ADVERTISEMENT

Hypothetical: ACC (replacement) expansion

HailToPitt725

Head Coach
May 16, 2016
With the possibility becoming greater and greater that there’s no college football in 2020, there has to be a growing concern about if some athletic departments, even at the P5 level, could make it through an academic year without no football revenue and perhaps even no basketball revenue.

Since there’s no real football to discuss right now, here’s something to ponder: let’s say the above plays out and an ACC program, we’ll say Wake Forest, either drops a division or cuts football or athletics altogether. (unlikely, I know)

How would the ACC respond to this? Would they immediately go after a replacement school to make up for such a loss? If so, who would it be? Would they target a P5 program like West Virginia or go after an AAC school such as Cincinnati? Perhaps they bring in Navy for football and remain at 14 schools for other sports?

Pretend you’re John Swofford and the ball is in your court. What say you?

If the non revenue sports aren't being played, then they don't need the football revenue to fund them. Of course there are likely costs that can't be avoided. Oh well.

Reactions: pittdan77
Not going to happen.

But if WF leaves, then first you call ND. After they say no, I would suggest trying to get Maryland back in. Maryland is making better money in the B10 but that fit is horrible and Maryland athletics is now so far off everyone's radar that it isn't funny. If that doesn't work, Navy would be my third phone call. The DC metro market is important for the ACC network and helps tie together the northeastern schools to VA and NC.

No ACC team is going to drop major sports due to this. I know I like hypotheticals but there is literally no chance of this happening.

Reactions: ThePanthers
Love the avatar leftcoast, was that in Dublin against Rutgers? I'm sure that's you then, if so very neat! H2P!
Ha! No, it's not me and yes, it is from that game in Dublin. I came across this picture and have to keep Jimmer Bundy's spirit alive. This kid got the royal treatment as I found other photos of him with players, including one where Scott Miller is holding him.

Reactions: pierre93
Ha! No, it's not me and yes, it is from that game in Dublin. I came across this picture and have to keep Jimmer Bundy's spirit alive. This kid got the royal treatment as I found other photos of him with players, including one where Scott Miller is holding him.
Oh nice thx 4 sharing! H2P!

Reactions: LeftCoastPanther
We don't want the ACC,we're shooting for the Big10.We want the big payday.
good_luck_morgan_freeman.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT