ADVERTISEMENT

For any of you that want to apply for HC job

Rules out any current assistant coach who has no D1 HC experience.

Technically it doesn't say that. It says the applicant needs "a minimum of 5 years’ coaching experience (preferably at the NCAA Division l or comparable level)". It doesn't say that it must be head coaching experience, just coaching experience. If they decide they want an assistant, this job description won't stop them.

Reactions: NCanton Panther
Technically it doesn't say that. It says the applicant needs "a minimum of 5 years’ coaching experience (preferably at the NCAA Division l or comparable level)". It doesn't say that it must be head coaching experience, just coaching experience. If they decide they want an assistant, this job description won't stop them.

This is what I read:

"A minimum of 5 years’ coaching experience (preferably at the NCAADivision l or comparable level) is required. In addition, the candidate should present the following qualifications:
Demonstrated ability to produce and lead a highly successful, championship level Men’s Basketball team"

I guess I read into it that an Asst Coach would not have "produced and lead" a highly successful, championship level Men's BB team. But you're right; there's a bit of stretch in this description. A high level Asst Coach could argue that his talents (recruiting, working with "position" players, etc,) led to a team's success.

Reactions: Joe the Panther Fan
This is what I read:

"A minimum of 5 years’ coaching experience (preferably at the NCAADivision l or comparable level) is required. In addition, the candidate should present the following qualifications:
Demonstrated ability to produce and lead a highly successful, championship level Men’s Basketball team"

I guess I read into it that an Asst Coach would not have "produced and lead" a highly successful, championship level Men's BB team. But you're right; there's a bit of stretch in this description. A high level Asst Coach could argue that his talents (recruiting, working with "position" players, etc,) led to a team's success.

I think your interpretation could be correct, I'm just saying that if they want it to read the other way they could "hide behind" that.

Reactions: Chairman Moe
If a new coach is not announced by the middle of next week, we are hopeless.
Contrary to Pitt athletic firing and hiring history, you do not fire a coach who is owed millions without having a suitable replacement in line ready to ink a contract. If the admin is about to now start a search which should have begun several months ago, then the results will mirror those of its recent past. Pitt will desperately grasp at the last available, dented soup can on the shelf and the cycle of incompetence will repeat itself.

Did anyone see this:

Anticipated Application Deadline (Close date) 05/31/2018

Yes, I did. That's a fairly wide period for evaluation. You figure that any applicant who's a current coach/asst for a team who participates in the NCAAT might not be available for an interview until late March, early April.

I sure hope that whoever "applies", or is recruited, is as impassioned by the job and program's potential as he is by whatever Pitt offers for pay. Maybe a pipe dream, but I certainly hope we don't f*** this one up ...

Pitt will desperately grasp at the last available, dented soup can on the shelf and the cycle of incompetence will repeat itself.

I have hopes that we will break the cycle, but this post made me laugh and I am afraid we will end up with another dented soup can. *shrug*

If we hire someone who is coaching in the NCAA tournament then it absolutely, positively will not be announced by the middle of next week. I'm not sure why that's so hard for people to understand.
There you go, bringing reality into the discussion.

Don't worry PITT Leadership has the next PITT basketball coach locked up.

f6c2998a46174c46a4aff94ac0d92f6b.jpg

If we hire someone who is coaching in the NCAA tournament then it absolutely, positively will not be announced by the middle of next week. I'm not sure why that's so hard for people to understand.
And the hire should be Matta, Crean, or someone coaching in the NCAA tournament.

I know nothing about coaching basketball but I am very enthusiastic and I will work for half of what we paid Stallings. I am also will to sign a guarantee that I will match or exceed Stalling's ACC record from this season.

Reactions: PittPeteHeinz
68 coaches plus assistants still be coaching their current teams in the tourney mid next week.

Sorry, the yourney slipped my mind in this recurring nightmare. But the point is that the search should be nearing its conclusion now, not its beginning.

Reactions: gary2
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT