ADVERTISEMENT

How many people are you expecting for the UCF game?

Why does this remind me of when Louisville was entering The Big East?

Their fans thought they were always going to be one of the top teams in the country, year in and year out. And were quick to tell anyone who would listen.
It was the same with Utah fans, Cincy fans, UConn fans and remember how Rutgers was going to be the BigEast saviour? Fan afterall is short for fanatic. Unfortunately, those teams achieved what they did at our expense.

UCF is the #17 team in the country. One of the best teams you will play all year.

It amazes me why fans of teams feel the need to go other teams sites to tell the other team how good their team is??
Especially this site?

Don't you have something else to do?

If you live in FL go play golf, tennis, shuffleboard, hit a bar, go chase flamingo's around do something other than trying to convince negative PITT fans that you have a great team!

Some PITT fans wont admit the PITT team is great even if the PITT team becomes great!

Most of these posters don't even attend PITT games even though they live down the street from the stadium.
Like the poster who thought you were cute? Doesn't have tickets, and doesn't go to games but mouths off all day on this site. Typical PITT PantherLair free board poster.

Go back to your site, tell all you're fans how great you are, wait until we actually play the game and we can begin bad mouthing eachother at that time!

UCF is another directional school and you just don’t see schools like that sustain for long. They are no better than the 4th best program in their state. In that they are not much different than Ohio, Toledo, or Cincy. That won’t draw much in the way of attention. That’s why you can get tickets on line at the 45.

That’s also why no major conference wants them.
One could argue that Southern Cal is a directional school.

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
While a UCF fan, I am attending the Pitt Game for much more than this one game. I'm going to soak in the atmosphere and tradition that is Pitt, play a team with an amazing pedigree. Look at the parade of players that have worn the uniform -Ditka, Marino, Dorsett, Ironhead Heyward, Hugh Green, Larry Fitzgerald, Mark May, Bill Fralic. Marino's Pitt squad defeated Herschel Walker's Sugar Bowl Georgia team back in the day. We are talking about some of the greatest to ever play the game!

Tons of respect for Pitt. Looking forward to an entertaining game!

I dont think they have the stigma of a directional school. It's just that nobody in Pittsburgh knows anything about them. I'd even venture say that most couldn't differentiate UCF from Ohio in terms of football quality. We saw when Oklahoma State came in here with a #15 ranking for a nooner and nobody showed up.

I would bet a team like Minnesota or Purdue would draw a bigger crowd at Heinz than UCF.
Have to agree that until recently, UCF wasn't in Pitt's orbit. Pitt has fielded a team since the 1890s, and UCF, a newer university, didn't start playing football until 1979. Even then, it was lower-echelon ball in DII ,D-1AA. It wasn't really until Daunte Culpepper arrived on the scene, that anyone knew much about the Knights. The 2014 Fiesta Bowl win over 5th ranked Baylor turned some heads, as did the win over Auburn in the Peach Bowl, but notoriety has been long in coming. Surely though, there must have been some smiles in Pittsburgh when UCF rolled PSU in Happy Valley! Seems like the future is bright now, as more Florida preps are choosing UCF instead of playing out of state. Hope the trajectory continues.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Have to agree that until recently, UCF wasn't in Pitt's orbit. Pitt has fielded a team since the 1890s, and UCF, a newer university, didn't start playing football until 1979. Even then, it was lower-echelon ball in DII ,D-1AA. It wasn't really until Daunte Culpepper arrived on the scene, that anyone knew much about the Knights. The 2014 Fiesta Bowl win over 5th ranked Baylor turned some heads, as did the win over Auburn in the Peach Bowl, but notoriety has been long in coming. Surely though, there must have been some smiles in Pittsburgh when UCF rolled PSU in Happy Valley! Seems like the future is bright now, as more Florida preps are choosing UCF instead of playing out of state. Hope the trajectory continues.
It is impressive that UCF has made a NY6 bowl three out of the last six years. Granted, 2013 sorta counts since they got an auto bid. But still, I don’t think any of the recent schools to make the jump (TCU, Utah, Cincinnati) or even Boise State can say that, let alone most P5 schools.

Certainly your best home game.

Look - I get you are excited about UCF. But here is the thing:

1. This board is not a good representation of Pitt fans. Too many sour pussed posters who like to bitch and moan and not attend games.
2. That said, this is a pro town so college football does not draw as well as schools that are the only thing in town.
3. Pitt typically averages low 40K in attendance. That can range up or down based on time of the year, start time and Pitt's record.
4. The opponent doesn't have much to do with the draw. Other than playing Notre Dame, PSU or WVU there is not much difference between other opponents to the casual fan here. I suspect Clemson will draw when they eventually come here but sorry, UCF just won't.
5. To have a bigger crowd, you would need Pitt to start off 3-0 and the game be at night

1. This board is not a good representation of Pitt fans. Too many sour pussed posters who like to bitch and moan and not attend games.
2. That said, this is a pro town so college football does not draw as well as schools that are the only thing in town.
3. Pitt typically averages low 40K in attendance. That can range up or down based on time of the year, start time and Pitt's record.
4. The opponent doesn't have much to do with the draw. Other than playing Notre Dame, PSU or WVU there is not much difference between other opponents to the casual fan here. I suspect Clemson will draw when they eventually come here but sorry, UCF just won't.
5. To have a bigger crowd, you would need Pitt to start off 3-0 and the game be at night
Here's to hoping Pitt starts 3-0!

Reactions: superstein61a
Nobody cares about your program.
You’re a mid major

There's some truth to that. Until we get the invitation to join a P5 league, we find ourselves in the role of being a good G5 team. It's definitely the Old Boys Club, the Power 5, and without that badge, it finds us on the outside looking in.

I don't know why we have to be such wet blankets toward UCF or any other program. We couldn't even take advantage of playing in the shittiest power conference to ever exist. One single BCS appearance, via tie-breaker? We have nothing on anyone.

All these message boards (our's included) have these wet blankets, and if you visit another site, I guess you hafta expect some pushback.

Still, it's the stinging truth that our young program has had its issues in gaining a measure of respect on the National level. Even broadcasters have had a slip of the tongue, confusing UCF and USF. And before the last few years, few outside Florida could pinpoint UCF's location, despite it being the largest university in the country with well North of 60,000 students!

Here's an another case in point...what do these SEC powerhouses all have in common - Alabama, Georgia, Auburn? Answer - ALL lost their last games with UCF! It's true, but nobody cares! After a while, a team can find itself with a collective complex, and a chip on its shoulder! That factors in to the way we play now. Every game is a statement game.

I have family living in the burgh - Fox Chapel/Allison Park area, so I know there are some great Pitt fans up there. Hoping for a good game!

They also play Stanford and Pitt. They can only play who will schedule them and I doubt UF, FSU or Miami are eager to do that.
Central Florida's fight for respect recalls Florida State's similar challenge in the late 1970s under Bobby Bowden. FSU was lightly regarded and only a decade or so removed form being a "teachers college". Bowden adopted an "anywhere, any time" approach to scheduling. The Seminoles weren't afraid to go into places like LSU, Nebraska, Notre Dame or Ohio State. They didn't care about home games in return. They traveled and won, creating their infamous turf cemetery with pieces of sod and Astroturf cut from conquered enemy fields. Central is in the same boat. I don't recall the Seminoles crying for respect. They earned it.

Central Florida's fight for respect recalls Florida State's similar challenge in the late 1970s under Bobby Bowden. FSU was lightly regarded and only a decade or so removed form being a "teachers college". Bowden adopted an "anywhere, any time" approach to scheduling. The Seminoles weren't afraid to go into places like LSU, Nebraska, Notre Dame or Ohio State. They didn't care about home games in return. They traveled and won, creating their infamous turf cemetery with pieces of sod and Astroturf cut from conquered enemy fields. Central is in the same boat. I don't recall the Seminoles crying for respect. They earned it.

That's the only way to do it. Although I'm sure it really ticked off opponents to find divots of their Astroturf missing!
We have ranked Stanford coming to Orlando the week before we play Pitt. They are solid and well-coached, and we'll know more about this year's squad after that game.

# 1 - is on the money.
One of the fat worthless dopes responded to your post.

The same lazy dopes who are on this site posting all day don't buy tickets or attend games.
Worthless PITT fans.
I get my season tickets today UPS from Little Rock Ak and prepare to drive 600 rt to each home game and maybe one away game this year!

Thanks for proving my point. You are one of the many who bitch and moan about everything
He is one of the big time PITT free Panther Lair poster losers.

We travel to games 600 rt miles, just got our season tickets tonight via The Big Brown Truck UPS, spend thousands traveling and staying in town and this loser posts all day long and spends 0.0 on PITT athletics!

LOL!

That's the only way to do it. Although I'm sure it really ticked off opponents to find divots of their Astroturf missing!
We have ranked Stanford coming to Orlando the week before we play Pitt. They are solid and well-coached, and we'll know more about this year's squad after that game.

Is USF your arch-rival? Which of the other Florida schools do you get to play regularly, and which ones would you like to line up and pulverize the most?

Is USF your arch-rival? Which of the other Florida schools do you get to play regularly, and which ones would you like to line up and pulverize the most?

They try to build up Duh Bullsss from USF as an arch-rival, but I'd rather play UF or FSU. They were really good some years back, and were knocking off the Seminoles, and other highly-ranked teams ( and us). The tide has turned now and hopefully will remain so. I'm looking forward to the day we'll have traditional P5 intraleague rivals.

Reactions: KnightFanHBB

Bowden is clearly one of the all-time all-time greats, but he also benefited from an era where if you won games as an independent, a big conference (in his case, the ACC in 1992) would eventually invite you to join them. That era is over too late for UCF.

UCF has offered to play away only games haven't they? Or have they been stubborn and asked for home and home series?

Bowden is clearly one of the all-time all-time greats, but he also benefited from an era where if you won games as an independent, a big conference (in his case, the ACC in 1992) would eventually invite you to join them. That era is over too late for UCF.

UCF has offered to play away only games haven't they? Or have they been stubborn and asked for home and home series?
Don't know. If I were them, I'd follow the Bowden strategy. Win a big one away and you get real cred.

I noticed that Stage AE has outdoor concerts right next to Heinz Field and Stone Temple Pilots is playing the same day.

Do you think they will try to make this an early game to not have the concert and game traffic happening at the same time and to not lose Pitt fans to the concert, or has that happened before?

I noticed that Stage AE has outdoor concerts right next to Heinz Field and Stone Temple Pilots is playing the same day.

Do you think they will try to make this an early game to not have the concert and game traffic happening at the same time and to not lose Pitt fans to the concert, or has that happened before?
That is interesting. I didn’t know STP was playing. STP says they start at 5:30, and Stage AE has a capacity of about 5k.

Nobody has ever brought more than 12-15K to Heinz. Anyone that thinks Cincy brought 25K has gone full retard. Pitt will almost always have their core of 35-40K. If PSU-ND-WVU show up, another 10-15K big game only Pitt fans show. Even the biggest WVU-ND- PSU contingents are at most 15K. WVU can't even sell out in Morgantown and PSU has 15-20K empty seats unless Mich or OSU are in town with their huge travelling fanbases.

In 2016 PSU brought more than 12 to 15k.

They try to build up Duh Bullsss from USF as an arch-rival, but I'd rather play UF or FSU. They were really good some years back, and were knocking off the Seminoles, and other highly-ranked teams ( and us). The tide has turned now and hopefully will remain so. I'm looking forward to the day we'll have traditional P5 intraleague rivals.
Actually, my current favorite non P5 rivalry game is probably UCF v. USF. Seems to be lotta real hatred there. Incredible game a few years ago.

I say this with all due respect to UCF, because UCF scares me.

However, on a national media basis, at the end of the day, UCF is a mid-major. Pitt will be examined for either beating or losing to a nondescript G5 opponent. Pitt's administration is a bunch of idiots for scheduling one of the best non-P5 teams in the country.

I say this with all due respect to UCF, because UCF scares me.

However, on a national media basis, at the end of the day, UCF is a mid-major. Pitt will be examined for either beating or losing to a nondescript G5 opponent. Pitt's administration is a bunch of idiots for scheduling one of the best non-P5 teams in the country.

When did we schedule them, though? They were just 0-12 in 2015.

UCF is another directional school and you just don’t see schools like that sustain for long. They are no better than the 4th best program in their state.

D5LgZZPWwAIc2Yz

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT