ADVERTISEMENT

Girls HS soccer injury

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
I was reading in the Trib that 100 goal scorer for Southmoreland suffered a severe injury against Yough last night. Apparently, she is a D2 basketball recruit (Gannon). I remember a few years ago a high level Yough player was injured which prompted her club teammate from Belle Vernon (and Memphis recruit) to quit her HS team. I think we'd both agree that high-level soccer players should not be playing low-level WPIAL soccer under any circumstances. The Yough team that injured her only has 13 players for crying out loud.

I was reading in the Trib that 100 goal scorer for Southmoreland suffered a severe injury against Yough last night. Apparently, she is a D2 basketball recruit (Gannon). I remember a few years ago a high level Yough player was injured which prompted her club teammate from Belle Vernon (and Memphis recruit) to quit her HS team. I think we'd both agree that high-level soccer players should not be playing low-level WPIAL soccer under any circumstances. The Yough team that injured her only has 13 players for crying out loud.
Not one of the players referenced in your post was/is a high level player, and it’s not even close. Trust me.

as far as HS soccer, I can see that kind of stuff happening in the bowels of the WPIAL. But I don’t see it happening at a place like Yough. I know the coach and he’s not putting up with that stuff. That said, all it takes is one kid. But at other schools in AA or A, yeah it can.

but at the AAAA level, it’s all club players with high aspirations. That kind of stuff that you allude to doesn’t go on. The only risk is the risk you take by playing more games and playing a busy schedule. However back in the day with my oldest girl, there were two classes. There was AAA and AA, and at that time big time programs had to play sectional games against garbage teams. So a Peters Twp would be in a section with a West Mifflin as an example. In one game vs a team that was overmatched, our team had our #2 player blow out her MCL/ACL by a dirty tackle…and my daughter had her leg broken by a dirty tackle from behind. Both cases were absolutely due to frustration by the other players who weren’t soccer players. I am still haunted by the sound of her leg snapping. You could have heard it a mile away.

Not one of the players referenced in your post was/is a high level player, and it’s not even close. Trust me.

as far as HS soccer, I can see that kind of stuff happening in the bowels of the WPIAL. But I don’t see it happening at a place like Yough. I know the coach and he’s not putting up with that stuff. That said, all it takes is one kid. But at other schools in AA or A, yeah it can.

but at the AAAA level, it’s all club players with high aspirations. That kind of stuff that you allude to doesn’t go on. The only risk is the risk you take by playing more games and playing a busy schedule. However back in the day with my oldest girl, there were two classes. There was AAA and AA, and at that time big time programs had to play sectional games against garbage teams. So a Peters Twp would be in a section with a West Mifflin as an example. In one game vs a team that was overmatched, our team had our #2 player blow out her MCL/ACL by a dirty tackle…and my daughter had her leg broken by a dirty tackle from behind. Both cases were absolutely due to frustration by the other players who weren’t soccer players. I am still haunted by the sound of her leg snapping. You could have heard it a mile away.
I mean I didn't assume it was a dirty play, just probably not a "real" soccer player who doesn't know how to play. I know Southmoreland is really low but 100 goals there, I'm sure she could start at the high AAAA level and play for Beadling/Century

I mean I didn't assume it was a dirty play, just probably not a "real" soccer player who doesn't know how to play. I know Southmoreland is really low but 100 goals there, I'm sure she could start at the high AAAA level and play for Beadling/Century
I wouldn’t assume she’d start. She could, I don’t know. Im sure she’s a good athlete but I never heard of her until I just read the article. If she has elite pace, a role could probably be carved out for her. But One thing I’m absolutely sure of is AAAA bench and JV players could score 100 goals at southmoreland.

So what’s your inquiry?

I just looked up that Belle Vernon player. She committed to Memphis. Quit HS. Decommitted from Memphis. Then committed to Georgia St. played 64 minutes her freshman year and is no longer on their roster. Not sure if she hit the portal after that.

I worry about this with my kid. She’s a very good player and going D1, and there are too many kids in HS that just don’t have the skills or awareness. We do have some good teams here in the area, but some really bad teams. And many of the injuries are just from carelessness because of not being athletic or aware of how to tackle. But in the end, injuries can happen just from shitty fields, bad luck, or just thinking you should do stuff you don’t normally do at a high club level.

I worry about this with my kid. She’s a very good player and going D1, and there are too many kids in HS that just don’t have the skills or awareness. We do have some good teams here in the area, but some really bad teams. And many of the injuries are just from carelessness because of not being athletic or aware of how to tackle. But in the end, injuries can happen just from shitty fields, bad luck, or just thinking you should do stuff you don’t normally do at a high club level.
I think it depends on the HS league they play in. FK's daugher was playing club-level soccer at the AAAA WPIAL level. If you're playing in a low-level WPIAL league, its a big time risk to play if you have D1 hopes. The kids don't just have the soccer awareness or athletic ability to avoid nasty collisions which could result in a bad injury.

I think it depends on the HS league they play in. FK's daugher was playing club-level soccer at the AAAA WPIAL level. If you're playing in a low-level WPIAL league, its a big time risk to play if you have D1 hopes. The kids don't just have the soccer awareness or athletic ability to avoid nasty collisions which could result in a bad injury.
I know we talked about GCC in the past. They’ve always had good talented players—plenty of D1 players. And you could imagine how bad the teams are that they play in A. They’re even worse than what BVA and Southmoreland play. They’re playing on bad grass fields at 4pm because they don’t have an adequate turfed and lit stadium to play in vs teams who may not have one soccer player on the field. I’m sure there’s been injuries but I can’t recall any major injuries those girls had there over the past 20 years. I think at the end of the day, I would never encourage my kid not to play HS…even at that level. Injuries can always occur. But there are too many good things to be gained from the experience.

I know we talked about GCC in the past. They’ve always had good talented players—plenty of D1 players. And you could imagine how bad the teams are that they play in A. They’re even worse than what BVA and Southmoreland play. They’re playing on bad grass fields at 4pm because they don’t have an adequate turfed and lit stadium to play in vs teams who may not have one soccer player on the field. I’m sure there’s been injuries but I can’t recall any major injuries those girls had there over the past 20 years. I think at the end of the day, I would never encourage my kid not to play HS…even at that level. Injuries can always occur. But there are too many good things to be gained from the experience.
Yea those D1 GCC kids shouldn't have been playing WPIAL soccer. Maybe go ahead and roster them but they should have like only played in the playoffs or whatever. Its pretty stupid and a waste of time to go play Monessen or Derry.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT