ADVERTISEMENT

Hugley and Davis..

I’d take James Robinson starting on my team as long as the right players were around him.

But as an example, I don’t think James would have been quite as successful last year as Xavier was. James just didn’t have X’s ability to make things happen.

But as a point guard, Xavier would also need to demonstrate that he could compliment and improve a good team. Perhaps he can indeed do that, but we don’t know this yet. But X’s erratic style leaves the question as to whether he could.

I love X, but this is still a fair criticism of him at this point in his career at Pitt.

the worst season James Robinson had the team went 8-10 in the acc and made the nit

people forget with James as a starter we won 40 conference games over his 4 years

when’s the next time we have a player who contributes to a team willing that many conference games?

Reactions: mo cheeks
he did make the team around him better as I described

they won.

Or he kept them from reaching their potential. What do you think those teams would have done with Krauser or a Fields at the point?

Jrob at the point effectively removed the threat of a fast break and exposed his lack of scoring in an offensive set.

Xavier Johnson is a bonafide NBA talent. Generational speed that can beat anybody off the dribble. Finishes at the rim. Odd looking shot but still a better shooter. Entire game-plans designed to stop or control him.
James Robinson may be a wonderful person but he was by far the worst Pitt guard in the line-up of great Pitt guards over the years and does not posess a single talent that stacks up to Xavier Johnson.

Or he kept them from reaching their potential. What do you think those teams would have done with Krauser or a Fields at the point?

Jrob at the point effectively removed the threat of a fast break and exposed his lack of scoring in an offensive set.

Well, also look what happened without him. The NIT team became a 16-17 team with the other starters returning. Of course, we could attribute that drop off 100% to Stallings coaching instead, perhaps?

IMO, when Stallings failed to immediately find a replacement point guard somewhere (Grad Transfer, JUCO, etc.) going into his first season he put the "first nail in his [coaching] coffin" at Pitt.

Well, also look what happened without him. The NIT team became a 16-17 team with the other starters returning. Of course, we could attribute that drop off 100% to Stallings coaching instead, perhaps?

IMO, when Stallings failed to immediately find a replacement point guard somewhere (Grad Transfer, JUCO, etc.) going into his first season he put the "first nail in his [coaching] coffin" at Pitt.
As much as Stallings was to blame the former coach left the cupboard bare !

As much as Stallings was to blame the former coach left the cupboard bare !

Not for Stallings year #1. IMO, had Capel been hired initially vs Stallings he would have found a serviceable point guard immediately and year #1 would have been an NIT repeat and a platform for far better year #2 recruiting and an 8-24 debacle would never had happened.

Not for Stallings year #1. IMO, had Capel been hired initially vs Stallings he would have found a serviceable point guard immediately and year #1 would have been an NIT repeat and a platform for far better year #2 recruiting and an 8-24 debacle would never had happened.

By all means everyone keep expanding on this stuff. I’ve often wondered where it all went wrong. This new info really helps.

Reactions: Phil Ballz_
Xavier Johnson is a bonafide NBA talent. Generational speed that can beat anybody off the dribble. Finishes at the rim. Odd looking shot but still a better shooter. Entire game-plans designed to stop or control him.
James Robinson may be a wonderful person but he was by far the worst Pitt guard in the line-up of great Pitt guards over the years and does not posess a single talent that stacks up to Xavier Johnson.

Uh, his assist to TO ratio was wayyy better than X's at least in his first year. JR was very good in limiting TO's while X has been too TO prone at times although that can easily be attributed to him trying to do too much.

NBA talent is a reference to his explosive ability on the floor, something no other PG at Pitt in the last 30 years has had. Keep in mind he was learning to play point last year, and I lost count of how many TOs he got because of weak hands fielding the said pass.
I'm not in the camp that he is ready and I don't like his shot, but he is a talent. My guess is we'll see improvement this year on the TOs and hus shot. How he lands on the draft board ... we shall see. I can't wait to see these guys play this year!
Uh, his assist to TO ratio was wayyy better than X's at least in his first year. JR was very good in limiting TO's while X has been too TO prone at times although that can easily be attributed to him trying to do too much.

Reactions: Drew1208
I keep seeing the same post saying X had to many TO's and his jumper wasn't good enough.
IMO This yr I think you'll see a stronger more improved and a smoother player with less TO' s and a better jumper do to better coaching/ conditioning.
You'll see better leadership because he understands what JC wants out of him and he'll be more of an extension of the coach.
This is why I think if he stays healthy he'll be ready for the NBA if he wants to go. IMHO

"I edited this post for those that want to point out I was wrong about my information about how old X is and his reclassification."

Last edited:
He reclassified to graduate early so he should have been a senior last year but instead he was a 17yr old freshman in college that had to do a whole lot more than he had expected to do and wore down.

I think the truly amazing thing is that he was a 17 year old freshman last year, and yet next month he's going to turn 20. How many people do you know that could squeeze three years of living into just one calendar year? Not many.

Well, either that or he was a 19 year old freshman last year, not 17. One or the other.

I think the truly amazing thing is that he was a 17 year old freshman last year, and yet next month he's going to turn 20. How many people do you know that could squeeze three years of living into just one calendar year? Not many.

Well, either that or he was a 19 year old freshman last year, not 17. One or the other.

My mistake I thought I heard somebody say he was 17 when it first came in even so it was a tough situation coming in not being a five-star can't miss Prospect.
Thanks for clarifying!

My mistake I thought I heard somebody say he was 17 when it first came in even so it was a tough situation coming in not being a five-star can't miss Prospect.
Thanks for clarifying!

You are confusing your players. Trey and Toney could have been high school seniors last year. X was committed to NE until his recruiter left.

Reactions: Tonyt66
You are confusing your players. Trey and Toney could have been high school seniors last year. X was committed to NE until his recruiter left.
I see this on here all the time and it’s incorrect every single time. Trey mcGowens absolutely 100 percent COULD NOT have been a HS senior last year. He did 3 years at Wren HS in SC then decided to class back a class and do SENIOR year at Hargrave and a PG year at Hargrave.

He could’ve been a post grad last year

Not meaning to be critical of JRob, but he didn't have X's ability to drive in the lane. X is a much more athletic, aggressive player and that is going to lead to some TO's. JRob was more of "safety first" kind of PG.

Johnson turns 20 next month. He was actually an "old" freshman. McGowens turned 19 in May. He is pretty much exactly where he is supposed to be when comparing his age and his grade classification. Toney will be 20 in November. He was also an "old" freshman.

I'm not sure where the notion that some number of these guys were young as freshmen came from, but it's clearly not correct. And it's not like that isn't something that's easy to find out. Pitt lists all the guys birthdays on the web site.

Reactions: Storm_Of_Vader
Johnson turns 20 next month. He was actually an "old" freshman. McGowens turned 19 in May. He is pretty much exactly where he is supposed to be when comparing his age and his grade classification. Toney will be 20 in November. He was also an "old" freshman.

I'm not sure where the notion that some number of these guys were young as freshmen came from, but it's clearly not correct. And it's not like that isn't something that's easy to find out. Pitt lists all the guys birthdays on the web site.
Yep. The toney and mcgowens classed back up to their original class

JRob would have been an ideal 4 year back up on a good team.

As a starter he was minus defender, a minus shooter, a minus scorer.

He could effectively bring the ball up court and not take risks to avoid turnovers- that's about it.
My biggest problem with JRob is that his Freshman year was as good as his SR year. He never got better.

NBA talent is a reference to his explosive ability on the floor, something no other PG at Pitt in the last 30 years has had. Keep in mind he was learning to play point last year, and I lost count of how many TOs he got because of weak hands fielding the said pass.
I'm not in the camp that he is ready and I don't like his shot, but he is a talent. My guess is we'll see improvement this year on the TOs and hus shot. How he lands on the draft board ... we shall see. I can't wait to see these guys play this year!

You said "James Robinson may be a wonderful person but he was by far the worst Pitt guard in the line-up of great Pitt guards over the years and does not posess a single talent that stacks up to Xavier Johnson." I responded saying that JR had a much
Not meaning to be critical of JRob, but he didn't have X's ability to drive in the lane. X is a much more athletic, aggressive player and that is going to lead to some TO's. JRob was more of "safety first" kind of PG.

I was just responding to Sheriffjim's statement that James Robinson "does not posess a single talent that stacks up to Xavier Johnson". JR was very good at limiting TO's and mistakes during the four years he played at Pitt.

You said "James Robinson may be a wonderful person but he was by far the worst Pitt guard in the line-up of great Pitt guards over the years and does not posess a single talent that stacks up to Xavier Johnson." I responded saying that JR had a much

I was just responding to Sheriffjim's statement that James Robinson "does not posess a single talent that stacks up to Xavier Johnson". JR was very good at limiting TO's and mistakes during the four years he played at Pitt.

I never said anything about JR, you've got your quotes confused. My point was why X is in the draft talks after only 1 year.

His floor was his ceiling
house-collapse-new-jersey.jpg

My biggest problem with JRob is that his Freshman year was as good as his SR year. He never got better.

IMHO, like some players Robinson never had the physical potential to get any better. He was one of those few guys who had maxed his potential by his senior year in high school. That is not to say that he didn't work hard on being the best he could be, however. He was a solid and steady but unspectacular D1 point. He was seriously missed during the first year Stallings was coach and was a significant reason (among some others) why the team slipped to 16-17 with everyone else of importance returning.

Reactions: BigZeke
I never said anything about JR, you've got your quotes confused. My point was why X is in the draft talks after only 1 year.

NBA draft? IMHO, NBA draft consideration is likely only if his 3-ball % improves greatly. I say that only because I recently spoke with an NBA scout I know personally about him and got a reply that he didn't even know who XJ was--had never heard of him mentioned as a prospect. Maybe he will go to Europe to play if he leaves early?

NBA draft? IMHO, NBA draft consideration is likely only if his 3-ball % improves greatly. I say that only because I recently spoke with an NBA scout I know personally about him and got a reply that he didn't even know who XJ was--had never heard of him mentioned as a prospect. Maybe he will go to Europe to play if he leaves early?
From what I understand he’s gone either way if he matches last year’s production. He wants to make money

Ok well 247 lists a commitment watch in 17 days, which would indicate he plans on taking the rest of his scheduled visits. Not sure how much to be concerned with these other visits. But good material to discuss anyway...

I don't think either visit is going to end up happening, but that's just a guess.
Miami is definitely out that’s why it doesn’t make sense if he has already decided. If I’m a kid from Cleveland, I’m taking the Miami visit if I know I’m going to Pitt or NC State

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT