ADVERTISEMENT

Ford fumble

Franb

Junior
Jun 25, 2002
Narduzzi was asked about Ford being in the game to return the punt, and he responded that he was concerned about how Ffrench had been holding the ball on previous returns. The more important question is, why is anyone fielding a punt on the 5 yard line? There is no reason to catch that punt, regardless of who happens to be the return man. Are they not taught to let that punt go, in the likelihood that it will bounce into the end zone?

Earlier in the game, Duke showed exactly how to handle that punt. The returner signaled for a fair catch, moved up a few yards to decoy the punt coverage guys, and let it bounce into the end zone. Are Pitt players not instructed to do that? Ford did not even signal for a fair catch, he was trying to return it from the 5. Just a terrible play, even if he does not fumble.

Someone asked in another thread why Aaron Mathews doesn't play more. He should be the punt returner in those situations. No he isn't going far on a return. Yes he will catch the ball without fumbling it. Yes he would know when to fair catch it. Yes he would know when to fake catch it and let it roll. Huge football IQ, just gets the game.

Reactions: JSSTartan
I am questioning the strategy of fielding a punt on the 5 yard line, regardless of who does it or if we won. Do you think that punt should be fielded?

No! Ford f-ed up! He has returned punts before and that is punt return 101.

Reactions: superstein61a
He was put in because Ffrench held the ball out with one hand ala Neon Deon so Ford was put in. There is no defense of fielding the ball where he did so my guess is he will not be fielding punts again.

I am questioning the strategy of fielding a punt on the 5 yard line, regardless of who does it or if we won. Do you think that punt should be fielded?

Paris will not be returning punts again this year. BTW, we won
It was a fair question to ask. Of course we know we won the game, but it is horrible execution to try and field a punt inside your 5 yard line under any circumstance. So I'm not buying your indignation to the poster who began this thread.

My apologies! I get tired of defending my school on this board as we seem to let trolls roam freely where other sites do not. I saw the way Ffrench fielded the previous punt and coach prob said lets give Ford a chance. He should never field a punt inside the 10 yd line.

We need a fair catch guy In that situation. It’s obviously not Ford, but we need someone who catches 100 out of 100 right there

Reactions: PittFamily2
If he scored the same people bashing him, these arm chair professionals, would be talking about the talent and what a great play he made.

If he scored the same people bashing him, these arm chair professionals, would be talking about the talent and what a great play he made.
No one is bashing Ford as a player. He played a fantastic game and was the best player on the field. The issue is simply allowing someone to field a punt inside the 5 yard line. That's bad football, period. People who have played the game and understand the game know that this was a terrible mistake. There is no circumstance by which a player should ever field a punt inside the 5 yard line.

No one is bashing Ford as a player. He played a fantastic game and was the best player on the field. The issue is simply allowing someone to field a punt inside the 5 yard line. That's bad football, period. People who have played the game and understand the game know that this was a terrible mistake. There is no circumstance by which a player should ever field a punt inside the 5 yard line.
My point still stands amidst all your words

This was just an example of a guy line ford being a bit too amped up to finally getting a crack to return a punt and trying to do too much. Reminded me of when Pac-Man Jones said he never fair caught a punt in his life.

If Duz wants someone else to get a few returns here and there I got no problem with it but that wasn’t really the situation to do it. Considering where they were kicking from and the lead we had it wasn’t going to be a returnable punt, they literally should have had nobody back there.

Considering how well Ffrench returned an earlier punt I don’t know why we even bothered swapping anyways. If you want someone else getting a rep at least do it when they are kicking from deep in their own territory to increase the likelihood the punt can actually be returned.

Reactions: Parkview57
Not really sure why the coaches didn't just have a word with Ffrench about what happened on the previous return and then send him back out there regardless in that particular situation and place on the field. That's kind of how the player/coach relationship is supposed to work.

It was an absolutely horrible decision by the coaching staff to take that chance at that point in the game. It can't be defended, and Narduzzi didn't really try to defend it in the postgame to his credit, other than noting his unhappiness with Ffrench hotdogging on the previous return.

Reactions: Parkview57
Paris will not be returning punts again this year. BTW, we won

That would be ridiculous if true. The kid made a mistake - how many Pitt punt returners have mishandled punts. Pretty much every one of them. Paris is a legit talent with the ball and has the ability to make defenders miss and even take one the distance.

He is a stud who had a pick six, and another interception and is always making big plays.

Shame on Narduzzi if he doesn’t let him return another punt. And why apologize for putting him in the game... why not then apologize for putting Kenny in the game after he threw two picks or apologize for having the receivers in the game who dropped passes or fumbled the ball.

This is silly. Paris is a f’n stud who made one mistake. Back the kid up coach - double down on him- don’t apologize coach as if you made a big mistake by giving him a chance - put him right back in... His next punt return just may be for a TD.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr. Monaca
Punt returns have been an issue all year. Ffrench is averaging 6 yards per return and that includes his long run last night. He's bobbled a bunch of punts as well.

On the Ford play, there were 2 problems:
1) He should not try to field that punt
2) He should never have been back there in that situation. That's a situation where you put a "hands guy".

Reactions: SatelliteTailGate
Paris fumbled the punt but the real issue is trying to field a punt inside your 10 yard line.....actually the 5 yard line! Inside the 10 you always let the ball go in the end zone. He also did not try to fair catch it!

I do believe Paris would be the most exciting returner we have but you can't take this risk-reward imho.

There is no circumstance by which a player should ever field a punt inside the 5 yard line....uh, when down by two tds with 1:30 to go in the game and you need to take the risk for a return for a td or much better field postion would dispel that premise I think..

also, apparently according to Ford being up by 23 late in the 3rd quarter against a completely demoralized team qualifies...

Punt returns have been an issue all year. Ffrench is averaging 6 yards per return and that includes his long run last night. He's bobbled a bunch of punts as well.

On the Ford play, there were 2 problems:
1) He should not try to field that punt
2) He should never have been back there in that situation. That's a situation where you put a "hands guy".
Bingo! Given the score and where Duke was punting from you put your best hands guy back there with his heels on the 10-yard line and use the punt return 101 logic. Having Paris Ford back there, and the fact that he never signaled for a fair catch... either Paris is our best hands guy and had a brain fart, or our coaches had a brain fart putting him back there expecting a big play. Either way, a brain fart occurred.

I think Ford is very capable of returning punts. I think he had flashbacks of HS where he could get away with the attempt on the 5. It was a mistake. Was that his first return attempt?

As much as I absolutely despise putting in a cold punt returner in that situation, I understand Narduzzi’s reasoning. I would actually totally agree with it, under one circumstance.... you have to make it crystal clear that you are basically just trying to fair catch the ball there, if it’s inside the 10 yard line you don’t even catch it at all.

Being that Ford practices returning punts he should know this. But this is of unbelievable importance, Narduzzi still needs to pound it into his head before he takes the field. If for some odd reason that didn’t happen, you have a special teams coach. What the hell is his job if he’s not talking to a new punt returner in that situation and telling him exactly what he should be doing?

Ford absolutely should’ve known on his own to not catch that punt. That is a humongous error on the coaching staff though if there was still doubt in Ford’s mind over what to do as the ball was getting ready to land.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
Ford absolutely should’ve known on his own to not catch that punt. That is a humongous error on the coaching staff though if there was still doubt in Ford’s mind over what to do as the ball was getting ready to land.

Ummm, we don't know what the coaching staff pounded into his head or not. To be fair, while Ford is a very good player, he doesn't appear to be the sharpest tack in the box. He certainly was taught in practice never to field a punt at the 5. He may have been reminded of that before he went out there - and he could have just had a brain cramp or thought he could make a play like he did in high school.

Reactions: Pittx9
As much as I absolutely despise putting in a cold punt returner in that situation, I understand Narduzzi’s reasoning. I would actually totally agree with it, under one circumstance.... you have to make it crystal clear that you are basically just trying to fair catch the ball there, if it’s inside the 10 yard line you don’t even catch it at all.

Being that Ford practices returning punts he should know this. But this is of unbelievable importance, Narduzzi still needs to pound it into his head before he takes the field. If for some odd reason that didn’t happen, you have a special teams coach. What the hell is his job if he’s not talking to a new punt returner in that situation and telling him exactly what he should be doing?

what is a cold punt returner? the kid had a good sweat on and has the hands (just not the head in this case) to do the job...

i wish punt returners stuck with the golden rule of not fielding a punt in the 10 yard line. yes, the punting team could field it at the one but more often than not, it will bounce in endzone.

It's such a simple rule yet it always goes ignored.. stand at the 10 and don't take any steps back. if it's over your head, get out of the way. this isn't hard. and it's not just ford, i see it in nfl, college, the returners drift back and try and play it all the time..

When the score is 26-3 with roughly 5 minutes to go in the 3rd quarter and your defense is absolutely slamming the door on the opponent you instruct anyone who's back to receive the punt to let the ball bounce if it's anywhere near the 10 yard line. Don't rough the kicker, don't botch the catch and get the ball back even if it means starting at your own 1. Ford made a mistake, it happens, but he never should've been back there. You can't have the staff and player make a mistake in that situation. It was the only chance Duke had of getting momentum and trying to make a game of it. Bottom line, if the last 22 minutes of that game were managed correctly 26 points would've won that game by 23 points based on how the Pitt D was playing. Getting the win is all that matters in the end, but it would be nice to avoid those kinds of easily correctable mistakes.

what is a cold punt returner? the kid had a good sweat on and has the hands (just not the head in this case) to do the job...
Anybody who isn’t the normal guy back there. If you’re gonna put a new return man in that only has a little bit of actual in-game experience doing so, a punt that will likely be landing deep in your own territory is not the time to do that.

Although like I said I do get Narduzzi’s reasoning for it. Ffrench’s poor ball carrying technique on the previous return was not his first scary moment back there.

Ummm, we don't know what the coaching staff pounded into his head or not. To be fair, while Ford is a very good player, he doesn't appear to be the sharpest tack in the box. He certainly was taught in practice never to field a punt at the 5. He may have been reminded of that before he went out there - and he could have just had a brain cramp or thought he could make a play like he did in high school.
It’s possible. But man, if they told him to literally not worry about returning it at all.... that’s a pretty big brain cramp.

That would be ridiculous if true. The kid made a mistake - how many Pitt punt returners have mishandled punts. Pretty much every one of them. Paris is a legit talent with the ball and has the ability to make defenders miss and even take one the distance.

He is a stud who had a pick six, and another interception and is always making big plays.

Shame on Narduzzi if he doesn’t let him return another punt. And why apologize for putting him in the game... why not then apologize for putting Kenny in the game after he threw two picks or apologize for having the receivers in the game who dropped passes or fumbled the ball.

This is silly. Paris is a f’n stud who made one mistake. Back the kid up coach - double down on him- don’t apologize coach as if you made a big mistake by giving him a chance - put him right back in... His next punt return just may be for a TD.
Just make sure Ford understands the fundamentals of his position on the field as a return man first.

Otherwise i agree with you.

You never field a punt inside the 10.

It’s possible. But man, if they told him to literally not worry about returning it at all.... that’s a pretty big brain cramp.

I believe Ford is the back-up punt returner. He has had reps in practice, in scrimmages. He, like any punt returner, has been told you plant your feet on the 10 and don't backpedal to catch the ball. If it is over your head at the 10, let it bounce.

Yeah, it was a brain cramp on his part

This is being made a bigger deal than it has to be.

Punt returners are 100% catch the ball guys, they know where they are on the field and manage stuff accordingly.

Apparently Ford isn't part of the PITT astro, nuclear medicine, science, major, he's a back-up punt returner, so he deserves a break on this one,

I do have to laugh at how many punt return experts we have on the board.

I wonder how many of you guys actually returned punts or just watched it, or read about it.

I played football beyond HS, one position I don't think I wanted was being a punt returner. In addition to playing LB one of the jobs i had was to stun punt returners the second he caught the ball.
Fumble, fumble, fumble,
Its a tough job!
Give the guy a break he's doing a great job!

Last edited:
Reactions: RaleighPittFan
There is no circumstance by which a player should ever field a punt inside the 5 yard line....uh, when down by two tds with 1:30 to go in the game and you need to take the risk for a return for a td or much better field postion would dispel that premise I think..

also, apparently according to Ford being up by 23 late in the 3rd quarter against a completely demoralized team qualifies...
Uh - no. Even in that bizarro circumstance a player should not field a punt inside his own 5 yard line. The odds would be much better to let it go into the end zone and take the ball on the 20. So my premise is not dismissed.

This is being made a bigger deal than it has to be.

Punt returners are 100% catch the ball guys, they know where they are on the field and manage stuff accordingly.

Apparently Ford isn't part of the PITT astro, nuclear medicine, science, major, he's a back-up punt returner, so he deserves a break on this one,

I do have to laugh at how many punt return experts we have on the board.

I wonder how many of you guys actually returned punts or just watched it, or read about it.

I played football beyond HS, one position I don't think I wanted was being a punt returner. In addition to playing LB one of the jobs i had was to stun punt returners the second he caught the ball.
Fumble, fumble, fumble,
Its a tough job!
Give the guy a break he's doing a great job!
Well if you played on special teams in college you should know differently.
I was a LB in college too and did two seasons on punt return team and punt team. That principle-dont field a punt or even step behind the 10-was drilled into the return guys’ heads over and over and over for months. Everyone was drilled to stay the F away from a ball inside the 10. 7 times out of 10 the result will be a touchback. 3 times you end up inside the 5 and screwed. But nothing good can come of touching a punted ball inside your own 10.

Ford is a playmaker and a difference maker who is finally making his presence felt at Pitt. But he F’d up on that one-and it was a critical F up. I’m sure it won’t happen again.

Reactions: superstein61a
Just make sure Ford understands the fundamentals of his position on the field as a return man first.

Otherwise i agree with you.

You never field a punt inside the 10.

No question Paris made a mistake by fielding it within the 10 yard line.

With that bit of information being understood, I am guessing that when Narduzzi walked over to Ford and told him to go in, he probably said something like, “You got your chance to prove what you can do. Go show us what you’ve got ” which to him meant to field the ball and do something special or the job goes back to FFrench.

Let’s also keep in mind that Narduzzi must have known there was a pretty high likelihood that the punt might come down in between the 10 yard line and the goal line- so the question is- why even put him in there?

This plays into my issue I had with Narduzzi’s apology. It comes across as if he is owning the mistake of thinking Paris could ever be a good option as a punt returner instead of making it clear the mistake had nothing to do with the best player on the field’s ability to be a good returner and everything to do with how he handled the coaching part of that situation.

Reactions: RaleighPittFan
With that bit of information being understood, I am guessing that when Narduzzi walked over to Ford and told him to go in, he probably said something like, “You got your chance to prove what you can do. Go show us what you’ve got ” which to him meant to field the ball and do something special or the job goes back to FFrench.

OMG - the depth some of you go to deflect the blame from the player who made the boneheaded decision.

You "guess" this is what Narduzzi may have said. Are you Carnac the freaking magnificent or what?

Ford made a decision that goes against everything he has been taught and practiced. It happens. It is really that simple.

We need a fair catch guy In that situation. It’s obviously not Ford, but we need someone who catches 100 out of 100 right there
With the lead we had, only turnovers can beat us. I am not fielding any punts inside the 30. I was happy two other punts were away from Ffrench.

I understand why Narduzzi was upset with the way handled ball on last punt, but maybe he would have been better off just taking to him. Who knows after the big return Ffrench did have, maybe they would have continued to try to kick away from him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT