ADVERTISEMENT

girl's soccer recruit

pitt90seven

All P I T T !
Gold Member
Dec 5, 2013
twitter account said we got a commitment. i assume that's for 2019 at this point. anyone know who?

nice. 2019. on the mexican national team. good stuff.

FWIW, the Mexican national team is terrible. They dont fund women's soccer in Mexico (and almost every other country in the world) so the team is made up primarily of Americans of Mexican ancestry.

FWIW, the Mexican national team is terrible. They dont fund women's soccer in Mexico (and almost every other country in the world) so the team is made up primarily of Americans of Mexican ancestry.
TRUE! Title IX is American stuff, in the vast majority of countries they still send the women to the kitchen to whip up some snacks for the game. Not a sexist comment, just truth. That's why the USA is so dominant.

on the mexican national team.

Not the full national team. The U20s. Which is still good, but not as good as if she was already playing with the senior team.

the team is made up primarily of Americans of Mexican ancestry.

Which is what Palomo is. She's from Texas and plays in FC Dallas' youth system. She was originally a Texas Tech commit.

honestly, some of you guys need to stop acting as if you're the only people who know anything about soccer. the girl is in HS - we all know she's on the U20 team and not the senior team.

Reactions: bwh05 and Pitt_97
honestly, some of you guys need to stop acting as if you're the only people who know anything about soccer. the girl is in HS - we all know she's on the U20 team and not the senior team.

Well if you know anything about soccer you know that there have been girls in high school who have played for the US senior national team (for instance Mia Hamm was 15 when she was first called up to the senior team), and as SMF noted it's a lot easier for someone to make the Mexican senior national team than it is for someone to make the US team.

And actually, as a junior in high school wouldn't it be more likely that she'd be on a U18 team rather than a U20 team? Of course it would, but hey, no sense making sure everyone gets the facts.

Well if you know anything about soccer you know that there have been girls in high school who have played for the US senior national team (for instance Mia Hamm was 15 when she was first called up to the senior team), and as SMF noted it's a lot easier for someone to make the Mexican senior national team than it is for someone to make the US team.

And actually, as a junior in high school wouldn't it be more likely that she'd be on a U18 team rather than a U20 team? Of course it would, but hey, no sense making sure everyone gets the facts.

giphy.gif

Still,I wouldn't be surprised if the vast majority of Pitt's previous women recruits wouldn't be good enough to get on that team. I'd say, being on even a crappy, unfunded national team is a decent accomplishment.

they tweeted another (maybe) commitment. dunno if it's the same one but it's a tweet from today.

So does that make the player terrible?

No, its still a pretty good recruit. It shows she is one of the top Mexican-Americans. It would be like Pitt men's soccer getting a recruit who plays for the Canadien U20s, which we actually did a few years ago but he opted to turn pro. Solid recruit. Playing for any national team is a great sign for a college recruit. However, the Canadien men's soccer is probably the rough equivalent to Mexican women's soccer.

Its great to see the US women have so much success but the reality is girls and women don't play soccer competitively in most of the world. Its just not in the culture. The women's sports culture in the US give them a tremendous advantage

Reactions: Pitt79
Its great to see the US women have so much success but the reality is girls and women don't play soccer competitively in most of the world. Its just not in the culture. The women's sports culture in the US give them a tremendous advantage
I have a niece, a couple years younger than my daughter, who is growing up in Athens, Greece. She came to visit and came and watched my daughter play soccer, she was so jealous, she wishes she could play on a team with girls. She lives in the biggest city in Greece, and there are no girls teams to join. She said the only option is try to play with boys teams, and very few do. Most are still in the mindset that this is not for girls.

I have a niece, a couple years younger than my daughter, who is growing up in Athens, Greece. She came to visit and came and watched my daughter play soccer, she was so jealous, she wishes she could play on a team with girls. She lives in the biggest city in Greece, and there are no girls teams to join. She said the only option is try to play with boys teams, and very few do. Most are still in the mindset that this is not for girls.

That is not surprising. The Greek national team would be like most other national teams. It would be comprised of part-time amateur players who have full-time jobs doing something else. Maybe they get together and practice on a weekend but its not funded and not taken seriously. Then the US girls will beat them 6-0 in some tournament and everyone will say "look how good our women are at soccer, why cant the men be like that?" Ummm, the men aren't playing teachers, nurses, and dentists

Reactions: Pitt79
That is not surprising. The Greek national team would be like most other national teams. It would be comprised of part-time amateur players who have full-time jobs doing something else. Maybe they get together and practice on a weekend but its not funded and not taken seriously. Then the US girls will beat them 6-0 in some tournament and everyone will say "look how good our women are at soccer, why cant the men be like that?" Ummm, the men aren't playing teachers, nurses, and dentists
Maybe it's the 20 best girls out of the 50 that tried to play club soccer with the boys, out of the population of 10 million that thinks sports aren't for girls.

Maybe it's the 20 best girls out of the 50 that tried to play club soccer with the boys, out of the population of 10 million that thinks sports aren't for girls.

What happens in most of those countries is there are tryouts. Few people know about them, fewer are interested. Pay your own way to get to some major populatioj center for your chance to make a team so you can pay your own way to some international tournament. If you are lucky, maybe you can play the pros from the USA

Have her watch “Bend It Like Beckham.”

Have her watch “Bend It Like Beckham.”
In “Bend It Like Beckham” they had girls soccer teams, where she lives they don't have any at all. Her parents would be OK with her playing, if there was a team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT