ADVERTISEMENT

For those soccer fans, especially SMF who think they run the entire game...

speaking of high endurance, i saw a story a few weeks ago where some chick ran a 100 miles in under 13 hours. She was keeping a pace of over 8mph. it hit home cause when i go on the treadmill, i finish off the last two minutes at this pace. my heart feels like it's gonna explode after 120 seconds and she did this, out on a street, for over a 1/2 a day..

was nuts to even think about. oh and the kicker, the chick broke the world record but it was taken back cause the track was 700 yards short..
My daughter who played in Europe has a former teammate from the Netherlands staying with us tomorrow for several days. This girl bounced around from soccer(football) team to soccer team at the English club level and apparently just gave it up. My daughter said she’s running ultra marathons now? Or Mega Marathons? I can’t remember what they’re called. In any event, it’s twice the distance of a marathon? I can’t imagine who would want to do that to themselves.

My daughter who played in Europe has a former teammate from the Netherlands staying with us tomorrow for several days. This girl bounced around from soccer(football) team to soccer team at the English club level and apparently just gave it up. My daughter said she’s running ultra marathons now? Or Mega Marathons? I can’t remember what they’re called. In any event, it’s twice the distance of a marathon? I can’t imagine who would want to do that to themselves.
My nephew is training for a 50-mile run, he's run the marathons in Pittsburgh, Philly, NYC and he's a former soccer player. He says he runs in like 5 hours, I agree with you, I don't see the appeal? But really in the end, it's mostly just to say you did it.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
It varies, there are plenty of fat people, but just as many fit people where I go. But the fat people need it, so I don't begrudge them being there, in fact commend them.
I have to say, the heavier people there, all respect to them, especially in 2022 where you have Lizzo spreading the message that Fat is as good as Fit so why bother :)

My nephew is training for a 50-mile run, he's run the marathons in Pittsburgh, Philly, NYC and he's a former soccer player. He says he runs in like 5 hours, I agree with you, I don't see the appeal? But really in the end, it's mostly just to say you did it.

It's mostly about being able to say to yourself that you accomplished a difficult physical goal and a challenge. And it's more about the training than the actual race. For me, it's just to keep myself moving as I get older. I don't ever want to stop moving if I don't have to.

It varies, there are plenty of fat people, but just as many fit people where I go. But the fat people need it, so I don't begrudge them being there, in fact commend them.
Oh, me too for sure. Just the play on the name cracks me up. I lost about 100 pounds about 8 years ago, and kept it off (for the most part) by running. I used to be the fat guy on the treadmill, so I know first hand how miserable that is. I definitely didn’t mean to disrespect anyone in that position. It’s a damn hard thing to do.

An ultramarathon is basically any distance over a marathon. Lots are on trails and they a miserable and awesome. I just completed #21 this past weekend, with distances varying from 50k to 100 miles.

An ultramarathon is basically any distance over a marathon. Lots are on trails and they a miserable and awesome. I just completed #21 this past weekend, with distances varying from 50k to 100 miles.
God bless you. Not for me.

God bless you. Not for me.
thats crazy to me too. To be able to run for 50-75 miles is just something i cant even comprehend. it's like me going outside and running to morgantown or meadville lol.

They have my respect to say the least..

thats crazy to me too. To be able to run for 50-75 miles is just something i cant even comprehend. it's like me going outside and running to morgantown or meadville lol.

They have my respect to say the least..
Think of it as “moving efficiently.” There is walking (or as we like to call it to make it sound good - power hiking) based on terrain. If you’re on a really hilly course, walking is far more efficient and keeps you from completely dying.

Think of it as “moving efficiently.” There is walking (or as we like to call it to make it sound good - power hiking) based on terrain. If you’re on a really hilly course, walking is far more efficient and keeps you from completely dying.

I guess my wife and I do ultramarathons also since we hike in the National Parks and there are some 28 - 30 milers we have done in the past. Not sure I'd do that now, but it was fun when I was younger. Now we limit ourselves to the 10 - 13 mile hikes.

I was going to say that barely below a 13 min mile -
I’m slow and ran 10 min miles while jogging
a 13 min mile is walking. briskly but still walking. this coming from a guy that isnt breaking any records on the treadmill with the speeds i use.

a 13 min mile is walking. briskly but still walking. this coming from a guy that isnt breaking any records on the treadmill with the speeds i use.
I’m a jog 5 minutes walk for 90 seconds guy - and I still average 10min 20 seconds/mile and that was Tuesday in the cold

Reactions: Conemaugh
Many will probably laugh but to me, it’s always been men’s tennis at the very top level. Always impressed by the physical and mental toughness of these guys when it’s a 5-hr or longer match against an opponent of fairly equivalent skill.
Tennis is an incredible workout. So much lateral movement and quick bursts. Also a fun game to play. Unfortunately it is hard on the joints for big guys and damn near impossible to play after knee injuries.

Six miles in 90 minutes is the opposite of difficult. I was never a competitive runner or anything, but I could do 6 miles in 45-50 minutes after drinking a 5th the night before. 90 minutes might be an okay time if you were running backwards, I guess.

Not suggesting what they do isn't difficult; I just don't know if that would be my selling point.
Walking at a reasonably fast pace for long distance is generally considered 15 minute miles. Therefore, a reasonably fast walk of 6 miles should take 90 minutes. For you treadmill guys, that equates to walking on a treadmill at 4 mph for 90 minutes. Not at all an athletic achievement. I think soccer players are great athletes, but it is not because the can cover 6 miles in 90 minutes.

I’ve come to the realization now that the more running and fitness required, the least exciting a sport it is to Americans. Afterall, hockey and soccer are low on the list to most Americans. And the sport that’s most popular has the least amount of running and action and has the most stoppages (football).
Guys playing football run much more than baseball players, and it's not even close. However, both sports do have sprint speed as a key for performance. Hockey has that too. I assume that soccer has instances where sprint speed comes into play, but not nearly as much as the three mentioned above. Basketball much the same. Basketball players run their asses of on a small court. Soccer players run their asses of on a much larger field. Hockey players do it on ice. Running, speed, and fitness measure is sport dependent.

Guys playing football run much more than baseball players, and it's not even close. However, both sports do have sprint speed as a key for performance. Hockey has that too. I assume that soccer has instances where sprint speed comes into play, but not nearly as much as the three mentioned above. Basketball much the same. Basketball players run their asses of on a small court. Soccer players run their asses of on a much larger field. Hockey players do it on ice. Running, speed, and fitness measure is sport dependent.
Soccer doesn’t have sprint speed nearly as much as the others? Wow I don’t even know what to say.

Reactions: Pitt79
I guess my wife and I do ultramarathons also since we hike in the National Parks and there are some 28 - 30 milers we have done in the past. Not sure I'd do that now, but it was fun when I was younger. Now we limit ourselves to the 10 - 13 mile hikes.
I would say the big difference is that races have time cutoffs. I did a 50k this past weekend that had a time limit of 8.5 hours.

At the same time, hiking is its own animal, too. My daughter and I did a three day, approximately 40 mile hike on the Laurel Highlands Hiking Trail this past summer. Carrying everything you need for days is tough. I read your post as you did your 30 mile hikes in one shot, which is awesome. Which parks have been your favorites?

Ok, the average offensive football team has 60 plays a game. Could not find an actual time for it but I would suspect from most snaps to the end of a play the average offensive play lasts about 6 seconds. So 60 plays for 6 seconds results in at maximum 6 minutes of running.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
ADVERTISEMENT