ADVERTISEMENT

How many people are you expecting for the UCF game?

For a team that played in the ACC Championship game last season, there is certainly a depressing feeling about Pitt fans and how they feel about their football program and attendance.

We have listened to pretty much every national media pundit who all predict us to go 6-6 at best.

Reactions: PittMiamiRivalry
If Pitt's having a strong start, should be well attended. Something like 50K+. SMF above is right though... A name like UCF won't grab the attention of the casuals. Even though they've been highly impressive as of late, they don't carry the cache of a blue blood with rich history.

Diehard Pitt fans will there and ready to roll.

Reactions: Pittski
Pretty much. 99.9% of people in Pittsburgh have no idea UCF is good at football. 99% never heard of UCF
UCF, as a school, has an identity problem. I agree with what you say, but there is no way the largest school in the country, which they are, should carry the stigma of a “directional school”.

Reactions: KnightFanHBB
With all due respect, UCF is 25-1 over the last two seasons and has been a major national story. We get the same crowd as Ohio does at Pitt?

With all due respect, that record was mostly built on AAC tomato cans. And the major national story was kept alive by publicity stunts such as declaring yourselves national champions. You have to realize the apathy of our fans: A non-conference game against a non-Power 5 school will not draw fans. That's not a knock on UCF but the reality of the situation.

I expect a larger crowd for OU than UCF. There are a lot of OU alums in Western PA plus a bunch within driving distance (Cleveland, Akron, Columbus, Cinci).

If we are 3-0 for UCF, I bet we could top 50K but that's the max.

Nobody has ever brought more than 12-15K to Heinz. Anyone that thinks Cincy brought 25K has gone full retard. Pitt will almost always have their core of 35-40K. If PSU-ND-WVU show up, another 10-15K big game only Pitt fans show. Even the biggest WVU-ND- PSU contingents are at most 15K. WVU can't even sell out in Morgantown and PSU has 15-20K empty seats unless Mich or OSU are in town with their huge travelling fanbases.

For a team that played in the ACC Championship game last season, there is certainly a depressing feeling about Pitt fans and how they feel about their football program and attendance.

Well, in retrospect, you're dealing with a bunch of loser PSU fans who have nothing better to do than troll a Pitt message board.

UCF, as a school, has an identity problem. I agree with what you say, but there is no way the largest school in the country, which they are, should carry the stigma of a “directional school”.

I dont think they have the stigma of a directional school. It's just that nobody in Pittsburgh knows anything about them. I'd even venture say that most couldn't differentiate UCF from Ohio in terms of football quality. We saw when Oklahoma State came in here with a #15 ranking for a nooner and nobody showed up.

I would bet a team like Minnesota or Purdue would draw a bigger crowd at Heinz than UCF.

The same diehards who attend every game, by definition, will attend. That's about 30,000.

The issue are the others who are "maybe, depending on..." crowd. Some factors are constant every game, such as game time, and weather, and Pitt's record at the time.

Quality of opponent is another factor. This game will offer a unique dichotomy in that department:

Half of those who don't attend will be college football ignoramuses who have no idea what UCF is, and will assume they're just another sucky FCS or sub-MAC quality team we often play early in the season... and won't attend. That attitude will even extend to a loss: "Pitt LOST to that garbage team???" I know this to be the case because I heard this exact statement from a coworker (Pitt grad at that) LAST season when UCF was even better. (Predictably, this guy went to the PSU game and no other).

The other half who don't attend will be smarter college football fans who definitely know who UCF is and that UCF is well above our class at this point in time. Thus likely to stomp Pitt (again). So they won't attend for THAT reason. "I didn't want to see us get our asses kicked again".

Two diametrically opposed viewpoints on UCF... but both combining to contribute to many empty seats.

UCF doesn't move needle for attendance. Same crowd as any non P5 team. Sorry to burst your bubble UCF fans. Attendance for this game will be dictated on the following (in this order):

weather
start time
announced giveaways or fireworks
Pitt's record

Reactions: cbpitt2 and djbpitt
Central is good and maybe, probably will pin Pitt's ears back. But I don't see the crowd breaking 35K, not even with Pitt arithmetic.

Certainly your best home game.

You asked the question, don't be sour because you didn't get the answer you wanted to hear. I think it is great if UCF fans want to discuss the game, but I don't feel like you guys are all that interested in doing that. You are looking for Pitt fans to validate that you are a rising super power in CFB. The discussion always end up in "We are 25-1 the last two years" and "Did you know we beat Auburn". Questioning SOS or your claim to a title is blasphemy and then you guys start taking shots at Pitt or the ACC. UCF has had a nice run the past two years, but you are not a blue blood name program that has national draw. That isn't a knock on your team, it is just the truth about the program's perception.

The only opposing fan bases that I recall having a noticeably large contingent at Pitt games are PSU, WVU, ND, Ohio State and Nebraska. VT had a decent amount when they were better.

The Yinzer Response: What the hell is a UCF?

Maybe?
th

The only opposing fan bases that I recall having a noticeably large contingent at Pitt games are PSU, WVU, ND, Ohio State and Nebraska. VT had a decent amount when they were better.

I'll be curious to see what Clemson and Tennessee do, in terms of ticket sales/attendance here. I imagine Clemson will be a sellout, and they'll bring something in the ballpark of 10K. I don't have a great feel one way or the other for Tennessee.

Reactions: Ronnyp91
I'll be curious to see what Clemson and Tennessee do, in terms of ticket sales/attendance here. I imagine Clemson will be a sellout, and they'll bring something in the ballpark of 10K. I don't have a great feel one way or the other for Tennessee.

More orange than blue for both games.

You asked the question, don't be sour because you didn't get the answer you wanted to hear. I think it is great if UCF fans want to discuss the game, but I don't feel like you guys are all that interested in doing that. You are looking for Pitt fans to validate that you are a rising super power in CFB. The discussion always end up in "We are 25-1 the last two years" and "Did you know we beat Auburn". Questioning SOS or your claim to a title is blasphemy and then you guys start taking shots at Pitt or the ACC. UCF has had a nice run the past two years, but you are not a blue blood name program that has national draw. That isn't a knock on your team, it is just the truth about the program's perception.

He wanted affirmation or it's a troll.

I don't think we should be too hard on UCF for having an inflated self identity. We've been a .500 program or worse for 80 years. We had a UCF-like run for 5-6 years 40 years ago and look at how we see ourselves?

I don't think we should be too hard on UCF for having an inflated self identity. We've been a .500 program or worse for 80 years. We had a UCF-like run for 5-6 years 40 years ago and look at how we see ourselves?

Pitt in the mid '70s and early 80s was nowhere like present-day UCF. We had defenses that could curb-stomp any team -- ANY TEAM -- in the country. The 1980 Pitt team alone featured seven first round draft picks, 23 players who went on to start in the NFL, seven others who played in the NFL, and one player each who played in the CFL and the USFL.

How many teams in all of college football history can claim 23 NFL starters from one season's roster?

And Pitt and Stanford.
One FCS, One G5, two P5 is how we schedule annually.

Then don't complain about a lack of respect. Given the lack of SOS in conference, UCF needs to put up or shut up -- the former of which requires "scheduling up."

Then don't complain about a lack of respect. Given the lack of SOS in conference, UCF needs to put up or shut up -- the former of which requires "scheduling up."

You clearly don’t follow college football much. We can’t play 4 OOC P5 games on the road because we can’t lose home games. We make 3 million for home games.

And very few P5’s are willing to schedule us right now because we would beat many of them.

You have the benefit of ACC money coming in.

Why does this remind me of when Louisville was entering The Big East?

Their fans thought they were always going to be one of the top teams in the country, year in and year out. And were quick to tell anyone who would listen.

Reactions: pittdan77
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT