ADVERTISEMENT

Forged Here

EA isn't paying 6 or 7 figures to get a player in the game lol. Maybe for the cover, maybe. But there's zero chance they're dropping multiple millions of dollars per year to put every All American or All Conference player in a video game, while also paying off the other 10,000 D-1 football players. Kids are gonna take whatever money is offered by EA because they won't want to be the loser who got left out of the game.
EA pays $17k per player for Madden, so that's probably $20-$30 million to the NFLPA . I can imagine schools will likely give each conference to negotiate a flat rate for each team/player (just as they did for the team logos and uniforms). Even if they only pay half that for NCAA players, that comes out to $1,475 per Division 1 scholarship football player.

Power 5 players will probably get a few thousand each, G5 probably a few hundred.

Last edited:
Probably the one that is going to hit it out of the park right away is Olivia Dunne, the LSU gymnist. She has a HUGE social media following.

EA isn't paying 6 or 7 figures to get a player in the game lol. Maybe for the cover, maybe. But there's zero chance they're dropping multiple millions of dollars per year to put every All American or All Conference player in a video game, while also paying off the other 10,000 D-1 football players. Kids are gonna take whatever money is offered by EA because they won't want to be the loser who got left out of the game.
Yea, they'll do a group licensing deal or won't do it all. They arent negotiating with 10K individual players. However, players cant sign group licensing deals so that has to be the next shoe to drop

Probably the one that is going to hit it out of the park right away is Olivia Dunne, the LSU gymnist. She has a HUGE social media following.
She is going to be making six figures very soon and eventually will make over a million with her social media following.

Kids are gonna take whatever money is offered by EA because they won't want to be the loser who got left out of the game.

There are a lot of kids who would probably allow themselves to be in the game just to just get a free copy of it.

Of course they are going to have other people advising them to get at least some real money too, but a lot of kids will just be happy being in the game.

My Sister-In-Law is a Division 1 golfer at an SEC school. After picking her brain after her meeting with the administration here is what I'm thinking: a lot of universities will be signing blanket deals for all their athletes to get a flat amount of money as a start. In her case, and other members of the team, women's golf apparel companies are lining up to monetize Instagram, twitter and even TikTok. A lot of people are sitting here talking about how this flips college FB and BB on its head and its not fair. However in my sister-in-laws case, its evening the gap and she will walk away from college completely debt free and possibly with a nice chunk of change in her pocket. Women college athletes and to be specific; good looking ones at that, will absolutely make a killing with this.

You're crazy if you think star players are going to be that cheap, especially when many will have agents advising them. The amount of money many of these people are going to start making is crazy. I guarantee there have already been 6 if not 7 figure deals signed by a number of athletes.
Agree. It will be the handful of guys who are preordained as legit Heisman candidates from high profile teams each preseason that will reap the greatest rewards by far. Kind of like the Olympics-only the top American athletes that medal in the high profile sports get any endorsement money. But every player everywhere will be trying to capitalize. As others have pointed out there will be complex issues for the players and their schools. The IRS will be watching closely. The schools have some new issues related to the concept of amateur athletics, conflict of interest, use of scholarship money, disparate treatment, licensing, etc etc etc. There will be conflict in state and federal laws.

The whole thing seems destined to be a complete $hitshow. And frankly I hope it is. I understand the constitutional questions that led to this result, but frankly this solution is a travesty.

Kind of like the Olympics-only the top American athletes that medal in the high profile sports get any endorsement money.

That really isn't true. I mean sure, it's only the top Americans that are making big money. But I knew a woman who had (and I don't know, maybe she still has) the Duquesne record in the 400 and 800 meters. When she graduated from college she was good enough to run on the circuit (I think she was only running the 400 at that point), but was no where close to an Olympic medal athlete. And she had an endorsement deal with one of the shoe companies. Her deal wasn't paying her any money but she got all the free gear she wanted. And her deal had a clause in it that if she ran the Olympic meet qualifying time then she would start getting paid. I never asked her how much (I didn't think it was any of my business) and I'm sure it wouldn't have been a whole lot, but they were going to start paying her just so that when she was at the Olympic trials she would wear their gear.

In the end, her best time was less than a second from the qualifying standard when she got hurt and couldn't run at that level any more.

That really isn't true. I mean sure, it's only the top Americans that are making big money. But I knew a woman who had (and I don't know, maybe she still has) the Duquesne record in the 400 and 800 meters. When she graduated from college she was good enough to run on the circuit (I think she was only running the 400 at that point), but was no where close to an Olympic medal athlete. And she had an endorsement deal with one of the shoe companies. Her deal wasn't paying her any money but she got all the free gear she wanted. And her deal had a clause in it that if she ran the Olympic meet qualifying time then she would start getting paid. I never asked her how much (I didn't think it was any of my business) and I'm sure it wouldn't have been a whole lot, but they were going to start paying her just so that when she was at the Olympic trials she would wear their gear.

In the end, her best time was less than a second from the qualifying standard when she got hurt and couldn't run at that level any more.
I’m talking about money. Not free shoes and shit. Athletes at every school with a shoe contract already get that. This thing is about money. There’s not gonna be enough to go around for low to no profile players. Theyre already wearing your stuff from the contract with their school. Why pay them for anything?

I’m talking about money. Not free shoes and shit. Athletes at every school with a shoe contract already get that. This thing is about money. There’s not gonna be enough to go around for low to no profile players. Theyre already wearing your stuff from the contract with their school. Why pay them for anything?

And like I said, if she ran the Olympic qualifying time she was going to get money. Real, actual, spendable cash. For some perspective on that, this year there were 28 women that qualified for the Olympic trials in the 400 and 42 that qualified in the 800. I would imagine that in previous cycles the numbers were reasonably similar. So not only would she have not needed to have been a medal-level runner to get paid, she wouldn't have even needed to be a top 20 American runner to get paid.

In other words, your assertion that "only the top American athletes that medal in the high profile sports get any endorsement money" is flat out wrong.

My Sister-In-Law is a Division 1 golfer at an SEC school. After picking her brain after her meeting with the administration here is what I'm thinking: a lot of universities will be signing blanket deals for all their athletes to get a flat amount of money as a start. In her case, and other members of the team, women's golf apparel companies are lining up to monetize Instagram, twitter and even TikTok. A lot of people are sitting here talking about how this flips college FB and BB on its head and its not fair. However in my sister-in-laws case, its evening the gap and she will walk away from college completely debt free and possibly with a nice chunk of change in her pocket. Women college athletes and to be specific; good looking ones at that, will absolutely make a killing with this.
This seems to be the general thought overall from some athletes I know.

Isnt there supposed to be a site/platform where you can go and book these athletes? Interested to see what they are charging? Can you imagine how much some future 1st Round pick can make by offering private lessons in the summer? Maybe $1000/day?

To your point, Barstool immediately signed a bunch of female players yesterday.

When I was in college (pre-Instagram/Tik Tok) there was a beautiful pole vaulter either at UCLA or Cal that got super famous off of a single picture of her fixing her hair at practice. She's now married to Ricky Fowler. That girl would have made six-to-seven figures over her college career had this rule existed back then.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ski11585

Because no one watches NCAA women's golf, but now Ping can sign a pretty girl with 50-500,000 followers to talk about how great her clubs are on Instagram. You get way more return than on a team sponsorship.

EA pays $17k per player for Madden, so that's probably $20-$30 million to the NFLPA . I can imagine schools will likely give each conference to negotiate a flat rate for each team/player (just as they did for the team logos and uniforms). Even if they only pay half that for NCAA players, that comes out to $1,475 per Division 1 scholarship football player.

Power 5 players will probably get a few thousand each, G5 probably a few hundred.

I think the NCAA number will be much smaller than the Madden licensing for a few reasons, primarily that Madden is substantially more popular than NCAA but also the NFLPA's superior bargaining power compared to individual college kids.

I do agree with you that a 3-4 figure number for major conference players seems fairly reasonable.

Last edited:
To your point, Barstool immediately signed a bunch of female players yesterday. When I was in college (pre-Instagram/Tik Tok) there was a beautiful pole vaulter either at UCLA or Cal that got super famous off of a single picture of her fixing her hair at practice. She's now married to Ricky Fowler. That girl would have made six-to-seven figures over her college career had this rule existed back then.
I hadn't really considered the attraction (no pun intended) of sponsoring female non-revenue D1 athletes. This makes you wonder though if you'll see more of these athletes post provocative pictures like that golfer Paige Spiranac, who is like the golf version of Anna Kournikova.

Isnt there supposed to be a site/platform where you can go and book these athletes? Interested to see what they are charging? Can you imagine how much some future 1st Round pick can make by offering private lessons in the summer? Maybe $1000/day?
You can play a video game with them for like $50/hr

Pitt launches its Forged Here platform! Happy NIL Eve!

This is going to benefit the upper 1 or 2% of college athletes. The stars with real national visibility (Heisman trophy candidates, etc) are going to have lots of opportunity (both locally and nationally). The vast majority of these kids who are now seeing potential dollar signs are going to be very disappointed when they learn that no one is paying the third string left tackle a dime for an appearance.

Reactions: 21Guns.
I don't know if you're joking because that seems believable. Where are the prices?
No idea, I read about it in one of the articles that hundreds of college athletes have already signed up for it and they had already had 500+ professional athletes on the App. Went to check the pricing, but you need to download the app to see and I don't care to be that specific. But the article says prices range from a few dollars to hundreds of dollars, I assume it's up to each individual athlete so who knows.

Most of you are missing the more relevant point. A lot of the splashy deals will make headlines but the rules were hurting a lot of kids that just wanted to do things as simple as get paid for doing things other college kids do or even raising money for a personal cause. There's a kid from Marshall who can perform in a band now without using a fake name.

To the splashy deals, you'll find that talented football and basketball players will do well but so will non-revenue sports. I'd venture to say non-revenue kids will be among the highest earners based on talent or existing social media following. Oh, and the school will almost definitely get a cut similar to what a professional team does. That alone may upset the balance of where schools invest money into facilities and attract talent. Visibility will matter. Of course some say non-revenue sports are a terrible investment but I would think the smartest of this bunch could have easily predicted this.

BTW, how is there not a platform for this for pro athletes? I mean there's Cameo but some of these pro athletes arent Uber-rich. You'd think some lower-level Pirates/Pens/Steelers player would want to show up at a kids birthday party for $10K. Heck, maybe Sid would make make an appearance for $50K or so.

BTW, how is there not a platform for this for pro athletes? I mean there's Cameo but some of these pro athletes arent Uber-rich. You'd think some lower-level Pirates/Pens/Steelers player would want to show up at a kids birthday party for $10K. Heck, maybe Sid would make make an appearance for $50K or so.
A couple of years ago there was a link to a website where someone could contract for Dave Wannestedt to call to wish a happy birthday. I don’t remember what the fee was, but there were pro athletes and former pros on the site too.

This is good for the players. Replaces the system we have now where only certain players are eligible, and much of the cash or non-cash benefits go to people other than the player (especially family), and then the player gets in trouble after the fact. Think of Reggie Bush. His parents got a free house, he got nothing, and they took his Heisman. Under this system, Bush would get the money for his name on a jersey, for the video game cover, etc. and his parents wouldn't get anything. That makes sense.

I think the worry that this will hurt the have-nots is a bit misguided because this stuff is already happening. Big schools give out cash benefits to family (Bush, Cam Newton), provide non-cash benefits (Pryor), or give no-show jobs (Ohio State). And we all know there's a two-tier justice system with schools like USC and Ohio State being functionally immune while smaller or up and coming programs get the hammer. At least programs that don't want to get their hands dirty now have a way to get some money in their players' hands without the fear of getting the death penalty.
Ttt

A couple of years ago there was a link to a website where someone could contract for Dave Wannestedt to call to wish a happy birthday. I don’t remember what the fee was, but there were pro athletes and former pros on the site too.
Yea that's Cameo.

But how is there not some platform where you can book someone like that to come to your tailgate party, bachelor party, etc.

People would pay for that kind of stuff. Would Sidney Crosby turn down $50K to show up at some kid in Sewickley Height's birthday party? I know he IS uber-rich but for 2 hours of time?

Yea that's Cameo.

But how is there not some platform where you can book someone like that to come to your tailgate party, bachelor party, etc.

People would pay for that kind of stuff. Would Sidney Crosby turn down $50K to show up at some kid in Sewickley Height's birthday party? I know he IS uber-rich but for 2 hours of time?
I don’t think $50,000 would be worth the security risk for someone like him.

Who would assume the security risk for a college student?

There may not be a "platform", but the people who have the money to pay an athlete (or anyone else) $50,000 for an hour or two of their time know how to go about making the request.

I mean seriously, if you don't think this sort of stuff happens now you just aren't paying attention.

Bama fans are reportedly done with Alabama made Milo's Sweet Tea because they cut a deal with Auburn's QB Bo Nix.

I think I'm going to look at the pee wee leagues and start endorsing a kid to
get him to go to PITT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Isn't this just buying players for a school. What's to stop a high school athlete
from taking cash from boosters now?
Exactly. I was planning on asking the city to change the name of my street to a Pitt recruit.

How about Cochran lease a car for free to all the players for a year at a time! May cost $400K per year at a monthly lease rate of $400. Players or parents provide insurance. What say u?

Reactions: WannyandWalt
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT