ADVERTISEMENT

I’ve tried my best to remain loyal to Narduzzi…

HailToPitt725

Head Coach
May 16, 2016
And I hate to make a post like this with so many games left, but this certainly feels like an era-defining game.

There’d been close calls in the past, but we had only lost to two G5 teams (Navy, UCF) and never lost to a MAC team under Pat Narduzzi until today. Obviously the expectations should be higher than this, but the point I’m making is that he had more-or-less won the games he was supposed to and lost the games where we were outmatched; that is pretty much good enough for Pitt. That changed today. I was also unimpressed with how the defense has regressed. The secondary looks like it did the first few seasons under this scheme, something that shouldn’t be happening in year seven.

I thought coming into 2021 that it was a “make-or-break” season for him and his staff, and they still have time to turn it around as the season progresses, but a loss like this certainly has the potential to derail a once-promising season. Many people (including myself) have mentioned the culture that Narduzzi has developed since he was first hired in 2015. We’ll get to see how it holds up against unprecedented adversity the next three weeks as we head into ACC play. That should give us a good idea of whether he’s still the right man for the job at Pitt. Just my opinion.

Not sure there’s any defenses left. Most reasonable fans know and just expect a good season here and there. It’s not gonna be consistent top 20s. But as has been said many times today alone - it’s year 7. We know what he is. And this was the opportunity for that good season. And I suppose it could still happen. But I wouldn’t even bet a 10 spot on it. In fact I’d rather bet they’ll win one you don’t expect them to and lose one or 2 they shouldn’t.

Fire him now. You can pick up a highschool coach to win 6 games and pay him less. At this point I am just about past the point of caring what they do. With the changes going on in college football the writing is on the wall that they are never going to compete even if they really cared going forward. I am just exhausted trying to be a fan anymore

Not sure there’s any defenses left. Most reasonable fans know and just expect a good season here and there. It’s not gonna be consistent top 20s. But as has been said many times today alone - it’s year 7. We know what he is. And this was the opportunity for that good season. And I suppose it could still happen. But I wouldn’t even bet a 10 spot on it. In fact I’d rather bet they’ll win one you don’t expect them to and lose one or 2 they shouldn’t.
He blows. Should have never been extended after finishing 5-7.

And I hate to make a post like this with so many games left, but this certainly feels like an era-defining game.

There’d been close calls in the past, but we had only lost to two G5 teams (Navy, UCF) and never lost to a MAC team under Pat Narduzzi until today. Obviously the expectations should be higher than this, but the point I’m making is that he had more-or-less won the games he was supposed to and lost the games where we were outmatched; that is pretty much good enough for Pitt. That changed today. I was also unimpressed with how the defense has regressed. The secondary looks like it did the first few seasons under this scheme, something that shouldn’t be happening in year seven.

I thought coming into 2021 that it was a “make-or-break” season for him and his staff, and they still have time to turn it around as the season progresses, but a loss like this certainly has the potential to derail a once-promising season. Many people (including myself) have mentioned the culture that Narduzzi has developed since he was first hired in 2015. We’ll get to see how it holds up against unprecedented adversity the next three weeks as we head into ACC play. That should give us a good idea of whether he’s still the right man for the job at Pitt. Just my opinion.
I agree with you because it is era defining. They’ll maybe go 6-6, 7-5 this year on the arm of Pickett. Next year they open with WVU, Tennessee, WMU with a new QB; good chance of a 4 win year next year. How can administration support him if those, probable, things occur?

Fire him now. You can pick up a highschool coach to win 6 games and pay him less. At this point I am just about past the point of caring what they do. With the changes going on in college football the writing is on the wall that they are never going to compete even if they really cared going forward. I am just exhausted trying to be a fan anymore

We had 3 coaches in 3 years a few years back and won 6 each year , so..... Agree

Reactions: PittPoker

He is not smart. I watched the game here in DC. He had a chance to change the narrative he didn’t. I like you supported him. Not anymore.

Reactions: WannyandWalt
He blows. Should have never been extended after finishing 5-7.
No argument here. I have zero interest in going to games, and won’t jump thru any hoops to see it on tv either. I happen to have a Roku so bringing up the ESPN app is about the max effort I’m willing to make. Couldn’t care less if Comcast gets ACCN at the moment. I actually wish this was an ACCN game - I might have done something fun, productive or worthwhile.

Hold on guys. Give Duzz a chance to “check the tape” before crushing him.
You are dreaming. They stink on defense. STINK! I now think Narduzzi will never get it done here at Pitt. We need a new staff after this year. They are no fun to watch period No wonder almost No one comes to the games. Narduzzi is so weak. He's afraid to make staff changes or to dumb to know he has to. Without Pickett this team wouldn't win a game and with this defense they could lose them all.

This sucks

so does the entire concept of “hiring an entirely new staff”…. LOL

talk about dreaming…. Holy Christ… never happen

and we’re right back to 5 years of purgatory again

over and over…

I agree with you because it is era defining. They’ll maybe go 6-6, 7-5 this year on the arm of Pickett. Next year they open with WVU, Tennessee, WMU with a new QB; good chance of a 4 win year next year. How can administration support him if those, probable, things occur?

6 or 7 wins this year would be overachieving and Narduzzi would probably celebrate that, that's how dumb he is. With no defense, and especially no secondary, no running game, poor line play, and very poor coaching, it's pretty tough to see anything more than 6 wins this year. All we have is a kid at QB with a lot of heart and guts and a pretty good sense of the game and a good arm. Whatever wins we have this year, it will be because Pickett carried the team on his back and ignored his coaches.

I've had Narduzzi's back through everything - losing to Ryan Switzer on 4th down over and over, the losses to winless UNC, The endless fades and push offs by VT, getting pounded by Clemson, Notre Dame, and Penn State, but that all changed today. This was Narduzzi's Cincinnati moment. It's over. I don't know when he'll be shown the door - either this year or next - but it's over. He's not the guy.

It sucks. I've been a Pitt fan for 20+ years. Season ticket holder. Feel like my entire like has been rooting for small victories like Fitz, Shady, Donald, beating Clemson, etc. but I always thought that AT LEAST we'd get a 10 win season someday. Now I really don't know. It's like working hard to be an actress and then one day you realize the problem isn't your acting, it's that you just aren't pretty enough. Feels like it's never going to happen for us. I'm crushed.

*Edit* Shout out to Kenny Pickett. Dude is a warrior. Great games by Krull and Addison, too. It sucks watching them fight for nothing.

I totally agree with HailtoPitt. I was hoping things would move upward this year, but I guess it's not happening. Pickett looked great today along with some of the receivers. The defense on the other hand was awful. I do not want to single out players. The way a MAC school moved the ball up and down the field should embarrass Narduzzi. I think 1 of the problems is that they play too aggressive and can't tackle. On 1 of the touchdowns 1 of the defensive backs tried to hit the receiver instead of trying to wrap him up. I saw a lot of that in a DB that was supposed to make an NFL roster this year but got cut. My final complaint happened on the post game show. Even though Pickett threw for over 350 yards, 6 td's and 49 rushing yards, Narduzzi had the gall to bring up the int and fumble Pickett had. While turnovers aren't good for a team, the defense did absolutely nothing to help the team. Sorry, but without Pickett today would have been real ugly. I don't know what Heather will do later in the season but based on what we have seen it is probably time for a change.

I've had Narduzzi's back through everything - losing to Ryan Switzer on 4th down over and over, the losses to winless UNC, The endless fades and push offs by VT, getting pounded by Clemson, Notre Dame, and Penn State, but that all changed today. This was Narduzzi's Cincinnati moment. It's over. I don't know when he'll be shown the door - either this year or next - but it's over. He's not the guy.

It sucks. I've been a Pitt fan for 20+ years. Season ticket holder. Feel like my entire like has been rooting for small victories like Fitz, Shady, Donald, beating Clemson, etc. but I always thought that AT LEAST we'd get a 10 win season someday. Now I really don't know. It's like working hard to be an actress and then one day you realize the problem isn't your acting, it's that you just aren't pretty enough. Feels like it's never going to happen for us. I'm crushed.

*Edit* Shout out to Kenny Pickett. Dude is a warrior. Great games by Krull and Addison, too. It sucks watching them fight for nothing.
You talk about Kenny, Krull, and Addison. You could say the same for Peterman, Conner, and that offense group as well. He let those guys down too. Just sad really

H2P

I totally agree with HailtoPitt. I was hoping things would move upward this year, but I guess it's not happening. Pickett looked great today along with some of the receivers. The defense on the other hand was awful. I do not want to single out players. The way a MAC school moved the ball up and down the field should embarrass Narduzzi. I think 1 of the problems is that they play too aggressive and can't tackle. On 1 of the touchdowns 1 of the defensive backs tried to hit the receiver instead of trying to wrap him up. I saw a lot of that in a DB that was supposed to make an NFL roster this year but got cut. My final complaint happened on the post game show. Even though Pickett threw for over 350 yards, 6 td's and 49 rushing yards, Narduzzi had the gall to bring up the int and fumble Pickett had. While turnovers aren't good for a team, the defense did absolutely nothing to help the team. Sorry, but without Pickett today would have been real ugly. I don't know what Heather will do later in the season but based on what we have seen it is probably time for a change.
The sad part is that Narduzzi is such a likable guy. The Pitt job is a prestigious job. I know I am going to be laugh at but it is. Pitt plays in a P5 conference. It is a world class university I need a world class city. I get folks think no on campus stadium holds Pitt back but my view is Pitt is the flagship school of Pittsburgh. Please don’t hire a successful non P5 coach. Hire a successful P5 coach.

I admit I was ready to put the axe to him after BC last year. Since he was retained I was optimistic that this year would be the difference. As many said, favorable schedule with talent coming back. Not happening! We were completely out coached and out performed by what was the stronger team.

This sucks to be completely honest. And considering we have zero defense and our only offensive weapon is Pickett, any ACC team would be idiotic not to take away our passing game and force us to run the ball.

May be a long rest of the season but hopefully we can win a few of these. I hope I’m wrong and we win more than I expect!

The sad part is that Narduzzi is such a likable guy. The Pitt job is a prestigious job. I know I am going to be laugh at but it is. Pitt plays in a P5 conference. It is a world class university I need a world class city. I get folks think no on campus stadium holds Pitt back but my view is Pitt is the flagship school of Pittsburgh. Please don’t hire a successful non P5 coach. Hire a successful P5 coach.

Narduzzi is such a good fit but I think at this point the problems outweigh the benefits. We're far enough from the dark ages of Haywood, Graham, and Chryst that we shouldn't make a decision based on fear. I'm not smart enough on the details of his contract or recruiting to judge whether he has to be retained or not. But I get the sense that Lyke is pretty decisive and I think it may be over at the end of this year unless he goes on an absolute tear through the ACC.

Narduzzi is such a good fit but I think at this point the problems outweigh the benefits. We're far enough from the dark ages of Haywood, Graham, and Chryst that we shouldn't make a decision based on fear. I'm not smart enough on the details of his contract or recruiting to judge whether he has to be retained or not. But I get the sense that Lyke is pretty decisive and I think it may be over at the end of this year unless he goes on an absolute tear through the ACC.
Narduzzi is a great fit. He does things the right way. He has a great locker room full of players with class. What he hasn't done is elevate the program. There are a lot of games left to play this season, but even if the team is lacking in some areas, Narduzzi has to capitalize on having a QB like Pickett.

Well said and the same way I feel.

Yeah! Promote Coach K. He’s already working with the team.

Look its true...it's why he won't get fired for going 6-6 every year. He runs a clean program and his players like him. Pitt gets the same money if they are 5-7 or 10-2. So they don't care.
They also get the same attendance… student
Section full…. Other areas yesterday… not so much. A week after playing in a completely full SEC stadium…. Please explain that shit … how does that make ANY sense at all?…Seriously It doesn’t happen other places. And no it didn’t cause the loss but yes it’s salt in the wound at this point.

so why should they care??

Last edited:
I might be wrong here, the year Wanny lost to Bowling Green we won 10 games. And that was the first home game/game of the season.
If Duzz can’t break 6 wins this year lyke needs to have the talk, and that talk should be fire a coordinator, improve the next year, or be gone.

This sucks

so does the entire concept of “hiring an entirely new staff”…. LOL

talk about dreaming…. Holy Christ… never happen

and we’re right back to 5 years of purgatory again

over and over…
This is how I feel. I think it’s time to move on from Duzz. But I have no desire to actually go through this rebuild as a fan. Again.

They also get the same attendance… student
Section full…. Other areas yesterday… not so much. A week after playing in a completely full SEC stadium…. Please explain that shit … how does that make ANY sense at all?…Seriously It doesn’t happen other places. And no it didn’t cause the loss but yes it’s salt in the wound at this point.

so why should they care??
I know I'm with you. It just seems like with shared equal revenue that the administration doesn't care anymore.

I might be wrong here, the year Wanny lost to Bowling Green we won 10 games. And that was the first home game/game of the season.
If Duzz can’t break 6 wins this year lyke needs to have the talk, and that talk should be fire a coordinator, improve the next year, or be gone.
But which coordinator? its a full-blown mess with both.

Let’s put it this way-Michigan absolutely destroyed that WMU team in all phases. Goes to show you just how far behind a borderline top 20-ish team like Michigan Pitt really is in year 7 of Doozieball. Let me say that again for emphasis: YEAR 7. Meanwhile, the program that hired Mel Tucker instead of Nardoogle to perform a total, ground up rebuild is sitting at 3-0 with a top 25 win in year 2 with new transfer starters all over the field, and looking pretty damned convincing, sound and solid while doing it. None of the clown show antics we see from our coaches and players on Saturdays.

Narduzzi is not very smart. He is not well-organized. He does not seem to have a clear vision for his program or the ability to mold it into that vision. He’s the same coach he was when Pitt opened the 2015 season with a narrow win over YSU. Enough already.

You raise a good point. As much as Whipple has struggled, this is the first time in Pitt football history that they’ve scored at least 40 points in their first three games.
I’m not convinced that this O is so great. We can’t run the ball and we haven’t played anybody with a pulse defensively yet where that will be a major problem. And yes I am very much including Tennessee in that statement.

Pickett has been playing like a 4 year starter should and the pass catchers have looked good. But we are totally one dimensional—Pickett is our leading rusher—and that will catch up with us when we play a sound defensive team.

I’m not convinced that this O is so great. We can’t run the ball and we haven’t played anybody with a pulse defensively yet where that will be a major problem. And yes I am very much including Tennessee in that statement.

Pickett has been playing like a 4 year starter should and the pass catchers have looked good. But we are totally one dimensional—Pickett is our leading rusher—and that will catch up with us when we play a sound defensive team.
I don’t disagree with you. Was just responding to a post that said the offense hasn’t been the problem, which I agree with. Scoring 40+ a game should be good enough to win, especially against Western Michigan.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT