Unbelievable we couldn't design a gameplan to outscore that team

This is what their scoring this year vs FBS teams

Clemson: 10
Ole Miss: 0
UCF: 10
Pitt: 26
Duke: 23 (3 of which came in OT)
UVa: 9

I know we've talked about this before but that's really one of the worst losses in Pitt history.

The team apparently stayed out partying until 3am and slept through meetings and practice all week.

We have folks blaming formations. They should have been able to line up in the triple option and beat this team.

I know we've talked about this before but that's really one of the worst losses in Pitt history.
They're chasing 2015 Boston College. BC scored 100 points combined vs Howard and Maine, but then scored only 106 total points against their 10 FBS opponents.

The team apparently stayed out partying until 3am and slept through meetings and practice all week.

We have folks blaming formations. They should have been able to line up in the triple option and beat this team.

LOL. Pitt would have easily won that game with a couple offensive coaching adjustments.

Western Michigan last year was worse. Pitt probably would have been in the playoffs if they won that game. It's overlooked because we still won 11 games for first time in 30 years, But again lack of any credible game day coaching and adjustments killed us.

The loss was not only bad by itself, it has pretty much squashed enthusiasm for the remainder of the season. It can be seen in the dearth of meaningful threads about the actual team on this board. The OT threads are dominating as if it were June and not mid October. There had been a chance, slim as it were (and mostly delusional it turns out), for a special season. Ten was an ‘acceptable’ loss particularly after their win over Alabama last week. GT was a killer. A program with PTSD fans such as ours can’t afford to lose games like that, especially home games. The time hitting 0:00 in that one may as well been the clock striking midnight at Cinderella’s house.

Western Michigan last year was worse. Pitt probably would have been in the playoffs if they won that game. It's overlooked because we still won 11 games for first time in 30 years, But again lack of any credible game day coaching and adjustments killed us.
WMU eventually did become a much worse loss in context with the whole 2021 season, but where the season was heading wasn’t clear at the time. So it didn’t produce the same level of letdown as there was walking out of GT. There had been more expectations for this year’s team at the same respective times that these losses occurred. And yes it is clear now that those expectations for this season were unreasonable, but it wasn’t clear before that game.

Reactions: h2p_5150
The notion Narduzzi had avoided the infamous "bad loss" until the WMU game is a fallacy on here.

2017: UNC was 2-9 against the FBS. Wins were Pitt and Old Dominion.

2018: UNC was 1-9 against the FBS. Only win was against Pitt. They lost to East Carolina 41-19 the game before they played us and they lost to Miami 47-10 the game they played after us.

Those may not be as bad as a Youngstown State loss, but they're on par with those MAC losses (name brand is the only difference).

And then that BC 2019 game was also up there. Yes, they were 6-6. But they quit after their coach became a lame duck, basically. They lost the game before ours 40-7. And they tried getting their bowl game - the game after ours, which they lost 38-6, canceled at halftime when the weather became inclement. Yes: The team basically said they had enough and tried to get the game canceled. And we let that team beat us at home.

Reactions: Jim Z and CJsE

I don't think, at 12-1, we'd have gotten in over a 13-0 Cincinnati, just because I think they were content giving them the lifetime achievement award. Would have been a tough call. You definitely couldn't put a one-loss ND team over them, because Cincinnati beat them (plus ND played about as easy of a schedule as it ever has). But a one-loss conference champion who beat some decent but not great teams would have been interesting.

The defensive gameplan vs WMU and offensive gameplan vs GT were 2 of the worst in Pitt history and that's not hyperbole. 2 of the worst coaching performances ever.

The defensive gameplan vs WMU and offensive gameplan vs GT were 2 of the worst in Pitt history and that's not hyperbole. 2 of the worst coaching performances ever.

The game plan this year seems to be to come out in a two tight-end set (with or without a fullback) and see if the power running game (i.e. between the tackles) is working. If it's not, do something that does work before returning to it. It's odd, to say the least.

But the GT game was classic Narduzzi paranoia at the beginning. They got gashed with the run their previous few games, so let's line up in a power formation and throw it three times... because they think we'll take advantage of that weakness.

Absolutely nothing is going to change after the bye week. That's the thing about Narduzzi: When you think there is no possible way he can continue down a certain path, he does just that almost every time. 2016 man coverage... the second half against WMU in 2021... almost every time. And he'll do it again, especially now with Bradley off the team (wasn't great, but we have no depth).

Fans always think that the last bad loss was “the worst in Pitt history”

A team’s worse loss, is measured by whether or not it dramatically changes the school’s history, fortunes, long term upward trajectory, etc…The GT loss doesn’t even come close to doing that.

The WMU loss last season comes the closest in recent years to changing the dynamics of the program. The loss prevented us from getting a shot at the playoffs. Getting into the playoffs changes perception…

Bad losses that changed trajectory and schools fortunes? Try these:

* 48-14

* Losing to Cincinnati for the Big East title in 2009

* Losing to FSU IN 1980…

Those were a few of the worse losses in Pitt history….

GT was an embarrassing loss, nothing more…

A team’s worse loss, is measured by whether or not it dramatically changes the school’s history, fortunes, long term upward trajectory, etc…The GT loss doesn’t even come close to doing that.

The WMU loss last season comes the closest in recent years to changing the dynamics of the program. The loss prevented us from getting a shot at the playoffs. Getting into the playoffs changes perception…

* 48-14

* Losing to FSU IN 1980…

I mostly agree. Although I still have a weird feeling that the wheels might yet come off for this team. If that does happen, the GT loss would no doubt be one of the factors that expedited the process. So if we go from ACC Champions seemingly poised to turn the corner and take a big step as a program to losing a bunch of guys and falling right back down into the annual 6-6/7-5 pack, then I might rethink the significance of losing a a game like that.

I don't think, at 12-1, we'd have gotten in over a 13-0 Cincinnati, just because I think they were content giving them the lifetime achievement award. Would have been a tough call. You definitely couldn't put a one-loss ND team over them, because Cincinnati beat them (plus ND played about as easy of a schedule as it ever has). But a one-loss conference champion who beat some decent but not great teams would have been interesting.
I look more at the Miami FL loss more keeping us out of the playoff instead of WMU. WMU just flat out beat us, our defense couldn’t stop them when needed multiple times.

Miami FL game, I think we were a bad pass from Pickett ending up as an interception instead of an Addison TD away from winning that game. We win that Miami game and an Auburn RB not running out of bounds against Alabama would have put us in a toss up with ND for the last playoff spot. Cincy would have been in but Alabama wouldn’t have had they lost that Auburn game. Heisman race would have also been a lot closer without Bryce Young having that opportunity for the end of Auburn game heroics.

I mostly agree. Although I still have a weird feeling that the wheels might yet come off for this team. If that does happen, the GT loss would no doubt be one of the factors that expedited the process. So if we go from ACC Champions seemingly poised to turn the corner and take a big step as a program to losing a bunch of guys and falling right back down into the annual 6-6/7-5 pack, then I might rethink the significance of losing a a game like that.
That’s why the GT loss is worse. It was a kick in the face (perhaps lower on the body) that this team is another of the 6-6/7-5 variety. That alone is not impactful to the psyche but up against the EXPECTATION that the season could be much more is why it is painful. The more realistic among us now realize that every game hereafter is a toss up, and any opponent that can shut down our run game fairly well probably can beat us pretty easily. Just as GT did.

The WMU loss wasn’t as such at the same point in the season as this. Beside it was still early in the season, and expectations for the rest of the season were still not very high and had not been high to begin with. Only at the end could you look back and realize, wow, that hideous loss back then is really hurting us now, “if only…”.

You have to place losses like this into the full context and not just that isolated week.

Last edited:
Sure, offensive coaching adjustments always fix dropped passes (and interceptions), penalties, fumbles, poor blocking and bad QB play.

They can. Seems running straight into 9 guys over and over can increase the risk of fumbling.

* 48-14

* Losing to FSU IN 1980…

By point spread, it may have been the worst loss in history.

The loss was not only bad by itself, it has pretty much squashed enthusiasm for the remainder of the season. It can be seen in the dearth of meaningful threads about the actual team on this board. The OT threads are dominating as if it were June and not mid October. There had been a chance, slim as it were (and mostly delusional it turns out), for a special season. Ten was an ‘acceptable’ loss particularly after their win over Alabama last week. GT was a killer. A program with PTSD fans such as ours can’t afford to lose games like that, especially home games. The time hitting 0:00 in that one may as well been the clock striking midnight at Cinderella’s house.
Exactly. I mentioned how it was basically the end of the season.

Exactly. I mentioned how it was basically the end of the season.
Logically of course that isn’t true. There were many games left, it hadn’t meant anything mathematically for winning the division or even the ACC itself. But sports fandom by definition is about emotion. Why would any of us bother with this unless we had a chance for the “thrill of victory?” And with a conference championship under our belt and high expectations coming in, “victory” no longer meant the typical Pitt 7-5 ceiling. The next level was a Top 10 showing.

Losing to TN narrowly was “ok” because we recognized that TN was a very good team, we likely win the game if not for QB injuries, etc. And we knew that if we went through the season with that loss alone, we’d at least be the neighborhood we wanted to be in as long as we could TCB against what seemed like (and still does) a group of underwhelming gibrones in our division.

But the GT loss demolished so many of those notions. We blew our chance at the original dream, which was bad enough. And we played (and coached) so poorly in it, lost to a team that is so bad, that it seemed to blow even the consolation prize of winning the ACC championship… or heck, even the lowly division. We weren’t just playing lowly gibrones, we learned in the GT game the painful truth that WE are lowly gibrones ourselves. All these games we thought before the GT game that we could be safely confident to win, are actually 50/50. At best. And maybe less, given additional injuries and defections.

Mathematically it was only one game, but it exposed that the team (and coaches) have gaps probably too extensive to run the table in the rest, which we probably will have to do now to recover from losing the most obvious gimme. That’s why it was so costly.

Last edited:
Logically of course that isn’t true. There were many games left, it hadn’t meant anything mathematically for winning the division or even the ACC itself. But sports fandom by definition is about emotion. Why would any of us bother with this unless we had a chance for the “thrill of victory?” And with a conference championship under our belt and high expectations coming in, “victory” no longer meant the typical Pitt 7-5 ceiling. The next level was a Top 10 showing.

Losing to TN narrowly was “ok” because we recognized that TN was a very good team, we likely win the game if not for QB injuries, etc. And we knew that if we went through the season with that loss alone, we’d at least be the neighborhood we wanted to be in as long as we could TCB against what seemed like (and still does) a group of underwhelming gibrones in our division.

But the GT loss demolished so many of those notions. We blew our chance at the original dream, which was bad enough. And we played (and coached) so poorly in it, lost to a team that is so bad, that it seemed to blow even the consolation prize of winning the ACC championship… or heck, even the lowly division. We weren’t just playing lowly gibrones, we learned in the GT game the painful truth that WE are lowly gibrones ourselves. All these games we thought before the GT game that we could be safely confident to win, are actually 50/50. At best. And maybe less, given additional injuries and defections.

Mathematically it was only one game, but it exposed that the team (and coaches) have gaps probably too extensive to run the table in the rest, which we probably will have to do now to recover from losing the most obvious gimme. That’s why it was so costly.

That game completely sucked the life out of me. Instead of being excited for the VT, and now Louisville, games, I keep wondering what would have to happen for me to get excited about this season again.

I think it would have been one thing to not win the Coastal because a top ten Miami team finally lived up to its expectations. But not winning the division in this state just feels like a completely squandered opportunity. And the bowls don't matter anymore, so we'll know in about 8 days (hopefully not sooner) if this season is even still worth following.

They can. Seems running straight into 9 guys over and over can increase the risk of fumbling.
I'll remind you again that they dropped back to pass 47 times in that game and ran it 27, and one of the two fumbles came out of a spread formation. But, I know you aren't interested in facts.

That game completely sucked the life out of me. Instead of being excited for the VT, and now Louisville, games, I keep wondering what would have to happen for me to get excited about this season again.

I think it would have been one thing to not win the Coastal because a top ten Miami team finally lived up to its expectations. But not winning the division in this state just feels like a completely squandered opportunity. And the bowls don't matter anymore, so we'll know in about 8 days (hopefully not sooner) if this season is even still worth following.
If Pitt wins the next 2 road games and returns home vs Cuse with a shot at coastal title in November I think that’ll spark some interest.

I'll remind you again that they dropped back to pass 47 times in that game and ran it 27, and one of the two fumbles came out of a spread formation. But, I know you aren't interested in facts.
I mean, it was spread bunch. So the least spread you can spread.

According to ESPN it was 47-29 pass to run and 15 of those pass plays came in the final 4 minutes of the game and also accounted for 40% of our total yards. 20 of those pass plays came in the final 3 drives.

If Pitt wins the next 2 road games and returns home vs Cuse with a shot at coastal title in November I think that’ll spark some interest.
I agree that it would. It just seems unlikely, given how we have played (and coached), that this team is capable of winning all these games. Or really, many games at all.
And that’s a hell of a bad feeling for fans to have. That’s what one particularly bad loss at a bad time can do.

If they lose the next 2, the crowd will be 41K. If they win the next 2, the crowd will be 41,500

I mean, it was spread bunch. So the least spread you can spread.

According to ESPN it was 47-29 pass to run and 15 of those pass plays came in the final 4 minutes of the game and also accounted for 40% of our total yards. 20 of those pass plays came in the final 3 drives.
I'm pretty sure Slovis wasn't running, a WR never carried the ball, and our backs carried it 27 times. Even without the last 15 plays they still threw it more than ran it. Teams usually throw the ball when they're down multiple scores and it's late in the game. I'm sure they could have run it successfully against a prevent too.

If you think the GT loss was anywhere near as devistating as 48-14 you ought not be here.

If you think the GT loss was anywhere near as devistating as 48-14 you ought not be here.
For like the millionth time, I personally am talking about point spread losses. It was historic. I believe that only the 2001 USF loss beats it and that gets a bit of an *** because that was when Walt Harris switched his offense to the Spread and we started 1-5 and then he switched it back and we finished 6-0

Don't know about Pitt history, because there have been many more then the GT debacle. That being said, it will certainly be the worst one for 2022.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT