a 9 game conference schedule, it’s impossible to schedule more than one “home and home” series per season and still get the required 7 home games.

PSU thinks it’s more important to bring in different schools each season (Auburn, WVU, Syracuse, Pitt…) than to play the same team (Pitt) every season.

I’m one of the few PSU alums I know who hope someday Pitt gets into the B1G and we can get the Thanksgiving weekend game back permanently. Unfortunately, the way things look, I don’t see it happening.

I’m sure I’ll be quickly corrected if I have this wrong, but I was under the impression PSU was okay with scheduling two games at a time periodically but Pitt wanted four minimum or no deal.

It’s not difficult to understand the reasons for PSU to only want two games at a time. PSU, like most schools needs 7 home games to maximize revenues. With a 9 game conference schedule, it’s impossible to schedule more than one “home and home” series per season and still get the required 7 home games.

PSU thinks it’s more important to bring in different schools each season (Auburn, WVU, Syracuse, Pitt…) than to play the same team (Pitt) every season.

I’m one of the few PSU alums I know who hope someday Pitt gets into the B1G and we can get the Thanksgiving weekend game back permanently. Unfortunately, the way things look, I don’t see it happening.

A few corrections:

- PSU will always have 7 home games. In the years when they play 4 B10 home games, they can play 2 cupcakes + a P4 at home. In years when they have 5 B10 home games, they can play 2 cupcakes + P4 away. Also, the "needing" X amount of home games was a myth. Jamie Dixon used the same excuse for not scheduling tougher

- PSU thinks its more important to play Syr, WVU, and Auburn because they have just as high a likelihood of beating them than they do beating Pitt and if they lose, it doesn't hurt them in recruiting as losing to Pitt.

PSU not scheduling Pitt is about protecting their territory because they feel that they will lose enough to hurt them.

• Haha
Reactions: psuted
For a non-conference opponent they sure live rent free in a lot of fans' heads in here.

For a non-conference opponent they sure live rent free in a lot of fans' heads in here.
At one time they were a rival! Luckily we still have the one that both sides openly admit they look forward to and hate each other, The Backyard Brawl!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT