ADVERTISEMENT

Hey Chria

Getting schedule information out of Pitt is difficult no matter who the AD is or has been but you are right. We have four ooc games yearly to schedule and for the rest of the decade we have many openings. I remember in December after the 2019 season Heather stated that she has several opponents lined up with announcements coming up soon. For the rest of the decade we have as many or more weeks to fill than any other conference team and most around the country. There was some speculation recently by U Conn s Randy Edsall that a future series with Pitt was close but no announcements. I really think she is having trouble with buy games since we cant offer nearly as much as many power five that have larger fan bases. Foe example Pitt recently signed a home and home series with Western Michigan.Scheduling of ooc games is very important . Like everybody else we need three home games and some sure wins and one brand name team. If Alabama can schedule Mercer we can certainly schedule New Hampshire. The 3-1 model is perfect especially like this year when Clemson is the cross over opponent. With Tennessees turover of talent and staff we could easily run the table in ooc games and a doable 5-3 league would give us 9-3 , a ranking a better bowl and better recruiting.

disagree. until we can win 10 games consistently, it should be 4 easy wins OOC.

Reactions: RaleighPittFan
Part of being in a Power Conferece is have a football schedule planned out well in advance. I read Future Football Schedules daily, and Pitt is only fully scheduled up to the end of 2022. Why can't we be further ahead in the process? This program wants top respect, but this is one example of being half assed.
The 2023 schedule has Notre Dame and WVU plus Cincinnati; they only need an FCS opponent there. 2024 has Cincinnati and WVU plus Youngstown State, so they really just need a non-P5 FBS team to throw into the final spot. They've got the primary games scheduled, and I'm sure they will get some of the fill-ins at some point in the future, but it doesn't seem like a major issue to me. I don't know if adding Richmond to the 2023 schedule is the missing piece in getting top respect for the program.

The 2023 schedule has Notre Dame and WVU plus Cincinnati; they only need an FCS opponent there. 2024 has Cincinnati and WVU plus Youngstown State, so they really just need a non-P5 FBS team to throw into the final spot. They've got the primary games scheduled, and I'm sure they will get some of the fill-ins at some point in the future, but it doesn't seem like a major issue to me. I don't know if adding Richmond to the 2023 schedule is the missing piece in getting top respect for the program.

we schedule cincinnati just in time for them to turn into a buzzsaw. swear to wlat we are cursed.

Reactions: ratking17
we schedule cincinnati just in time for them to turn into a buzzsaw. swear to wlat we are cursed
Sure seems that way like with recent examples like Okie State and UCF. With Cinncy i think Luke Fickell will be coaching at a Big Ten school if they have another good year so they could be in a situation like Tennessee is now By 2023.Although they have a history of making good choices when a coach leaves.

Reactions: pitt90seven
Chris good point but i think what the OP meant is mid range and longer term scheduling . For example today it was reported that Missouri added a few opponents and even though they need to schedule four a year like Pitt does they scheduke is now complete until 2031 and a number of schools have few openings through the rest of the decade as well. At last check we have at least a dozen or so openings this decade Unless there are some tenative agreements not announced yet.

Chris good point but i think what the OP meant is mid range and longer term scheduling . For example today it was reported that Missouri added a few opponents and even though they need to schedule four a year like Pitt does they scheduke is now complete until 2031 and a number of schools have few openings through the rest of the decade as well. At last check we have at least a dozen or so openings this decade Unless there are some tenative agreements not announced yet.
I think it is much more prudent to be open and flexible than to be locked in for OOC teams for the next decade.

Sure seems that way like with recent examples like Okie State and UCF. With Cinncy i think Luke Fickell will be coaching at a Big Ten school if they have another good year so they could be in a situation like Tennessee is now By 2023.Although they have a history of making good choices when a coach leaves.
Another meh year or two out of Harbaugh at Michigan, or Ryan Day moving to the NFL where he seems destined to end up, would be two potential openings that Fickell would top the list for.

I think it is much more prudent to be open and flexible than to be locked in for OOC teams for the next decade.
Probably somewhere in the middle of the two scenarios but easier said than done i guess. I just hope that we dont get into One and ones with non power schools because schedules are filling up fast. We alreay have one with Western Michigan. Remember when we played FIU a number of years back when there was a small crowd at a high school like stadium.Nothing wrong with scheduling these type of teams to fill out the ooc providing they are home games .

Probably somewhere in the middle of the two scenarios but easier said than done i guess. I just hope that we dont get into One and ones with non power schools because schedules are filling up fast. We alreay have one with Western Michigan. Remember when we played FIU a number of years back when there was a small crowd at a high school like stadium.Nothing wrong with scheduling these type of teams to fill out the ooc providing they are home games .
FWIW, Western Michigan's home field, Waldo Stadium , is a really nice 30,000 seat venue with some history to it and is in a nice setting. Kalamazoo is a great little college town with a ton of good bars and breweries, including Bell's Brewing and Eclectic Cafe, one of the very best craft brewers in the country IMO. Decent little road trip for a Pitt fan, especially student-aged Pitt fans.

That is what I mean Chris Peak. Look at Virginia Tech and how far out they are scheduled. That shows mid range to long range strategy. What Pitt needs in 2023 and 2024 is minor. And when some fans cut you down, you need to discipline them and ultimately kick them off for a year. I made 1 comment several yrs ago on Blue and White Illustrated and I was banned for a year

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
That is what I mean Chris Peak. Look at Virginia Tech and how far out they are scheduled. That shows mid range to long range strategy. What Pitt needs in 2023 and 2024 is minor. And when some fans cut you down, you need to discipline them and ultimately kick them off for a year. I made 1 comment several yrs ago on Blue and White Illustrated and I was banned for a year
Jesus. I pay for this site, you don't. You should have ZERO influence on who gets banned. ZERO.

You write nonsense.

Also, this is the best moderated site I have seen. There is lots of latitude to say stupid and even insulting things, but in the end, it’s mostly quite engaging and fun conversation. Not only that, but the common ground of being mostly Pitt grads is a really wonderful thing. All of those factors makes this the only board I post anything on ever.

Also, not sure anyone should look to nitters as an example of how to do anything.

Reactions: HOF Coach
It seems less important to many than you think it is.
With THIS fan base, probably. Recruiting and future st kecheduling go hand in hand. They need to schedule out like Virginia Tech. This way, you can see what the brass is thinking. Also, living outside of westen Pa, this is important as you are planning trips. If you are already out there, I guess this is not as important. Regardless, nobody should belittle other fans. Tiger Paul was our scheduling guy, but he died. I do not mind being in a group that keeps up with this. Others can do recruiting

With THIS fan base, probably. Recruiting and future st kecheduling go hand in hand. They need to schedule out like Virginia Tech. This way, you can see what the brass is thinking. Also, living outside of westen Pa, this is important as you are planning trips. If you are already out there, I guess this is not as important. Regardless, nobody should belittle other fans. Tiger Paul was our scheduling guy, but he died. I do not mind being in a group that keeps up with this. Others can do recruiting
I think scheduling out too far is irresponsible. Look at the Chinese rocket. What if we schedule a game against Penn State on September 13th 2029 and a Chinese rocket falls from space into the stadium. Imagine how bad that would be?

The fanbase is the fanbase. You don't represent the fanbase.

Cal Panther was the board expert on scheduling but i believe he passed as well. I agree with you about the need to schedule smartly. I am sick of five loss seasons. You can assemble a respectable schedule but a smart one as well. Mid range scheduling us the way to go. One Fcs , one brand name school and two group of five or whatever they call it. Wins get you rankings, prestige and better recruiting. As Bill Parcells said ” you are with your record is.”

I think scheduling out too far is irresponsible. Look at the Chinese rocket. What if we schedule a game against Penn State on September 13th 2029 and a Chinese rocket falls from space into the stadium. Imagine how bad that would be?

Beaver stadium looks like that already happened.

More likely to be a North Korean rocket that had been aimed at NYC.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT