ADVERTISEMENT

Which player would help us most?

PittMan2003

Senior
Gold Member
Jan 29, 2016
Was thinking about some of the players who could potentially be on the roster or playing on this year’s team (either transfers or injured)

The players I could think of are XJ, Horton, Hugley, Santos, Dior, and Papa.

Is Santos overwhelmingly the one who would help us most (assuming he’s playing like 23-24 Nate)?

Theoretically some of the others could help a great deal but off court stuff and potential team chemistry could suffer.

Dior puts more wins on the total than the others.

He's playing a lot of minutes early when Lowe was hurt and then later when Ish was out.

Having that 4th option at guard would allow more 3 guard rotation which minimizes the benefit of a Santos over Austin.

Reactions: PittMan2003
Dior puts more wins on the total than the others.

He's playing a lot of minutes early when Lowe was hurt and then later when Ish was out.

Having that 4th option at guard would allow more 3 guard rotation which minimizes the benefit of a Santos over Austin.
Is he as good as our other three guards/better?

X and Hugley aren’t on the list.

Playing like he has this year, it feels like Santos has to be the #1. It would have given them the opportunity to be really threatening on the wing with Santos and Blake, with Austin and Will coming in and being problems on the defensive end. They’ve been forced to go to the three guard lineup because even though Austin has been better than expected on the defensive end and has given value there, he just hasn’t given the consistency on the offensive end.

I think the next one is honestly Horton. If they got him to buy in on the defensive end (which has been an issue for him both here and his other stops), then I think he’s another guard that you can throw into the mix, and allows you to play the three guard lineup in whatever combination with a little more comfort because you’ve got another guard as security.

Third is Dior. Similar logic to above (but you could probably even bump Bub down to the 3), but for this year’s roster only, I think having another 24 year old is preferable. Dior is a better talent, but we’ve seen a little overdribbling this year already when guys are pressing, and I’m not sure if that wouldn’t be a little more pronounced with such a ball dominant player

X and Hugley aren’t on the list.

Playing like he has this year, it feels like Santos has to be the #1. It would have given them the opportunity to be really threatening on the wing with Santos and Blake, with Austin and Will coming in and being problems on the defensive end. They’ve been forced to go to the three guard lineup because even though Austin has been better than expected on the defensive end and has given value there, he just hasn’t given the consistency on the offensive end.

I think the next one is honestly Horton. If they got him to buy in on the defensive end (which has been an issue for him both here and his other stops), then I think he’s another guard that you can throw into the mix, and allows you to play the three guard lineup in whatever combination with a little more comfort because you’ve got another guard as security.

Third is Dior. Similar logic to above (but you could probably even bump Bub down to the 3), but for this year’s roster only, I think having another 24 year old is preferable. Dior is a better talent, but we’ve seen a little overdribbling this year already when guys are pressing, and I’m not sure if that wouldn’t be a little more pronounced with such a ball dominant player

45% of our total shots this season have been from 3 point range. Im not exactly happy with that, but it is what it is. If we are going to launch 3s at this type of level, we need 3 point shooters to knock them down. We have missed a ton of wide open 3s this year.

If we add together Austin, Jorge, and Jeffress, the 3 of them are shooting a combined 27% from 3 in ACC Conference play. Having Nate Santos who is shooting 43% from 3 this year would have been a huge lift on offense.

We have also lost a lot of points in the interior because our bigs cant score well in the interior. I think the job that has been done by our freshmen guards feeding and getting the ball into the interior has been impressive. The issue has been the centers here, not the guards.

If you look at future recruiting. Brandin Cummings, Derek Dixon, Colt Langdon, etc.., we are looking hard at guys that knock down the 3 ball. So this is who we are going to be in the future. Although getting a guy that can blow by defenders and feed knock down shooters would have helped like a Dior. I think it could have been interesting too if, had we had Papa Kante who can rebound and is tough in the interior, it may have allowed to see Guillermo get more run at the 4 with Blake at the 3. Guillermo is knocking down the 3 ball at 38% in ACC play.

And when this winning streak has started 8 or so games ago, its our offense that is clicking at a really high level right now. And that is coming from shooting. How much we win down the stretch is going to be determined a lot by how good we shoot 3's. Obvious, I know.

Was thinking about some of the players who could potentially be on the roster or playing on this year’s team (either transfers or injured)

The players I could think of are XJ, Horton, Hugley, Santos, Dior, and Papa.

Is Santos overwhelmingly the one who would help us most (assuming he’s playing like 23-24 Nate)?

Theoretically some of the others could help a great deal but off court stuff and potential team chemistry could suffer.
Papa hasn’t played yet. How can you include him? Dior couldn’t stay out of trouble. XJ will still be looking for his niche 20 years from now.

Papa hasn’t played yet. How can you include him? Dior couldn’t stay out of trouble. XJ will still be looking for his niche 20 years from now.
I was just including anyone I could think of who could be on the roster and playing.

If we could add a former player, it would be Santos for me. When Hinson is off, we can struggle to score so he gives us a shooter. Long-term, I'd pick Dior but for this year's team, we are fine at guard. We need another wing scorer at times.

Hugley or Santos, since they are the only two eligible to play at Pitt this year that are not hurt.

So the obvious answer is Santos.

Hugley is averaging 7/2 in conference games. He's not better than either big we have playing.
- Definitely not Hugley. He was a detriment to the team and if he stayed
last year, Im not so sure we'd have finished as high as we did. I've seen him
a few times on tv this year and definitely wasn't impressed.
- I would pick Dior first in that he'd give us that fourth guard. There's no
denying his talent, and maybe Bub and/or Lowe would have fewer minutes.
Having another guard option also wouldn't hurt IMO.
- As for Santos the key is this year "23/24" version of Santos. He's doing great at
Dayton. However if this question were asked before this season, and posters had
only his two yrs. at Pitt to evaluate, doubtful he'd even be considered. With all
that said, I'd gladly take the "23/24" version that he's shown at Dayton. Jeffress
gives us no three ball threat, and Santos' D was good here as was his rebounding.

Last edited:
Reactions: PittMan2003
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT