ADVERTISEMENT

Green Tree Memories

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
Miss that league. Was really fun while it lasted. Loved the vibe of players from different schools playing with and against each other and seeing some smaller school dudes like the Novak kid from UPJ excel.

I saw a meme recently where David Bertans had 0 points, rebounds, steals, and assists, while playing 24 minutes in the NBA. It made me remember that Malcolm Gilbert once recorded 0 rebounds in a summer league game. He was one of the worst players in the H-D era and one of about 10 Centers in a row who were completely awful. Hard to believe we couldn't luck into one. Couldn't there be a Fede or GDG somewhere in that 6-7 year period?

First time I met Chris Peak was there, and right after a 4 star DL committed to Pitt. Of course he decommitted when Wanny was fired but it was still cool. I met quite a few Lair posters at the Sportsplex, some of whom became real life friends, and I also got to meet Harve there a couple times. It was definitely a cool time and place, even if the internet never worked.

Reactions: whirlybird optio
First time I met Chris Peak was there, and right after a 4 star DL committed to Pitt. Of course he decommitted when Wanny was fired but it was still cool. I met quite a few Lair posters at the Sportsplex, some of whom became real life friends, and I also got to meet Harve there a couple times. It was definitely a cool time and place, even if the internet never worked.

I think this is where we met for the first time also?

I was driving home inbound in the Parkway West today through Green Tree thinking about this today.

Couple weeks ago, I was looking all the names of the names of the folks who responded the fundraising pitch I did for the league (you included). Lots of great names who I haven't heard from in a while.

My favorite memories were from the summer of 2008. In one game, DeJuan pulled down the entire backboard. In other game, Sam Young arrived at the last possible second for a game and ran right onto the court to start. The refs had to stop him for a moment so that he would take off his jewelry. He handed his necklaces to me at the scorers table, then he ran back on the court for the opening tip. The opening tip went directly to him, and he immediately turned around and took and made the shot from three.

I still have the photo of Stephen Adams picking up my then 7 year old kid so that he could slam dunk.

I was driving home inbound in the Parkway West today through Green Tree thinking about this today.

Couple weeks ago, I was looking all the names of the names of the folks who responded the fundraising pitch I did for the league (you included). Lots of great names who I haven't heard from in a while.

My favorite memories were from the summer of 2008. In one game, DeJuan pulled down the entire backboard. In other game, Sam Young arrived at the last possible second for a game and ran right onto the court to start. The refs had to stop him for a moment so that he would take off his jewelry. He handed his necklaces to me at the scorers table, then he ran back on the court for the opening tip. The opening tip went directly to him, and he immediately turned around and took and made the shot from three.

I still have the photo of Stephen Adams picking up my then 7 year old kid so that he could slam dunk.
Summer 2008 was great. I also remember the first time Steven Adams walked in the gym. Truly jaw dropping.

Also remember the summer where I was convinced that John Johnson was going to not just be good, but great at Pitt. Lol. Oh well.

I missed that Blair dunk. He pulled down the whole backboard as in he broke it? How did they fix it? But I was there the 1st time he played after his rookie season. Walked in with an entourage and went up vs Khem Birch. I remember Khem Birch looking very disappointing that year. I think we were all thinking it but didnt want to say it. He looked like your typical big ranked 80-125 or so.

To the other poster about John Johnson, yea I was sure he and JJ Moore were going to be stars. Those 2 dominated. I remember one game where I felt legit bad for Isaiah Epps because John Johnson made him look D3 (which he ended up being). Epps had to go down as one of the most overrated players in Big East history. He retired after averaging 9 PPG at Monroe College (a JUCO).

I have a shirt somewhere from when I donated. Never made it out to the league but loved the reports.

I missed that Blair dunk. He pulled down the whole backboard as in he broke it? How did they fix it? But I was there the 1st time he played after his rookie season. Walked in with an entourage and went up vs Khem Birch. I remember Khem Birch looking very disappointing that year. I think we were all thinking it but didnt want to say it. He looked like your typical big ranked 80-125 or so.

To the other poster about John Johnson, yea I was sure he and JJ Moore were going to be stars. Those 2 dominated. I remember one game where I felt legit bad for Isaiah Epps because John Johnson made him look D3 (which he ended up being). Epps had to go down as one of the most overrated players in Big East history. He retired after averaging 9 PPG at Monroe College (a JUCO).
Blair pulled down the whole apparatus which was just sitting on the floor with a weighted base. So it was more like it just tipped over and it just needed to be pushed back.

Birch has 2 points and 1 rebound in his first game. He improved though.

Yea but he really never looked good.

Did Gilbert really have 0 rebounds in a game?
I don’t have any specific memory one way or another about Gilbert. I’ll have to go back and see if I have the individual game stats saved anywhere.

But yes, Birch improved but it was more to the tune of games like 12 and 8. It was clear he still had a way to go.

Even Dante Taylor had 14 and 8 in his first Green Tree game and his performance there was considered a bit underwhelming.

I don’t have any specific memory one way or another about Gilbert. I’ll have to go back and see if I have the individual game stats saved anywhere.

But yes, Birch improved but it was more to the tune of games like 12 and 8. It was clear he still had a way to go.

Even Dante Taylor had 14 and 8 in his first Green Tree game and his performance there was considered a bit underwhelming.

Taylor was alarmingly underwhelming at Green Tree and when Birch started playing I thought "oh no, not again." I didnt want to post it on here but I didnt think he was very good....and he wasnt for years.

Greentree was simply the best. Great atmosphere. My favorite memory was T. J. McConnell ‘s first night after he graduated from high school. He was so pumped to play against Woodall & Gibbs. He played his ass off to show the Pitt guards. Even though he played exceptionally well & demonstrated some amazing anticipation, I don’t think anyone imagined he’d be an NBA player. Kudos to T. J.

Greentree was simply the best. Great atmosphere. My favorite memory was T. J. McConnell ‘s first night after he graduated from high school. He was so pumped to play against Woodall & Gibbs. He played his ass off to show the Pitt guards. Even though he played exceptionally well & demonstrated some amazing anticipation, I don’t think anyone imagined he’d be an NBA player. Kudos to T. J.

I was there that night. He played Gibbs even up in front of about 30 of his HS friends. I raved all summer about how good he was and nobody believed it. That said, I never would have thought he would play in the NBA. I did think he was Big East good but only AFTER I saw him at Green Tree. People on here say I said we should have offered him and all that. I actually never said we should have. He committed to Duquesne so early that he was an afterthought. Plus he didnt blow up until his senior year and even then I figured he'd just be a decent A10 guard. But watching him at Green Tree made me realize he was Big East good.

Wasn’t McConnell around 5’8” 160 pounds his senior year then sprouted? I remember his rivals profile was posted on here a few years ago and I was surprised at how small he was listed. Another case of bad luck for Dixon as a point guard of that caliber in his backyard being a late bloomer physically.

Jon Miller has Greentree court time all sucked up for his camps. If anyone is driving through, stop by and tell him how wonderful he and his family are.

i was there that game, my buddy coached the one team. mcconnell was covering gibbs and most of the game was just holding on to his shirt, looked like he was water skiing off of him.

I told my buddy who was the coach, this kid stinks. lol, obviously my scouting skills wont lead me to any high paying jobs in hoops any time soon..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT