ADVERTISEMENT

How recruiting is the main ingredient over everything else

TD_istheman

Junior
Nov 3, 2015
Grobe, not a bad coach at all, never won a lot of games , but was at schools that didn't recruit well. He is now at Baylor, where they were recruiting studs, some of those studs were not good people, they are gone. Baylor has the Jimmy and joes, and Grobe hasn't missed a beat with the change of coaches.

I never want Pitt to recruit bad people , but I would like them to pony up the budget to recruit all over the country. We all think Duzz is still the right guy, but he won't change the system to fit the players, so hopefully he brings in top talent , more of a must here then ever, or it just won't work here. Not if he won't change or bend his system

PITT likely have the least experienced secondary at this point. Jackson and Hamlin are less than 3 games into their careers, Lewis was rarely used, and Webb was used when needed last year. Obviously Whitehead has a pretty solid resume, but even he is only a sophomore .

Experience and physical ability make a huge difference in this defensive secondary .

ESPN just said, Dana at WVU changed up some of his philosophy, and now uses some clock, to rest the D, and control the game. They said that's why he has been more successful this year. Sometimes , you have to change what you are doing , tweak it , especially when others figure things out.

Michigan St is now going through so pains , so maybe offenses have figured it out

Reactions: pbrad
PITT likely have the least experienced secondary at this point. Jackson and Hamlin are less than 3 games into their careers, Lewis was rarely used, and Webb was used when needed last year. Obviously Whitehead has a pretty solid resume, but even he is only a sophomore .

Experience and physical ability make a huge difference in this defensive secondary .

Great points , I agree

Reactions: VAPITTALUM
ESPN just said, Dana at WVU changed up some of his philosophy, and now uses some clock, to rest the D, and control the game. They said that's why he has been more successful this year. Sometimes , you have to change what you are doing , tweak it , especially when others figure things out.

Michigan St is now going through so pains , so maybe offenses have figured it out
You have to be willing to make adjustments as a coach. heck, look at the adjustments PITT made against VT after the jet sweeps weren't working. Narduzzi really needs to do the same on D, which he did against UVA in the second half.

The problem in the VT game was our DL couldn't pressure the QB, since VT was simply throwing jump balls to their taller receivers. I'm not sure how you prevent that from happening. They were even beating double teams.

Reactions: pitts-lament
You have to be willing to make adjustments as a coach. heck, look at the adjustments PITT made against VT after the jet sweeps weren't working. Narduzzi really needs to do the same on D, which he did against UVA in the second half.

The problem in the VT game was our DL couldn't pressure the QB, since VT was simply throwing jump balls to their taller receivers. I'm not sure how you prevent that from happening. They were even beating double teams.[/QUOTE

Great observations . ....Paul chryst not only failed in recruiting defensive backs....but guys like blair...soto....are not enough on the DL particularly in their lack of pass rush.

Grobe, not a bad coach at all, never won a lot of games , but was at schools that didn't recruit well. He is now at Baylor, where they were recruiting studs, some of those studs were not good people, they are gone. Baylor has the Jimmy and joes, and Grobe hasn't missed a beat with the change of coaches.

I never want Pitt to recruit bad people , but I would like them to pony up the budget to recruit all over the country. We all think Duzz is still the right guy, but he won't change the system to fit the players, so hopefully he brings in top talent , more of a must here then ever, or it just won't work here. Not if he won't change or bend his system
Umm Jim Grobe won ACC championships at Wake freaking Forest....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT