ADVERTISEMENT

Moe-bservations NCAAT Selection Brackets - from an ACC perspective

Chairman Moe

All Conference
Nov 4, 2003
Just around the corner from Paradise
-- I was unable to watch the show "live"
-- The almost "immediate" announcement (Midwest Bracket came second) of Pitt playing the play-in game vs Miss St put me in a mixed mood, but I should've anticipated this when they showed NC State as an 11 vs Creighton in the South. NC State was always ahead of us (still a head-scratcher, IMO), so I figured then we might be in the play-in game. NC State will have a tough go of it in that region
-- UVA as a 4 must've been because Van der Plas (sp?) was not available for the ACCT final, but if I am Duke - as a 5 - I have to be licking my chops. I think their bracket provides them an easy chance to get to the Elite Eight and maybe the FF. The East Region looks very winnable for them
-- UVA on the other hand will have their hands full in the South Region, with a potential matchup with SD State and/or Alabama
-- Miami looks set up to face Houston for a chance to get to the EE, too. Like their draw
-- Clemson's absence is strictly due to their bad losses and SOS. They will certainly be a favorite among the NIT participants

-- Now on to Pitt ...

The positives: 1) Two days off should they win against MSU 2) Iowa State lost twice to WVU, so the tapes will be useful as Coach Capel and staff review their games vs the Hoopies and ours 3) Greensboro - as others have said, this team played two recent games there and will at least know something more about the court/lighting/etc in the first round 4) Possible "chip on their shoulder" mentality having to play an extra game

The negatives: 1) Having to play an extra game 2) MSU plays effective defense, and despite being the worst team in the nation with 3-point FG %tage, it always seems that a poor shooting team can rise to the occasion against our defense

Looking at the "bright side": We are in the NCAAT after a seven year drought; we have a veteran team that may want to prove that their record is worthy of that seed and then some

I hope that there will be a vocal support group for the Panthers in Dayton. Let the tournament begin on Tuesday, and Hail to Pitt!!

-- I was unable to watch the show "live"
-- The almost "immediate" announcement (Midwest Bracket came second) of Pitt playing the play-in game vs Miss St put me in a mixed mood, but I should've anticipated this when they showed NC State as an 11 vs Creighton in the South. NC State was always ahead of us (still a head-scratcher, IMO), so I figured then we might be in the play-in game. NC State will have a tough go of it in that region
-- UVA as a 4 must've been because Van der Plas (sp?) was not available for the ACCT final, but if I am Duke - as a 5 - I have to be licking my chops. I think their bracket provides them an easy chance to get to the Elite Eight and maybe the FF. The East Region looks very winnable for them
-- UVA on the other hand will have their hands full in the South Region, with a potential matchup with SD State and/or Alabama
-- Miami looks set up to face Houston for a chance to get to the EE, too. Like their draw
-- Clemson's absence is strictly due to their bad losses and SOS. They will certainly be a favorite among the NIT participants

-- Now on to Pitt ...

The positives: 1) Two days off should they win against MSU 2) Iowa State lost twice to WVU, so the tapes will be useful as Coach Capel and staff review their games vs the Hoopies and ours 3) Greensboro - as others have said, this team played two recent games there and will at least know something more about the court/lighting/etc in the first round 4) Possible "chip on their shoulder" mentality having to play an extra game

The negatives: 1) Having to play an extra game 2) MSU plays effective defense, and despite being the worst team in the nation with 3-point FG %tage, it always seems that a poor shooting team can rise to the occasion against our defense

Looking at the "bright side": We are in the NCAAT after a seven year drought; we have a veteran team that may want to prove that their record is worthy of that seed and then some

I hope that there will be a vocal support group for the Panthers in Dayton. Let the tournament begin on Tuesday, and Hail to Pitt!!
When it comes to the NCAAT, you’re either IN or you’re OUT. Pitt is IN!

And IF PItt can get past MS St. (BIG IF no doubt) their path doesn’t look to be insurmountable for the next couple of rounds.

So we’ll see.

Absolutely, the question is can we repeat some outstanding shooting performances as we have this year? If so, we could make a serious run. Can Nelly limit turnovers, can JB continue to dominate in the mid-range? Can Blake be lights out from beyond the arc? Lets go PITT!!!

When it comes to the NCAAT, you’re either IN or you’re OUT. Pitt is IN!

And IF PItt can get past MS St. (BIG IF no doubt) their path doesn’t look to be insurmountable for the next couple of rounds.

So we’ll see.
I agree with that. Texas is the strongest seed in our half of the region. Penn State got a reasonable first round game; if both they and Texas win the first round, their matchup will be a tough contest

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT