ADVERTISEMENT

Good Luck to Runners in the Pittsburgh Marathon

Anyone here ever run it ?

I've run it since 2014. But not this year. I'm sidelined by surgery and my doctor said to not do anything. So I'm not running it this year. Luckily, the surgery is not related to legs, knees or anything related to running. But it's a 8 - 12 week recovery so I'll just be a spectator this year.

Ran the half in 2015 and the full in 2016 and 2017. Can’t run it this year due to my daughter’s first communion tomorrow. Pittsburgh does a great job with the race.

First Holy Communion ! Congrats to your daughter ! I'm attending a First Holy Communion tomorrow(Mt Lebo). I've run many, proud to say I've run a sub 2:50 in PITTsburgh and qualified for Boston.
Congrats to you running the half and fulls !

Last edited:
Reactions: prez41
Not as many that happen from playing football. For you smart asses, there were 22 people treated in hospitals, all for minor conditions....turned ankles, some dehydration, elevated temperatures. That's out of over 25,000 runners. And no deaths. In one football game, you'll get more turned ankles, dehydration, broken bones and more serious conditions than in a marathon. And many that play football will die someday from CTE.

Ignorance is no excuse to ask dumb questions.

Reactions: Jogging for Idiots
They say that, on average, the rate of death in marathons is around 1 per 5,000 people. I believe that the Pittsburgh Marathon has consistently been below this number.

I ran up and down Corrigan rd yesterday, not quite 26 miles, closer to four, and flat too, and by run it was more of a jog with sporadic bursts of a light run. I only stopped once, for the red light.

Thank you all for your well wishes, I am recovering fine and will do it again with all of you in my thoughts..

I am 56 and did Pittsburgh Marathon and it was great in retrospect. Some points during it were painful and I questioned myself extensively. But anyone can do it. I truly believe that. If you follow the training and recognize your limitations it is a task than can be accomplished. Two years ago I did Philly Marathon and finished in 4 hours, 30 minutes and 27 seconds. This year, two years older and I finished in 4 hours, 18 minutes and 54 seconds. I took walk breaks for about 60 seconds when needed and still did better two years later.

The marathon is sometimes an anticlimax from the sixteen weeks of training you do. The training is the tough part because you generally are alone running and sincerely your mind is telling you to quit many, many times. The marathon has you surrounded by like minded goof balls who keep you going.

I wore my script Pitt running shirt and got a pick up every time someone said "Hail to Pitt" or "Go Pitt" all along the route.

I am 56 and did Pittsburgh Marathon and it was great in retrospect. Some points during it were painful and I questioned myself extensively. But anyone can do it. I truly believe that. If you follow the training and recognize your limitations it is a task than can be accomplished. Two years ago I did Philly Marathon and finished in 4 hours, 30 minutes and 27 seconds. This year, two years older and I finished in 4 hours, 18 minutes and 54 seconds. I took walk breaks for about 60 seconds when needed and still did better two years later.

The marathon is sometimes an anticlimax from the sixteen weeks of training you do. The training is the tough part because you generally are alone running and sincerely your mind is telling you to quit many, many times. The marathon has you surrounded by like minded goof balls who keep you going.

I wore my script Pitt running shirt and got a pick up every time someone said "Hail to Pitt" or "Go Pitt" all along the route.

So you heard me yell "Hail to Pitt"?

Congrats on your times and doing the marathon! It's more than physical, as you know. A lot (more than 50%) of running is between your ears. Your will and character need to be strong if you want to finish let alone do a PB. Marathons aren't for pussies. Keep it up. I'll be in it next year again. Also running the EQT 10-miler this November.

You're so right about the training, then what seems like a letdown or anti-climax during the Marathon. The Marathon is the training. The race is just the end of that part of the training and the part where you get to do this with thousands of others and achieve a goal. It's the fun part.

Are you doing any other marathons this year?

So you heard me yell "Hail to Pitt"?

Congrats on your times and doing the marathon! It's more than physical, as you know. A lot (more than 50%) of running is between your ears. Your will and character need to be strong if you want to finish let alone do a PB. Marathons aren't for pussies. Keep it up. I'll be in it next year again. Also running the EQT 10-miler this November.

You're so right about the training, then what seems like a letdown or anti-climax during the Marathon. The Marathon is the training. The race is just the end of that part of the training and the part where you get to do this with thousands of others and achieve a goal. It's the fun part.

Are you doing any other marathons this year?

No. A lot going on remainder of year. Thought of doing philly again but just no time this fall.

Not as many that happen from playing football. For you smart asses, there were 22 people treated in hospitals, all for minor conditions....turned ankles, some dehydration, elevated temperatures. That's out of over 25,000 runners. And no deaths. In one football game, you'll get more turned ankles, dehydration, broken bones and more serious conditions than in a marathon. And many that play football will die someday from CTE.

Ignorance is no excuse to ask dumb questions.

football is played far more often than these marathons

what's next? cars are more dangerous than guns? maybe because more people use cars

For people that have not run or trained for one will never understand...

"Train smart train often"

Last edited:
Reactions: BuffetParrothead
football is played far more often than these marathons

what's next? cars are more dangerous than guns? maybe because more people use cars

I can tell you wouldn't understand, just by your reply to my post.

Like I said before, ignorance is no excuse. Stick to things that aren't over your head.

I can tell you wouldn't understand, just by your reply to my post.

Like I said before, ignorance is no excuse. Stick to things that aren't over your head.

I lost 100 pounds and got all of my vitals in check by running and watching what I eat, but yeah, running is bad.

The level of stupid and ignorant on this board is astounding at times.

Back a bunch of years before I got married and a few years after getting married and having kids I ran with a running club.
I mostly ran 5 mile and 10k runs, with some 15k's mixed in. I was a decent runner with my best 5 mile time 30 mins 10 sec and my best 10k 39 mins 42 secs both on flat courses.
One time and it was the last time I ran a half marathon and I was so bored it was my last run over 10k. Luckily it was a flat half marathon in Fairfield CT on the roads next to the LISound beach.
My goal was to average 7.5 minute miles which I did for ten miles, hit the wall at ten miles, ran two 10 minute miles, finished with an 8 minute mile, found Mrs Buffett and the kids went to the beach and drank about 6 Coors Lights to recover!
The halfs and marathons aren't for everyone even if you run alot! They're a different mental game.

"it's five o'clock somewhere"
Signed: Mr Buffett
Go PITT & CSU Rams!

Back a bunch of years before I got married and a few years after getting married and having kids I ran with a running club.
I mostly ran 5 mile and 10k runs, with some 15k's mixed in. I was a decent runner with my best 5 mile time 30 mins 10 sec and my best 10k 39 mins 42 secs both on flat courses.
One time and it was the last time I ran a half marathon and I was so bored it was my last run over 10k. Luckily it was a flat half marathon in Fairfield CT on the roads next to the LISound beach.
My goal was to average 7.5 minute miles which I did for ten miles, hit the wall at ten miles, ran two 10 minute miles, finished with an 8 minute mile, found Mrs Buffett and the kids went to the beach and drank about 6 Coors Lights to recover!
The halfs and marathons aren't for everyone even if you run alot! They're a different mental game.

Go PITT & CSU Rams!

Buffet, decent 5 mile time !

Many years ago I trained with the best in the area and we often had two time gold medal winner from our University of PITTsburgh run track workouts with us... Rodger Kingdom. I remember running 1/4 mile repeats in 56-58 seconds and Rodger dropping some like a bad habit.
I've clocked a 4:21 mile, low 16's 5K, 33 min.and change 10K.. I miss hitting the pavement !

[QUOTE="PipersPitt, post: 2310386, member: 55918"]how many ended up in the hospital this year? how many deaths?[/QUOTE]

Who cares and it's certainly not your business. Are you one of those who wants to regulate how much fun and risk people are allowed to take??

A guy in our area died of a heart attack sitting on his porch not to long ago.

People choose these things because the like to push the envelope, take a risk, do something that others can't or don't want to do. It's all about the adrenalin rush during or when its done like completing a marathon.
Like:
rock climb
cliff jump
bridge jump
sky dive
car race
motocross
cage fight
downhill & single track mountain bike - we do this another adenalin junkies favorite.
We're in Pittsburgh over the Memorial Day holiday to attend the Pirates games and mtn bike at North Park.
extreme ski - in fact Mrs Buffett is one of those "adrenalin junkies."
I don't go on those trips I stay in bounds, ski the mountain while
she with two of her friends, plus a few others, hire a guide, pay for a
helicoper and ski out of bounds.
Most survive but some get separated from their group and become
popcicles
. Others get caught in avalances, fall in crevases or get injured falling down a steep face.
That's why people do this stuff they need the adrenalin rush of taking a risk.
Believe me I'm married to one of them and it's like air they need it to survive.

Go PITT & CSU Rams!

Last edited:

Go PITT & CSU Rams!

I went the other way. I don’t like to run fast, but like distance. I completed the JFK50 in November and I am now training for the Laurel Highlands Ultra (70 Miler) in June. I absolutely love trail running.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT