Head Coach
Jul 7, 2001
the Stanford team we saw last night?

I think we will compare very favorably offensively:

TE & OL equal.

RB edge slight edge Stanford on speed

WR equal or better

QB tbd but potentially as good or better than Chryst

Defensively, is where I think Stanford has the big edge.

Reactions: MajorMajors

TE & OL equal.

WR equal or better

They are a lot better, faster, stronger, more talented and more sound than Pitt will be this year in every phase including coaching. It's not even close.

QB is their only real wild card-but it's even more so for us. Chryst has been working in that system for 3 years. Browne has had a new playbook every year.

Reactions: Jpripper88

TE & OL equal.

WR equal or better

I was thinking along the same lines as I watched a bit of that Stanford/Rice game last night.

I also wondered last night what the Steelers are going to do to improve their still struggling secondary. I'm thinking the Pitt secondary is going to be good before the Steeler's secondary is any good...

Go Pitt.

They are a lot better, faster, stronger, more talented and more sound than Pitt will be this year in every phase including coaching. It's not even close.

QB is their only real wild card-but it's even more so for us. Chryst has been working in that system for 3 years. Browne has had a new playbook every year.
Yeah, they would probably beat us by 50 to 60. It's not even close. You need to get real. Stanford is good but they are not as talented as Clemson or the pedophiles of last year. We may not be the same team from last season either, but, I still expect our offense to be able to move the ball on anyone. It is hard to imagine our defense being worse than last season, but until I see it play against the Peds I will reserve judgement. All that said Stanford is the better team and program, but to say it is not even close blows my mind. They are not Alabama and we are not Rutgers.

Yeah, they would probably beat us by 50 to 60. It's not even close. You need to get real. Stanford is good but they are not as talented as Clemson or the pedophiles of last year. We may not be the same team from last season either, but, I still expect our offense to be able to move the ball on anyone. It is hard to imagine our defense being worse than last season, but until I see it play against the Peds I will reserve judgement. All that said Stanford is the better team and program, but to say it is not even close blows my mind. They are not Alabama and we are not Rutgers.

They are 14 to 17 points better, the line would be about that. Could we pull an upset , of course , but they are a lot better

-Who the heck draws conclusions in the first week of the season playing Rice.

-Faster than Pitt on offense? You are out of your mind. Our wr's and rbs blow the doors off Stanford in speed. Faster then Pitt my ass. Can't wait to see our offense light it up again.

-Faster than Pitt on offense? You are out of your mind. Our wr's and rbs blow the doors off Stanford in speed. Faster then Pitt my ass. Can't wait to see our offense light it up again.
There he is!-all it took was a team speed challenge to bring him out of hiding. LMAO!

And here I thought this 88Pitt joker was you all along!

Keep it coming brother-the day you get something right on this board will be a momentous day indeed! 88 is right there with you. He has played enough PlayStation College Football to know what he's talking about!

There he is!-all it took was a team speed challenge to bring him out of hiding. LMAO!

And here I thought this 88Pitt joker was you all along!

Keep it coming brother-the day you get something right on this board will be a momentous day indeed! 88 is right there with you. He has played enough PlayStation College Football to know what he's talking about!
-No. I travel a lot. I don't mysteriously fall off the map

I have some news for you pal-this year, and we are talking about THIS SEASON--not last or next---we are a lot closer to being Rutgers than we are to being Alabama.

Reactions: ISAYJAYPA
I have some news for you pal-this year, and we are talking about THIS SEASON--not last or next---we are a lot closer to being Rutgers than we are to being Alabama.
-Didn't Rutgers win like 2 games last year and got blown out in all their other games. Alabama wouldnt beat Pitt by 70, and neither would anyone else. No one will beat us by 40, or even 30 this year. Power run teams that control clock dont get run over by anyone.

-Didn't Rutgers win like 2 games last year and got blown out in all their other games. Alabama wouldnt beat Pitt by 70, and neither would anyone else. No one will beat us by 40, or even 30 this year. Power run teams that control clock dont get run over by anyone.
Is that what we are this year, a power run team that controls clock? Are you sure?

Because that's not what we were last year.

BTW, in reference to your previous post about Stanford, I was talking about overall team speed-but to address your statement--remind me which RBs we have that are faster than Bryce Love and Cam Scarlett.

WTF did I miss when do we play Stanford?
My freakin tickets say Youngstown State did I get the wrong season tickets?
I cant find Stanford in my ticket package anywhere?
Where the h-ll is Stanford?
And that doesn't matter because is we wait long enough an earthquake could separate CA from the mainland and it'll be in a different place right?
Who cares about Stanford?
Mrs Buffett and I are driving 600+ RT miles, spending $ 250 on a hotel + food+drinks+tolls+gas+ whatever and all I want to know is how we compare to Youngstown St and we better win! Oh yes every once in a while we get to meet a very nice PA State Trooper somewhere on the PA Turnpike!
:cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: PantherDDS
Is that what we are this year, a power run team that controls clock? Are you sure?

Because that's not what we were last year.

BTW, in reference to your previous post about Stanford, I was talking about overall team speed-but to address your statement--remind me which RBs we have that are faster than Bryce Love and Cam Scarlett.
-we ran the ball on 63% of our plays last year.

Ewwww - Ignore some of the bizarrly negative + completely incorrect "analysis" in terms of the question. It's one I considered as well last year and this year --- Pitt and Stanford --- with both being the rare Under Center, Huddle-Up smash mouth offenses.

Stanford last year was 9-3 in the Pac-12, and won a very hard-fought Sun Bowl game Vs. North Carolina that came down the final minutes. If Mitch Trubisky doesn't throw a really, really bad Pick-6 in that game I think North Carolina wins.

Pitt's offense is just as good overall, and if Max Browne plays like an NFL draft pick I would say he gives Pitt's offense a clear edge (Keller Chryst is okay, not an NFL level QB) --- but yes, Stanford's Defense is just much deeper, experienced, and in-tune together as of now than Pitt's totally green and young (albeit very TALENTED!) defense. Stanford's defense last year and this year is the tough, experienced, and deep crew that Pitt is hoping to become the next few seasons.

Some of the above posts insisting that "Stanford wins by 3 TD's" is borderline-vitriol and just silly.

Pitt and Stanford, this year AND last year I would put Stanford as a 6 point favorite.

Reactions: daminals76
Ewwww - Ignore some of the bizarrly negative + completely incorrect "analysis" in terms of the question. It's one I considered as well last year and this year --- Pitt and Stanford --- with both being the rare Under Center, Huddle-Up smash mouth offenses.

Stanford last year was 9-3 in the Pac-12, and won a very hard-fought Sun Bowl game Vs. North Carolina that came down the final minutes. If Mitch Trubisky doesn't throw a really, really bad Pick-6 in that game I think North Carolina wins.

Pitt's offense is just as good overall, and if Max Browne plays like an NFL draft pick I would say he gives Pitt's offense a clear edge (Keller Chryst is okay, not an NFL level QB) --- but yes, Stanford's Defense is just much deeper, experienced, and in-tune together as of now than Pitt's totally green and young (albeit very TALENTED!) defense. Stanford's defense last year and this year is the tough, experienced, and deep crew that Pitt is hoping to become the next few seasons.

Some of the above posts insisting that "Stanford wins by 3 TD's" is borderline-vitriol and just silly.

Pitt and Stanford, this year AND last year I would put Stanford as a 6 point favorite.
It is nice to see a voice of reason. I think you are right that both teams are similar and that Stanford's defense is better. The almighty badby thinks he is 100 percent correct 100 percent of the time.

Hey joker, I did not say we are Bama. What I said was Stanford is not Bama. When you read pay attention to detail. Furthermore, pal, I don't know what your credentials are nor do I care, maybe you are a high school coach or maybe you lock yourself in your basement and watch football all weekend. You, despite yourself, know probably about the same as the rest on here. Yet, you come on here all brash, as if only you know what will happen this year, and nobody else has a clue. You may voice your opinion, because that is what it is, an opinion. When you are annointed as the voice of this board, because you know what you are talking about, I won't question your OPINIONS any longer. Good day sir!

I don't believe I "insisted" on anything.
It is a "What do you think" question and I think Stanford would eventually pull away to win by 3 TDs. I see nothing silly about that thought at all.
Stanford has a very solid team, lots of athletes and lots of depth.
At this moment, Pitt has a ton of question marks. QB a transfer with no history of success. Have to replace top flight running back and OC. Couple new faces on OL and DL. Defense was not great last year and the secondary sucked.
So, as of right now, Stanford looks better to me. I could very well have a different answer in two weeks.
Many here seem to be very sure all the above questions will have positive answers. I've been around long enough to realize there are usually some bumps on the road.

Hey joker, I did not say we are Bama. What I said was Stanford is not Bama. When you read pay attention to detail. Furthermore, pal, I don't know what your credentials are nor do I care, maybe you are a high school coach or maybe you lock yourself in your basement and watch football all weekend. You, despite yourself, know probably about the same as the rest on here. Yet, you come on here all brash, as if only you know what will happen this year, and nobody else has a clue. You may voice your opinion, because that is what it is, an opinion. When you are annointed as the voice of this board, because you know what you are talking about, I won't question your OPINIONS any longer. Good day sir!
Pretty sure I'm not the one with the reading comp problem. I'm disagreeing with your opinion and providing a basis for my disagreement. And I don't need any credentials, just a brain, to recognize that this year is not last year. We lost a lot of important people from last year's team, including and especially the guy who worked an absolute miracle with installing, running and calling our offense. Defensively we are basically starting from scratch. Some talented young guys but very little experience. It's not if they will struggle, it's how bad. This is not the team that beat Clemson last year.

So a lot of offensive uncertainty, and a lot of defensive youth and inexperience. Stanford is most certainly not Alabama but they are in a much better place than we are this year. They have a strong, sound program that has benefitted greatly from continuity and consistency. We are constantly rebuilding, they are reloading. I didn't need to see them beat up on a bad team to know and understand any of that.

Welcome back sir
U
Pretty sure I'm not the one with the reading comp problem. I'm disagreeing with your opinion and providing a basis for my disagreement. And I don't need any credentials, just a brain, to recognize that this year is not last year. We lost a lot of important people from last year's team, including and especially the guy who worked an absolute miracle with installing, running and calling our offense. Defensively we are basically starting from scratch. Some talented young guys but very little experience. It's not if they will struggle, it's how bad. This is not the team that beat Clemson last year.

So a lot of offensive uncertainty, and a lot of defensive youth and inexperience. Stanford is most certainly not Alabama but they are in a much better place than we are this year. They have a strong, sound program that has benefitted greatly from continuity and consistency. We are constantly rebuilding, they are reloading. I didn't need to see them beat up on a bad team to know and understand any of that.

We are rated around #32 Stanford #14 pre-season. If correct (of course it may not be) one would expect a #14 and a #32 to be fairly competitive.

That being said, I believe that overall we will ultimately ( mid to late in season?) be a better overall team than we were last season. Just a gut feeling, though.

You guys are arguing how you compare to a team you don't play?

You guys are arguing how you compare to a team you don't play?

Mostly it began in the context of how comparatively we should perform against a common weak opponent (Rice) or more generically how we might stack up against a top 15 opponent in general. It did get off the rails from there. Threads tend to do that!

TE & OL equal.

WR equal or better

Wrong

And so it begins...

wow, they sound like "the six million dollar team"...."we have the technology"

wow, they sound like "the six million dollar team"...."we have the technology"
It's all relative. I'm comparing them only to us-this year. If we were comparing Stanford to Bama (the true 6 Million Dollar team) or an FSU, OSU, etc, it would be different. But this is comparing this year's Stanford team to this year's Pitt team, period. They outclass us across the board--offense, defense, special teams, depth, experience, talent, coaching. We may have an individual player or two that is better than his Stanford counterpart, but I'm talking about the whole team and program this year.

TE & OL equal.

WR equal or better

If you're talking about the only sport that matters: attendance, we'll be right there with them. As for football, they are much better.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT