ADVERTISEMENT

How many are left?

gary2

Athletic Director
Jul 21, 2001

count-counting.gif

I mean Houston would’ve beaten Duke had their all American not gotten injured but it is Duke so literally every break will go their way.
Impossible to know for sure. He could have had the type of game as UNC's All American PG and actually hurt the team. Who would have thought he could have possibly played that badly? It happens.

Future Big 12 members Arizona and Colorado were eliminated too. Clemson took out two Big 12s while Duke and NC State each took out one. In every matchup the ACC was the lower seed.
Damn Straight!

I mean Houston would’ve beaten Duke had their all American not gotten injured but it is Duke so literally every break will go their way.
Obviously losing Shead changed the outlook significantly, but I think you’re selling Duke short. The game was going to be low scoring regardless and Duke is a team that can win in a rock fight.

I know in the ACC, Duke gets every advantage. Let's not forget they took like what 8 & 1/2 minutes to review who a loose ball went off against Pitt, then reversed the on-court call and gave Duke the ball despite no clear evidence.

However, I don't think Duke gets any special treatment in the NCAA tourney. At least no more than other name brand basketball school. They did when Coach K was there and some refs were intimated by the legend and/or kissing his butt. But now, I don't they are quite as special, but a high-seeded (Top 4 seed) blue blood like Duke, UNC, Kansas, Kentucky, etc is always going to get some benefit from the refs.

I know in the ACC, Duke gets every advantage. Let's not forget they took like what 8 & 1/2 minutes to review who a loose ball went off against Pitt, then reversed the on-court call and gave Duke the ball despite no clear evidence.

However, I don't think Duke gets any special treatment in the NCAA tourney. At least no more than other name brand basketball school. They did when Coach K was there and some refs were intimated by the legend and/or kissing his butt. But now, I don't they are quite as special, but a high-seeded (Top 4 seed) blue blood like Duke, UNC, Kansas, Kentucky, etc is always going to get some benefit from the refs.
All you have to do is look how many free throws Texas A&M got against Houston. I think it’s obvious Duke was not getting preferential treatment.

If Pitt had Dior Johnson we're undefeated and in the Elite Eight.

If it's and but's were candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas.

Injuries happen. Houston wasn't good enough to overcome it, so buh bye.

I guess Big12 gets a moral victory here. The committee counts those as more important than actual conference wins.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
If Pitt had Dior Johnson we're undefeated and in the Elite Eight.

If it's and but's were candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas.

Injuries happen. Houston wasn't good enough to overcome it, so buh bye.

I guess Big12 gets a moral victory here. The committee counts those as more important than actual conference wins.
If Pitt had a guy that was never on the roster for this year and beat a woman they would’ve went undefeated? Ok. Pretty similar parallel to an all American getting hurt with 26 mins left and losing by 3 imo.

This tournament and Pitt being left out has wrecked Pitt fans brains

If Pitt had a guy that was never on the roster for this year and beat a woman they would’ve went undefeated? Ok. Pretty similar parallel to an all American getting hurt with 26 mins left and losing by 3 imo.

Injuries are part of the game . What excuse are you making if he had foul trouble or if he shot 3 -20 that night . That’s why they play the game . Great teams find a way .

My point is that once you make up hypotheticals, credibility is gone. There is no evidence that my hypothetical is false. It's why there is a scoreboard and hypotheticals don't count (except in Div 1 college sports selection committees).
My hypothetical is as valid as yours. Neither is valid.

I don’t think Kelvin Sampson used it as an excuse. And Jon scheyer never used missing 2 players for losing to Pitt. Odd response; per usual.

Houston wins if their best player doesn’t get hurt. Not a far leap
Pitt wins at least 1 more game if Ish is fully healthy all year, makes the tournament, and then Pitt goes on a run in the Big Dance.

Hey dumbass. The early travel roster was constructed accordingly. Other recruits looked elsewhere looking at how the Pitt roster was constructed. A center prospect was lost. A bench center was lost. We now hear the pundits using excuses for other conferences but it was always “results matter” in Nov/Dec. Pitt and other teams had to develop on the fly with youth. But now, results don’t matter - just excuses, ya know.

Reactions: gary2
Hey dumbass. The early travel roster was constructed accordingly. Other recruits looked elsewhere looking at how the Pitt roster was constructed. A center prospect was lost. A bench center was lost. We now hear the pundits using excuses for other conferences but it was always “results matter” in Nov/Dec. Pitt and other teams had to develop on the fly with youth. But now, results don’t matter - just excuses, ya know.
That's right! We lost Kante too. Would have beaten everyone by at least 30.
We should hang the hypothetical championship banner and have a parade like Houston!

Reactions: Parkview57
Correct. Pitt was the only one dealt with any adversity again. Just like during Covid.

The mental health of Pitt fans is not good

Or they make the big dance if they simply play the city game instead of SC State
The whole point that myself and others have stated is that everyone can get into what if’s. But you are on a mission to try and diminish Pitt’s accomplishments along with the other trolls on this board. I’m sure fake addy guy will be chiming in any second.

The whole point that myself and others have stated is that everyone can get into what if’s. But you are on a mission to try and diminish Pitt’s accomplishments along with the other trolls on this board. I’m sure fake addy guy will be chiming in any second.
I said literally nothing of Pitt’s achievements, which were brought up by everyone else in the thread in response to me pointing out the obvious that Duke loses if Houston doesn’t lose their AA.

Again, the mental health of this board is not well.

Reactions: rockypanther
Correct. Pitt was the only one dealt with any adversity again. Just like during Covid.

The mental health of Pitt fans is not good
This is really flawed. The point is an excuse was made for Houston in this thread. That’s what started the whole thing.

And regarding Covid, when good established programs can’t get recruits to campus, it’s a much easier sell for those programs than it was for Pitt who was not far removed from the death penalty and had to sell kids over the computer. If anyone can’t see the humongous difference there then I don’t know what to say. Every time we hear a kid interviewed after an official we hear them say that they had one opinion of Pitt/Pittsburgh before the visit and an entirely different opinion after it.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
This is really flawed. The point is an excuse was made for Houston in this thread. That’s what started the whole thing.

And regarding Covid, when good established programs can’t get recruits to campus, it’s a much easier sell for those programs than it was for Pitt who was not far removed from the death penalty and had to sell kids over the computer. If anyone can’t see the humongous difference there then I don’t know what to say. Every time we hear a kid interviewed after an official we hear them say that they had one opinion of Pitt/Pittsburgh before the visit and an entirely different opinion after it.
Correct. It affected Pitt differently than every other program. They just landed their best class in 2020, then landed Santos who obviously ended up developing and Jamarious Burton.

Losing an AA with 26 mins left not valid for Houston losing by 3.

Going through a pandemic like everyone else, relying on a guy who stole a car and overate, relying on a guy who beat a woman… all valid excuses. I mean cmon what are we even doing here

Reactions: rockypanther
Correct. It affected Pitt differently than every other program. They just landed their best class in 2020, then landed Santos who obviously ended up developing and Jamarious Burton.

Losing an AA with 26 mins left not valid for Houston losing by 3.

Going through a pandemic like everyone else, relying on a guy who stole a car and overate, relying on a guy who beat a woman… all valid excuses. I mean cmon what are we even doing here
I don’t think you can assume a loss. Remember when Big 10 Player of the Year Kalin Lucas tore his achilles against Maryland in an early round game? Korie Lucius hit the game winner and MSU made a run to the Final Four.

I think you and I usually see things in a similar fashion. I think this is a case where we don’t.

Last edited:
The fact I could say the obvious: Houston was a great team that had an adverse circumstance happen in a tournament game, which Sampson did not say, and Pitt fans could so vehemently defend Duke of all teams in the name of conference supremacy has convinced me Pitt fans need to take a break from hoops. Pitt twitter and this board look genuinely insane from how butthurt they have been

The fact I could say the obvious: Houston was a great team that had an adverse circumstance happen in a tournament game, which Sampson did not say, and Pitt fans could so vehemently defend Duke of all teams in the name of conference supremacy has convinced me Pitt fans need to take a break from hoops. Pitt twitter and this board look genuinely insane from how butthurt they have been
We're not responding to Sampson. We're responding to you. You said the reason for the loss was the injury. That may be correct. But maybe not. It's still a loss.
And what I love about this tournament is all but one end with a loss. All losers. Houston. Losers. UNC. Losers. Better luck next year.

And I don't understand how US sports are so reliant on metrics while still using the King's Imperial Standards of weights and measures. And the UK still uses the pound as currency instead of 454 grams.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT