ADVERTISEMENT

Guys walking on Senior Night

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
Its always interesting with the Covid years now.

Burton/Elliot - out of eligibility

Nelly/Nike - out of eligibility but with an *
- both didnt fully participate in the Covid season for different reasons. Nike wasnt ruled eligible until around the 5th game. In Nelly's case, the Patriot League didnt play until the 2nd semester. It would defy logic to grant waivers based on missed games during a "free season" but nothing the NCAA does is logical. They granted a full additional year to last-year UVa football players because they missed their final 2 games after the tragic shooting. Although much different circumstances, that provides some precedent in that they gave an extra year on the extra year so to speak. I don't believe that either player
would be granted a waiver but it cant hurt to write it up.

- Hinson - this is his 5th year in college but only his 3rd year playing.

FR - Ole Miss
SO - Ole Miss
JR - Iowa State (DNP) - covid year
JR again - Iowa State - DNP
5th year senior - Pitt

He has a minimum of 1 year left but then could petition for another one based on not playing in the Covid year. Not sure it would be granted.

Last edited:

Greg Elliot - out of eligibility

- both didnt fully participate in the Covid season for different reasons. Nike wasnt ruled eligible until around the 5th game. In Nelly's case, the Patriot League didnt play until the 2nd semester. It would defy logic to grant waivers based on missed games during a "free season" but nothing the NCAA does is logical. They granted a full additional year to last-year UVa football players because they missed their final 2 games after the tragic shooting. Although much different circumstances, that provides some precedent in that they gave an extra year on the extra year so to speak. I don't believe that either player

- Hinson - this is his 4th year in college but only his 3rd year playing.

FR - Ole Miss
SO - Ole Miss
5th year senior - Pitt

He has a minimum of 1 year left but then could petition for another one based on not playing in the Covid year. Not sure it would be granted.
Hinson has another year? Interesting.

FR - Ole Miss
SO - Ole Miss
5th year senior - Pitt

Hinson has already confirmed he’s coming back. I can’t imagine any of the guards returning.

Next year it’s Dior, the 2 freshman, santos, and at least one transfer guard. The good news is our frontcourt should be elite, esp if Hugley returns.

Reactions: BreakingPitt
Hinson has already confirmed he’s coming back. I can’t imagine any of the guards returning.

Next year it’s Dior, the 2 freshman, santos, and at least one transfer guard. The good news is our frontcourt should be elite, esp if Hugley returns.
He did ? Nice
Lowe
Dior
Carrington
Hinson
Fede
Hopefully someone else leaves and we have 2 spots for transfers.

He did ? Nice
Lowe
Dior
Carrington
Hinson
Fede
Hopefully someone else leaves and we have 2 spots for transfers.

I think Hugley leaves and Santos transfers down

PG - Dior
SG - transfer or Lowe
SF - transfer
PF - Hinson
C - Fede

Bench
Twins
Jeffress
3 frosh

FR - Ole Miss
SO - Ole Miss
5th year senior - Pitt

Serious question from a hardcore fan, but not a basketball expert. I, like most, have been unhappy with JC's tenure (up until this year). This team is one of my all time favorites, however, and I go back to the Eastern 8 days. I just love watching them play and have so much confidence in their toughness and fearlessness.

Is anyone concerned that this is a one year blip where all the stars happened to align, and that we might go right back to where we were for the last several years? I just think so much of Greg, Nelly, and Nike, and I worry that them leaving the program might take away what is so special about this team. I'd love to hear reasons to be positive regarding next year and beyond!

Serious question from a hardcore fan, but not a basketball expert. I, like most, have been unhappy with JC's tenure (up until this year). This team is one of my all time favorites, however, and I go back to the Eastern 8 days. I just love watching them play and have so much confidence in their toughness and fearlessness.

Is anyone concerned that this is a one year blip where all the stars happened to align, and that we might go right back to where we were for the last several years? I just think so much of Greg, Nelly, and Nike, and I worry that them leaving the program might take away what is so special about this team. I'd love to hear reasons to be positive regarding next year and beyond!
I don't think they'll revert back to only winning 5 or 6 conference games, but a regression from this year is a definite possibility. Hopefully making the NIT is our floor moving forward.

Reactions: levance2
Didn't know, but glad to hear Hinson is back. So him and Fede are the core and hopefully Dior is back too.
Wouldn't mind 1-3 (if possible, depending on #'s) transfers maybe. Have the 3 freshmen, the twins, Jeffress, maybe Santos, doubtful on Hugley...Capel and company NEED to be selling Pitt as a transfer destination. Look at the main players on the team. Pretty much ALL transfers! College basketball recruiting is crazy, so it'll be fun later on this season and the Summer.

I’m hoping that Capel has found his groove now. I’m not giving him a total pass but I’m sure it’s been hard to find footing to improve with the way things have changed drastically in college basketball over the last several years. Find a few older transfers every year to fill holes. Keep casting a broad net with recruiting including overseas. And prioritize character and toughness.

Some regression probably happens but there is enough upside where this team could be as good with one or two veteran guard transfers and improvement from Fede and the twins. Hard to be too dismissive given what this team has done vs expectations.

Yes and no. As the great Will Wade recently said, you cannot build a program anymore. You have to build a team.

I think there will be a lot of blips. Maybe next year, GT has a whole new team and wins the ACC. Every year, most teams will be like new teams so this absolutely can be a 1 year blip. That said, Capel has set himself up for success next year in that it would appear he will return key players.

With Ellis, Burton, Nike, and Nelly gone next year, we have a lot to replace at the guard position. Dior might be a wunderkind, but I would like to see Capel get a couple decent PG/2G from the transfer portal to add some leadership to that spot

With regards to @1963Uninvited concern about this being a "fluke" year, and the program reverts to winning 6 - 8 ACC conference games/yr ... I'm hoping the results of this year's team will rub off on the future transfer players and recruits. It is pretty clear that having a united locker room - with decent talent spread around several players - is a key to success in basketball; especially when you aren't loaded with all 4* and 5* players. Capel seems more competent this year during gameplay. He is using his timeouts more effectively, and he is trusting his players to use their basketball "smarts"

Hinson will be THE elite go-to scorer next year (he’s already the best all-around offensive player among several good guys this year). He should be one of the top scorers in the ACC — maybe a 20 ppg guy? It’s fun to know a guy like that is coming back, but putting together a competent backcourt will be the key to the season.

Reactions: Elsalvador
Hinson will be THE elite go-to scorer next year (he’s already the best all-around offensive player among several good guys this year). He should be one of the top scorers in the ACC — maybe a 20 ppg guy? It’s fun to know a guy like that is coming back, but putting together a competent backcourt will be the key to the season.
You really think Hinson is the best all around offensive player? Can’t say I agree, I think he’s pretty one-dimensional although that one dimension 3-pt shooting is very valuable to this team. Anything else he brings offensively is inconsistent from game to game and I consider it gravy in the games he does provide it.

You really think Hinson is the best all around offensive player? Can’t say I agree, I think he’s pretty one-dimensional although that one dimension 3-pt shooting is very valuable to this team. Anything else he brings offensively is inconsistent from game to game and I consider it gravy in the games he does provide it.
i think he scores the most on the team. but that doesnt necessarily make him the best all around offensive player.. I'd consider Hinson's value higher than "Gravy", basically our success is dependent on it. (Stolen from Chris Peak in another thread).

- When Hinson scores 20 or more, Pitt is 7-0
- When Hinson scores 16 or more, Pitt is 13-2
- When Hinson scores less than 16, Pitt is 6-6
- When Hinson scores 10 or less, Pitt is 2-3

If we needed a basket, i'd probably pick Burton though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Black Panther
i think he scores the most on the team. but that doesnt necessarily make him the best all around offensive player.. I'd consider Hinson's value higher than "Gravy", basically our success is dependent on it. (Stolen from Chris Peak in another thread).

- When Hinson scores 20 or more, Pitt is 7-0
- When Hinson scores 16 or more, Pitt is 13-2
- When Hinson scores less than 16, Pitt is 6-6
- When Hinson scores 10 or less, Pitt is 2-3

If we needed a basket, i'd probably pick Burton though.
I didn’t say Hinson’s value was gravy. I said any points he provides on offense other than 3-ptrs is gravy. His 3-pt shooting is extremely valuable to this team considering his make % and his range in 3-ptr’s. The rest of his offensive game is so inconsistent, I consider it gravy in games where he provides something other than the 3.

I didn’t say Hinson’s value was gravy. I said any points he provides on offense other than 3-ptrs is gravy. His 3-pt shooting is extremely valuable to this team considering his make % and his range in 3-ptr’s. The rest of his offensive game is so inconsistent, I consider it gravy in games where he provides something other than the 3.
that's basically the same for elliott too, and well cummings although he gets to the foul line at end of games and makes them..

i mean, that's pretty much our offense, primarily 3 point shots. that's our system. If it wasnt for our 3 point shooting production, we'd have 5 wins this year. that's not just Hinson, that's pitt.

Would like to know when he said he was coming back , I don't remember hearing anything official.
He will probably make the most money next year at Pitt I suppose.

I worry a little about this team if he is the primary option without other significant scorers. His game reminds me a little of Artis’ in that sometimes he tries to do too much on his own (similar body types as well). Artis struggled because we had any abysmal guard play and not many other options. Luckily I don’t think that will be the case next year.

Yes and no. As the great Will Wade recently said, you cannot build a program anymore. You have to build a team.

I think there will be a lot of blips. Maybe next year, GT has a whole new team and wins the ACC. Every year, most teams will be like new teams so this absolutely can be a 1 year blip. That said, Capel has set himself up for success next year in that it would appear he will return key players.
The unemployed Will Wade has had less success than Mark Few or Kelvin Sampson or Tony Bennett. Guys who built their program and know how to coach basketball. Yes player turnover is going to be higher even in programs with good chemistry, but it doesn't have to be a free for all every season.

Good thing is we shouldn't have a reset roster next year even if we lose some key guys. My guess is having around 6 guys who will play at least minutes return next year: Hinson, Jeffress (hope he improves...), Federiko, the twins and either Hugely or Santos who I think of as 50/50 odds. Santos is close with twins and Fede fwiw. Dior I will ignore for now and I wouldn't bet on him staying anywhere long. Three well recruited freshman, a couple transfers, I think it's potentially a strong team if the 4 star recruiting rankings mean anything.

Burton is the best all around offensive player and I would put Nelly ahead of Hinson also. Hinson is good 3pt threat, very valuable but nothing else. They both play point, they both score different ways. Burton posts and backs down his guy, both beat guys off the dribble, both shoot 3's, both great free throw shooters, both better passers, both better dribblers.

Burton is the best all around offensive player and I would put Nelly ahead of Hinson also. Hinson is good 3pt threat, very valuable but nothing else. They both play point, they both score different ways. Burton posts and backs down his guy, both beat guys off the dribble, both shoot 3's, both great free throw shooters, both better passers, both better dribblers.
All those dudes also more experience. Maybe Hinson turns another corner next year. Maybe not, but he likely breaking a 3 pt record next year for Pitt.

There is no such thing as an expert. It's impossible to say, as we really have no idea what the rosters are going to look like anywhere, when you get right down to it. We may think we know or have some idea, but we really won't until next season rolls around.

I'm not overly enamored with the talent level on this team. I would think that they can, and will put together a more talented roster in the future. That's a positive.

Rambling off topic some but, I'm not crazy about the roster at UVA or NCSU either. I think Miami, Duke, and UNC are the cream of the crop in the ACC in terms of talent. Duke is so young across the board, and they don't quite play with the same intensity on the defensive end that K's teams did for 40 minutes. They are getting better though. UNC, for whatever reason, is a trainwreck.

As of today, this team is projected to be an 8 to 10 seed, coming from a perceived weak ACC. However, there is a lot more basketball to be played. They are still in the mix for a league championship, both regular season and tourney. What's that mean? Hell if I know, but I think there are a lot of reasons to be positive if you are an optimist, and probably as many reasons to be negative if you are a pessimist. We just have to wait and see.

The unemployed Will Wade has had less success than Mark Few or Kelvin Sampson or Tony Bennett. Guys who built their program and know how to coach basketball. Yes player turnover is going to be higher even in programs with good chemistry, but it doesn't have to be a free for all every season.

Good thing is we shouldn't have a reset roster next year even if we lose some key guys. My guess is having around 6 guys who will play at least minutes return next year: Hinson, Jeffress (hope he improves...), Federiko, the twins and either Hugely or Santos who I think of as 50/50 odds. Santos is close with twins and Fede fwiw. Dior I will ignore for now and I wouldn't bet on him staying anywhere long. Three well recruited freshman, a couple transfers, I think it's potentially a strong team if the 4 star recruiting rankings mean anything.

Program guys like Bennett and Sampson are going to be the exception. You have to plan as if you are going to have a new team every year. That said, for next year, I do think Pitt returns its key pieces. But that's not going to be every year.

Program guys like Bennett and Sampson are going to be the exception. You have to plan as if you are going to have a new team every year. That said, for next year, I do think Pitt returns its key pieces. But that's not going to be every year.
It won't be every year, but late season collapses followed by mass transfers due to bad chemistry better not be the norm for your team or you're in trouble. That's what got Capel onto a hot seat and it's not really the norm.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT