ADVERTISEMENT

Franklin may be only "brand name" Coach to take PSU gig...

gklimis

Freshman
Gold Member
Dec 29, 2013
Florida
I've been thinking quite a bit about this. Clearly it's well known Franklin has reached his apex. Guy can recruit. But then again, it's Penn State and in all fairness they've owned the mid-atlantic, NE corridor from a recruiting stand point. And let's be fair, they've been the most dominant P5 school for decades in the region.

However, Franklin is not a great coach by any stretch. I think that's a fair assessment, considering the consistent messaging by player alumni, both recent and old, openly critical of him. And Stoops departure spoke volumes about his confidence in Franklin, as clearly money was not the issue.

Certainly it's safe to say PSU has the resources to pay top dollar for any top Coach and the expensive staff that comes with that level of a coach.

But I truly believe that until the university and alumni properly deal with the Sandusky/Paterno situation, no coach with stud credentials is going to affiliate themselves with the program.

I know the incident has increased my despisement for the university leadership and all alumni and fans who fail to put real life in front of sports and admit the school and Paterno made ghastly decisions that allowed for the destruction of dozens of young lives.

So maybe a Pitt fan feels stronger about it than the general public. I find that not the case at all. Such a large amount of general public appears to be aware of this tragedy and negligence by the school and Paterno. Hell, even radio and TV personalities make it a current topic of jokes and ridicule.

I really wish more than anything Penn state truly quit acting like a cult that lives in denial. Whether it's that they dominate the state, or a national powerhouse, or not a rival of Pitt, or that Joe Paterno is a folk hero worthy of being a legendary hero and icon of all that is right about CFB, they are truly out of touch with reality.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News