ADVERTISEMENT

Game thread

Well, this will be a loss, but at least Capel has made them competitive in year one. It’s a remarkable turnaround and I remain quite pleased.

The real reason this is going to be an L is because of the glaring weakness we all knew this team had this year: lack of bigs. They have killed us on the boards.

Can you imagine this team with a high flying athletic big who can run with the three freshmen?

Capel needs to look at the game film when he gets a chance and find a reason why he is still giving Frame so much playing time.

Figures. JWF makes the impossible 3 when he missed a boatload of open ones all day.

The real reason this is going to be an L is because of the glaring weakness we all knew this team had this year: lack of bigs. They have killed us on the boards.
Yep. We all knew it would be a major obstacle to overcome.

Can you imagine this team with a high flying athletic big who can run with the three freshmen?
Everyone keeps saying it, and its true, but it just needs to happen! Why havent we been able to get any big guys yet? I want to see what can happen when we do

Borrowing from the ‘Good Ben Bad Ben’ phrase, I don’t care how many shots JWF missed, all we needed to win this game was Good Brown instead of Bad Brown. Or Wednesday Brown instead of Saturday Brown. Aggressive Brown instead of Passive Brown.

I saw all the Funderburke offensive rebounds I care to see for a long while.

NC ST. was 4-25 shooting to start the 2nd half. We were unable to rebound those misses and build a lead as a result. Instead, we either let them get put backs or go to the line. We lost this game because we couldn't rebound our defensive glass, end of story!

Reactions: Protes
Not too impressed by NC states coaching
Really? That coach was able to will his team back despite State starting the second half 4-25 and losing both: A) 1 of our 2 big men to a retaliation ejection with 18:00 left in the first half and B) Our best player to injury in the first half.

I can assure you our fanbase is extremely happy with a guy that took a team that was much more talented the year prior and went 15-17 (4-14) and in his first year after losing 9 players from that team the previous year to a 21-12 (11-7) team, a T-3 finish in the ACC, and a Tournament bid. This year's team brought back 3 total contributors from last year and is currently a Top 15 team.

Wanted to come by and tell you guys great game and your team is night and day compared to last year and I think you found the right Coach. Best of luck the rest of the season, except for February 9th obviously.

Reactions: 88Pitt88
That was a pretty bad collapse, there’s just no excuse for giving them 4 open threes in the span of a couple minutes. But it was a hard fought battle on the road against a good team. Hopefully the loss has Pitt hungry and focused for the next game. Another top 15 opponent, but at the Pete. Gonna be a big opportunity for this team.

Going forward though, JWF HAS TO STOP shooting threes. He is absolutely terrible. He was money from the free throw line though, he needs to drive to the hoop as much as possible. It’s absolutely ridiculous to be the senior on this young team and go 1-10 from the field.

If Pitt can avoid losing streaks this season, I think we’re an NIT team. Should be heading to the ACC tourney with a possibility of more. Too early to really predict much, but I don’t think NCAAs are out of the question. I just think like the game today, we’re close but just not quite good enough.

I think we can definitely win 7 ACC games though. Steal a couple games and get to 8, maybe even 9 conference wins... it’ll be a very interesting late February-early March in Oakland. Hopefully it’s another good crowd Monday against a ranked FSU squad, I love that we can actually look forward to these games again.

Reactions: PittInMissouri
Borrowing from the ‘Good Ben Bad Ben’ phrase, I don’t care how many shots JWF missed, all we needed to win this game was Good Brown instead of Bad Brown. Or Wednesday Brown instead of Saturday Brown. Aggressive Brown instead of Passive Brown.

I saw all the Funderburke offensive rebounds I care to see for a long while.
Don't fully agree. Capel has told Brown he needs to be a rim protector. If he is going to be blocking shots, it is going to take him out of position to get some boards. Toney and Frame and the guards have to come down and gang rebound when this happens. It is damn hard for a guy to make a block and get the rebound too. I think many expect to much from Brown. It is coming, but, his hands are still weak and he is still learning.

That was a pretty bad collapse, there’s just no excuse for giving them 4 open threes in the span of a couple minutes. But it was a hard fought battle on the road against a good team. Hopefully the loss has Pitt hungry and focused for the next game. Another top 15 opponent, but at the Pete. Gonna be a big opportunity for this team.

Going forward though, JWF HAS TO STOP shooting threes. He is absolutely terrible. He was money from the free throw line though, he needs to drive to the hoop as much as possible. It’s absolutely ridiculous to be the senior on this young team and go 1-10 from the field.

If Pitt can avoid losing streaks this season, I think we’re an NIT team. Should be heading to the ACC tourney with a possibility of more. Too early to really predict much, but I don’t think NCAAs are out of the question. I just think like the game today, we’re close but just not quite good enough.

I think we can definitely win 7 ACC games though. Steal a couple games and get to 8, maybe even 9 conference wins... it’ll be a very interesting late February-early March in Oakland. Hopefully it’s another good crowd Monday against a ranked FSU squad, I love that we can actually look forward to these games again.

Collapse?

Collapse?
NC State shooting 2-25 in the second half, Pitt up 4, then 4 3-pointers that were wide open. Pitt then missed a putback, then after an NC State miss failed to get a rebound.

If Pitt could rebound, they would’ve won fairly easily. But the situation they were in, giving them wide open looks isn’t the way to protect a slim lead. Pitt just didn’t play well the last 5 minutes.

As a whole, nothing to be ashamed from that loss. But it certainly feels like one they let slip away.

NC ST. was 4-25 shooting to start the 2nd half. We were unable to rebound those misses and build a lead as a result. Instead, we either let them get put backs or go to the line. We lost this game because we couldn't rebound our defensive glass, end of story!
Actually there is one other reason we lost. NC ST has a full complement of scholarship players and therefore a very deep bench, despite losing two good players during the game. We don't have a roster full of scholarship players and at least one who remains on scholarship can't play at this level. This will be the case with every team in this league. Our margin for error is small. We had a chance today, but, most fans knew that rebounding would be this teams biggest weakness.

All that said, I think Terrell holds the key to how good we can be. Defense can be played really in two ways, if you think about it. 1) You can body up and shut a guy down with quickness. or 2) Block or affect shots as they are released. He is not very good at #1. However, he is beginning to excel at #2. It is making us a better defense and harder to score against. I think by his junior year, he will be getting better at #1 as well. I hope it happens sooner tho.

One last point, after Frame's steal and the XJ dunk, we led 58-53. The next time down Frame has an open 3 with a chance to extend the lead and get some breathing room and apply more game pressure to NC ST. If he makes that shot, our odds of winning would have gone way up. He missed and of course, the rest is history.

One last point, after Frame's steal and the XJ dunk, we led 58-53. The next time down Frame has an open 3 with a chance to extend the lead and get some breathing room and apply more game pressure to NC ST. If he makes that shot, our odds of winning would have gone way up. He missed and of course, the rest is history.

You forgot about his bad drive and shot on the possession before. We had 2 chances to extend that lead.

Reactions: 88Pitt88
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT