ADVERTISEMENT

For those soccer fans, especially SMF who think they run the entire game...

And I'm not saying it is. I can run 6 miles in 90 minutes also. I'm saying you or I or an MLB or NFL player cannot do so while also playing a sport. Example, if you told Aaron Judge or Pat Mahomes to go play a soccer game and they could not come out and had to run as much as everyone, they seriously might die.
I’m sorry but you are seriously overstating the difficulty of running 6 miles in 90 minutes while playing a sport.

Sprinting for an entire soccer game as way harder than running a marathon and requires way more fitness.

You cannot compare sprinting vs jogging for long periods of time
Now of course that depends on what level of marathoner you’re talking about. Since this debate started off talking about elite soccer players I guess we’re talking elite marathoners as well. You want to describe what elite marathoners do as jogging, you’re way off base.

I think I saw something where he would drink two cases from the arena to the hotel room. Jake the Snake told it. And I don't think it was a very long ride at all. He also defecated in bathtubs in countries where the toilets were smaller, so there is that.

There is no doubt that soccer players run a lot, but to compare them to the amount of running that a marathon runner would be wrong.
real athletes shouldnt use marathon runners as some sort of measuring stick. i see 75% of them and i dont know whether to applaud them or sponsor them for only 25 cents a day.

Sally Struthers used to be on TV in telethons for them in the 80s at 2am. She'd ask for only a quarter a day from us so she could feed them paste..

See the source image

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Fk_Pitt
real athletes shouldnt use marathon runners as some sort of measuring stick. i see 75% of them and i dont know whether to applaud them or sponsor them for only 25 cents a day.

Sally Struthers used to be on TV in telethons for them in the 80s at 2am. She'd ask for only 25 cents a day from us so she could feed them paste..

See the source image
Ha!! Reminds me of my favorite player, a teammate of Pulisic’s at Chelsea, who oddly enough runs enough to cover the amount of ground as two people as his best known attribute. He’s not from Kenya, but he might as well be.

th

They actually have stats for how many miles each player walks, jogs and runs each game. So while it’s fun to prove SMF wrong and often easy to do, I’m not sure what your point actually is. The amount of miles they run, even when you take away the jogging and walking, dwarfs all the other sports.
My son plays frisbee soccer at 5 a.m. before work in a church league down south and recently showed me his exact movements by text. Speed, positioning , heart rate, mileage etc. off his smart watch ... Amazing the technology . Plus his freaking stamina ...
That is modern day technology for the common man . I can't imagine what they probably have at that level of competition ...

Andre drank a case of beer with diner on a routine basis.

That dude probably drank more alcohol than any human ever on this planet.

By the time he died, Andre's blood was probably just alcohol.

He was also a pretty despicable human being, based on stories other wrestlers have told.

• Haha

Sally Struthers used to be on TV in telethons for them in the 80s at 2am. She'd ask for only a quarter a day from us so she could feed them paste..

See the source image
I’ve come to the realization now that the more running and fitness required, the least exciting a sport it is to Americans. Afterall, hockey and soccer are low on the list to most Americans. And the sport that’s most popular has the least amount of running and action and has the most stoppages (football).

Andre the giant drank a case of beer before a match. More impressive.
Drank a 106 beers and passed out on a holiday inn couch so they through a sheet over him until he woke up. Also rob Reiner said he got crushed during filming of the princess bride and drank a case of wine a day. Pretty sure he died of cirrhosis.

No one is saying they sprint the whole game. But the ground they cover, which includes walking is very very high so obviously there is a lot of running and sprinting if you are going to cover 6-7 miles in 90 minutes. Its why you can be fat and play most other sports but you cannot be fat and play soccer. These guys are literally in marathon shape. If you give them a week off after the game, they can go complete a marathon. A 1st Basemen, WR, or point guard cannot do that on 1 week's notice.
Just about anyone can cover 7 miles in 90 minutes. Soccer players can probably do in in 35.

Give them a few months to train, sure. I'm saying none of them are in natural shape to be able to do it on command. They would have to be hospitalized or would die.
They wouldn’t be hospitalized, or die. However, very few could be in good enough shape, with training, to make the number of runs soccer players do.

I’ve come to the realization now that the more running and fitness required, the least exciting a sport it is to Americans. Afterall, hockey and soccer are low on the list to most Americans. And the sport that’s most popular has the least amount of running and action and has the most stoppages (football).

True actually. Americans love watching golf, nascar, baseball, football. Suprised bowling and pool arent more popular

Another STUPID THREAD trying to say that soccer is easy to play, by people who never played soccer. Why not start another thread about how LeBron could take 5-6 random NFL WRs and DBs with him to Qatar and win the World Cup without practicing! :)

What about baseball, 90% of the players aren't even moving 90% of the time, most of the game is 2 guys playing catch, yet we are told it's the hardest sport because of the hand eye coordination needed to hit 100 mile/hour fast ball, it's like a trans person, all the visible evidence shows one gender, but they insist they are the other, like baseball 90% of the time they're just standing in one spot and 1% of the time they swing the bat, so that makes it the hardest sport.

What about baseball, 90% of the players aren't even moving 90% of the time, most of the game is 2 guys playing catch, yet we are told it's the hardest sport because of the hand eye coordination needed to hit 100 mile/hour fast ball, it's like a trans person, all the visible evidence shows one gender, but they insist they are the other, like baseball 90% of the time they're just standing in one spot and 1% of the time they swing the bat, so that makes it the hardest sport.
you are comparing baseball to trannys?

lol. come on man. where are you going with this? 79, you are out there man. that's not an insult, i love it. i love your posts..

i love baseball but it's appeal is that it is different. it is a lazier sport, very little if any cardio, but what you are using as insults is why some people love it. no clock, batter vs hitter, etc.

again, we all dont have to love the same sports. some we like, some we dont and we all disagree. we all dont have to think alike. if someone doesnt like soccer, why does that upset you so much, it's weird. you dont like baseball, i do, im ok with this. im not upset..

if you are one of these fans that feel you have to defend your sport incessently to the doubters, its time to find a new hobby.. we should all respect each other's opinions. except of course if you like nascar, it freakin sucks.

you are comparing baseball to trannys?

lol. come on man. where are you going with this? 79, you are out there man. that's not an insult, i love it. i love your posts..

i love baseball but it's appeal is that it is different. it is a lazier sport, very little if any cardio, but what you are using as insults is why some people love it. no clock, batter vs hitter, etc.

again, we all dont have to love the same sports. some we like, some we dont and we all disagree. we all dont have to think alike. if someone doesnt like soccer, why does that upset you so much, it's weird. you dont like baseball, i do, im ok with this. im not upset..

if you are one of these fans that feel you have to defend your sport incessently to the doubters, its time to find a new hobby.. we should all respect each other's opinions. except of course if you like nascar, it freakin sucks.
So what? If someone starts a thread dedicated to trying to say soccer is easy, what's the big deal if I throw in a post ripping a sport I don't like and haven't watched in years. The talk was like you see, Messi just walks around all game, you have to admit, most players in a baseball game rarely move the entire game, especially now with analytics and the smart play being to wait for a walk or swing for the fences, there's very little action. Face it, all sports are hard to play at the highest level, and Aaron Judge has that hand/eye coordination to smack those home runs, but for him, I bet playing a soccer game would be impossible.

So what? If someone starts a thread dedicated to trying to say soccer is easy, what's the big deal if I throw in a post ripping a sport I don't like and haven't watched in years. The talk was like you see, Messi just walks around all game, you have to admit, most players in a baseball game rarely move the entire game, especially now with analytics and the smart play being to wait for a walk or swing for the fences, there's very little action.
nothing man, im not mad, feel free to post. just dont get it.

most baseball players in a game get more exercise jogging to and from the dugout between innings than in an actual game. i agree. no one said baseball is a high endurance sport. if they are, they are making a very dumb argument..

most baseball players in a game get more exercise jogging to and from the dugout between innings than in an actual game. i agree. no one said baseball is a high endurance sport. if they are, they are making a very dumb argument..
Hardest thing in sports might be hitting a golf ball. Lol.

But take it from me, hitting a baseball is right up there. Take it from me, someone who was a lead off hitter and struck out 4 times in one collegiate game. But hey, at least I worked the count! It probably took the pitcher 50 pitches to strike me out 4 times!!! Most profound thing I did at Pitt.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof

But do you get it, when this guy starts a whole thread just to say soccer players don't do anything? Look soccer is no better than my 3rd favorite sport. But I still can't sit here and listen to the stupid crap about how anyone can do it, any NFL WR is better than actual soccer players with a weeks practice, some of the stuff people say with their agenda to put the game down is just stupid.

Hardest thing in sports might be hitting a golf ball. Lol.

But take it from me, hitting a baseball is right up there. Take it from me, someone who was a lead off hitter and struck out 4 times in one collegiate game. But hey, at least I worked the count! It probably took the pitcher 50 pitches to strike me out 4 times!!! Most profound thing I did at Pitt.
I agree, it's hard to hit a baseball, I sucked at baseball, topped out in what was called Connie Mack League. But does that make it the hardest sport, and yeah, hitting golf balls well and consistently is hard to do, but could Craig Stadler run around a soccer field or run from home to first? The reality is every sport is different and just because you're good at one doesn't mean you would automatically be good at any other.

speaking of high endurance, i saw a story a few weeks ago where some chick ran a 100 miles in under 13 hours. She was keeping a pace of over 8mph. it hit home cause when i go on the treadmill, i finish off the last two minutes at this pace. my heart feels like it's gonna explode after 120 seconds and she did this, out on a street, for over a 1/2 a day..

was nuts to even think about. oh and the kicker, the chick broke the world record but it was taken back cause the track was 700 yards short..

speaking of high endurance, i saw a story a few weeks ago where some chick ran a 100 miles in under 13 hours. She was keeping a pace of over 8mph. it hit home cause when i go on the treadmill, i finish off the last two minutes at this pace. my heart feels like it's gonna explode after 120 seconds and she did this, out on a street, for over a 1/2 a day..

was nuts to even think about. oh and the kicker, the chick broke the world record but it was taken back cause the track was 700 yards short..
My nephew, who was a high school soccer player and a walk on at Pitt soccer for a year, is running Marathons now, it's taking him about 5-6 hours to complete them and he's in great shape. Myself, I used to jog years ago, but got no joy out of it, ran 2-3 miles max, it's not "fun" I spent my younger adult years playing basketball, volleyball and softball and even 2 years playing adult rec soccer (I was the GK, because I really couldn't do the other positions well at all), for exercise, but just running, is monotony IMO, don't know how people get so obsessed with it?

Marathon runners run 26 miles in 2.5 hours. Soccer players, depending on position run half marathons in 90 minutes twice a week.

When you take in consideration muscle injuries due to fitness and fatigue, soccer players have to be incredibly fit to play.

I guess my point is I see yours. And I see his.

I see both sides of this argument and both are correct.

Being from the marathon runner side, I can tell you that marathon runners, if they train properly, run 60 - 100 miles/week and varying paces. They vary their runs with sprints, easy runs, and marathon pacing (typically under 6 minute miles). It's every day. It's not easy training and is grueling. I'm sure soccer players also train equally, I'm just not sure what that involves.

I know how hard it is to train for marathons because I do it. I don't run full marathons, I run halfs because of my age and because of time constraints. But even training for a half marathon is not easy, running 40 - 50 miles/week. But it helps keep me active, moving and in shape. Same goes for soccer. Those guys are very fit, active and moving, so their overall health should be better than average.

There's no need to detract from either sport because both require extreme stamina and endurance.

Treadmill is one thing. Try doing that pace out on a street. Two different animals.

Treadmill is one thing. Try doing that pace out on a street. Two different animals.
dude, i know. i completely agree. me at planet fitness in 72 degree gym staring at the chick's can in tight yoga pants and a sports bra in front of me on the stair machine vs being outside in the weather doesnt even compare..

dude, i know. i completely agree. me at planet fitness in 72 degree gym staring at the chick's can in tight yoga pants and a sports bra in front of me on the stair machine vs being outside in the weather doesnt even compare..

What's cool is running outdoors in a paced race with a bunch of other people while pacing yourself to keep up with the chick with the nice butt and tight pants for 13.1 miles. Now that's motivation!

• Haha
Do we go to the same Planet Fitness :) ?

A friend of mine called it “Planet Fatness” one time and it’s never been the same.

A friend of mine called it “Planet Fatness” one time and it’s never been the same.
It varies, there are plenty of fat people, but just as many fit people where I go. But the fat people need it, so I don't begrudge them being there, in fact commend them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT