ADVERTISEMENT

Hafley

You guys are really stretching to live SMF wrong, lol. But I think it's safe to say that almost all pro soccer players are in excellent shape.

Running a marathon isn't a good barometer. An out of shape person can do it by just running slow.

Wow, you are really stressing the Google machine looking for overweight players. First, the Brazilian Ronaldo, 10 years after he retired. Now, some English player who played in the lower leagues of English football. A pro? Technically, yes. But think Riverhounds level. Is that all Google can give you? Also, he plays striker where there is less running. He wouldn't be able to play midfield.
There are no overweight players playing riverhounds level. It’s as if impossible as a man birthing a woman.

There are no overweight players playing riverhounds level. It’s as if impossible as a man birthing a woman.

Yea, I know. I dont know how that guy did it in the 3rd, 4th, and non-league football in England. But if you were going to be an overweight striker, you'd have better success in a semi-pro league like USL than top leagues.

You know what's interesting though. In girls soccer at the club level and even through HS, and sometimes college, you see these "bigger" girls playing. I mean its not really a lot at the college level but you do see some that don't have soccer bodies.

Yea, I know. I dont know how that guy did it in the 3rd, 4th, and non-league football in England. But if you were going to be an overweight striker, you'd have better success in a semi-pro league like USL than top leagues.
He was a parity. He was like Traore or Antonio in his prime…just a muscle bound freak who played forward. Then he got old and heavy and hung around virtual English adult leagues.

Heavy guys play soccer every day. For fun in Adult leagues. Not in any real league- Including USL-1, which isn’t a real league in my eyes.

He was a parity. He was like Traore or Antonio in his prime…just a muscle bound freak who played forward. Then he got old and heavy and hung around virtual English adult leagues.

Heavy guys play soccer every day. For fun in Adult leagues. Not in any real league- Including USL-1, which isn’t a real league in my eyes.

I was thinking that pic had to be of him in his later years in non-league football. I dont think he could play in the 3rd or 4th tier looking like that

I was thinking that pic had to be of him in his later years in non-league football. I dont think he could play in the 3rd or 4th tier looking like that
I actually do think that was a pic in EFL league football, albeit Englands League 1 or 2 which is 3rd and 4th division. He even had a stint in the Championship late in his career. But standing around and not running as a target forward like that isn’t happening at the highest levels. Heck he’s the only one I can think of at those low levels. I mean, Christiano Ronaldo, who’s a chiseled Greek God wasn’t even wanted in the Premier League or any other top 5 league because he doesnt play the game the way it’s supposed to be played anymore.

You have no idea the type of elite shape you have to be in to play professional soccer and the amount of running it requires. There is a reason you've never seen any pro player even coming close to being overweight. Absolutely all of them could complete a marathon without specifically training for it.
SMF...You know nothing about me, my education or my athletic abilities. Just because you move around (notice I said "move around", because those professional soccer players are absolutely not running for 90 continuous minutes) for a 45 minute half, take a 20-25 minute break and then move around for another 45 minutes of time, does not make you capable of running a marathon. Sorry,

SMF...You know nothing about me, my education or my athletic abilities. Just because you move around (notice I said "move around", because those professional soccer players are absolutely not running for 90 continuous minutes) for a 45 minute half, take a 20-25 minute break and then move around for another 45 minutes of time, does not make you capable of running a marathon. Sorry,
Good article here. Of all the sports, it’s pretty clear that soccer players are the team sport athletes most likely capable of running marathons.

Correct. They do not run for 90 minutes straight. Midfielders cover 8-10 miles in those 90 minutes, not all by running. That said, they have to be able to run a marathon on demand or they wouldn't be able to play pro soccer. That is the type of shape the sport requires. You act like running a marathon is this impossible thing. These guys are in the best cardio shape of any other sport and I am sure there are basketball and football players who could also complete a marathon without training. Not a lot but some. You are so loud wrong. Its funny.

Correct. They do not run for 90 minutes straight. Midfielders cover 8-10 miles in those 90 minutes, not all by running. That said, they have to be able to run a marathon on demand or they wouldn't be able to play pro soccer. That is the type of shape the sport requires. You act like running a marathon is this impossible thing. These guys are in the best cardio shape of any other sport and I am sure there are basketball and football players who could also complete a marathon without training. Not a lot but some. You are so loud wrong. Its funny.
Van der Sar (our former pitt GK)-his world famous father ran a marathon, and he was a goalkeeper!! Running all those Man U fitness exercises with his outfield teammates prepared him.

In any event, it’s not a stretch to go from the soccer pitch to the marathon streets. Sure the fitness is different, marathons are pace and consistent rate over a distance, while soccer is explosions, sprints at shorts distances with jogs and short stoppages. My guess is plenty of soccer players can do it with minimal preparation.

I said at the time that it was a really stupid decision for him to leave such a cushy job like DC at OSU for BC, one of the worst P5 jobs. I think he's a good coach and good recruiter but that's almost an impossible job. Every decade or so they luck into an NFL QB (Flutie, Hasselbeck x 2, Ryan, etc) and they do well while they have that QB. The rest of the time, they are 6-6 or worse. Hafley is going to be fired and with Duzz possibly going to Michigan State, you'd have to think that Hafley would have been the Pitt HC had he stayed at OSU this whole time while waiting for the right job. Duzz stayed at MSU a long time waiting for the right job. He said that. Sometimes you cant just jump at the 1st P5 job that opens. Hafley will become a well-paid DC again but he probably wont get another P4 job.
Nostradumbass with another irrefutable clairvoyant prediction......

You guys are really stretching to live SMF wrong, lol. But I think it's safe to say that almost all pro soccer players are in excellent shape.

Running a marathon isn't a good barometer. An out of shape person can do it by just running slow.
No they couldn't.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
SMF...I think that it is you that is wrong. You act as if because you play a professional sport that you are an elite distance runner as well and that is simply not the case. You can be an elite athlete playing any professional sport and be in good cardiovascular shape and I would bet that 99.9% of them would not have the physical ability to complete a marathon without training for it.
Moving around on a professional manicured flat soccer field for 90 minutes is a completely different subject then running on many different types of hard surfaces and elevations.
By the way, I've never seen a professional swimmer, gymnast, cyclist, hockey player or speed skater who was overweight. Does that mean that they could complete a marathon without training for it?

SMF...I think that it is you that is wrong. You act as if because you play a professional sport that you are an elite distance runner as well and that is simply not the case. You can be an elite athlete playing any professional sport and be in good cardiovascular shape and I would bet that 99.9% of them would not have the physical ability to complete a marathon without training for it.
Moving around on a professional manicured flat soccer field for 90 minutes is a completely different subject then running on many different types of hard surfaces and elevations.
By the way, I've never seen a professional swimmer, gymnast, cyclist, hockey player or speed skater who was overweight. Does that mean that they could complete a marathon without training for it?

Some hockey players could do it. Some are overweight but not many. I would say some hockey players have more of a football build. Not that they are fat but too "big" too run a marathon.

Cyclists, like the Tour de France ones, yes they could do it. Gymnasts - no. Swimmers - the distance ones, some could do it I would say.

Again, running a marathon without training isnt this impossible thing you think it is if you have "the build" and are in elite cardio and physical shape.

You have no idea the type of elite shape you have to be in to play professional soccer and the amount of running it requires. There is a reason you've never seen any pro player even coming close to being overweight. Absolutely all of them could complete a marathon without specifically training for it.
It’s glorified jogging

Half marathon easy. No doubt.

I’m not a runner but I’d guess there’s a big difference between the 10 miles some of them run in a game and being able to run 26.
Honestly as someone who’s run plenty of half’s and a full-
After 18 miles it’s all to stick with it .

Granted I only did a full once because despite any training and nutrition , I’d start cramping at mile 20-
So I literally limped the last 5 miles .

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Honestly as someone who’s run plenty of half’s and a full-
After 18 miles it’s all to stick with it .

Granted I only did a full once because despite any training and nutrition , I’d start cramping at mile 20-
So I literally limped the last 5 miles .
So are you saying that if you can do 18, you should be able to do 26?

I dont know how this translates but I coach an 8 year old girl's soccer team. 2 of the girls ran a 5K, without training. Neither are what I would consider to be elite athletes. Both will be D3 level soccer players if they stick with it. They ran the 5K in 29 minutes. Without stopping. They are 8 but in fantastic shape due to soccer. I dont get how you people think an elite 25 year old soccer player will fall over dead at mile 17

18 penalties for BC today ... Definitely channels Wannstedt, like I said. And Wannstedt was probably emulating late 80s/early 90s U. That's style isn't going to work at BC.

If ever a team screams for an air raid type offense, it's BC. How else are they going to compete?

Hafley is an easy guy to root for, but a bad bad head coach. He wants to be everyone's best friend and can't make a hard decision. I'm a BC fan and our team is one of the least disciplined teams I've ever seen, it's laughable honestly.

People can lecture us on how hard of a job it is, but the facts are that we've been at least bowl eligible all but 4 seasons this century, and now things have completely torpedoed in the wrong direction under his stewardship.
Hafley-ball on full display today.

I said at the time that it was a really stupid decision for him to leave such a cushy job like DC at OSU for BC, one of the worst P5 jobs. I think he's a good coach and good recruiter but that's almost an impossible job. Every decade or so they luck into an NFL QB (Flutie, Hasselbeck x 2, Ryan, etc) and they do well while they have that QB. The rest of the time, they are 6-6 or worse. Hafley is going to be fired and with Duzz possibly going to Michigan State, you'd have to think that Hafley would have been the Pitt HC had he stayed at OSU this whole time while waiting for the right job. Duzz stayed at MSU a long time waiting for the right job. He said that. Sometimes you cant just jump at the 1st P5 job that opens. Hafley will become a well-paid DC again but he probably wont get another P4 job.
Hafley was a decent DC at Ohio State; where he should have remained. Hopefully his tenure at BC will
end at the end of this season. His recruiting over the two years is awful. He has no future at any level as HC and will find another DC position at college level.

are we really still debating about how far a soccer player runs during a game? Jesus freakin Christmas, there has to be something better we can argue about..

on campus stadium? prices for a pepsi at a hoops game? tents allowed at a tailgate? did gottfried get fired for knocking up a cheerleading coach or just cause he sucked?

anything is better than this.

Yes - so long as you’re following regime- it’s rare go over 18 miles for your longest run .
Its all the runs building to the marathon that gets you ready to run the full

Not so fast, SMF, you may have been right all along on the great Jeff Hafley. 4-3 now. Some winnable games coming up. 7-5 looks very possible. 8-4 isnt completely out of the question. He'll be back next season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT