ADVERTISEMENT

I’ll be that Homer, 10+ wins with this schedule

A remotely competitive team would start 4-0 for sure, and should be 6-1 at worst going into the SMU game.

No team on our schedule looks very dangerous, but I thought we were looking at another losing season before today so I'm not changing my projection by 6+ games based on beating a terrible team.

I watched some of the WVU game. They are not a bad team, but seemed like they had multiple injuries. Only saw second half, but they have some skill.

ESPN FPI moved Pitt up 9 spots. Has Pitt favored next week. And projected 7-5. But a 4% chance now of making playoff. I’m telling yinzers, this is a soft schedule. I get people will say they will Pitt, but one game at a time. Hope is still alive through week 1.

Reactions: ChadrickB
I watched some of the WVU game. They are not a bad team, but seemed like they had multiple injuries. Only saw second half, but they have some skill.
PSU is also better than people here want to admit. One game at a time but glad we get them at home this year.

i hate to be a wet blanket but you really have to consider the quality of talent of Kent state before taking too much from this. again, i liked what i saw as well on the offensive side of the ball and it's nice to see a QB who can actually throw a football for a change. but dang if im not forcing myself to at least delay any crazy optimism until we play cincy..

but yes, open wrs, a qb who throws a beautiful ball, and yes, even a rb who looked shifty and fast with some great cuts (i've been critical of reid). even the always forgotten Carter getting some carries. Some nice plays for Bartholomew, not much to not like outside of our left tackle looking lost on a few plays.

but man, if we look even 75% as good against cincy as we did yesterday, im onboard.

Win next week, get momentum for WVU at home and go 4-0 OOC for first time in like ever.
UNC has an injured QB. Beat Cal and Cuse. SMU could be trap, but hopefully crap. Beat Virginia and BC. That leaves Clemson and Lville. I’m glad they started with Kent rather than YSU….

The schedule might be the 2nd easiest in history besides Chryst's 1st year when he still only managed to go 6-6.

These are ESPN's % chance Pitt wins:

Cincy: 57%
WVU: 56%
YSU: 94%
UNC: 45% (surprised this high but UNC QB out for year)
Cal: 65%
Syr: 66%
SMU: 30%
UVa: 69%
Clem: 41%
Lou: 19%
BC: 57%

Underdogs in only 4 games. All games winnable but conversely, all loseable but YSU. We can get to 6-1 without having to do anything crazy and if we are that, we go into November with at least having a dream of the CFP.

Win next week, get momentum for WVU at home and go 4-0 OOC for first time in like ever.
UNC has an injured QB. Beat Cal and Cuse. SMU could be trap, but hopefully crap. Beat Virginia and BC. That leaves Clemson and Lville. I’m glad they started with Kent rather than YSU….
10?!? We are going to Atlanta in January mutherflugger. 15 wins right.

Reactions: H2Ppanthers
The schedule might be the 2nd easiest in history besides Chryst's 1st year when he still only managed to go 6-6.

Underdogs in only 4 games. All games winnable but conversely, all loseable but YSU. We can get to 6-1 without having to do anything crazy and if we are that, we go into November with at least having a dream of the CFP.

We don't have more talent than any team besides YSU, so I see every game as a struggle that could go either way

Last edited:

Link?

There is absolutely zero chance that this happens.

We have no defense really. Our OL is thin. We will and are a better team than last year, but any injuries will decimate us. I think a winning record would be a legit victory for us at this point.

Reactions: FireballZ
There is absolutely zero chance that this happens.

We have no defense really. Our OL is thin. We will and are a better team than last year, but any injuries will decimate us. I think a winning record would be a legit victory for us at this point.
To me, 8-4 would be the high water mark and a terrific season. Going into a bowl game with a chance to end the season ranked would be a major accomplishment. I'd be very happy to be sitting at 3-1.

I went into the season thinking 6-6. After yesterday, I'm thinking 7-5 is the reasonable expectation.

Reactions: President Stache
To me, 8-4 would be the high water mark and a terrific season. Going into a bowl game with a chance to end the season ranked would be a major accomplishment. I'd be very happy to be sitting at 3-1.

I went into the season thinking 6-6. After yesterday, I'm thinking 7-5 is the reasonable expectation.

I am absolutely psyched for the future of the Panthers with what I saw yesterday. The freshmen looked VERY good. However, a Fr QB is always going to have ups and downs. I was impressed with the weapons we have. But 4 sacks given up against Kent State... welp... you can only imagine what will happen against real recruited football players

I agree with you for sure

Not going to pretend I watched any game other than Pitt.
Cincinnati seems like it's going to be a race to hit 45 first.
Heard Syracuse looked great on offense against a much better Ohio (than Kent St.) but their run defense is terrible.
I refuse to speculate on the WVU game for the same reason I don't play in traffic.
And Clemson, who can say? They played Georgia whose backups would probably compete for a playoff spot.

Reactions: doubleAA's

ESPN’s numbers have certainly gotten better than the joke they were when they first got into the gambling business a few years ago, but they are still pretty bad. They may think Pitt has a 57% chance of winning, but in reality Cincinnati is about a 2 point favorite. It’s early in the season though and the market isn’t close to being efficient yet, so that could change by game time.

I would caution against buying into anything ESPN puts out numbers wise, they still come up with numbers that aren’t good at all.

Reactions: Joe the Panther Fan
Not sure the D line is going to be good enough. The transfers from that unit, particularly Jules, might be too much to overcome. Cornerbacks seem shaky. Reid is awesome, but can he stay healthy at that size and number of touches they need him to get? Cautiously optimistic, but still expect to be disappointed.

Reactions: FireballZ
I have to see the OL perform better in passing situations and improvement from the DT’s before I become bold. I believe Fitzsimmons and especially Brewu will help a lot.

I was unimpressed with our line play on either side of the ball. Even with a rather easy schedule, this team cannot beat P4 competition with our line play. I think we will be competitive in most games but probably lose more than we win. 6 wins max, but I will stick with my original projection prior to the Kent game of 5-7.

I think they’ll be much better than last year and an 8 win season appears reasonable. 10
Wins seems to bar a bit of a stretch. But certainly turning this thing around and having a winning season would be a major improvement and provide optimism for next year and beyond is a major achievement. Gotta stay healthy at the key positions

I am absolutely psyched for the future of the Panthers with what I saw yesterday. The freshmen looked VERY good. However, a Fr QB is always going to have ups and downs. I was impressed with the weapons we have. But 4 sacks given up against Kent State... welp... you can only imagine what will happen against real recruited football players

I agree with you for sure

Right - the fact that this thread even exists in bona fide lunacy. It's like a paraplegic who, through some medical breakthrough, was recently unexpectedly able to take a few steps en route to hopefully being able to walk again... and now he's talking about beating prime Carl Lewis is a race.

Reactions: President Stache
I was unimpressed with our line play on either side of the ball. Even with a rather easy schedule, this team cannot beat P4 competition with our line play. I think we will be competitive in most games but probably lose more than we win. 6 wins max, but I will stick with my original projection prior to the Kent game of 5-7.

I think they can win more than they lose. Agree about line play, but hopeful they can improve some from where they are now.

Reactions: Pittisit4me
ESPN FPI moved Pitt up 9 spots. Has Pitt favored next week. And projected 7-5. But a 4% chance now of making playoff. I’m telling yinzers, this is a soft schedule. I get people will say they will Pitt, but one game at a time. Hope is still alive through week 1.
It's a ridiculously soft schedule and weak conference. Some might scoff at 4%, but if someone told you that you had a 4% chance of getting killed by an illegal alien today, you'd be nervous!

Reactions: Celtsfan
It's a ridiculously soft schedule and weak conference. Some might scoff at 4%, but if someone told you that you had a 4% chance of getting killed by an illegal alien today, you'd be nervous!

A 4% chance of making the CFP is crazy high but the schedule is the 2nd easiest ever. Even easier than Penn State's

You have to make predictions as if you're going to put money on it. The risk of losing money chases away bold predictions.

But you never know. How many people predicted 11-3 in 2021? How many predicted that Pitt would be 3-9 last season? It's unpredictable. I think the picture will become a little clearer after the WVU game.

Still too early to know, but I'm looking at 4 losses and 2 toss-ups.

I'd love to see those 10 wins that you do, and I'll be ecstatic if that happens.

However, the best scenario I see right now is 8-4, which would please me.

Reactions: Upg bobcat
Not going to pretend I watched any game other than Pitt.
Cincinnati seems like it's going to be a race to hit 45 first.
Heard Syracuse looked great on offense against a much better Ohio (than Kent St.) but their run defense is terrible.
I refuse to speculate on the WVU game for the same reason I don't play in traffic.
And Clemson, who can say? They played Georgia whose backups would probably compete for a playoff spot.

I watched the Miami game, they look legit good. But they are Miami, so the QB will get hurt, they will lose a game with a late PF penalty, and lose to a really bad team come winter in the north.

Ugly, but 2-0 is 2-0. I still stand by my thought that with this schedule, they can get to 10. A tougher schedule no, but this schedule, yes.

Reactions: cbpitt2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT