ADVERTISEMENT

Heather Lyke meeting with press

ThePanthers, post: 1927869, member: 3098"]
1) Met with populus and the facilities are deficient and Pitt will be correcting that via their master plan.
2) No plans for on campus stadium.
Have to Rebuild Pitt FB & BB Programs & Set Up Pitt ACCN!
3) Looking at possibly adding additional sports down the road. Focusing though in existing programs.
No choice, FB & BB First they produce the revenues.
4) Concern about Pitt basketball but has confidence Stallings will fix it. It's a process.
A good reliable Pitt Booster talked to a Vandy Fan whose Brother In Law played for Stallings, and said the Players just hated him at Vandy, and I don't see him as a success anywhere, his condescension methods of coaching are old, arrogant and don't care for them or him.
5) Looking to make Pitt tailgating experience unique.
6) Will have a James Conner bobblehead game.
7) Hasnt met with psu ad yet in continuing series but will. Knows her well.
Forced Peduto to get involved and legislature too! PSU spent much money on the scandal, playing Pitt makes Economic sense and always did for Schools, city and commonwealth. Many of them were involved in The Second Mile.
8) Said won't eliminate fcs games completely but I my make sense for opener.
9) Said Pitt script is unique and adds value. Colors do not. Discussions have occurred to go back to the throwback colors.
Many wanted the Pitt Script & No Brainer except for Pederson, Why They Chose Different Colors was Another Barn Doors Consultant Failure, and Narduzzi will set it right sooner or later with the Smarter Heather.
10) Will wear throwbacks twice this year.
Good Looks and Can Be Made Better!
11) Developing secondary logo.
Please No Hound Tooth Pederson's Peppers, No Dino Cats that looked like Dogs, and plenty in Pitt Archives just go look and adopt them back, save some money.

Heather is Great Hire:D after Pederson's Poison:mad: and Barnes Barn Doors Consultants doing his thinking and then cut and running from the Big City for Dear Old Mommy;)!

This is Good News because it makes Coach Narduzz's Caring, Encouraging and developing his Recruits and Players easier to Rebuild Pitt Football Program in the ACC.:rolleyes::cool::)
Peduto is a loser. I wouldn't go to him unless I wanted to F something up.

Reactions: paulbl99
She touches on the launch of the network briefly when they're discussing scheduling, but nothing really about startup investment.

I imagine it is part of the facilities master plan because they're going to have to build studio place.

Where is the land up there now? Isn't all used up?

There's sloping land in front of Fitzgerald Field House, the OC lot is an obvious location, the Petersen Events Center lawn (which I don't know if it is smart to touch as far as destroying that campus plan), but there is also the area over the basketball practice facility which is a giant, underused concrete plaza next to the Pete. There's the set back in front of the Tree's Hall main entrance that could be built out. There may be a little bit of land around the Pete Sports Complex but that is a pretty steep grade to build on. Maybe some room behind the new sports dome. Lots of land around University drive, but again, that is fairly difficult to build on but one location could be the former site of the Mineral Industries Building. Another possible site is the U lot between the back of Sutherland Hall and the VA.

And who will "own" it? Maintain it? The Steelers out of the goodness of their Hearts?

The Steelers don't own the stadium now and don't maintain it. Why would they do it when they're gone?

Since the Stadium Authority owns the stadium, they could maintain it with Pitt's help. Although I hate Heinz Field as a college football stadium, it's the best option we have or will have. An on-campus stadium, now or in the next 200 years, is laughable. For many, many reasons.

There isnt a D1 team who has a yellow helmet as their primary helmet.

Only 2 P5 team has royal blue as a primary color (Kansas and Kentucky) and Mississippi seems to rotate between royal and navy blue.

Obviously, no one has the color combo of royal blue and yellow.

LSU?

What are the throwback colors? Apparently all Pitt fans have differing opinions.In my mind it's NOT what they are currently wearing as quote un quote throwbacks.If they are going to do it do it RIGHT.Not some bright royal blue and canary yellow crap! We need to start worrying about winning games and championships and LESS about colors and logos.

100% agree. Colors of the uniforms has no bearing on winning. It's all for show and for the fashion conscious. It's just window dressing. Let's start by winning some games and try and see if we can ever get past 8 wins. We haven't done that much in the last 30 years.

Only 2 P5 team has royal blue as a primary color (Kansas and Kentucky) and Mississippi seems to rotate between royal and navy blue.

LSU?

But your point stands. It's usually good to stand out in college football. Pitt is just stupid when it comes to this stuff.

She gets it. It was obvious to EVERYONE ELSE except for the admins at Pitt.

Now of course the debate will be "which shade of blue and gold" yadda yadda yadda, and the usual suspects will be here soon attempting to troll about it, but the bottom line is that standing out is a good thing in college football.
The worst being the ones who care what it was originally or is in official records. All that matters is what looks good and what will sell.

Too bad yellow and royal have never been the actual colors of the University of Pittsburgh.

Constant switching based on color trends in stupid...and how ended up with the current ones. Fine for alternative jersey's that sell gear and help catch the eye of recruits, but if they are going to switch, be done with it permanently and return to the actual roots of the university with Old Gold and Navy and stay with them permanently.

But it sounds like they are waiting on Nike to tell them what to do. Apparel companies have told us a lot of dumb things through the years.
No. One. Cares. What the "actual colors of the University of Pittsburgh" were. No one.

Go with what sells and looks good on TV. Almost certainly that would favor yellow and royal over a very muted and bland "old gold" and navy. It is 2017 and we are on TV for every game in crystal clear HD. That matters far, far, far more than the "actual/original/official colors".

No. One. Cares. What the "actual colors of the University of Pittsburgh" were. No one.

Go with what sells and looks good on TV. Almost certainly that would favor yellow and royal over a very muted and bland "old gold" and navy. It is 2017 and we are on TV for every game in crystal clear HD. That matters far, far, far more than the "actual/original/official colors".
Yes they do
Navy and Old Gold.

Maybe she'll focus group it and come up with Periwinkle and Marigold... Nike could make it work.

Color me not impressed with this one.

Yes they do
Navy and Old Gold.

Maybe she'll focus group it and come up with Periwinkle and Marigold... Nike could make it work.

Old Gold is the "official school color" of a slew of other colleges with most migrating to more appealing, identifiable, and marketable variations of yellow because old gold is, well... fairly ugly. Pitt is no different. Old Gold Schools include Iowa, WVU, GTech, Central Florida, Minnesota, UAB, Wake, ECU, Tulsa, and Vandy.

Reactions: Jpripper88
Old Gold is the "official school color" of a slew of other colleges with most migrating to more appealing, identifiable, and marketable variations of yellow because old gold is, well... fairly ugly. Pitt is no different. Old Gold Schools include Iowa, WVU, GTech, Central Florida, Minnesota, UAB, Wake, ECU, Tulsa, and Vandy.
Should satisfy the crowd who wants Pitt to be different.
Stick w Old Gold because no one else is using it

I have to give this woman some credit. I got a phone call today from them... and yeah it was a shake down... but you know... they thanked me for 27 years of donations and season ticket purchases.

And granted, I'm only like around 1,000 or so on the top donor list... but you know I've never been contacted before. Shake down or not. In TWENTY SEVEN YEARS.

Read that again Pitt fans. A donor of 27 years... top 1000 donor... has never been contacted. EVER. If that isn't the NUMBER ONE CLUE that this athletic department of the past has been a TOTAL and COMPLETE FAILURE and probably explains why they SUCK at most everything they do... I don't know what is. These people have been so incompetent they couldn't even randomly call me - even a wrong number would be somewhat likely. That tells me they don't give a ****.

So give this woman some credit. Drain the swamp.

I have to give this woman some credit. I got a phone call today from them... and yeah it was a shake down... but you know... they thanked me for 27 years of donations and season ticket purchases.

And granted, I'm only like around 1,000 or so on the top donor list... but you know I've never been contacted before. Shake down or not. In TWENTY SEVEN YEARS.

Read that again Pitt fans. A donor of 27 years... top 1000 donor... has never been contacted. EVER. If that isn't the NUMBER ONE CLUE that this athletic department of the past has been a TOTAL and COMPLETE FAILURE and probably explains why they SUCK at most everything they do... I don't know what is. These people have been so incompetent they couldn't even randomly call me - even a wrong number would be somewhat likely. That tells me they don't give a ****.

So give this woman some credit. Drain the swamp.
That is unbelievable.

I donate practically nothing to Alabama and am not a season ticket holder and their AD sent me a "Congratulations on your wedding" card and info about tax advantages of donating. Seriously. Calls from the business school just tonight. I am astounded at the differences, but your story is legitimately unbelievable.

Yes they do
Navy and Old Gold.

No, they don't. It doesn't matter AT ALL. What matters is what sells and looks good on TV.

100% agree. Colors of the uniforms has no bearing on winning. It's all for show and for the fashion conscious. It's just window dressing. Let's start by winning some games and try and see if we can ever get past 8 wins. We haven't done that much in the last 30 years.
To me if we were going to change colors again why not do it when the script came back full time? Why bring out new unis last year and paint everything in navy and vegas and then turn around and say we wont rule out a color change.If we have to change again get the dam# colors right.Not neon royal and canary yellow.The throwback uni we are replicating right now is the early 90's and they are bad ones at that.The ones they actually wore in the early 90's were even better.

Too bad yellow and royal have never been the actual colors of the University of Pittsburgh.

Constant switching based on color trends in stupid...and how ended up with the current ones. Fine for alternative jersey's that sell gear and help catch the eye of recruits, but if they are going to switch, be done with it permanently and return to the actual roots of the university with Old Gold and Navy and stay with them permanently.

But it sounds like they are waiting on Nike to tell them what to do. Apparel companies have told us a lot of dumb things through the years.
I agree 100%

To me if we were going to change colors again why not do it when the script came back full time? Why bring out new unis last year and paint everything in navy and vegas and then turn around and say we wont rule out a color change.If we have to change again get the dam# colors right.Not neon royal and canary yellow.The throwback uni we are replicating right now is the early 90's and they are bad ones at that.The ones they actually wore in the early 90's were even better.
She wasn't in charge and the guy who was couldn't wait more than a few months before he was trying to leave Pittsburgh, so he didn't give a flying f#ck.

Most people (especially the target demographic and people spending money) disagree with the old guard about "old gold" and how ugly it is in person and on TV.

No, they don't. It doesn't matter AT ALL. What matters is what sells and looks good on TV.

It's not smart branding to match your colors to several other programs. Being unique and identifiable makes sense, especially when you had a color scheme in the past that fit that.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
It's not smart branding to match your colors to several other programs. Being unique and identifiable makes sense, especially when you had a color scheme in the past that fit that.
I'm not sure for which you are advocating. The royal and yellow would be unique and identifiable, while looking good on tv and in merchandising. "Old Gold" and navy would also be unique, but it looks incredibly ugly.

I'm not sure for which you are advocating. The royal and yellow would be unique and identifiable, while looking good on tv and in merchandising. "Old Gold" and navy would also be unique, but it looks incredibly ugly.

Navy and that "khaki" looking gold color isn't unique. Akron, Navy, ND (in the past) and others have worn it. We should use Royal and either Mustard or Yellow so we're instantly recognizable. I'd be fine with either.

Reactions: Jpripper88
I wonder how much money will have been wasted by updates last year to physical things that feature the current color scheme, only to be changed to the colors more people like?
Indeed. Ridiculous for anyone, but particularly a university and sports departments always bemoaning money troubles.

They definitely cut their nose off to spite their face. Repeatedly.

Could trace it back to Pederson and his first reign, when he obviously changed all the logos colors and fonts as diversions to take focus off the awful teams. But Pitt has been messing with the colors and logos before that. From 76 to 96 the colors, uniforms, helmets, secondary logos, always getting altered. One year a shinier royal blue and gold, next a more matte blue and canary yellow, etc. Even messed with the Script logo various times, making it more pointed at the ends, then back to curvy, then filling in the portions within the T's. A sign of a turbulent and inefficient AD for sure

SORRY GUYS SHE SOUNDED LIKE STEVIE LYTE.AND I WISH HER THE BEST. LAST YEAR IN RED 5 GARAGE WE WERE HASSLED BY THE GENDARMES AS THE SEASON WENT ON AND NO WE DIDN'T GRILL.

NOT TROLLING JUSTCANNOT GET MY HEAD AROUND " UNIQUE TAILGATING EXPERIENCE" WHEN PITT HAS ALREADY TOLD US THE NEW GARAGE WILL HAVE NO TAILGATING/

Heather

Reconfigure Heinz Field for Pitt home football games to 50,000 capacity with attractive tarps and market advertising to company's by displaying their logos on the tarps.

No need to tarp when playing Notre Dame, Penn State and West Virginia.

Win-win situation.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Last edited:
NOT TROLLING JUSTCANNOT GET MY HEAD AROUND " UNIQUE TAILGATING EXPERIENCE" WHEN PITT HAS ALREADY TOLD US THE NEW GARAGE WILL HAVE NO TAILGATING/
the university's idea of tailgating experience differs from a typical fans idea of tailgating. A good tailgate to me is a ton of beer on ice, a grill, sitting on a car (or tailgate of truck, hence the name), with radio and friends.. that to me is a good tailgating experience. Trust me, Pitt's version is not that. they don't envision coolers of beer, a grill, a table with buns and condiments with little kids throwing a football around. that's not what they are referencing.

San Diego St, Deleware, Ikea and Best Buy Not Pleased.

I can spot an Ikea or Best Buy from a long ways off. They stand out. That's usually a good thing when you are selling a product.

The whole point of branding is to be identifiable to as many people as possible, especially people who aren't core fans.

Not quite the same thing, but Saint Vincent College has Blue and Silver for its academic colors and Green and Gold for athletics. The shades of blue and gold/yellow are a discussion point, but the classic throwback uniform style and general color scheme seems to be universally loved by fans, students and most importantly, the athletes. Notice all of the recruits aren't posing and posting pictures of the Navy and Gold uniforms.

Reactions: RaleighPittFan
Old Gold and Navy is approximately the colors of the below sweatshirt available at the Pitt Shop (which was sold out for long time over the this past holiday season).

276-478181-1.jpg

And has always been the colors of Pitt's Varsity Letter jacket.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT