ADVERTISEMENT

Hugley commitment date

Wrong. He's 75 on 247. He's only 117 in their composite.

So we've got 94 on Rivals, 75 on 247 and ? on ESPN. Given that absolutely nobody takes ESPN seriously, I think we can safely call him a consensus top 100.
And even better he jumped like 80 spots in a few months.
Which is a good sign.

You have the XJ/Trey/Toney class, then the current class with drum/coul/murph/hamilton and the 2020 class he's working on with collier/hugs/Davis/etc.. so it's the 3rd class.

Reactions: Tonyt66
And even better he jumped like 80 spots in a few months.
Which is a good sign.

Watched a Hugley video for the first time. IMHO--Nice looking footwork and shots near the hoop; very physically strong; hops and quickness not impressive--probably why he is not a 1 or 2 and done type guy. IMHO, should be a nice 4-year player once he gets some college-level training, coaching and game experience.

Reactions: Drew1208
I said consensus. He's 94 with Rivals. 117 with 247 and not in ESPN 100. I am glad we are getting him. On paper, this is a big-time get for us. I am simply saying that through nearly 3 recruiting classes, McGowens is the only consensus Top 100. I know Xavier Johnson amounted to a Top 25 or Top 50 and we still have a chance to add some guys this year but if we don't start landing more Top 100s, making the NCAA Tournament is going to be very difficult
Who cares what a kid is rated coming into the program. How many 2 * players are in the NBA or were big time college players and how many 5* flamed out. It only matters what the coaching staff thinks.

Reactions: BeaverFalls1
Watched a Hugley video for the first time. IMHO--Nice looking footwork and shots near the hoop; very physically strong; hops and quickness not impressive--probably why he is not a 1 or 2 and done type guy. IMHO, should be a nice 4-year player once he gets some college-level training, coaching and game experience.
I think his hops are a lil better than people might think.
Not world class or anything but better than Coulibaly & Brown which doesn't say much but still.

Reactions: below0w
With Hugley pretty much on board at this point, it's time for Capel to get Davis to fall in love with Pitt more than Marquette and UNC

I think his hops are a lil better than people might think.
Not world class or anything but better than Coulibaly & Brown which doesn't say much but still.

Agreed. It's important to remember that he was well over 300 pounds as a sophomore. He's not an elite athlete, but he's not lacking in athleticism either. As he continues to refine his physique, he'll become more explosive.

Agreed. It's important to remember that he was well over 300 pounds as a sophomore. He's not an elite athlete, but he's not lacking in athleticism either. As he continues to refine his physique, he'll become more explosive.

At least based on the video I watched, he doesn’t appear athletic enough, IMHO, to be a PF (4) in college. I think his most suitable position in college is as a center (5).

No I don't think he is because Blackshear is 6'10 and a true 5 and Hugley is 6'8 and a 4 but if he can have a career as productive as Blackshear I'll take it.

Hugley could be 6-9 vs 6-8. It depends on the source reporting—although 6-9 seems to be more frequently reported recently.

Hugley could be 6-9 vs 6-8. It depends on the source reporting—although 6-9 seems to be more frequently reported recently.

ESPN and verbal commits have you met at 6 a.m. so like you said depends on who you get your info from but either way the quote still stands on what he is and what he say he is and that's he's not a five he's a four

This is Hugley's tweet about being a 5!

For everyone out there IM NOT A CENTER ANYMORE IM A BASKETBALL PLAYER

This is Hugley's tweet about being a 5!

For everyone out there IM NOT A CENTER ANYMORE IM A BASKETBALL PLAYER

Body screams 5. Skill set screams 5. I understand why, from a psychological point of view, he doesn't want to be limited, but to me he's a 5. It's a moot point, anyway. Nobody would have called Au'Diese a 4, yet that's where he played. Positions are fluid and if John can develop the skill set to play multiple positions, I don't see his athleticism holding him back.

If the staff called him only a 5..... he wouldn't have chosen Pitt.
He did go 5/5 from 3 once this year.

If the staff called him only a 5..... he wouldn't have chosen Pitt.
He did go 5/5 from 3 once this year.

If the staff told Au'Diese he'd spend his entire freshman season as a 4, he probably wouldn't have chosen Pitt either. There's no reason to be putting those kind of restrictions on someone before they play a single minute for you. See what he shows you when he's in the program and go from there. Particularly with a guy whose body is still changing so much, who knows where he'll be in a year or two?

If the staff told Au'Diese he'd spend his entire freshman season as a 4, he probably wouldn't have chosen Pitt either. There's no reason to be putting those kind of restrictions on someone before they play a single minute for you. See what he shows you when he's in the program and go from there. Particularly with a guy whose body is still changing so much, who knows where he'll be in a year or two?

Hmmm, what kid do think would turn down extended minutes just because it's at a less than ideal position?

Hugley looks like a big to me. He going to be a 4 that can defend the 5.

Hmmm, what kid do think would turn down extended minutes just because it's at a less than ideal position?

Hugley looks like a big to me. He going to be a 4 that can defend the 5.

A kid holding a Virginia Tech offer might. With Buzz's departure, that would have been a mistake in hindsight, but it's not at all unreasonable to think that a 2/3 hybrid would be hesitant to commit to playing as a 4.

Actually he was rated 256 by 247 and they had him listed at 6-2 165 lbs . I had on reliable sources that Tony Dorsett didn’t weighed that much in is his freshman year at Pitt . Playing RB in Fb is a little more physical than a guard in bb . Especially if you were ever on the field at historic Pitt Stadium , it was asphalt cover by an abrasive green carpet .
My point is that these rating services while useful don’t tell the whole story , everyone can recognize a talent like a Zion or a LaBron , but they make mistakes . Pitts Donte Taylor was highly rated as was Isaiah Epps ( jr yr ) there was even one and done talk surrounding Epps at the time of his recruitment .
Curry stepped right in and averaged over 20 ppg his freshman yr , I’m sure Pitt , Duke , Kentucky etc could’ve used him , but he slipped through the cracks because those who evaluate talent couldn’t get past his weight and he fell ( through the cracks ) to a powerhouse bb school like Davidson .
Obviously I’d rather have a class of highly rated guys , but if that’s the criteria you use X wouldn’t be a Panther . X fell through the cracks too , Nebraska and unfortunately Pitt right now aren’t the landing spots for the elite players . X’s play last season certainly was that of an elite freshman .
The one and done talk came from Epps, not any recruiting service that I am aware of

The one and done talk came from Epps, not any recruiting service that I am aware of
I remember when there was talk that he’d play his last yr of HS ball locally that’s when I heard the one and done stuff . Never came close to livening up to the hype .

At least based on the video I watched, he doesn’t appear athletic enough, IMHO, to be a PF (4) in college. I think his most suitable position in college is as a center (5).
Perhaps a decade or two ago, yeah he could be a 4. Perhaps with one of the few majors that build their lineup around having two big men, like FSU, he might.

But, in college basketball in the year 2019, with the predominant use of 1 in 4 out, he is not going to be a "power forward," he is going to be the one in.

That quote about "I AM A BASKETBALL PLAYER" is pretty much verbatim what HCJC says.

It is nothing new generally, for decades now most players have the dream of playing down a spot (Cs want to be PFs, PFs want to be SFs, SFs want to be shooting guards, SGs want to be PGs).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT