ADVERTISEMENT

Game 2 - Guess the Score

I wish I could have a better outlook, but .....

The cult of Paterno: 55
Pitt: 7

Edit as I unintentionally saw I copied someone elses prediction

Last edited:
I have concerns that this team will have issues scoring. I hope last week was vanilla on purpose, but the OL and running game seem lacking with the losses from last year. As a result our passing game will struggle even more than it would with a new QB. And no defensive coordinator worth his salt will let Henderson beat him with sweeps with no other formidable threats. Throw in a shaky new kicker ... ugh. Opponents are apt to have the ball often too, which is a bad thing for a struggling defense.

In short, PSU is likely to win big. And they will look to pour it on. It might look like a mid-90s game unfortunately. 56-7.

If that is the score Narduzzi needs to resign after the game.
The only acceptable outcome is a Pitt Panther victory. Period.

If that is the score Narduzzi needs to resign after the game.
The only acceptable outcome is a Pitt Panther victory. Period.
Good thing for PSU that Franklin didn't resign after their road defeat to Michigan 49-10 last season in not their second but their fourth game.

I have concerns that this team will have issues scoring. I hope last week was vanilla on purpose, but the OL and running game seem lacking with the losses from last year. As a result our passing game will struggle even more than it would with a new QB. And no defensive coordinator worth his salt will let Henderson beat him with sweeps with no other formidable threats. Throw in a shaky new kicker ... ugh. Opponents are apt to have the ball often too, which is a bad thing for a struggling defense.

In short, PSU is likely to win big. And they will look to pour it on. It might look like a mid-90s game unfortunately. 56-7.

One, yes they were vanilla on purpose.

Two, the rushing you are complaining about. Pitt had 228 rushing yards from Henderson & RBs versus YSU. Last year they had 96 yards against Villanova and Pitt ended up being a top 10 scoring offense.

Max Browne is a SR quarterback. He might be "new" to Pitt, but he's hardly new to football.

In short, your analysis is wack.

From the beginning of the YSU game, Pitt was not going to open the playbook and give PSU a thing, even if that meant losing.

C'mon Herm. Get real.
You can call Pitt's play vanilla. You can say it had even less flavor than that.
But there is no way Pitt was willing to seriously risk a loss to YSU just to hold something back for PSU.
I believe that Pitt coaching staff was more than a little scared late in last week's game. Narduzzi took it to the edge and nearly got burned.
Do you believe anyone on that staff was thinking "Aw shucks, it's OK to lose this one 'cuz we'll show everyone how good we really are next week."
"...even if it meant losing" is a stupid flipping statement.

One, yes they were vanilla on purpose.

Two, the rushing you are complaining about. Pitt had 228 rushing yards from Henderson & RBs versus YSU. Last year they had 96 yards against Villanova and Pitt ended up being a top 10 scoring offense.

Max Browne is a SR quarterback. He might be "new" to Pitt, but he's hardly new to football.

In short, your analysis is wack.
I think it could be evident from my name that i would like to see a different back play. But getting that bias out of the way, I think it was clear to anyone at the game or watching that most of the hay that was made came in the first half, and while Henderson did get some nice yards, he was contained, and the 3 backs were not threats at any time to break the game open, against a FCS defense, that should have been worn down in the second half, but was stronger than our OL and backs.

I think we know what we have in Ollison and Hall and if they're getting the lions share of the PT, I think the run game will struggle... and that sets the table for the rest of the offense.

As far as Browne, he is "experienced" as far as age perhaps, but actually has little game experience, and what he had was not positive. It's why he's here, so in a way, we have to be glad he didn't succeed at USC. It's a new start now, in a new system. That can be good, or bad ... we'll see. He has a good pedigree, so hopefully he'll come into his own. Soon!

45-17 Nitwits.

Close game at half with Pitt down 17. PSU defense makes adjustments and shuts down the run game. Henderson runs back 3rd quarter KO for only points of the second half. Barkley scores on 2 wheel routes to blow the game open.

Highlight of the game. Aaron Mathews crackback on Wade sending Wade to the sidelines punch drunk for the rest of the game, early in 1st quarter to spring Davis for 37 yd touchdown.

45-17 Nitwits.

Close game at half with Pitt down 17. PSU defense makes adjustments and shuts down the run game. Henderson runs back 3rd quarter KO for only points of the second half. Barkley scores on 2 wheel routes to blow the game open.

Highlight of the game. Aaron Mathews crackback on Wade sending Wade to the sidelines punch drunk for the rest of the game, early in 1st quarter to spring Davis for 37 yd touchdown.
Man, do we have different definitions of "close at half".

Reactions: JSSTartan
Penn State 31 Pitt 28

Pitt shanks last minute punt out of its end zone. Penn State fair catches and nails free kick 50 yard FG.

Reactions: JSSTartan
lfxqphpegxkfc3u77gyx.jpg

only fitting with blackledge on the call for ABC

42 - 21 Penn State

Whitehead could've kept Barkley from ripping off huge runs. He may in fact be held in check, but Pitt will now have to sell out completely to do it. That PSU TE is going to kill them.

Maybe Penn State can bumble the game away with a bunch of weird unforced turnovers, but they're a veteran team that was very disciplined last season, so don't bet on it.

I suppose their QB could contract typhoid or something lol, that might give Pitt a shot.

You guys are all crazy.... Penn State wins and wins big.... Student Whiteout 330 game and revenge on their minds. Pitt Might keep it close in the first half like 24-14. Second half it gets out of hand... 52-24. Pitt scores but the 24 is late scores

Pitt will move the ball between the 25 yard lines but will have trouble converting drives into points due to defensive pressure, noise affecting audibles and counts particularly when they are driving toward the south end zone into the teeth of 25k hollering students, and questions with the kicking game. With the linebackers healthy the expectation will be to keep Pitt's run reasonably in check in base defense. Pitt's offense will be moving around a lot prior to the snap, but expect PSU's D to stay at home and not get pulled out of position as much as they did last year. They'll be keying on Henderson early because he is such a threat. If PSU can get pressure on a 4-man rush it's going to be tough for Browne to get much going with the pass.

On offense PSU will rack up yards with Narduzzi selling out against the run and leaving the secondary in space defending big receiving targets one on one. In particular, Johnson and Gesicki will have advantages of 6"-8" in height and 50-60 lbs in weight on the CB or S covering them in man. They'll be tough assignments and will be expecting passes to the back shoulder where their length and vertical jump give them the only chance at the ball.

Look for some read option early in the game, with McSorley keeping when the DE, MLB, and OLB key on the RB, or flipping the ball over the DL to the slot receiver on the RPO. The defense will have to pick its poison - giving up the intermediate pass or settling back into coverage at risk of getting gashed on the run. Comes down to PSU's ability to execute.

At some point you'll probably see #9 under center and #2 on the flank, maybe with #26 on the LOS which could open up some very interesting plays. PSU feels very good about its offensive weapons and probably can consistently put one more threat on the field than Pitt can defend.

I won't put a score here on your board, but will predict that PSU gets over 500 yards in offense and covers the spread.

"The Line" says that Pitt is gonna get SANDUSKY'D in state college tomorrow :( --- It would definitely be weird to see a Shell-Shocked Narduzzi in that scenario. All he's ever done in state college with MSU is whoop psu senseless --- Pitt has to have pride + anger and play all-out, fearlessly.

Pitt tomorrow in all 3 phases has to play like they're, "UN-RIVALED" :cool:

We won't be able to stop the run or pass for long after the adrenaline wears off.
We're down 21-3 at half and game ends 45-13.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT