ADVERTISEMENT

Frank Cignetti Jr to be hired as OC.....

The BC fans aren't too sad about it, which is a bit concerning. Seems their offense was pretty meat and potatoes. Kind of weird after the success we just had running complex route trees.

It's silly to pretend whether or not we know it will work out. Nuance and luck are certainly involved. But it certainly doesn't move any needle.

They played most of last season with a walk-on or an injured PJ at QB.

The BC fans aren't too sad about it, which is a bit concerning. Seems their offense was pretty meat and potatoes. Kind of weird after the success we just had running complex route trees.

It's silly to pretend whether or not we know it will work out. Nuance and luck are certainly involved. But it certainly doesn't move any needle.
You telling me whipple moved your needle his first 2 years lol,it moved it so well KP almost transferred

You telling me whipple moved your needle his first 2 years lol,it moved it so well KP almost transferred

And the primary reason he didn't is that we brought Whipple back, so....

And yeah. Whipple was an intriguing hire. That offense he ran with Andy Isabella and that tight end was one of the most exciting in the game. Very non-traditional hire for a guy like Narduzzi.

This is more like the Randy Bates of offense. Extremely safe hire. I just hope Hafley wasn't going to can him. Not saying he was, but I hope we didn't just hire someone BC didn't want.

And the primary reason he didn't is that we brought Whipple back, so....

And yeah. Whipple was an intriguing hire. That offense he ran with Andy Isabella and that tight end was one of the most exciting in the game. Very non-traditional hire for a guy like Narduzzi.

This is more like the Randy Bates of offense. Extremely safe hire. I just hope Hafley wasn't going to can him. Not saying he was, but I hope we didn't just hire someone BC didn't want.
I doubt it. Cignetti knows how to get the ball to his playmakers.

Reactions: Celtsfan
I guess I am ignorant of the hoopla that surrounds all things Cignetti in W.PA. I do know that old Frank went to IUP and basically took whatever steps necessary to get D1 players to play on his DII team and it became known as "great coaching". Not sure what other accomplishments the three had, I will let the board enlighten me, in all seriousness.
Well Curt took over Iup and had a heck of a run there. Went to Elon, yeah Elon and had two winning seasons and parlayed it into a job at JMU where he’s went 33-5 and no worse than the final four.

Anyway, I think this is a good hire now let’s go grab Shanny to coach the WRs!

12 years as an offensive coordinator
That could cut either way. Not everyone gets to be a head coach. Some guys aren’t cut out for it. Coaches fail up and settle back to previous levels in college and the NFL all the time. Some guys are career position coaches or coordinators. Talent mostly rules, so hopefully he can recruit.

We do not need any on the job training for OC. He has extensive experience and knows our area. I really like this hire
He is well respected locally and this should be a boost for recruiting. We now need an ace recruiter at WR coach. He is growing on me. Did you see what his offense did to Clemson's defense 2 years ago with a healthy qb? The more I think about it the more the hire grows on me. Plus Duzz has earned the benefit of the doubt at this point.

That could cut either way. Not everyone gets to be a head coach. Some guys aren’t cut out for it. Coaches fail up and settle back to previous levels in college and the NFL all the time. Some guys are career position coaches or coordinators. Talent mostly rules, so hopefully he can recruit.
I think he was what was expected. Very experienced as both an OC and QB coach. College and recruiting experience in our footprint.

I mean, I could just take the blind faith position every time, but you've got that monopolized.

If you have no clue about Frank- maybe just type "I don't have a clue".

This is a solid to very good hire with a high floor. Pitt's offense should be pretty similar to what we watched last year with a bit more running.

Added bonus- he can recruit. He is the reason Phil Jurkovec is at BC.

Last edited:

Pitt scored over 40 a game and our fans didn’t care for Whipple… so yeah, most fan bases don’t care for their OC for some reason. I like the hire with where the program is at.

I asked this on the pay board and got no response really.

How much college football are yinz watching to have any idea who a good OC hire is? Hell, for $5M I couldn’t name one non-Pitt OC in the ACC let alone be able to assess if someone is a good hire.

It doesn't even matter how much football you watch. It all depends on how they use the talent and skills at their disposal.

Most important is getting the max out of your QB. I think Frank Jr maximized Bill Still and even 1st year starter Tino. I'd say the same for Jurkovec up at BC. If he can extract Freshman Slovis then Pitt fans will be real Happy. I think he'd do well with Patti too.

I asked this on the pay board and got no response really.

How much college football are yinz watching to have any idea who a good OC hire is? Hell, for $5M I couldn’t name one non-Pitt OC in the ACC let alone be able to assess if someone is a good hire.
We've already seen him before and his offenses doesn't conjure up any real positive memories.

Well, Baldwin had 1,111 yards receiving, Dion had 1,799 yards rushing, and we won 10 games when he was with Pitt.
Not to mention a great full back which he used a lot.

The defensive coordinator and Narduzzi will be extremely happy. Our defense will benefit from this hire. They will get a lot less snaps per game due to Cignetti’s ball control offense

Marion would of had a higher ceiling. Compared to Cignetti who has a higher bottom.

Throw in recruiting and Age. Man I hope it works out. BC fans are jumping for joy
Well, we will have to wait even longer to see Marion as OC because he still isn’t one. He wanted and thought he would get the OC job here. He pouted and left when he didn’t get it.

Well, we will have to wait even longer to see Marion as OC because he still isn’t one. He wanted and thought he would get the OC job here. He pouted and left when he didn’t get it.
I was being sarcastic. Everyone was saying Marion was going to be the OC. I just echoed their talking points

I really doubt that was the case, especially with Jurkovic being hurt. Hey, Cignetti made Stull serviceable, that should count for something. Given what Narduzzi likes to run, this is a good hire and I don't see a big learning curve here.

Remember the message board geniuses got out the pitchforks when Wanny wanted to hire Noel Mazzone and everyone thought it was an old crony hire. He went somewhere else (A&M maybe?) and produced some pretty prolific offenses.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT