ADVERTISEMENT

Heather: new hire

TIGER-PAUL

Athletic Director
Jan 14, 2005
1254.jpg

Pitt hires attorney Bethany Swaton Wagner for AD's office
Bethany B. Swaton is an Associate in the Pittsburgh office of Jackson Lewis P.C. In addition to focusing on general litigation, Ms. Swaton counseled clients with employment-related issues and drafted employment handbooks and other policies for implementation. Also, because of her previous work with the Pittsburgh Pirates, CBS Broadcasting, Inc., and The Ohio State University Athletic Compliance Office, Ms. Swaton maintained a sports and entertainment practice in which she negotiated and drafted agreements and counseled clients.

Ms. Swaton’s practice is currently focused exclusively on representing employers in employment-related litigation before administrative agencies and courts on the state and federal levels, as well as client counseling on issues of compliance and litigation avoidance.

Ms. Swaton is a member of Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, Ohio County, West Virginia, American Bar, and Sports Lawyers Associations and is admitted to practice in all Courts of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and the State of West Virginia, the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania, the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of West Virginia, and the United States District Court for the Southern District of West Virginia.

Ms. Swaton authored “Girls Can Play, Too: Has the Lack of Female Leadership in NCAA Athletics Become an Afterthought?” which was published in the Seton Hall University School of Law Journal of Sports and Entertainment Law. This article was reprinted in a condensed version as a chapter in the textbook, Reversing Field: Examining Commercialization, Labor, Gender, and Race in 21st Century Sports Law. She also authored “Money Madness: Student-Athlete Aid Increase Sparks Criticism,” which is featured in the November-December 2011 edition of the Journal of NCAA Compliance.

Ms. Swaton received her B.S. from West Virginia University and her J.D. from the West Virginia University College of Law. During law school, Ms. Swaton was active in the Sports and Entertainment Law Society and served as the summer associate for CBS Broadcasting, Inc., and the law clerk for the Pittsburgh Pirates. Immediately upon completion of law school, Ms. Swaton clerked for the Honorable James E. Seibert, United States Magistrate Judge for the Northern District of West Virginia.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...c-director-office-sports/stories/201804120122

1254.jpg

Bethany B. Swaton is an Associate in the Pittsburgh office of Jackson Lewis P.C. In addition to focusing on general litigation, Ms. Swaton counseled clients with employment-related issues and drafted employment handbooks and other policies for implementation. Also, because of her previous work with the Pittsburgh Pirates, CBS Broadcasting, Inc., and The Ohio State University Athletic Compliance Office, Ms. Swaton maintained a sports and entertainment practice in which she negotiated and drafted agreements and counseled clients.

Ms. Swaton’s practice is currently focused exclusively on representing employers in employment-related litigation before administrative agencies and courts on the state and federal levels, as well as client counseling on issues of compliance and litigation avoidance.

Ms. Swaton is a member of Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, Ohio County, West Virginia, American Bar, and Sports Lawyers Associations and is admitted to practice in all Courts of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and the State of West Virginia, the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania, the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of West Virginia, and the United States District Court for the Southern District of West Virginia.

Ms. Swaton authored “Girls Can Play, Too: Has the Lack of Female Leadership in NCAA Athletics Become an Afterthought?” which was published in the Seton Hall University School of Law Journal of Sports and Entertainment Law. This article was reprinted in a condensed version as a chapter in the textbook, Reversing Field: Examining Commercialization, Labor, Gender, and Race in 21st Century Sports Law. She also authored “Money Madness: Student-Athlete Aid Increase Sparks Criticism,” which is featured in the November-December 2011 edition of the Journal of NCAA Compliance.

Ms. Swaton received her B.S. from West Virginia University and her J.D. from the West Virginia University College of Law. During law school, Ms. Swaton was active in the Sports and Entertainment Law Society and served as the summer associate for CBS Broadcasting, Inc., and the law clerk for the Pittsburgh Pirates. Immediately upon completion of law school, Ms. Swaton clerked for the Honorable James E. Seibert, United States Magistrate Judge for the Northern District of West Virginia.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...c-director-office-sports/stories/201804120122
just my opinion, but I just read “Girls Can Play, Too: Has the Lack of Female Leadership in NCAA Athletics Become an Afterthought?” and I am glad we have an activist on Pitt's staff such that we can have 50/50 gender representation (even though interest in the athletic management fields skew no way near that number) and eliminate pervasive racial bias within the athletic department. I say, you go female of the species!

just my opinion, but I just read “Girls Can Play, Too: Has the Lack of Female Leadership in NCAA Athletics Become an Afterthought?” and I am glad we have an activist on Pitt's staff such that we can have 50/50 gender representation (even though interest in the athletic management fields skew no way near that number) and eliminate pervasive racial bias within the athletic department. I say, you go female of the species!
yeah, this is a huge relief to us all.

giphy.gif

thank God she's a wvu alum. I am not happy unless we hire someone from either wvu or psu. and absolutely, under no circumstances, do I ever want to see us hire someone with a Pitt diploma. I forbid it.
I totally agree with you. I guess Pitt doesn’t have a law school that is rated high enough that also produces this type of lawyer. They need to get on that.

Do a little research on her and you will find out the bio is very well-written, but she's not all that qualified for a position in athletics administration (LinkedIn, anyone). She was an intern in compliance at Ohio State (for Lyke), an intern and then a law clerk at CBS for 3 months and a law clerk for 8 mo for the Pirates. Basically this is her second full time job as come on less than a year at any place is a joke (besides six years at the law firm). She has never worked in college athletics. Ouch. Have fun with that coaches.

thank God she's a wvu alum. I am not happy unless we hire someone from either wvu or psu. and absolutely, under no circumstances, do I ever want to see us hire someone with a Pitt diploma. I forbid it.

That was the first thing I thought of. But what I want to know is why are Duquesne alums under-represented in Pitt leadership positions. Shouldn't we be creating programs to better recruit and hire Duquesne alums? We are doing great with PSU and WVU alums but this university cannot reach full capacity unless we can get more Duquesne alums on board.

1254.jpg

As per the story in PG, "Many of her responsibilities at Pitt were previously occupied by Marcus Bowman, who left to become the senior associate AD/chief financial officer at UNLV last November.".

Keep an eye on Pitt grad Marcus Bowman. He is and will be a fast riser in athletics administration. He would be a great candidate for the Pitt AD in the future.

Hail to Pitt,
NGF

As per the story in PG, "Many of her responsibilities at Pitt were previously occupied by Marcus Bowman, who left to become the senior associate AD/chief financial officer at UNLV last November.".

Keep an eye on Pitt grad Marcus Bowman. He is and will be a fast riser in athletics administration. He would be a great candidate for the Pitt AD in the future.

Hail to Pitt,
NGF
yes, left in large part because they chased him off. Have to call a spade a spade.

Reactions: bwh05
Do a little research on her and you will find out the bio is very well-written, but she's not all that qualified for a position in athletics administration (LinkedIn, anyone). She was an intern in compliance at Ohio State (for Lyke), an intern and then a law clerk at CBS for 3 months and a law clerk for 8 mo for the Pirates. Basically this is her second full time job as come on less than a year at any place is a joke (besides six years at the law firm). She has never worked in college athletics. Ouch. Have fun with that coaches.

lol, its womens sports and title IV coord.
Bowman was hired here with zero exp in the ticket office.

lol, its womens sports and title IV coord.
Bowman was hired here with zero exp in the ticket office.
actually he was in the business office (not ticket office). He had more experience in athletics (albeit little and he moved up bc he was SCP's boy, if you want to compare) than a person who has written a paper on Title IX. just saying. Yes, women's sports, but she will have her hand in more I am sure.

This younger generation sure can write a resume.

Lyke with her hires and extensions has been nothing but spectacular but some want to bitch about a compliance officer position that overseas some Olympic sports? Kind of pathetic if you ask me

Reactions: DiehardPanther
Lyke with her hires and extensions has been nothing but spectacular but some want to bitch about a compliance officer position that overseas some Olympic sports? Kind of pathetic if you ask me

While I understand your general sentiment, why don't we wait to see of Lyke and her hires are actually spectacular before we call them that. So far the Wrestling team did not produce spectacular results (though I am optimistic) and the Basketball hire hasn't even played 1 game yet. Just because these guys went off the deep end doesn't mean you should go off the deep end on the opposite side, that is just silly.

While I understand your general sentiment, why don't we wait to see of Lyke and her hires are actually spectacular before we call them that. So far the Wrestling team did not produce spectacular results (though I am optimistic) and the Basketball hire hasn't even played 1 game yet. Just because these guys went off the deep end doesn't mean you should go off the deep end on the opposite side, that is just silly.
WVU. Law school....WOW!!...Let's bring in the "Justice Brothers" next to complete this exercise...feeling complete now !!!

yes, left in large part because they chased him off. Have to call a spade a spade.

Wrong.

Marcus's move to UNLV was a promotion that sets him up to be a head AD at a D1 / P5 school in the future.

Why post on something that you know nothing about?

Simply amazing.

NGF

Lyke may have preferred someone with Pitt ties but got zero interest from Pitt alumni.....something she should probably get used to. Frankly, it would seem that WVU and PSU folks have far more interest in Pitt athletics.

Reactions: Swervin27
I was actually surprised by the hire because she really has zero experience working in a college athletic department other than her internship. It will be interesting to see what actual contribution she will make I would assume she will be involved with the hiring of the new women's basketball coach.

Reactions: jscotpitt95
I was actually surprised by the hire because she really has zero experience working in a college athletic department other than her internship. It will be interesting to see what actual contribution she will make I would assume she will be involved with the hiring of the new women's basketball coach.
Why would you make that assumption?
Here's a clue...Pitt is stepping up big time in it's athletic department and that means hiring talented people. Here's another clue.
It's 2018 AD.

I know. Exactly what I was thinking: .Thank God it was a WVU grad or a be Penn State grad. Pitt's grad schools must suck because Pitt refuses to hire them.

Reactions: Swervin27
Wrong.

Marcus's move to UNLV was a promotion that sets him up to be a head AD at a D1 / P5 school in the future.

Why post on something that you know nothing about?

Simply amazing.

NGF
Does the move prepare him for the next step, yes. Was it smart on his part, most certainly (especially to have experience at another school besides Pitt).

He was out of the inner circle and saw the writing. One thing you are right about is why post it. However, saying I dont know; well that's incorrect.

Reactions: PHATWOOD
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT